PDA

View Full Version : Reds look like a different team tonight

Redlegs
08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Going up against a pitcher that's as good or better than any of the big three St. Louis tossed at them earlier in the week.

This team has to learn to relax and play in the big ones. I think they will and this team will eventually win the NL Central when the dust settles this season.

RED VAN HOT
08-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Having an off day yesterday was the best thing that could have happened to this team. Relax, take a deep breath, and get back to concentrating on good AB's, aggressive base running, and trusting your teammates to pick you up.

Dom Heffner
08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
It didn't hurt that the Marlins got in to Cincy at 5:30 AM.

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2010, 09:02 PM
It didn't hurt that the Marlins got in to Cincy at 5:30 AM.

Tell me someone didn't deploy emergency escape slide? Or perhaps La Russa didn't hire a private jet to fly them into cvg?

Dom Heffner
08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Tell me someone didn't deploy emergency escape slide? Or perhaps La Russa didn't hire a private jet to fly them into cvg?

The Marlins announcers were really talking that up at the beginning of the game and flat out blamed Johnson's performance on it.

Now that the game is out of hand, they are talking about what was on in the hotel room at 5:45 this morning and what they will be wearing tomorrow night.

Reminds of the good old days when the Braves were so bad that their broadcast team would talk about their favorite Disney characters.

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
The Marlins announcers were really talking that up at the beginning of the game and flat out blamed Johnson's performance on it.

Now that the game is out of hand, they are talking about what was on in the hotel room at 5:45 this morning and what they will be wearing tomorrow night.

Reminds of the good old days when the Braves were so bad that their broadcast team would talk about their favorite Disney characters.

Or when the Cubs were really bad, and Harry Caray would start pronouncing words backwards.

UKFlounder
08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I guess teams don't send starting pitchers to the next town a day early because you might have a long extra inning game and need them, but perhaps it's something worthy of thought.

Dom Heffner
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Or when the Cubs were really bad, and Harry Caray would start pronouncing words backwards.

I will never forget him saying, "You know, Sosa spelled backwards is A-sos!"

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
"Mets" spelled backwards is "Stem"!

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/marq/graphics/auto/hcaray.jpg

He had all kinds of trouble with Tim Pugh (H-gup). :D :beerme:

MattyHo4Life
08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
How many earned runs has Johnson given up tonight?

Dom Heffner
08-13-2010, 10:44 PM
6 earned.

MattyHo4Life
08-13-2010, 10:46 PM
6 earned.

Then he is no longer the NL ERA leader thanks to the Reds. :beerme:

VR
08-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Then he is no longer the NL ERA leader thanks to the Reds. :beerme:

Right. And Wainwright is....thanks as well to the Reds.

wheels
08-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I swear, it's all because of Dusty.

You can ignore it, or scoff all you want, but I'd bet dollars to donuts he's motivated the club to sack up.

Suspension or not, it's what he's good at.

The Operator
08-13-2010, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't discount that theory.

There are many aspects of Dusty's management style that I disagree with, but he is a great motivator. He loves his players and I think they'd go to hell and back for him. And that can't be ignored.

There may be better tacticians in the game. But if the players don't respect the manager he's useless.

PuffyPig
08-14-2010, 09:10 AM
It's amazing how good a team lokks when balls drop in, and how bad they look when they don't.

The Reds had a ton of hits that found their way into the OF yesterday, after some bad luck against the Cards.

Just the evening out of BABIP.

RedsManRick
08-14-2010, 10:14 AM
It's amazing how good a team lokks when balls drop in, and how bad they look when they don't.

The Reds had a ton of hits that found their way into the OF yesterday, after some bad luck against the Cards.

Yep. Reds didn't hit poorly vs. the Cards -- they just didn't get many hits.

mth123
08-14-2010, 10:20 AM

I think this is true. A lot of hits last night by inches but it should take some of the pressure off and get these guys back to just playing baseball.

nemesis
08-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I think sitting Gomes helped the lineup last night. I am hoping for more of the same. There arguibly were 5 to 7 runs that are debatable that were allowed by Gomes Gaffes in LF in the St Louis Series.. Now that is all debatable. What isn't debatable is in Gomes last 21 Games from the #5 hole he has 3 RBI's. That is just wow bad. Also from that #5 hole his SLG% is .333 this month. I am all for Nix to get every AB against RHP in LF for the rest of the year. The book is out on Gomes in the NL and everybody is reading it.