PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Up; Francisco Down; Heisey Back Up Infielder

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Sheldon Twitter

mth123
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Sheldon Twitter

Hmm. I figured Francisco might be in there for Rolen today and would go down when Wood came back. If they are keeping Leake around, it will get real intersting when Wood, Cabrera and Harang are added. I'm guessing they hold off on Harang until September 1.

Kc61
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
So let's see.

Reds now have six outfielders with Edmonds, Nix, Gomes, Stubbs, Heisey, Bruce.

They now have five infielders, only one backup, with Votto, Phillips, Janish, Rolen, Cairo.

Two catchers.

Reds have twelve pitchers with Bailey up. Wood still in the minor leagues.

Reds will need spots for Wood and OCabrera soon.
Right now Reds only have one reserve infielder and three reserve outfielders.

To state the obvious, the current alignment seems temporary.

chicoruiz
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Wonder if they'd have the guts to cut Edmonds if that's the best move...

Strikes Out Looking
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
So let's see.

Reds now have six outfielders with Edmonds, Nix, Gomes, Stubbs, Heisey, Bruce.

They now have five infielders, only one backup, with Votto, Phillips, Janish, Rolen, Cairo.

Two catchers.

Reds have twelve pitchers with Bailey up. Wood still in the minor leagues.

Reds will need spots for Wood and OCabrera soon.
Right now Reds only have one reserve infielder and three reserve outfielders.

To state the obvious, the current alignment seems temporary.

And they aren't going to let Leake throw many more innings; especially if they want him on the post-season roster. I'm glad I'm not the GM of this roster.

Kc61
08-15-2010, 11:39 AM
And they aren't going to let Leake throw many more innings; especially if they want him on the post-season roster. I'm glad I'm not the GM of this roster.

The pitching glut could be solved by swapping Fisher for Wood and putting one of the current starters (Leake?) in the pen for awhile.

I don't know how they solve the position player logjam, but an outfielder will almost definitely have to go to make room for OCab.

Redsfan320
08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
To get some protection, they've had outfielder Chris Heisey working out in the infield lately, especially at second base.

"I haven't taken groundballs in about a week but I'm going to go out there in a little bit and take some grounders," Heisey said Sunday morning. "It's in case of emergency. I've played shortstop my whole life and then in college, the second half of my junior year was spent at shortstop. I'm would not say I'm comfortable in the infield, but I don't feel like a stranger. I trust my hand-eye coordination and reflexes enough to at least knock the ball down and throw it across the infield."

Yeah. Heisey's the new backup IF.

nate
08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I had no idea Heisey could play infield.

That's incredibly useful if so.

RedsMan3203
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
You can also throw Razor in at 3rd for some help if needed..

JaxRed
08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Hmmm... Heisey as a 2b would be interesting....

Ron Madden
08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
You can also throw Razor in at 3rd for some help if needed..

I hope we never see the day that Hernandez has to play 3B.

chicoruiz
08-15-2010, 12:13 PM
If I were Ramon and they put me in at 3b, I'd definitely wear the shin guards and the chest protector..

RedsMan3203
08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I hope we never see the day that Hernandez has to play 3B.

He played some 3rd last year I believe? In a pinch I think.

Ron Madden
08-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I still don't want to see him playing 3b for the Reds. :)

Mario-Rijo
08-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Hey if Javy can do it...sorry Chip! ;)

RedsMan3203
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM

I don't think I want to see that either.

He played 1 game/1 inning there in 2009.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Votto didn't help matters by getting tossed

Slyder
08-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't think I want to see that either.

He played 1 game/1 inning there in 2009.

If I see Hernandez at 3b as the opposing manager I tell my entire team to chop/bunt it down the line and watch the infield singles fall by the bunches.

membengal
08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Interesting trying to figure out who goes when Wood comes back up to take the Thursday start in Arizona...Leake sent down at that point to better manage his innings? A bullpen arm? Wood gets left in AAA?

And what happens when Cabrera comes off the DL?

Some hard choices ahead for the Reds.

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Interesting trying to figure out who goes when Wood comes back up to take the Thursday start in Arizona...Leake sent down at that point to better manage his innings? A bullpen arm? Wood gets left in AAA?

Easy for me. I'd send down Leake for Wood and Fisher for Cabrera. The drop to 11 pitchers would only last a week or so. September 1st is coming.

I'd swap Chapman for Bray while I'm at it.

WebScorpion
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd swap Chapman for Bray while I'm at it.

I think this should be done soon, if only to make Chapman available for the post-season roster. It would be nice to have the option of bringing in an unknown lefty throwing over 100mph to get a few tough hitters out. :thumbup:

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I think this should be done soon, if only to make Chapman available for the post-season roster. It would be nice to have the option of bringing in an unknown lefty throwing over 100mph to get a few tough hitters out. :thumbup:

Today in the 7th. Ondrusek had loaded the bases and Fla had a lefty at bat and no sign of Bray. Might have been a fear of FLA countering with Cody Ross, but I thought it was interesting.

edabbs44
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Remember when hard choices for the Reds ended up with guys like Josh Fogg getting starts and eating millions when player _____ was cut before his contract ended?

Better times.

Chip R
08-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey if Javy can do it...sorry Chip! ;)

And that's why the Reds should re-sign Javy. :luvu:

membengal
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Remember when hard choices for the Reds ended up with guys like Josh Fogg got starts and eating millions when player _____ was cut before his contract ended?

Better times.

No doubt. Much better times.

TheNext44
08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Cabrera won't be up before Sept 1st when the rosters expand. I could see them going with six outfielders and five infielders until then.

gm
08-15-2010, 11:08 PM
He played some 3rd last year I believe? In a pinch I think.

Yeah I remember that, he was double switched to the hot corner for an inning late in a game. I don't think the ball found him

red-in-la
08-16-2010, 03:11 AM

Remember the Angels a few years ago? They had a hard throwing youngster in post season play who surprised everybody.

Chapman HAS to be brought up before 9/1 or else 30 million (or at least an important part of it) is being greatly under-utilized.

redsfandan
08-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Cabrera won't be up before Sept 1st when the rosters expand. I could see them going with six outfielders and five infielders until then.
I'd be surprised if that happens. What makes you think that?

redsmetz
08-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Yeah I remember that, he was double switched to the hot corner for an inning late in a game. I don't think the ball found him

Actually he had one PO, a weak pop up to 3rd base where he makes that play the same way a catcher would without the having to spring up from the crouch.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200905230.shtml