PDA

View Full Version : Too much Hudy for Paul Keels tonight?

Redlegs
08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
He's called Volquez "Cueto", Edmonds "Bruce", and he announced the 3rd out of an inning when there was only two.

Sounds like Mr. Keels is "gettin' moody" in the booth.

Joseph
08-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Mr Keels is just not a baseball announcer.

Redlegs
08-13-2010, 08:20 PM
He just called Dan Uggla "Cody Ross". Keels has just gone 3 2/3 innings so far. Rough outting for the voice of the Buckeyes.

Ghosts of 1990
08-13-2010, 08:22 PM
He's just really, really bad in the booth. Extremely bad.

GADawg
08-13-2010, 08:27 PM
well the Reds are wearing him down...he didn't call any innings last year and now he's called probably close to 180 this season...probably time to shut 'er down!!:D

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 08:45 PM
He also said that Bip Roberts was the last player to wear #10 before it was retired.

WRONG!

He then corrected himself and said that it was Eddie Taubensee.

WRONG AGAIN!

(Psst, Paul…try Jason Romano.)

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Duplicate post.

lollipopcurve
08-13-2010, 08:53 PM
He's settled down since switching to Burger.

TeamBoone
08-13-2010, 08:53 PM
He also said that Bip Roberts was the last player to wear #10 before it was retired.

WRONG!

He then corrected himself and said that it was Eddie Taubensee.

WRONG AGAIN!

(Psst, Paul…try Jason Romano.)

To his credit, he said he wasn't sure.

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 09:03 PM
To his credit, he said he wasn't sure.

If you're not sure, don't say anything! Especially if you are supposedly a trivia Jedi. But don't spew inaccurate trivia.

Redlegs
08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
He gave the incorrect score at the end of 7 1/2 innings.

Reds Fanatic
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I remember a play in the Cardinal series where he referred to the CF as 3 different people before finally figuring out it was Stubbs.

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I'd rather listen to nothing then listen to him. He has no character in his voice. A good play or bad play results in the same monotone voice. I like Thom, Marty, Jeff, & Chris.. Hell bring back George Grand who would probably be had for free knowing we now have Edmonds, Springer, Ciaro, and Izzy. What more can a Cardinals fan want?

Dom Heffner
08-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Back in the early 90's he was one of the instructors at the broadcasting school I attended. One of the most down to earth, nicest guys ever- seriously it pains me to hear you guys rip him because he was that nice.

It was a bit odd, though, to be going to night school and having the former voice of the Detroit Pistons teaching you.

I always wondered why he was the "former" guy, maybe you guys are on to something.

kbrake
08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I think he is fantastic as the voice of the Buckeyes and I wanted to give him as much of a chance as possible. But, its just not working. I'm sure he is a great person but he is a disaster calling baseball.

Redsfaithful
08-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I think he is fantastic as the voice of the Buckeyes and I wanted to give him as much of a chance as possible. But, its just not working. I'm sure he is a great person but he is a disaster calling baseball.

This is pretty much my take, I'm shocked at how bad it's been. I've always really enjoyed listening to him with Ohio State.

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 02:15 AM
He's perfect if you want to hear the story of Hal King or "The True Creature" during a drubbing, but play by play is not Paul's forte. Tonight was a rough night. I like his voice for pre-season football. I liked it that he drew attention to the plight of Ickey Woods' son tonight, a very sad story. I don't know why, but I like him anyway. It's just baseball, and the facts will do. Back off.

Ron Madden
08-14-2010, 03:33 AM
He gave the incorrect score at the end of 7 1/2 innings.

Marty did the same thing when Bruce homered he said it gave the Reds A 6-0 lead.

I'm not a big fan of Paul Keels but for god sakes everyone makes mistakes every now and then. That's why they put rubber on the end of pencils.

kbrake
08-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I understand everyone makes mistakes but Keels is on a completely different level right now.

Couple nights ago he twice referred to "Kerry Wood's" near perfect game in Philadelphia.

And last night was just one after another.

Its like Brantley doing PBP on radio if all you're doing is listening good luck figuring out what's actually going on.

Like I said love Keels as the voice of the Buckeyes but this isn't going well. Before the All Star break I though I'd regret signing OC the most but the break helped him far more than Keels.

I still hope he figures it out I like his voice but the mistakes are piling up.

Redlegs
08-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Marty did the same thing when Bruce homered he said it gave the Reds A 6-0 lead.

I'm not a big fan of Paul Keels but for god sakes everyone makes mistakes every now and then. That's why they put rubber on the end of pencils.

I'm fine with someone making a mistake. This was the last one I caught at the end of a bad night for Keels. That's all.

BCubb2003
08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I like Keels' voice. I think the play-by-play man should be a neutral canvas and let the color guy be "colorful." But he did have a lot of glitches on facts last night. Not in a rambling Joe Nuxhall "left-right center" way, just getting scores, innings and names wrong. Getting those things right is what we need him for.

MWM
08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd rather listen to Keels make 100 mistakes a game than listen to Thom not making any. I'm probably in the minority who love listening to him in the booth for the Reds. He's professional, calls the game, and doesn't turn everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, into the most dramatic event in the history of baseball. Thom is as bad as it gets, IMO...... Tim McCarver territory. With Keels, at least I'm never tempted to throw something at the TV telling him to shut up. Maybe he needs more time to adjust to major league baseball, but I'll take miscues over the nonsense constantly spewing out of Brenneman any day.

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd rather listen to Keels make 100 mistakes a game than listen to Thom not making any. I'm probably in the minority who love listening to him in the booth for the Reds. He's professional, calls the game, and doesn't turn everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, into the most dramatic event in the history of baseball. Thom is as bad as it gets, IMO...... Tim McCarver territory. With Keels, at least I'm never tempted to throw something at the TV telling him to shut up. Maybe he needs more time to adjust to major league baseball, but I'll take miscues over the nonsense constantly spewing out of Brenneman any day.

No, with Keels I'm always tempted to turn the TV off.

Cedric
08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
No, with Keels I'm always tempted to turn the TV off.

I agree completely.

westofyou
08-14-2010, 12:02 PM

What's a pencil old timer?

lollipopcurve
08-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Amen to that. Plus, worth noting that TB isn't great with the details either.

Redlegs
08-14-2010, 01:01 PM

In regards to your post, I can only say, "Holy Moses!"

westofyou
08-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Amen to that. Plus, worth noting that TB isn't great with the details either.

Can YOU believe THAT!!

I mean CAN you BELIEVE that?

VR
08-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I envision Paul Keels having a laptop on the side with an online game of bridge going on with some members of his Polo club.

He's the antithesis of this guy.

http://carlosanastacio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

MWM
08-14-2010, 01:37 PM
People have different preferences. Personally, I prefer commentators who understand that I'm not watching a game to hear them... and who also don't think they have to constantly impart their baseball wisdom to the unwashed masses who can't possibly know what he knows. They approach the broadcast as if they're afraid that there might be ONE person listening out there who won't grasp what REALLY just happened if they don't point it out in a way that it's impossible to miss. Thom is the embodiment of that (which his dad never was). I get that some people prefer that, I'm just not one of those people.

mdccclxix
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Keels is getting worse and I think it's the pressure he feels from the fans. You can tell when a guy is pressing...PDoc starting out on Extra Innings...then Doc Rodgers same thing...Brantley doing PBP...Steve Stewart trying to be the "bad boy"...etc. It's sad because that job is REALLY difficult to make look easy.

I think Marty is like a bird dog that can just spot things others can't, then he's a yeoman poet, then he's a cranky uncle, he's great. By and large, I want to watch the Reds, I really don't let the announcers bother me, especially in comparison to Marty.

This year the TV broadcast can go long periods without talking, and that's the absence of George Grand, for sure. Sometimes it seems like Thom and Chris are oil and water. In a way, I think Thom could do more to enjoy the game, he gets a little over analytical.

Roy Tucker
Bad football announcers tend to bother me more than bad baseball announcers.

Keels' voice timbre is great and he sounds pretty good but does get some stuff wrong. Actually, that usually gets my attention more because my little baseball radar detector goes off and I think "huh?" and makes me think.

I like all the Reds announcers. They all have their pros and cons, but as whole, I like 'em all. I concentrate more on what I see than what they say anyhow. There is a lot of stuff that happens that they just pass right on over.

mdccclxix
Bad football announcers tend to bother me more than bad baseball announcers.

Keels' voice timbre is great and he sounds pretty good but does get some stuff wrong. Actually, that usually gets my attention more because my little baseball radar detector goes off and I think "huh?" and makes me think.

I like all the Reds announcers. They all have their pros and cons, but as whole, I like 'em all. I concentrate more on what I see than what they say. There is a lot of stuff that happens that they just pass right on over.

+1

Ron Madden
08-14-2010, 01:57 PM
What's a pencil old timer?

Ahh forget it. ;)

VR
08-14-2010, 02:08 PM
People have different preferences. Personally, I prefer commentators who understand that I'm not watching a game to hear them... and who also don't think they have to constantly impart their baseball wisdom to the unwashed masses who can't possibly know what he knows. They approach the broadcast as if they're afraid that there might be ONE person listening out there who won't grasp what REALLY just happened if they don't point it out in a way that it's impossible to miss. Thom is the embodiment of that (which his dad never was). I get that some people prefer that, I'm just not one of those people.

They are both on the extreme...that is for sure. I guess when I have to choose, I like the fact that Thom shows a bit of enthusiasm for the home team.....while Keels sounds like working on a neutral broadcast. I'm not advocating the over the top homerism we see from some, but hopefully people get the idea.

I'm more of a Jon Miller guy. Now when to entertain the listeners, know when to be quiet.

Nasty_Boy
08-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I think its funny to see the different taste people have in announcers... Me and most of my buddies were talking last night that Keels was the only reason we had the sound on because we can't stand to listen to "Cowgirl" as we call him. We love that Keels knows quite a bit of baseball history and speaks of going to Reds games as a kid. And maybe this is knitpicking, but I can't stand that Brantley knows so little about the history of the game. I found it ignorant that Brantley gave credit to Edmonds for Jay Bruce's HR last night. He and Marty love pile on players IMO.

So in others words, I enjoy Keels. I like the Creeper. Thom is kinda in the middle. Cowgirl is miserable. And Marty is great when he's calling a game and not spewing venom on a random player or on some random subject... It just seems like Marty does more of the negative stuff than anything anymore.

KronoRed
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Can YOU believe THAT!!

I mean CAN you BELIEVE that?

Yep, and if whatever event triggers that happens in the 1st the game stops mattering it becomes the 'Thom is whiny about something that happened 2 hours ago show'

Keels may may a mistake now and then but he's the best the Reds have on radio or tv right now.

mdccclxix
08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I think its funny to see the different taste people have in announcers... Me and most of my buddies were talking last night that Keels was the only reason we had the sound on because we can't stand to listen to "Cowgirl" as we call him. We love that Keels knows quite a bit of baseball history and speaks of going to Reds games as a kid. And maybe this is knitpicking, but I can't stand that Brantley knows so little about the history of the game. I found it ignorant that Brantley gave credit to Edmonds for Jay Bruce's HR last night. He and Marty love pile on players IMO.

So in others words, I enjoy Keels. I like the Creeper. Thom is kinda in the middle. Cowgirl is miserable. And Marty is great when he's calling a game and not spewing venom on a random player or on some random subject... It just seems like Marty does more of the negative stuff than anything anymore.

No doubt the winning has helped ratings, but maybe having this wide roster of announcers to appeal to various tastes has been worth the investment by Fox and WLW or the Reds, whoever pays them.

Redsfan320
08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
the best the Reds have on radio or tv right now.

Marty Brennaman. Hands down. Possibly the best broadcaster ever.

Redsfan320
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
No doubt the winning has helped ratings, but maybe having this wide roster of announcers to appeal to various tastes has been worth the investment by Fox and WLW or the Reds, whoever pays them.

Just FYI, it is indeed the Reds who pay the broadcasters.

KronoRed
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Marty Brennaman. Hands down. Possibly the best broadcaster ever.

Not for me pal :D

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I found it ignorant that Brantley gave credit to Edmonds for Jay Bruce's HR last night.

That really caught my attention too last night.. I didn't follow the reasoning on that

MWM
08-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Marty Brennenan was great for most of his career, but I think you need to get out more if you think he's one of the best ever. He could never hold a candle to the Ernie Harwell's of the world. And most of the people I know who've been around long enough even prefer Hoyt to Marty for the Reds.

Redsfan320
08-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Marty Brennenan was great for most of his career, but I think you need to get out more if you think he's one of the best ever. He could never hold a candle to the Ernie Harwell's of the world. And most of the people I know who've been around long enough even prefer Hoyt to Marty for the Reds.

I don't know about Ernie Harwell, but I am taking Vin Scully into account when I say that.

MWM
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Marty was great, but he's not in the same category as in Scully, IMO. He's about the only guy i'd watch a game just to hear him call it.

BoydsOfSummer
08-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I felt a little cringe last night when he was telling us about the son of Ickey Woods. He called him "Ickey Junior". Ickey's real name is Elbert or Elwood...something like that. The kid's name is Jovante. He's a young guy fighting for his life, I think a little better respect was in order.

But, overall Paul doesn't bother me. He doesn't get in the way, and he's easy to tune out if you want, two qualities I LOVE in an announcer. :)

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Marty was great, but he's not in the same category as in Scully, IMO. He's about the only guy i'd watch a game just to hear him call it.

Yeah. People that aren't accustomed to Marty listen for three innings and wonder why this gentleman is apparently talking about everything besides the contest taking place.

Big Klu
08-15-2010, 12:22 AM

I've listened to Vin Scully the last few years on MLB Extra Innings when they have had the free preview for the first couple of weeks, and I'm sorry to say that I've been very disappointed. It seems that he has slipped considerably as he's gotten older. I remember hearing him on NBC's Game Of The Week in the 80's, and the Scully of today pales in comparision. I agree completely that he will be remembered as possibly the best of all time, but he isn't there anymore. Maybe it's the fact that he flies solo for nine innings.

cumberlandreds
08-15-2010, 08:25 AM
After listening to Keels for a few games now, he makes a lot of mistakes with players names. He's getting names of batters and people on bases wrong. To me that's just not paying attention. I know someone can do this every so often but not multiple times in a game which is what Keels is doing. I guess will be getting an extra heeping helping of him now too since Thom has broken his leg.

GAC
08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I think he is fantastic as the voice of the Buckeyes

Yep. he does do a really good job.

lollipopcurve
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I will go with the Marlins crew today. Can't take any more Brantley....

Redlegs
08-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Jeff Brantley is a good color man. Chris Welsh is the best color man and my favorite of all the Reds announcers including Marty. I really enjoy the team of Thom and Chris the best these days.

I also like all the stuff Marty talks about besides the game. If you're a local guy or a 700WLW listener, you get most of it. I find it entertaining. I mean, who else would talk for 2 innings about the availability of Crest Whitening Expressions vanilla mint toothpaste? I think it's refreshing. Both of 'em. :)

Redlegs
08-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I felt a little cringe last night when he was telling us about the son of Ickey Woods. He called him "Ickey Junior". Ickey's real name is Elbert or Elwood...something like that. The kid's name is Jovante. He's a young guy fighting for his life, I think a little better respect was in order.

I think we're dipping into the "splitting hairs" category here. I think the fact he mentioned it on the air was very respectful. Everyone in Cincy knows Elbert Woods as Ickey.

alexad
08-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Jeff Brantley is a good color man. Chris Welsh is the best color man and my favorite of all the Reds announcers including Marty. I really enjoy the team of Thom and Chris the best these days.

I also like all the stuff Marty talks about besides the game. If you're a local guy or a 700WLW listener, you get most of it. I find it entertaining. I mean, who else would talk for 2 innings about the availability of Crest Whitening Expressions vanilla mint toothpaste? I think it's refreshing. Both of 'em. :)

Chris Welsh is terrible. He could notthrow a baseball during the day and he can not announce. He looks like an idiot on TV.

Brantley at times is hard to stand, but atleast he is having fun and it shows. He is corny. He is a better TV guy than play by play guy. He stinks at that.

I still love Jim Kelch. I think he does a super job. He does his homework and he reminds me of the old timers who broadcasted years ago. He is old school and he really gives you a feel of the game. He describes it to you. Not many radio guys give you the total details of the game. I like to know where the wind is blowing and where the 3rd baseman is standing. He gives you a picture of the game. A good broadcaster allows you to close your eyes and picture the game. Jim does just that.

I still wonder why these guys take all these days off. If I was a broadcaster for the Reds, you would have to pry me from the broadcast booth. Take your vacations during the offseason.

It is hard to get a real feel for the Reds because everynight there is someone else in the TV booth and in the Radio Booth. Stick with the same guys.

Paul is a great announcer for the Buckeyes. Why?? He studies them non stop and does it on a consistant basis. His mistakes are from not being around the team all the time.

Dom Heffner
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I will go with the Marlins crew today. Can't take any more Brantley....

Thank you. Any praise for Brantley is too much.

He's among the worst I've ever heard.

Been listening to Bob Uecker some this year and I never walk away un-entertained.

When the Brewers were absolutely destroying the Pirates in Pittsburgh, he said something like, "Well the Pirates' fans are walking across the bridge, on their way home early- some have even jumped off..."

The Brewers are lucky.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Not sure if it's pure ironic coincidence or if the Reds have realized that Keels is awful, but the radio is perfectly synced up with the game action on television today. Previously, the radio was delayed significantly by up to five seconds, however, Keels is so awful that I just dealt with the delay and had the radio feed on with the TV on.

Now with everything synced up, it's a no-brainer.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Most diehard Buckeye fans I know cannot stand Keels as the voice of the Buckeyes.

Personally, I loved Chuck Underwood and Terry Smith. Keels is not near the same level as those two, however, he is somewhat tolerable doing OSU hoops.

The fact that he announces my two favorites (Buckeye football and Reds baseball) is painful to me.

westofyou
08-15-2010, 02:42 PM

I also like all the stuff Marty talks about besides the game. If you're a local guy or a 700WLW listener, you get most of it. I find it entertaining.

The world is bigger place than the seven hills area, the Reds fan base included, noting that by not being too esoteric is preferred. The listener has dialed in for the game, it's really quite a simple concept when looked at why the mic has been turned on, it's for the game.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Thom is great. I don't think he tries to impart 'his' wisdom on anybody. If anything, he does a great job of setting himself up to be ignorant so he can make his color guy sound even smarter. To me, that's the mark of a true professional. I'll take Thom over anyone the Reds have had doing television for the past several years. By far and it's not even close.

paintmered
08-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I wish that Welsh could put a shocker collar on Thom so that Thom can get a little zap whenever he starts to pontificate.

Redlegs
08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Thom is great. I don't think he tries to impart 'his' wisdom on anybody. If anything, he does a great job of setting himself up to be ignorant so he can make his color guy sound even smarter. To me, that's the mark of a true professional. I'll take Thom over anyone the Reds have had doing television for the past several years. By far and it's not even close.Absolutey agree with you 100%. :thumbup:

GAC
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
He just doo'd it again in the 7th inning of this Sunday game on the foul pop-up to 1B where he says Votto's there to gather it in. Votto was booted in the 1st inning Paul. That was Edmonds. :)

KronoRed
08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I wish that Welsh could put a shocker collar on Thom so that Thom can get a little zap whenever he starts to pontificate.

He'd be knocked out by the 2nd inning.