PDA

View Full Version : Homer to Start Sunday, Leake Saturday

TheBigLebowski
08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Glad to see Homer back, but I thought we had seen all we were going to see from Mr. Leake after his last start. He's been one of the worst pitchers in major league baseball lately, and that's not editorialism on my part. Stats bear it out.

I like ML and I think he will be a cornerstone of this rotation for years to come, but he's not the pitcher he was at the beginning of the season....not by a long shot. Sad fact is, each subsequent game in which we run him out there we give ourselves a significant chance of losing.

Trying not to cry and whine....but some of the things this team has done lately make no sense.

Krawhitham
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
DL Leake and bring back Wood

It's like they do not even want to win

texasdave
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
With the way Wood was throwing you would think his place in the rotation would have been secure. I don't even try to figure these things out anymore. I just keep telling myself they know what they are doing.

knoonan991
08-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Going out on a limb, but I think Leake will have a great start tomorrow.

He has to know his chance to stay in the rotation for the rest of the year is now or never.

Trace's Daddy
08-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd like for Leake to go out with a bang (a good one) and then get shut down with confidence for next year. The probability of that happening is small. Hopefully he doesn't go out there and get rocked again and have it in the back of his mind until spring training.

bshall2105
08-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Leake cannot just stop right now. He has to get around 170 innings either in the majors or the minors. He will be pitching 130 innings next year too if we just cut him off now.

Krawhitham
08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Going out on a limb, but I think Leake will have a great start tomorrow.

He has to know his chance to stay in the rotation for the rest of the year is now or never.

I don't think it is mental I think he is tired, the same way Cueto was last year. Last Season they DLed Cueto for 2 weeks and he came back real strong, the same thing could work for Leake and if would fix the innings issue too

knoonan991
08-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think it is mental I think he is tired, the same way Cueto was last year. Last Season they DLed Cueto for 2 weeks and he came back real strong, the same thing could work for Leake and if would fix the innings issue too

True, his pitches don't seem to be breaking as much so I'm sure he is pretty gassed.

The only thing that I'm still scratching my head over is why he has been performing worse with more rest. Maybe it's just being out of his normal routine?

kfm
08-13-2010, 05:56 PM
With the way Wood was throwing you would think his place in the rotation would have been secure. I don't even try to figure these things out anymore. I just keep telling myself they know what they are doing.

I think I read somewhere that they are also monitoring his innings and that they were not going to pitch him for 9 days so they just decided to make it ten days and he will be back to pitch for the reds.

brm7675
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Glad to see Homer back, but I thought we had seen all we were going to see from Mr. Leake after his last start. He's been one of the worst pitchers in major league baseball lately, and that's not editorialism on my part. Stats bear it out.

I like ML and I think he will be a cornerstone of this rotation for years to come, but he's not the pitcher he was at the beginning of the season....not by a long shot. Sad fact is, each subsequent game in which we run him out there we give ourselves a significant chance of losing.

Trying not to cry and whine....but some of the things this team has done lately make no sense.

I would disagree on Leake, if you look at just his last two starts vs. the Cards and Pirates he had 1 bad inning in each game. In the Pirates game had Rolen made that play he is out of the inning. In the Card game maybe if the pitching coach would have come out and talked with him it would have been different. I am not willing to lable him as bad at this point.

Orodle
08-13-2010, 07:32 PM
you cant just DL someone because you want to. Players' association would have a fit.

bagz
08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I'd like for Leake to go out with a bang (a good one) and then get shut down with confidence for next year. The probability of that happening is small. Hopefully he doesn't go out there and get rocked again and have it in the back of his mind until spring training.

That's exactly what I think has to happen here. He needs to finish his season on a positive note for his confidence.

davereds24
08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
you cant just DL someone because you want to. Players' association would have a fit.

The way Leake has been pitching they would have no problem getting away with it. Fatigue is a reason to put someone on the DL.

redlegs2370
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I have read a lot about a pitchers innings but wouldn't pitch count be as/more important than innings pitched?

Eric the Red
08-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I look for Homer to step up on Sunday. He was outstanding last year in August/September and he knows he'll have to pitch well if he wants another start this season. Not only is this a big start for Homer individually, but his perfomance is big for the organization as a whole. It will shape the way things will go for the rest of this season.

takealeake
08-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Hopefully Leake can step up. To be fair, he's been snakebitten almost always by just ONE bad inning where things didn't go his way and he couldn't get out of the inning. Then the rest of his innings are usually low pitch count shutdown mode. He hasn't been able to buy a break to get out of his one trouble inning at all the past couple months. Anything and everything went wrong for him in those innings.

Roush's socks
08-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Hopefully Leake can step up. To be fair, he's been snakebitten almost always by just ONE bad inning where things didn't go his way and he couldn't get out of the inning. Then the rest of his innings are usually low pitch count shutdown mode. He hasn't been able to buy a break to get out of his one trouble inning at all the past couple months. Anything and everything went wrong for him in those innings.

Yeah Leake has looked good for long stretches and then blown it in big innings, sometimes without getting hit that hard. I am not sure what they are going to do with him. At 132 innings he really isn't overworked yet by most standards. Also, he hasn't looked better when he's had extra rest, in fact it seems to make him worse. They would have to shut him down for 2-4 weeks to really have any kind of rebound, and then he would need a little rehab.