PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Can't Help Himself

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 12:58 AM
I just read this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5462236

There is nothing worse coming from this entire ordeal than giving this dingleberry a reason to climb up on a soap box. Most of the principals have chosen to shut their mouths about the brawl since it went down Tuesday night, except of course for Carpenter, the man who feels entitled to dress down his own shortstop before a captured audience when it interrupted his pre-game ritual. Larue won't even talk, and he is the guy on the dl with a concussion. I guess we are supposed to believe Carpenter was one of the handful of guys fined yesterday for no reason? No, there is no evidence he threw a punch or did anything physical. But, he would not be a dollar poorer today if his mouth had not overloaded his posterior and provoked extra violence that night.

If anything, baseball should take a second look at this knucklehead's comments after the fact and consider how it might be contributing to more acrimony in the future. I don't think any honest Reds' fan has a problem with the punishment dealt to Cueto for spiking people in the middle of this melee, no matter what the circumstances were. But Carpenter is not innocent either, and he continues to fan the flames like a crooked televangelist on a pledge drive. Baseball should consider his insistance on perpetuating this feud as part of the "incident", and consider more punishment.

fearofpopvol1
08-14-2010, 01:11 AM
This really is unsurprising. Read the comments on espn.com for the article. As many are saying..."Carpenter is continuing to prove Phillips' original point."

macro
08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Carpenter said "It's a bad thing for baseball." No, it isn't. Baseball gets more attention when stuff like this happens, and you can bet that there will be more media attention and more fan anticipation when the two teams meet again.

Do I think it's right or do I condone what happened? No, of course not. But it's not "a bad thing for baseball".

At this point I'm reconsidering who my least favorite athlete is. Hines Ward now has competition in the form of Carpenter.

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Whatever Carpenter said during the "melee" happened long before Cueto kicked anybody. It had to be more severe than just saying "f you" to Dusty to cause such a reaction. Judging by the man's lack of character and antagonistic tendancies, it would not surprise me at all if it were some kind of disgusting racial epithet directed at our manager.

KronoRed
08-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I doubt it, if he had yelled some racial insults we would have heard all about it from many people.

Maybe he just told him that he didn't think his Hank Aaron stories were very cool.

The Operator
08-14-2010, 01:56 AM
The racial thing crossed my mind as well, but I doubt that's the case because if he had said anything of that nature - his beating would have been much more severe and his own teammates may have joined in.

That being said, I'm sure what he did say was pretty awful. Yet he's painting himself as the innocent victim. Keep proving Brandon right, Priss. Keep it up.

edit: Do the Cardinals have any black players? I know they have some Dominican players but it seems like I remember reading at the beginning of the season where The Cards don't have a single African American on their team. Either way, I think if Carp had said anything racial he would have been beaten severely and we definitely would have heard about it.

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 02:01 AM
I don't know. My sense of reason tells me you are correct. In this day and age, even the most arrogant, stupid athlete would have enough savvy to reign in his most diabolical Jerry Springer impulses. But, Carpenter's poor judgement and massive ego continue to push the envelope. I can't imagine anything mundane would have caused Rolen to got after his throat with intent to kill like that, even if it was only for the duration of the flash point. Baseball would have a vested interest in concealing it if one of it's greatest pitchers proved to be socially inadequate.

The Operator
08-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I could see baseball wanting to cover it up - but I couldn't see some of The Reds not coming forward with it.

I'd also think a fan or 60 would have heard it too. And since it was in our house, any fan who heard it would have been more than happy to hang Carpenter on a cross.

fearofpopvol1
08-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Whatever Carpenter said during the "melee" happened long before Cueto kicked anybody. It had to be more severe than just saying "f you" to Dusty to cause such a reaction. Judging by the man's lack of character and antagonistic tendancies, it would not surprise me at all if it were some kind of disgusting racial epithet directed at our manager.

I posted this in another thread, and will here. I have heard from a very good source that Carpenter said a word that begins with the letter "f" followed by the word "you" to Baker and that is what set the Dusty and the Reds off.

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Nothing like that is ever reported unless there is empirical evidence, like video recording, audo recording or an organized effort by a multitude of people to isolate the incident. It is taboo to make such accusations without solid evidence. It is quite possible that if something like this happened, only Dusty, Scott or a handful of players within earshot heard it, or saw Carpenter mouth the words. Admittedly, it is a strong accusation. But, noone can dispute that the incident was basically over until Carpenter started jawing with Dusty about something, and only escalated when Rolen thought he understood what was said and started to push towards his former teammate with the intent to assault him. I have a very difficult time believing it was something you would hear on a first grade school ground... more like a bar.

Who knows. But, if Carpenter is going to drag it out with pointed conjecture, I think it is fair to guess on what he said that deserved being fined for. I mean, otherwise, what distinguished him from the other 50 people on the field who were not disciplined at all? Calling out players on the Reds team and pretending he had no role in what happened at all smells to high heaven.

redsfan30
08-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Even seeing the name "Carpenter" just makes my blood boil. As someone said earlier, the more this ignorant jerk continues to run his mouth the more he proves Brandon's original point.

KronoRed
08-14-2010, 03:57 AM
There is no way that Dusty or Rolen would not be telling everyone with an ear about if Carpenter had said or even mouthed such a thing, and baseball would not bury it, the Cardinals may be the long time kings of the NL but they are not the Yankees or Red Sox.

Carpenter is a talented jackass but I think trying to say he is a racist is a bit much.

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 04:29 AM
edit: Do the Cardinals have any black players? I know they have some Dominican players but it seems like I remember reading at the beginning of the season where The Cards don't have a single African American on their team.

Jon Jay and Randy Winn.

Neither were on the Cardinals' Opening Day Roster. (Jay was at AAA Memphis, and Winn was playing for the Yankees.)

Ron Madden
08-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Chris Carpenter "The Pitcher" has been blessed with extraordinary talent. Chris Carpenter "The Person" is a turd with ears and a very big mouth.

jojo
08-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Nothing like that is ever reported unless there is empirical evidence, like video recording, audo recording or an organized effort by a multitude of people to isolate the incident. It is taboo to make such accusations without solid evidence. It is quite possible that if something like this happened, only Dusty, Scott or a handful of players within earshot heard it, or saw Carpenter mouth the words. Admittedly, it is a strong accusation. But, noone can dispute that the incident was basically over until Carpenter started jawing with Dusty about something, and only escalated when Rolen thought he understood what was said and started to push towards his former teammate with the intent to assault him. I have a very difficult time believing it was something you would hear on a first grade school ground... more like a bar.

Who knows. But, if Carpenter is going to drag it out with pointed conjecture, I think it is fair to guess on what he said that deserved being fined for. I mean, otherwise, what distinguished him from the other 50 people on the field who were not disciplined at all? Calling out players on the Reds team and pretending he had no role in what happened at all smells to high heaven.

Is it ever fair to label someone a racist or bigot based upon blind supposition?

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 07:40 AM
I don't know. My sense of reason tells me you are correct. In this day and age, even the most arrogant, stupid athlete would have enough savvy to reign in his most diabolical Jerry Springer impulses. But, Carpenter's poor judgement and massive ego continue to push the envelope. I can't imagine anything mundane would have caused Rolen to got after his throat with intent to kill like that, even if it was only for the duration of the flash point. Baseball would have a vested interest in concealing it if one of it's greatest pitchers proved to be socially inadequate.

Are you guys really accusing Chris Carpenter of being a racist with absolutely no basis in fact? I can only imagine if Cardinals fans made the same type of accusations towards Brandon Phillips. It's one thing to call him a cry baby... a jerk... whatever you think about his character, but I think calling him a racist is way out of line.

Razor Shines
08-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Are you guys really accusing Chris Carpenter of being a racist with absolutely no basis in fact? I can only imagine if Cardinals fans made the same type of accusations towards Brandon Phillips. It's one thing to call him a cry baby... a jerk... whatever you think about his character, but I think calling him a racist is way out of line.

I don't like it either. You make a good point.

kbrake
08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't think Carpenter went with any kind of racist words. If Carpenter had said the N word we wouldn't have been able to beat the fish last night because they'd still be trying to pull Arthur Rhodes off Carpenters beat to a pulp body.

My theory is TLR said "you know who started this" that upset Dusty because he knows all they do is cry like female dogs. Then as Dusty walked back Carpenter said something along the lines of "freak you" for no reason other than to be an ass. Melee on.

Just no way I can see Carpenter going N word and that being the outcome. Arthur Rhodes was not that far away and would have lost his mind. Vizquel was upset about his earrings I can't imagine his temper with that word.

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2010, 09:34 AM
2 things.

1. There is no evidence that Priss used a racial slur. How about we stick with innocent until proven guilty. How about we not pull out the race card without due cause. How about we just let this all go.

2. I want the Reds to NOT RESPOND to any of this. If they want to keep spouting off at the mouth...let them. No good can come from responding. And, if it gets to the point where it MUST be addressed...let Dusty be the spokesman for the team.

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Carpenter needs to be beaned in St. Louis, and then, for the ensuing fight, we need to detail Gomes and Nix to break all his limbs.

nate
08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Carpenter = school on Saturday.

He could learn something from Marcel Marceau.

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Carpenter needs to be beaned in St. Louis, and then, for the ensuing fight, we need to detail Gomes and Nix to break all his limbs.

*sigh* We're better fans than this Redszone. :(

Cedric
08-14-2010, 09:46 AM

"you guys" implies multiple people right?

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Carpenter needs to be beaned in St. Louis.

Oh that will fix everything. :rolleyes:

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM
"you guys" implies multiple people right?

Right...multiple people. I've seen more than one poster imply that in this thrad and others within the last few days.

nate
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Ugh.

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Ugh.

I was kidding. Nix and Gomes would make a fantastic WWE tag team, though.

kbrake
08-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Carpenter could use a fastball in the ribs. Beating him up in a fight is absurd but he could use a shut up pitch.

Matty please spare me the act that only Reds fans say crazy things when things get heated. At GatewayRedbirds they're wanting to do things just as bad to Cueto. Not to mention their thread earlier this year dedicated to injuring Scott Rolen. That was the entire purpose of the thread.

Every team has them just ignore them.

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
*sigh* We're better fans than this Redszone. :(

Will no one think of the children?

cincrazy
08-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Completely agree with you here. Playing the race card here is WAY out of line. I think Carpenter is one of the biggest asses in all of baseball, but I think there's a 0% chance of him using a racial slur towards Dusty.

cincrazy
08-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Also, if the Reds really want to get back at the Cardinals, they'll shut their mouthes and go about their business on the field. Nothing would hurt St. Louis or Carpenter more than to finish above them in the standings.

kbrake
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I think the best way would be for BP to say the exact same thing before the start of the next series then sweep them.

nate
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I was kidding. Nix and Gomes would make a fantastic WWE tag team, though.

Oh.

Yes, they would!

nate
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the best way would be for BP to say the exact same thing before the start of the next series then sweep them.

The former, no. The latter, yes.

Joseph
08-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Gang, lets drop the racists aspect unless some PROOF comes along that corroborates such words were used.

Carpenter may annoy us as Reds fans, but it's a little harsh to simply speculate he's racist just because he yelled at Dusty and one is white while the other is black. He could have easily yelled 'yo momma so fat' comments, we just don't know.

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I heard Carpenter accused Dusty Baker of preferring Yes's 1980s lineup with Trevor Rabin to their classic 1970s discography. Dusty was incensed because Steve Howe is his favorite guitarist.

mth123
08-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I heard Carpenter accused Dusty Baker of preferring Yes's 1980s lineup with Trevor Rabin to their classic 1970s discography. Dusty was incensed because Steve Howe is his favorite guitarist.

Wasn't Steve Howe suspended from Yes multiple times for using drugs?

Oops. wrong Steve Howe.

Cedric
08-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Anytime an athlete goes to the child card I just laugh so hard.

What does he explain to his child after he screams cuss words and wants to fight opposing players for daring to get a hit off him?

The guy is a complete baby and poor sport. He is pathetic.

redsfandan
08-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Also, if the Reds really want to get back at the Cardinals, they'll shut their mouthes and go about their business on the field. Nothing would hurt St. Louis or Carpenter more than to finish above them in the standings.
+ 1

Oops. wrong Steve Howe.
Close. lol That always cracked me up how many 2nd chances that guy got.

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Oops. wrong Steve Howe.

No, that Steve Howe was a teammate of Dusty's! :D

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Personally, I wasn't bothered one bit when Carpenter screamed "Son of a &*$%#" after surrendering a hit the other day. I like that about some athletes...it shows that they're fiery, animated and put everything they have into the game. Nothing wrong with that. But AFTER the game is over...and you're still complaining and moaning...THAT I have a problem with. It shows poor sportsmanship IMO. But during a game...emotion is not a bad thing...but even that has its' proverbial line in the sand. Zambrano is known to step over that line from time to time. But screaming when you're excited or ticked off...perfectly fine, and expected IMO.

Cedric
08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Personally, I wasn't bothered one bit when Carpenter screamed "Son of a &*$%#" after surrendering a hit the other day. I like that about some athletes...it shows that they're fiery, animated and put everything they have into the game. Nothing wrong with that. But AFTER the game is over...and you're still complaining and moaning...THAT I have a problem with. It shows poor sportsmanship IMO. But during a game...emotion is not a bad thing...but even that has its' proverbial line in the sand. Zambrano is known to step over that line from time to time. But screaming when you're excited or ticked off...perfectly fine, and expected IMO.

Nobody is talking about that part. We are talking about when he screamed at Carlos Lee and screamed at Felipe when he was a Red.

Carpenter screamed obscenities at Lopez as he ran around the bases after a home run. It's not being fiery, it's being a bad sport.

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Nobody is talking about that part. We are talking about when he screamed at Carlos Lee and screamed at Felipe when he was a Red.

Carpenter screamed obscenities at Lopez as he ran around the bases after a home run. It's not being fiery, it's being a bad sport.

My appologies. I thought they were referring to the single past Brendan Ryan that sparked him screaming and complaining about his positioning.

The Lee incident, I never fully understood. I never saw the Lopez one. Sorry for the mixup.

nate
08-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally, I wasn't bothered one bit when Carpenter screamed "Son of a &*$%#" after surrendering a hit the other day. I like that about some athletes...it shows that they're fiery, animated and put everything they have into the game.

I dunno. I think that just shows they're demonstrative, not "fiery" and certainly not that they impart greater effort than a teammate who's not demonstrative.

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I dunno. I think that just shows they're demonstrative, not "fiery" and certainly not that they impart greater effort than a teammate who's not demonstrative.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm basing it too much on my own participation in sports. I know I get ticked off when I do something I think I should've done better...and I usually curse to myself...loudly. ;)

TheNext44
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
The problem with Carpenter's antics is that they are always centered around blaming someone else instead of taking responsibility for his own actions.

He thinks he would never give up a run if only...

The balls were better prepared...
His shortstop had the right glove...
The ump gave him the benefit on every call
the mound was tailored to his stride...
The fans cheered at the right time...
The opposing batters didn't try so hard...

VR
08-14-2010, 12:42 PM
The problem with Carpenter's antics is that they are always centered around blaming someone else instead of taking responsibility for his own actions.

He thinks he would never give up a run if only...

The balls were better prepared...
His shortstop had the right glove...
The ump gave him the benefit on every call
the mound was tailored to his stride...
The fans cheered at the right time...
The opposing batters didn't try so hard...

There you have it. I would add "how DARE any other player show emotion"

traderumor
08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
The racial thing crossed my mind as well, but I doubt that's the case because if he had said anything of that nature - his beating would have been much more severe and his own teammates may have joined in.

That being said, I'm sure what he did say was pretty awful. Yet he's painting himself as the innocent victim. Keep proving Brandon right, Priss. Keep it up.

edit: Do the Cardinals have any black players? I know they have some Dominican players but it seems like I remember reading at the beginning of the season where The Cards don't have a single African American on their team. Either way, I think if Carp had said anything racial he would have been beaten severely and we definitely would have heard about it.Randy Winn, John Jay

jojo
08-14-2010, 01:18 PM
As a Reds fan, I could care less about Chris Carpenter or what he says. I care about the Reds play for the most part and forgive their personal flaws (mostly ignoring the out of the uniform stuff) unless someone does something that offends my sensibilities such that it's impossible to ignore.

My preference is simply to view the Reds through as accurate and unbiased a prism as possible-same as I view the Mariners and the Rays. To me the reality is interesting enough, and frankly more interesting, than a distorted view of reality or a revised version of history meant to fit a preformed narrative.

So what if Chris Carpenter is so competitive that he's borderline pathological? So what if Cards fans tend to forgive or excuse his behavior when they wouldn't be so forgiving of similar behavior from another team's pitcher?

We all have soapboxes but I'm guessing the sins of Carpenter or a guy like Bonds wouldn't seem so damning if filtered through a Reds uni...

Maybe the 2% (ya, it's an estimate completely pulled from my rear) that still would be offended can feel free to complain but to the extent that the above summation applies to the rest of us in our heart of hearts, maybe we should focus more on the motion and less on the commotion that goes on between the lines...

Brutus
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
As a Reds fan, I could care less about Chris Carpenter or what he says. I care about the Reds play for the most part and forgive their personal flaws (mostly ignoring the out of the uniform stuff) unless someone does something that offends my sensibilities such that it's impossible to ignore.

My preference is simply to view the Reds through as accurate and unbiased a prism as possible-same as I view the Mariners and the Rays. To me the reality is interesting enough, and frankly more interesting, than a distorted view of reality or a revised version of history meant to fit a preformed narrative.

So what if Chris Carpenter is so competitive that he's borderline pathological? So what if Cards fans tend to forgive or excuse his behavior when they wouldn't be so forgiving of similar behavior from another team's pitcher?

We all have soapboxes but I'm guessing the sins of Carpenter or a guy like Bonds wouldn't seem so damning if filtered through a Reds uni...

Maybe the 2% (ya, it's an estimate completely pulled from my rear) that still would be offended can feel free to complain but to the extent that the above summation applies to the rest of us in our heart of hearts, maybe we should focus more on the motion and less on the commotion that goes on between the lines...

jojo,

I'm going to give my own personal testimony. But hear me out...

I watch a fair amount of sports. As people have been able to tell, I'm usually easy going when it comes to watching the conduct of athletes, celebrities and even common people. Very little gets to me. Live and let live, I usually say. When someone does something, I think of it as between them and the affected person(s)--and not the business of anyone else.

Specifically with athletes, I think fans usually get overly worked up about a lot of things that are said and done. It's usually done under the justified philosophy that, "they represent the ______ uniform." To me, it's a bunch of boloney in the aspect they're living their own lives and they have a right to do, say and insinuate what they want and how they want (provided, of course, it doesn't infringe on the rights of others to which it becomes the matter for them and the affected persons to handle--see above).

So when someone says something in the media, most generally I laugh it off. I have a standard, like everyone does, for what I appreciate, respect, tolerate or dislike. I respect honesty. From that standpoint, I have no problems with Brandon Phillips and Chris Carpenter speaking like human beings instead of programmed media-savy robots.

But for me, Chris Carpenter (and Tony La Russa) seem to be on another plane. They have passed the line of being truthful and entered their own world of being pathological whiners. I am a fan of many sports and many teams, and never has anyone bothered me quite like this. So I'm confident in saying it's not just a Reds' thing. If there's one thing that gets me more than anything, it's constantly casting blame and making excuses. I'm admittedly sometimes an idealist, but there's something about that which gets me.

I'm not self-righteous. If anything, I'm more forgiving and trepid when it comes to the actions of others than most. So I can say with complete confidence that I think the anger, hostility and dislike for Carpenter is completely justified. He's a tool, to put it mildly.

jojo
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
What if Carpenter was a Royal and the Reds could trade for him for their stretch run in a deal that made sense for Cincy?

Brutus
08-14-2010, 02:24 PM
What if Carpenter was a Royal and the Reds could trade for him for their stretch run in a deal that made sense for Cincy?

I don't see what purpose such a hypothetical serves. It's about him as a persona not as a player. I dislike him now and I'd still dislike him in your scenario. He would make the Reds a better team, but that's not the issue.

TheNext44
08-14-2010, 02:36 PM

You're no fun. You're right, but still, no fun. :)

I like my pet peeves and personal biases. My life would suck if I stuck to an objective view of reality. Probably says more about me than anything else.

Phhhl
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
There is no way that Dusty or Rolen would not be telling everyone with an ear about if Carpenter had said or even mouthed such a thing, and baseball would not bury it, the Cardinals may be the long time kings of the NL but they are not the Yankees or Red Sox.

Carpenter is a talented jackass but I think trying to say he is a racist is a bit much.

You're right. It's wrong to suggest such a thing with basically no evidence of it, and I got a little carried away with my posting. But, this is a message board and not a press room. Carpenter and everyone involved should simply have a gag order about the whole affair, and anyone who breaches it should be automatically suspended. For him to continue to pontificate about it is ridiculous.

jojo
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM
YBut, this is a message board and not a press room.

This is the ORG and we're better than any Cards board. It's just a fact.

They try to be us. We should act like we've been here before.... :cool:

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM

I think the answer to that questions is that you all would hate Brandon Phillips (if he was a Cardinal and made those same statements), and I would dislike Chris Carpenter. lol

Just imagine if a Cardinal had made the same statements that BP made. I think most of you agree with his statement (whether you are happy that he voiced his opionon or not), but you would be just as mad as Cardinals fans are if those statements were made against your team.

savafan
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I did some research, and bad things always do seem to happen around Carpenter. There may be something to him being pure evil.

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 06:23 PM
This is the ORG and we're better than any Cards board. It's just a fact.

This is the absolute truth. I have a membership to a Cardinals board, but I haven't posted there in years. (The software is very similar--it is a vBulletin board, so its appearance is a lot like RedsZone.) However, the quality pales in comparison to RZ--there is a lot of baiting and name-calling, and it is generally less civil. It's a shame, too--it used to be a nice place. (Not as nice as here, but IMO it was better than any board out there with the exception of RZ, SOSH, and maybe NYYFans.) However, it really deteriorated in quality after the Cards won the World Series in 2006. It stills sees plenty of traffic, but it seems much more mean-spirited than it used to be.

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
This is the absolute truth. I have a membership to a Cardinals board, but I haven't posted there in years. (The software is very similar--it is a vBulletin board, so its appearance is a lot like RedsZone.) However, the quality pales in comparison to RZ--there is a lot of baiting and name-calling, and it is generally less civil. It's a shame, too--it used to be a nice place. (Not as nice as here, but IMO it was better than any board out there with the exception of RZ, SOSH, and maybe NYYFans.) However, it really deteriorated in quality after the Cards won the World Series in 2006. It stills sees plenty of traffic, but it seems much more mean-spirited than it used to be.

Hey Klu...which Cards board was that?

RFS62
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
So I can say with complete confidence that I think the anger, hostility and dislike for Carpenter is completely justified. He's a tool, to put it mildly.

This entire thread could be distilled down to this paragraph. He's a tool.

And the whole world knows it.

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Klu...which Cards board was that?

birdsonthebat.org

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 08:29 PM
birdsonthebat.org

haha...i figured that was the one you meant.

The "generally less civil" gave it away. lol

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
haha...i figured that was the one you meant.

The "generally less civil" gave it away. lol

It was a pretty good board at one time (around 2004-05), but it had deteriorated significantly in my opinion.

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
It was a pretty good board at one time (around 2004-05), but it had deteriorated significantly in my opinion.

i never really cared for it. not even back then... i haven't been there in a few years and have no desire to go back. it's exactly like you said...name calling...low class...ect

Roy Tucker
08-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Can this board go back to what it used to be?

I don't like what this place has become in the last few days.

WVRed
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Does the St Louis Sports Forum still exist? I know it has similar origins to Redszone (created after the St Louis Post Dispatch board went to pot). Swampturkey used to post there I believe.

WVRed
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I posted this in another thread, and will here. I have heard from a very good source that Carpenter said a word that begins with the letter "f" followed by the word "you" to Baker and that is what set the Dusty and the Reds off.

Watch the video and that word (and similar words) were being said by LaRussa and Dusty in their heated exchange. Why would he react differently to Carpenter saying it than Tony?

guttle11
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Watch the video and that word (and similar words) were being said by LaRussa and Dusty in their heated exchange. Why would he react differently to Carpenter saying it than Tony?

Dusty's response to Carpenter was "I wasn't talking to you."

The implication from the Reds side was that Carpenter was jumping in on Dusty, pick on an old man so to speak, something they weren't going to allow. Rolen was looking to get Carpenter away, and if you watch the video closely, I think Votto was legitimately looking to get at Carpenter but had too many people in his way. Votto looked like he wanted more than just a piece. He wasn't looking to talk.

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Does the St Louis Sports Forum still exist? I know it has similar origins to Redszone (created after the St Louis Post Dispatch board went to pot). Swampturkey used to post there I believe.

yeah, it still exists. tht's really the only Cards forum that i post on. It's nothing like botb...it's a smaller group with more class than the morons on botb. swampy is still there.

mth123
08-15-2010, 03:01 AM

:thumbup:

Phhhl
08-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Dusty's response to Carpenter was "I wasn't talking to you."

The implication from the Reds side was that Carpenter was jumping in on Dusty, pick on an old man so to speak, something they weren't going to allow. Rolen was looking to get Carpenter away, and if you watch the video closely, I think Votto was legitimately looking to get at Carpenter but had too many people in his way. Votto looked like he wanted more than just a piece. He wasn't looking to talk.

Joey really seems like the type of guy that wants to avoid confrontation to me... unless, of course it is with a baseball.

Redhook
08-15-2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15782562

More on the likable Chris Carpenter.

I(heart)Freel
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15782562 (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15782562)

Not to beat a dead redbird... but I did wonder what media in other markets thought of all this.

Thanks for the link. Interesting. Especially the Schilling line.

Mario-Rijo
08-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Joey really seems like the type of guy that wants to avoid confrontation to me... unless, of course it is with a baseball.

Don't know about that did you see him glare at West yesterday when West struck him out for the 3rd K in striking out the side? Joey glared when West pumped his fist and yelled and then Votto shook his head, smiled and said "alright", like go ahead and I'll be back soon. These guys have just been awful touchy as of late.

westofyou
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM

New forum names?

Chip on the Shoulder Zone

Can't Move On Zone

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2010, 09:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15782562

Pretty awesome article by Renck. Glad to see that others are fed up with Carpenter's act too.

OesterPoster
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Very similar to the response from Brewers' fans. Read through their thread on the brawl last week, and they all love Brandon Phillips now. Through their hatred for the Cardinals, quite a few of their fans have now adopted the Reds as a team to root for this year.

ochre
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't know about that did you see him glare at West yesterday when West struck him out for the 3rd K in striking out the side? Joey glared when West pumped his fist and yelled and then Votto shook his head, smiled and said "alright", like go ahead and I'll be back soon. These guys have just been awful touchy as of late.
I also saw Votto put a dent in the right field wall in his next at bat against that guy... :)

ochre
08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Redszone wasn't around for the 1999 season.

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Very similar to the response from Brewers' fans. Read through their thread on the brawl last week, and they all love Brandon Phillips now. Through their hatred for the Cardinals, quite a few of their fans have now adopted the Reds as a team to root for this year.

I bet the Astros fans are rooting for the Reds too. :cool:

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Does this mean the Cardinals are the "Yankees" of the smaller markets? lol

Chip R
08-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Does this mean the Cardinals are the "Yankees" of the smaller markets? lol

They very well could be with their success. They have been good or at least relevant in every decade since the 30s with the possible exception of the 1970s. Success can also bring resentment.

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 03:53 PM
They very well could be with their success. They have been good or at least relevant in every decade since the 30s with the possible exception of the 1970s. Success can also bring resentment.

The Cardinals have the 2nd most World Series Championships... next to the Yankees of course. lol

westofyou
08-16-2010, 03:53 PM

They stagnated in the 50's, until Busch stepped in and lane was jettisoned, but since 1925 they are the premier NL team, except maybe the Dodgers

traderumor
08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Does this mean the Cardinals are the "Yankees" of the smaller markets? lolNo, I think it is more about the arrogance, such as "players beg to play here," your Super Genius manager, Crissy, wondering what Albert takes to stay under the radar, those types of things.

The Yankees are hated for Steinbrenner and deep pocket inspired winning over an extended period of time.

westofyou
08-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Chris Carpenter and his "way" (to put it nice) is a combination of Bob Gibson and Steve Carleton, on the field and towards the press. In short his behavior is not groundbreaking, abnormal or that surprising in the world of baseball, especially Cardinal baseball.

The Operator
08-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Except that Carpenter only has a few seasons of success to back his act up, whereas the other two you mention are HOFers.

Only way Priss gets in the Hall is to buy a ticket.

westofyou
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Except that Carpenter only has a few seasons of success to back his act up, whereas the other two you mention are HOFers.

Only way Priss gets in the Hall is to buy a ticket.

Carleton wasn't in the HOF in 1972 when he was known for glaring at his teammates post errors

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
The Cardinals have the 2nd most World Series Championships... next to the Yankees of course. lol

Yep. Six of the 10 came before 1950. As much as I can't stand the Cardinals, they do have a storied franchise. As do our Reds.

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Yep. Six of the 10 came before 1950. As much as I can't stand the Cardinals, they do have a storied franchise. As do our Reds.

Well...I've always said that I think both of our franchises have a lot of similarities.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Well...I've always said that I think both of our franchises have a lot of similarities.

I agree with that.

KronoRed
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Eh I don't see it, I see more of a similarity between the Reds and Pirates as for as a historic perspective goes.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/