PDA

View Full Version : Jason LaRue

Redlegs
08-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Having watched the video of the brawl, once again, and at the risk of beating this dead horse once again, I think LaRue "had it coming" to him, if you will. In the middle of one of many excuses supplied by Tim McCarver in regards to Carpenter getting knocked around a little bit, they showed the clip again with a spotlight on Cueto. Jason LaRue was clearly coming after Cueto when he got it in the chops. Johnny was pinned against the net, with no other choice but to defend.

Now I have to call my cable operator because my television continues to have a "whiney beyotch" on my Fox affiliate out of Lexington, KY.

mdccclxix
08-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Having watched the video of the brawl, once again, and at the risk of beating this dead horse once again, I think LaRue "had it coming" to him, if you will. In the middle of one of many excuses supplied by Tim McCarver in regards to Carpenter getting knocked around a little bit, they showed the clip again with a spotlight on Cueto. Jason LaRue was clearly coming after Cueto when he got it in the chops. Johnny was pinned against the net, with no other choice but to defend.

Now I have to call my cable operator because my television continues to have a "whiney beyotch" on my Fox affiliate out of Lexington, KY.

I've made this point over and over, and never is it brought up in the media, that LaRue attacked Cueto, who, initially, was simply pushing the crowd away with his feet and was forced to keep a spazzed out LaRue away at all costs.

CTA513
08-14-2010, 06:08 PM
LaRue started really going after Cueto once Cueto started kicking him.

mdccclxix
08-14-2010, 07:04 PM
LaRue started really going after Cueto once Cueto started kicking him.

I disagree. It looks like Cueto is pushing the crowd back with his legs, which perhaps caused his spikes to dig into LaRue, who was right there. That was not kicking. What LaRue wanted to do after that was kick Cueto's ass and luckily Cueto was able to withhold LaRue with the help of Gomes. In all, Cueto decided to fire a few kicks at Carpenter and that's what the suspension should really be for, not defending himself. I just think LaRue was an attacker that has gone unpunished by baseball.

CTA513
08-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Cueto was kicking at any Cardinal he could and ended up kicking LaRue in the face and Carpenter in the back.

westofyou
08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking there was a "second kicker". I also think I spotted a guy in the stands with an umbrella right before the inning started.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking there was a "second kicker". I also think I spotted a guy in the stands with an umbrella right before the inning started.

I believe he was led away quickly right after the fracas. Guy draped in worn but not quite dirty clothes with a rough beige trench coat but strangely enough clean hair, teeth & nails.

mdccclxix
08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Cueto was kicking at any Cardinal he could and ended up kicking LaRue in the face and Carpenter in the back.

That was after LaRue attacked him. Cueto's legs went from pushing away to kicking after the attack. I think LaRue is culpable in this fight and got off without penalty from baseball.

CTA513
08-14-2010, 10:25 PM
That was after LaRue attacked him. Cueto's legs went from pushing away to kicking after the attack. I think LaRue is culpable in this fight and got off without penalty from baseball.

Cueto kicked him and LaRue then went after him and Cueto then kicked him more.
Cueto knew exactly what he was doing and he was the only player suspended because of what he did.

gm
08-15-2010, 01:44 AM
You put our right foot in, you put your right foot out...

Phhhl
08-15-2010, 03:40 AM
LaRue has had a grudge against our beloved Reds ever since he was displaced as our starting catcher. He hit a walk off homer in one of his last appearances as a Red and displayed all the emotion of a man who had just been informed of the death of his dog. That night, it became painfully apparent to me that Jason LaRue was only concerned about how the game treated him personally. Winning baseball players do not behave that way.

Still, the guy did not deserve to get kicked in the face by a guy wearing spikes this week. Cueto is serving his punishment. If a team like the Cardinals believe a player with deteriorating talent at a demanding position deserves a roster spot just because he has a history with their adversary, more power to them.

The Operator
08-15-2010, 03:45 AM
I was never a big fan of LaRue. Especially after the way he handled the whole losing his job to David Ross situation.

RollyInRaleigh
08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Didn't like him when he was a Red. Really don't like him now that he is a whining Cardinal.

GAC
08-15-2010, 08:31 AM
It looks like Cueto is pushing the crowd back with his legs, which perhaps caused his spikes to dig into LaRue

There's something about this statement that just ain't right. But it's funny! :p:

The foot bone connected to the leg-bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone
The neck bone connected to the head bone

mdccclxix
08-15-2010, 11:50 AM
There's something about this statement that just ain't right. But it's funny! :p:

The foot bone connected to the leg-bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone
The neck bone connected to the head bone

I should be Cueto's lawyer, sue for punitive damages!

I'm serious though, LaRue should have been at least fined. I'm not saying Cueto didn't deserve a suspension, at all. For those who at least believe he was trying to restrain the crowd at some point, my perspective makes a lot of sense. Check the Zapruder film yourself. He's pushing, attacked, then kicking.

cincinnati chili
08-15-2010, 12:14 PM

That that guy attend the game with a sassy gnoll?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4e/dr367_playing_gnolls.jpg

goreds2
02-04-2016, 11:57 AM

I just saw this article about LaRue that was posted during the 2015 World Series. He seems to take the Classy road and holds no grudges towards Cueto.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-larue-doesn-t-hold-grudge-feels-effects-of-cueto/article_237f9483-e94b-5f18-8152-8aeb7f3b5309.html

“I’m not a person that holds a grudge. I mean, it is what it is,” LaRue said. “What I can tell you is my kids know (what happened), and every time they see him, it reminds them, you know?”

marcshoe
02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

I just saw this article about LaRue that was posted during the 2015 World Series. He seems to take the Classy road and holds no grudges towards Cueto.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-larue-doesn-t-hold-grudge-feels-effects-of-cueto/article_237f9483-e94b-5f18-8152-8aeb7f3b5309.html

“I’m not a person that holds a grudge. I mean, it is what it is,” LaRue said. “What I can tell you is my kids know (what happened), and every time they see him, it reminds them, you know?”

So you're saying that the problem wasn't so much what Chris Carpenter told his son. . . .

George Anderson
02-04-2016, 01:07 PM
No one makes rules in a gun fight.

marcshoe
02-04-2016, 01:09 PM

At least that's what Aaron Burr said afterward.

dougdirt
02-04-2016, 01:20 PM

The guy with the gun makes the rules in a gun fight.

George Anderson
02-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.

dougdirt
02-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.

Pew pew!

RedFanT
02-04-2016, 02:11 PM
It is still one of the highlights of my 2010s after encountering a St. Louis Cardinals fan (in full Cardinals gear) on vacation, walking by while wearing my Reds gear, tipping my hat in her dejected direction, with the greeting, "Johnny Cueto sends his regards."

KronoRed
02-04-2016, 02:53 PM
..what year is it?

Joseph
02-04-2016, 05:29 PM
That incident was and is ugly on all sides and I know LaRue is part of the dark years here, but he's still on of those players I always liked and I'd rather he be associated withe the Reds than Cardinals.

Bourgeois Zee
02-04-2016, 07:35 PM
That incident was and is ugly on all sides and I know LaRue is part of the dark years here, but he's still on of those players I always liked and I'd rather he be associated withe the Reds than Cardinals.

LaRue disagrees with you.

And, for that reason, LaRue is a non-entity to me as a fan.

Tom Servo
02-04-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear it affects his quality of life, but I never get why it's treated like LaRue was simply standing around and Johnny came out of nowhere with a flying crane kick. It was a baseball brawl, LaRue was right there in the mix of it, and unfortunately he suffered the consequences. It is what it is.

I also always thought the whole 'ended the man's career' thing was silly. The guy hit .194/.285/.323 the last 5 years of his career, playing less and less games each year (only 29 in 2010), and was 36. He was done, concussion or not.

westofyou
02-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Winners write history, seems like some want to lay this on Cueto.

Push me up against a wall in a mass of humans and watch me not act normal

The Operator
02-04-2016, 08:45 PM
The biggest load of crap was that Larue basically blamed Cueto for his career being over.

Sure Jason, those 17 (or whatever the astronomically high number was) other concussions had nothing to do with it.

jojo
02-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I just wish that Phillips wouldn't have started the whole thing in the first place.

tomnuetten
02-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I just wish that Phillips wouldn't have started the whole thing in the first place.

it was perhaps a marketing thing. the drama around that game did sell some tickets ;)

it is kind of weird what bp said and how he behaved afterwards (first he hated everything with the cardinals afterwards he has nothing but praise for them...)

that sounds like a good enough conspiracy theorie to get 757690 going (he´ll sure find evidence)

Chuckie
02-05-2016, 09:57 AM

LaRue "doesn't hold a grudge" but then he says this? Which is it Jason? You don't hold a grudge, or you make passive-aggressive comments about how your kids "know what happened"?

LaRue was always such a phony ... and not a very good player. He was good defensively and sucked offensively. Hanigan was better defensively and with the stick.

Mesoraco is the real deal. We finally have a top-shelf catcher. (If he can stay healthy.)

BRM guys will be like "Finally"? No, I'm not forgetting about the best catcher ever. But those of us that missed the Johnny Bench era (or at least only remember Bench playing 3B for the Reds like I do) had not seen a Reds' squad with a great all-around catcher (especially offensively) until Mesoraco arrived.

goreds2
02-05-2016, 12:35 PM
The biggest load of crap was that Larue basically blamed Cueto for his career being over.

Sure Jason, those 17 (or whatever the astronomically high number was) other concussions had nothing to do with it.

I just saw that Jason never had more than 98 hits in a season but garnered over 19 million dollars in his career. I tip my Reds cap to him and his agent.

1999 25 Cincinnati Reds $200,000 ? 11/19/99 USA Today
2001 27 Cincinnati Reds $235,000 ? 4/6/01 USA Today
2002 28 Cincinnati Reds $305,000 ? 4/3/02 AP
2003 29 Cincinnati Reds $1,250,000 ? 4/3/03 AP
2004 30 Cincinnati Reds $2,600,000* ?
2005 31 Cincinnati Reds $3,000,000 ?
2006 32 Cincinnati Reds $3,900,000 ?
2007 33 Kansas City Royals $5,200,000 ?
2008 34 St. Louis Cardinals $850,000 ?
2009 35 St. Louis Cardinals $950,000 ?
2010 36 St. Louis Cardinals $950,000 9.150
Career to date (may be incomplete) $19,440,000

marcshoe
02-05-2016, 01:13 PM
I saw Jason Larue play quite a bit locally in single A in '96 and '97. He was absolutely awful in '96, barely hitting over the Mendoza line while managing a .612 OPS. The next year he found his batting eye, as he became a doubles machine in spacious Watt Powell Park, hitting 50 while putting up an .861 OPS. I could barely believe this was the same guy, and there were stories in the paper about how Larue had turned his career around. The next year in Chattanooga his OPS broke the 1.000 mark.

I can only assume that he worked really hard in the off-season. I don't know of anything else in the late nineties that could have caused such a transformation.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=larue-001mic

Big Klu
02-05-2016, 03:31 PM
I have had a strong sense of antipathy for Jason LaRue ever since he tryed to take out Jerry Hairston, Jr. at second base on an obviously dirty slide in a game back in late 2008 (at least I think it was '08).

When asked about it, LaRue said that he didn't like the way that Hairston "played the game". Hairston was asked if he had ever had a previous incident with LaRue, and he said that he had never even spoken to LaRue before, they had never had a previous altercation that he could recall, and he didn't know why LaRue had an issue with him.

Sea Ray
02-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Pretty hard to picture anyone who's doing the kicking as the aggressor. LaRue would have been in no danger if he was not going after Cueto

TeamSelig
02-06-2016, 09:00 AM
LaRue did have a cannon behind the plate, was always fun watching him throw out runners. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I felt like nobody could steal on him and eventually they stopped trying.

Big Klu
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM
LaRue did have a cannon behind the plate, was always fun watching him throw out runners. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I felt like nobody could steal on him and eventually they stopped trying.

Yes, but that's because baserunners eventually wised up and waited for the inevitable passed ball.

Chuckie
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
I saw Jason Larue play quite a bit locally in single A in '96 and '97. He was absolutely awful in '96, barely hitting over the Mendoza line while managing a .612 OPS. The next year he found his batting eye, as he became a doubles machine in spacious Watt Powell Park, hitting 50 while putting up an .861 OPS. I could barely believe this was the same guy, and there were stories in the paper about how Larue had turned his career around. The next year in Chattanooga his OPS broke the 1.000 mark.

I can only assume that he worked really hard in the off-season. I don't know of anything else in the late nineties that could have caused such a transformation.

Ha, I see what you did there. I think Jason must have been drinking a lot of protein shakes and working out like crazy around that time. Or something like that.

dfs
02-06-2016, 10:49 AM

You call nothing but fastballs whenever there's a runner on first and base runners don't need to steal. They just wait for the batter to square up on the fastball and trot around the bases.

gilpdawg
02-07-2016, 09:43 AM

He was pretty old for the Sally League, so that could have been a factor too.

Looked up his advanced catching stats on BP. He wasn't....so good. Bad framer, got better at blocking later in his career but was bad with the Reds. Decent throwing stats though.

And seriously, if you've got a BP sub, or can borrow someone's login for a minute, check out those new catching stats. Very interesting stuff in there.

marcshoe
02-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I've been on the verge of subscribing to BP for years now. Maybe I'll break down and do it.

OGB
02-08-2016, 09:46 PM
LaRue "doesn't hold a grudge" but then he says this? Which is it Jason? You don't hold a grudge, or you make passive-aggressive comments about how your kids "know what happened"?

LaRue was always such a phony ... and not a very good player. He was good defensively and sucked offensively. Hanigan was better defensively and with the stick.

Mesoraco is the real deal. We finally have a top-shelf catcher. (If he can stay healthy.)

BRM guys will be like "Finally"? No, I'm not forgetting about the best catcher ever. But those of us that missed the Johnny Bench era (or at least only remember Bench playing 3B for the Reds like I do) had not seen a Reds' squad with a great all-around catcher (especially offensively) until Mesoraco arrived.

You have managed to forget the second greatest catcher in Reds history:
Edward Taubensee

RedlegJake
02-13-2016, 12:21 PM
You have managed to forget the second greatest catcher in Reds history:
Edward Taubensee

I had to re read these posts to get it- since Bench in Reds history. I was about to say uh....what about Ernie the Schnozz, or batting champ Bubbles, or Ed Bailey. But in the timeframe mentioned - I'll take Joe Oliver ahead of Eddie T

fielder's choice
02-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Of course OP is right. When you're in the situation Cueto was in, you're going to do anything possible to defend yourself. LaRue had it coming absolutely. To another point, can we stop booing Molina now?

mth123
02-13-2016, 12:55 PM
I had to re read these posts to get it- since Bench in Reds history. I was about to say uh....what about Ernie the Schnozz, or batting champ Bubbles, or Ed Bailey. But in the timeframe mentioned - I'll take Joe Oliver ahead of Eddie T

Me too. I'd take Mesoraco as well. And Hanigan. Taubensee is the only thing that keeps Larue from being the worst defensive catcher the Reds had in my lifetime. He and the bullfighter, David Ross, drove me crazy with their inability to actually catch the ball. Its called Catcher for ****sake.