PDA

View Full Version : Dusty will have suitors...

SanDiegoRed
08-15-2010, 02:22 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=8a144862-971d-4e86-8122-95424ce35507&from=foxsports/mlb/home_gallery

I have mixed feelings. The reds have played well above expectations and Dusty has to get some of the credit. But his lineups, infatuation with underperforming veterans etc drive me crazy. I am surprised Ken thinks he will have a handful of suitors. Reactions?

GIDP
08-15-2010, 02:27 AM
He wont find many teams willing to pay him more than he's getting now, and if he does then see you later. 3.5 million for a manager is way too much. Thats third in MLB I think. Only Torre and LaRussa make more from what I can tell.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Francona might make more.

10xWSChamps
08-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Sure he will. The MLB loves to hire the same coaches over and over and over and over, like no other sport

knoonan991
08-15-2010, 03:11 AM
He's obviously doing something right.

bshall2105
08-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Chris Speier seemed to do just as good as Dusty could have done for millions less. If he's going to demand another massive contract he needs to be let go. He's not worth it.

08-15-2010, 03:23 AM
I doubt money will be an issue. He would love to stay and finish the job he started. Why would he want to go to another team and spend another three years building it into a contender? He likes it here and the has a strong organization behind him.

urdun
08-15-2010, 03:35 AM
let him walk if he wants to this team can win without him, they will need someone they can respect though. larussa i think would be a bad fit with some of the players. a showalter type won't get it done either. how about phillie's bench coach he seems like a good fit? ;)

bobby valentine might work as well.

Jr's Boy
08-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Chris Speier seemed to do just as good as Dusty could have done for millions less. If he's going to demand another massive contract he needs to be let go. He's not worth it.

2 Games in and Speier can be the next skipper.lol

Dusty should stay.This team is in contention and he has a great deal to do with that.You saw how Rolen and Votto wanted to break Carps neck when he started chirping at Baker.These guys seem to play their heart out for him.Good mix of young and old players,why disrupt the team chemistry and momentum the Reds have, come what may this season and the next.
Too many here think a manager change is the solution.And after the merry go round manager shuffle we have had the past decade,its good to see a real manager bringing some stability to the team.
Ask any player in that clubhouse I bet and they would tell you that Baker is their choice.

PMand JM
08-15-2010, 06:24 AM
We still need 5 more wins (than losses) for him to be at .500 here, which, by the way, is no small feat!

scott91575
08-15-2010, 06:57 AM
While I am no fan of Dusty's in game managing, he is a good clubhouse manager. The players like him and they have responded to him. That makes up for some of his baffling in game management decisions.

Overall, unless there is an above average manager available (not sure there is), sign him back up. If they have someone in mind that is good then let him go, but I am not sure there is a guy out there. As they say, better the devil you know...

UC_Ken
08-15-2010, 03:04 PM
While I am no fan of Dusty's in game managing, he is a good clubhouse manager. The players like him and they have responded to him.

Dusty is a fantastic clubhouse manager. His teams love him and play hard for him. Think about those SF teams with Bonds and Kent. Those were not easy teams to manage but there were never chemistry problems.

He is in the bottom tier of decision makers but the handful of games he costs his team are far outweighed by the winning attitude his teams play with every day.

lidspinner
08-15-2010, 04:49 PM
pretty simple if ya ask me....you sit him down and tell him that you want him back....BUT, this is your downfalls and this is what I want to see you work on...just as you would any player on your roster at the end of the year......its no secret what Dusty needs to work on...so tell him to work on it.

THe players love the crap out of him, he seems to get the most out of certain type of players....as long as he is in favor of tweaking a few simple things then get him back in here and do what it takes.
I cant stand the guy, he drives me nuts with him choices, but the Reds do play well for him and us fans dont have to like him, the players dont have to like him, he just has to win.

Krawhitham
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Dusty will have suitors...

Good let him go, no manager is worth 3.5 million plus you know he wants a raise

takealeake
08-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Hell, why not give Rick Sweet a shot if Dusty wants some ridiculous contract? The dude does a ridiculously good job at Louisville with all kinds of attrition each year, a new player in a spot constantly, but he keeps winning.

lidspinner
08-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Hell, why not give Rick Sweet a shot if Dusty wants some ridiculous contract? The dude does a ridiculously good job at Louisville with all kinds of attrition each year, a new player in a spot constantly, but he keeps winning.

I would not mind that at all....It appears Rick is in the same mold as Dusty ala he tries to be friends with the players and create an atmosphere to where he is their friend and coach.....that works if they respect you when the tough choices are made. I would take Sweet if Dusty walks. I was in love with Pete Mckanin when he coached here....dude was not afraid to make a change and he went with the hot hand. Remember when he played 2 OF'ers and brought the 3rd one in to play the middle right behind the pitcher? and the batter hit the line drive right at the guy? that took guts to make that call.

Where is Pete these days?

redsrolen
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Dusty is the man! You just have to understand this team needs a manager that treats each player with respect, listens to their concerns, and keeps them out of the news! Can you even imagine a hard nosed manager telling Phillips and Votto off. Those two would take it so personaly, and take their attitude to the field! Scottie, everyone knows his feelings on a thoughtless jerk like LaRussa! Early in the year LaRussa told off Albert on camera, if looks could kill, LaRussa would be a dead man! You think anyone can manage this team, you are sadly mistaken!

Krawhitham
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Dusty is the man! You just have to understand this team needs a manager that treats each player with respect, listens to their concerns, and keeps them out of the news! Can you even imagine a hard nosed manager telling Phillips and Votto off. Those two would take it so personaly, and take their attitude to the field! Scottie, everyone knows his feelings on a thoughtless jerk like LaRussa! Early in the year LaRussa told off Albert on camera, if looks could kill, LaRussa would be a dead man! You think anyone can manage this team, you are sadly mistaken!

Hi Dusty

GBC Red
08-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Honestly, I want Dusty to come back. I never thought I'd say that, but he's turned this team into a winner. His lineups are questionable, along with some of his other decisions, but he's done a tremendous job this year. The man has won everywhere he's been (even though his last couple years with the Cubs were terrible). This coming from someone who was furious when we hired him.

Kiss the Baby00
08-15-2010, 07:44 PM
i love how worked up you guys gets about dustys contract. are you paying his salary? I want the best manager for our team that our OWNER is willing to pay for. if dusty wants 10 mill and the owner wants to pay it, then let it be

zacharync
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
i love how worked up you guys gets about dustys contract. are you paying his salary? I want the best manager for our team that our OWNER is willing to pay for. if dusty wants 10 mill and the owner wants to pay it, then let it be

This. Logic. I like it.

redsrolen
08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Dusty

LMAO

brm7675
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I would love to see Dusty move on, i mean he's earned it...

realistic
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
????

we are in first place and could make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and people complain the manager makes too much?

AintlifeGrande
08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I would not mind that at all....It appears Rick is in the same mold as Dusty ala he tries to be friends with the players and create an atmosphere to where he is their friend and coach.....that works if they respect you when the tough choices are made. I would take Sweet if Dusty walks. I was in love with Pete Mckanin when he coached here....dude was not afraid to make a change and he went with the hot hand. Remember when he played 2 OF'ers and brought the 3rd one in to play the middle right behind the pitcher? and the batter hit the line drive right at the guy? that took guts to make that call.

Where is Pete these days?

The same stuff was said about Dave Miley as well.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Dave Miley managed different at the major league level than he did in AAA also though. He became a lap dog of ownership and the GM.