PDA

View Full Version : This Central race

Magdal
08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I can't say how great this race is to me....the Reds slugging it out with the Cards. The Reds gutted the fish and the Cards beat the hated rival Cubs. This is too much fun! Rolen with 3 hits and a slide at home for the ages!

What makes me really nervous is the WC race....but the Giants and the Phils both lost tonite! It is a total toss-up on who wins the Central....Reds in 1st one day, Cards in 1st the next, Reds take it back the next day....The Reds got national exposure this week for the 1st time in years. The baseball world is now aware that there is more than just the Yanks/Sox.:thumbup:

1990REDS
08-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Theres a lot of really good race's in MLB this year. should be a fun rest of the season, and yes its nice to not always see the yanks and sox get all the national games.

XU Lou
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Agreed, this is a great race. I may be in the minority here but I think the Reds will win the division and the Cards will lose out on the WC.

I don't think the Cards starting 8 (after the big 2) is very special and their rotation is not deep. I believe Garcia has begun to show some rookie weakness and cannot be counted on to perform as well the rest of the season. The one caveat to my premise is Westbrook. He could be a difference maker but, frankly, I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him.

Magdal
08-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Agreed, this is a great race. I may be in the minority here but I think the Reds will win the division and the Cards will lose out on the WC.

I don't think the Cards starting 8 (after the big 2) is very special and their rotation is not deep. I believe Garcia has begun to show some rookie weakness and cannot be counted on to perform as well the rest of the season. The one caveat to my premise is Westbrook. He could be a difference maker but, frankly, I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him.Lou, I just can't see the WC winner coming from the west...they will beat up on each other, canceling each other out. I fear the Giants, but my gut says that the Phillies win the WC.

I don't know how many games the Reds/Cards have left with them, but beating them would be nice!

ezluke
08-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Lou, I just can't see the WC winner coming from the west...they will beat up on each other, canceling each other out. I fear the Giants, but my gut says that the Phillies win the WC.

I don't know how many games the Reds/Cards have left with them, but beating them would be nice!

I think you are right, the phillies are starting to get healthy, they are going to be a wrecking crew down the stretch.

Halladay/Hamels/Oswalt..names speak for themselves
Carpenter/Wainwright/Garcia...we've seen what they can do
Latos/Richards..and the killer bullpen, almost nasty boyish
Cain/Lincecum/Zito/Sanchez...worst era is 3.60

If we want the playoffs, it is going to have be offense driven..if the outfield doesn't start hitting, and hitting well, we will be on the outside looking in come fall

And the Reds have, I believe 3 games left with the cards in early sept

lidspinner
08-14-2010, 04:07 PM
we have to get back on top and get a 3 game lead by the time we play them in September......good chance they sweep us again. The Cards are the one team we just dont match up well with. what hurts is the Cards have like 9 games still to play against the Pirates......OUCH. We still have 9 left against the Brewers, I would rather be playing the Pirates but it all will play out.....I see no reason why we cant get real hot and start running off a few 8-2 game stretch.....its what champions do when their backs are against the wall.....lets see if we can get it done.

rolenmvp
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
the thing I see is we cannot worry about other teams, we just have to go out and win series and hope other teams lose, you can't rely on non-contending teams beating contending teams all the time or it will drive you crazy, you have to worry about your own team and the rest will take care of itself.

rolenmvp
08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
we are 1 game back of cardinals for division lead and we are half game back of giants in wildcard, we are in good shape.

Defacto
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
A 1 game lead in August means nothing. If the Cardinals or Reds are up by 5 on September 1st, that's when the team in 2nd should start worrying about the wild card.

MikeThierry
08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't think the Cards starting 8 (after the big 2) is very special and their rotation is not deep.

Well, I wouldn't underestimate the starting 8 for the Cards. Granted, they aren't the Yankees or Phillies when they are healthy but there is some major pop in that lineup. If you look at the numbers since the AS Break, many of the players are progressing to their means (Schumaker is hitting his traditional .300, Ryan hitting very well, Yadi's been on fire). I think the real catalyst for this offense of late has been Jon Jay. The guy always seems to be on base and it changes the approach pitchers have been pitching the Cards lately.

As far as the rotation goes, you are right about Garcia. However, with the way the schedule is set up, the Cards are going to be using a 4 man rotation for almost this whole month due to the off days that they have. Yeah, the starting rotation isn't deep after Waino/Carp, but depth won't matter if they are throwing them out there half of the time.

mckbearcat48
08-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Back to even...here we go again.

Swampturkey
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
we have to get back on top and get a 3 game lead by the time we play them in September......good chance they sweep us again. The Cards are the one team we just dont match up well with. what hurts is the Cards have like 9 games still to play against the Pirates......OUCH. We still have 9 left against the Brewers, I would rather be playing the Pirates but it all will play out.....I see no reason why we cant get real hot and start running off a few 8-2 game stretch.....its what champions do when their backs are against the wall.....lets see if we can get it done.

Any team can shock a "better" team by taking the series. The Pirates are bad, but you never know when a starter is going to have a career day. Likewise, the Brewers could play their worst baseball of the season for three games. Gotta take it game by game.

Seriously, when the Cardinals went to Cincinnati last week, I was extremely nervous, hoping for at least one win. I had the worst case scenerio going through my head..."if we get swept, we're 5 out" etc. Totally was not expecting to have the birds do the sweeping.

You just never know. That's why I will not be excited about the Cardinals upcoming schedule until after each individual win.