PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Swing...........

hebroncougar
08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
We all know there is quite a bit riding on the upcoming 9 game trip. What do you expect? 4-5? 5-4? Worse? Better? Thoughts? Myself, I'm thinking 5-4 would make for a good trip, anything better is gravy on top.

kaldaniels
08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I will add as I just put in the standings thread...I believe we miss Lincecum.

Joseph
08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
The way we've played on the WC lately, anything above 500 has to be considered a whopping success.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
The D-Backs reportedly have placed LaRoche and Johnson on waivers. Hopefully they'll work out a trade for those two before the Reds get into town ;)

kaldaniels
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Subject to change as the Giants have an off day coming up...I'm just going off espn.com

steig
08-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think 5-4 should be considered great success. 5-4 would be tolerable but I believe 6-3 should be the mark to consider for success and the team needs to take 2 from the Giants. After being swept by the Cards we need to win some series against other contending teams.

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
The D-Backs reportedly have placed LaRoche and Johnson on waivers. Hopefully they'll work out a trade for those two before the Reds get into town ;)

Reds should claim Johnson.

UKFlounder
08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd be happy with 4 or more wins. Yes, 4-5 is a losing record, but I think treading water on what has often been a difficult trip would be okay. Obviously, I'd like to do better, but I think 3-6 or worse would be quite a setback, and 4-5 would be only a small one.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Reds should claim Johnson.

Definitely. I imagine, unfortunately, someone with a higher priority will claim him, though who knows.

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Definitely. I imagine, unfortunately, someone with a higher priority will claim him, though who knows.

Iimagine the Braves would like to have him. If he can't play 3B, they can re-arrange and put Prado there.

BCubb2003
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't think Arizona counts as coast, so maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

RedLegSuperStar
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I would say we go 6-3

RFS62
08-15-2010, 06:26 PM
The way we've played on the WC lately, anything above 500 has to be considered a whopping success.

Boy howdy.

The West Coast swing has been disastrous for the Reds so many times.

RedsMan3203
08-15-2010, 07:22 PM
The goal from here on out is, 2 out of 3... So, I'd take a total west swing of 6-3. In the end I don't care how they get to that 6/3 mark.

I think the Reds can handle Dbacks/LA just fine and when SF came to Cincinnati the Reds did well against them..

kaldaniels
08-15-2010, 07:32 PM
If you gave me 5-4 today I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Thats 2 of 3 vs the DBacks and LA, 1 of 3 against SF.

Asking for more than that on a west coast swing is gettin greedy...not that I wouldn't take it.

edabbs44
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sweating this trip all that much.

Scrap Irony
08-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Cincinnati has historically struggled against both Frisco and LA and both have solid teams, big parks, and very good pitching.

If they have a winning record, I'd think that's pretty successful. I'd probably take 4-5 cosidering past performances.

Rojo
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
If they go 6-3 print up the play off tickets already.

Rojo
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Cincinnati has historically struggled against both Frisco and LA and both have solid teams, big parks, and very good pitching.

We don't seem to have your tickets Mr. Gomes.

westofyou
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
We don't seem to have your tickets Mr. Gomes.

What's frisco?

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I would consider 5-4 a huge success given the Reds struggles on the west coast, anything above that would be a huge bonus. 4-5 wouldn't kill the Reds but anything below that would have to be deemed a disappointment and would put a damper on the Reds playoff hopes.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 10:37 PM
What's frisco?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBFFSse0e-D_u3Q2FeFJ25vUMdSZdqIWmuQ_MuXwS3HctzA-k&t=1&usg=__-h4qc3X0n2JloVTZET9rGJPbGYU=

marcshoe
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Town near Dallas. I drove through there last month.

http://apartmentsinfriscotexas.com/images/frisco-texas-apartment.jpg

edabbs44
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I would consider 5-4 a huge success, anything above that would be a huge bonus. Anything below 4-5 would obviously be a major disappointment and would put the Reds in a tough spot.

So a 4-5 record is the only middle ground between a huge success and a major disappointment?

15fan
08-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Boy howdy.

The West Coast swing has been disastrous for the Reds so many times.

Believe you & I made the same observation a couple weeks ago.

Reds never play well out west.

Never.

VR
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
The 2 game swing in standings couldn't have come at a better time....the Reds can weather a subpar trip, and can really make some hay with a prosperous one.

Just connected my travel dots....I'm flying into LA for biz next Sunday night. I am now changing it to Sunday morning to catch the finale of the Rojos/Doyers. I'm pumped.

HeatherC1212
08-15-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd happily take a 5-4 road trip record and anything better than that would be awesome. I'm not sweating this trip as much as years past but it does make me a little nervous. I think it's good that it starts in Arizona (I think they get 2/3 there) because they can gradually ease into it if that makes any sense. A 4-5 road trip isn't a disaster but I hope the guys are shooting to have a winning road trip. I'm sure they've heard all about how they're not expected to do well on the west coast and hopefully it gives them some extra motivation to do well. :)

toledodan
08-16-2010, 12:13 AM
5-4 IMO is what i would consider a good trip. the hudson kid pitching on tue has pitched well since they got him. we need that game to get us off on the right foot. i think we will win 2 of 3 from dbacks and dodgers than lose 2 of 3 against the giants. anything else would be a bonus for sure.

Tornon
08-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Heard them say in the telecast today we haven't won in LA since Brandon Claussen beat the Dodgers in 2005. However.. until this year, the Reds had also not beaten Roy Oswalt (with him getting the loss) since Brandon Claussen did so in 2006.. time to turn these tides

toledodan
08-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Heard them say in the telecast today we haven't won in LA since Brandon Claussen beat the Dodgers in 2005. However.. until this year, the Reds had also not beaten Roy Oswalt (with him getting the loss) since Brandon Claussen did so in 2006.. time to turn these tides

i heard that as well. not sure about the pitching matchups but like our pitching this season. i'm glad we are starting the trip in arizona so maybe some success will get them going when they get on the coast.

Ghosts of 1990
08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
If we play well on this trip, and maintain the lead in the NL Central; we're about to get hit with a flurry of praise from the national media and getting some serious respect and consideration.

And call me greedy but I want all 3 in Arizona.

Ron Madden
08-16-2010, 03:08 AM
I'd love to see the Reds win two outta every three games the rest of the season.

:)

marcshoe
08-16-2010, 03:46 AM
The Reds are starting out with the weakest team, and it would be nice to see them get things going with a sweep. The kid pitching Tuesday does worry me a bit, though. I know nothing about him, but his numbers look good.

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 05:46 AM
I have a hunch the bats are going to break out big-time in the higher-altitude HR-friendly Chase Field, leading to a sweep of the D-Backs. That, combined with one 2-1 series and one 1-2 series (take your pick as to which will be which), and they'll get by at 6-3.

Cicero
08-16-2010, 09:34 AM
2 of 3 in each city would be good, throw in a sweep and its a great trip.

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

If they have a winning record, I'd think that's pretty successful. I'd probably take 4-5 cosidering past performances.

You shouldn't consider past performance though. This Reds team is better than ones in the past, so the record should be better. I don't think .500 would be a success for a team trying to win the division. The Reds should be able to win at least 6-3.

hebroncougar
08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Some of you need to look at road records across the league. The Reds are one of three teams with a winning road record in the NL. 6-3 would be awesome, but reality says 5-4 is great trip, 4-5 is probably what we should expect. Sure, you shoot for 9-0, but reality has to be looked at as well.

MattyHo4Life
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Some of you need to look at road records across the league. The Reds are one of three teams with a winning road record in the NL. 6-3 would be awesome, but reality says 5-4 is great trip, 4-5 is probably what we should expect. Sure, you shoot for 9-0, but reality has to be looked at as well.

reality is that a good team (especially a team that is good on the road) can win anywhere.

Roy Tucker
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I think previous years records can be chucked for 2010. Look at what the Reds did in Oakland earlier this year. These Reds have got spunk and have played well on the road. Pitching and defense will keep you in any game.

Having said that, they ought to be OK in Arizona, but LA and SF always play tough at home. At least they don't have to play in Candlestick any more. That place was nasty.

Like many have said, I'll be happy with 5-4.

BCubb2003
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
But this is the West Coast, where there be dragons. Even the Reds this year have been cursed. By the likes of Seattle, even.

hebroncougar
08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
reality is that a good team (especially a team that is good on the road) can win anywhere.

So there are only 3 "good" teams in the NL? Reds, Padres, and Giants? Like I said.......reality. Heck, the vaunted Cards are 25-31 on the road, and that's after taking the last 3 in Cincy.

cumberlandreds
08-16-2010, 11:39 AM

They way Lincecum has pitched lateyly it might not be so bad to face him.

5-4 trip would be outstanding considering how the Reds have played out there in recent years. If they do that they will be in fine shape for the stretch run.

backbencher
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
You shouldn't consider past performance though. This Reds team is better than ones in the past, so the record should be better. I don't think .500 would be a success for a team trying to win the division. The Reds should be able to win at least 6-3.

There is a lot of nonsense in this thread, but I'll give the call-out quote to the Cards fan.

No team is baseball is winning at a .667 clip. No team in baseball is even close. Expecting a team to win at .667 on a west coast road trip is setting up an extraordinarily unrealistic standard.

Six wins may indeed be the goal. Six wins may be needed to make the playoffs. But three wins is well within the realm of reasonable possibility, four would be a solid trip and five would be above expectations.

Hoosier Red
08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
The 2 game swing in standings couldn't have come at a better time....the Reds can weather a subpar trip, and can really make some hay with a prosperous one.

Agreed. If the Cardinals go 7-2 over the next 9 and the Reds go 4-5, the Reds finish the dreaded west coast road trip only 2 games back. At that point the Cardinals play 24 games in 25 days(worse if they decide to play the Marlins on September 20, they will have had one day off for the final 6 weeks.)

So really any situation where the Reds come home better than 2 games back is a bonus.
Any situation where they come back worse would be disappointing to say the least.

traderumor
08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
reality is that a good team (especially a team that is good on the road) can win anywhere.So that makes the Cards not a good team with a losing road record? Or do they hang their hat on last week's sweep for the rest of the season as proof that they "can win anywhere?"

15fan
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
But this is the West Coast, where there be dragons. Even the Reds this year have been cursed. By the likes of Seattle, even.

Yep.

My better half travels out west regularly for work. Never underestimate what a 4+ hour cross-country / cross multiple time zone trip does to a body. It's brutal going out, and brutal coming back.

traderumor
08-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Yep.

My better half travels out west regularly for work. Never underestimate what a 4+ hour cross-country / cross multiple time zone trip does to a body. It's brutal going out, and brutal coming back.The luck of the draw has them hitting the shorter jaunt to Arizona and a bad Dbacks team first. Maybe they can get their sea legs under them and then make some hay with SF and LA. Win two series, lose one would be fine with me.

westofyou
08-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Fact is when they hit the coast they spend more time hitting the town and assorted attractions all day too. It's been a tradition since the NYC boys flew west. The weather is good, there's famous sites, beaches, boardwalks, lotsa stuff on the coast to do with a pocketful of cash and a free day.

Roy Tucker
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Fact is when they hit the coast they spend more time hitting the town and assorted attractions all day too. It's been a tradition since the NYC boys flew west. The weather is good, there's famous sites, beaches, boardwalks, lotsa stuff on the coast to do with a pocketful of cash and a free day.

The West coast has the sunshine
And the girls all get so tanned

RedsMan3203
08-25-2010, 09:19 PM
The goal from here on out is, 2 out of 3... So, I'd take a total west swing of 6-3. In the end I don't care how they get to that 6/3 mark.

I think the Reds can handle Dbacks/LA just fine and when SF came to Cincinnati the Reds did well against them..

It wasn't pretty... But its still 6-3

Joseph
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
It wasn't pretty... But its still 6-3

I'm happy with 6 of 9 almost all the time.

CarolinaRedleg
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM

67 percent of the time, it works every time.

kaldaniels
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM

No pumpkin yet Joseph!

traderumor
08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
While the easy win would have saved a lot of elevated heart beats, I tend to think that winning the game in the end might just have a bigger psychological effect on the team. Of course, they would be on their way home by now....

Rojo
08-25-2010, 09:28 PM

I don't mind, I don't mind.

Cyclone792
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty much speechless from today's game, but all in all, I guess I have to be pretty happy with a 6-3 trip despite how the final three games turned out. Boy did the Reds dodge one today, though.

And lastly, an off day tomorrow probably couldn't come at a better time all year (maybe except for the off day after the Cardinals series). Let's hope this team is ready to get back out there Friday night.

RBA
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Luckily the Reds have gotten their fill of Arizona since they do spring training there. Hopefully, none of them had the urge to revisit a spring training hookup. ;)

membengal
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
6-3! Style points be durned!

6-3!

Left one game up, coming back at least 2 1/2 up and maybe a tad more?

Yes, please. Even with the horror that was bleeding away a 10-1 lead today. Past Reds teams don't find a way to pull that out.

6-3!

REDblooded
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I would've considered 5-4 a success... 6-3 is like getting a better bike than the one you'd asked for under the Christmas tree...

Homer Bailey
08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I have a hunch the bats are going to break out big-time in the higher-altitude HR-friendly Chase Field, leading to a sweep of the D-Backs. That, combined with one 2-1 series and one 1-2 series (take your pick as to which will be which), and they'll get by at 6-3.

:beerme:

kaldaniels
08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
If you gave me 5-4 today I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Thats 2 of 3 vs the DBacks and LA, 1 of 3 against SF.

Asking for more than that on a west coast swing is gettin greedy...not that I wouldn't take it.

I'm thrilled.

Brutus
08-25-2010, 09:58 PM

I'll pay for the ticket and split the winnings with you if you give me the winning lotto numbers.

mdccclxix
08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
What a series...went to all 3 games...balls flying every which damn way...glad to be out of SF with at least a win! Sick of Giants fans by now, for sure. My goodness.

RedLegSuperStar
08-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I would say we go 6-3

I felt real good about this about the 4th inning today.. Then my heart sank. Thank god we draft Joesph Freaking Votto!

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Awesome trip by the Reds. The series in San Francisco was a mess but the all in all, the west coast trip was a huge success. The Reds were one game up on the Cardinals when they started the trip and return home with a 3 1/2 game lead with 35 games remaining.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm so glad I wasn't home when the Reds blew that huge lead. I would probably have a few holes in my wall right now. What is up with this team and big leads? I have never seen anything like this. They've already lost two games this season in which they carried a six run lead into the 9th inning, and then today they blew a 10-1 lead in the 5th inning. Thankfully they were able to pull this one out. The've also turned a few other blowouts into interesting games, like the one in Chicago a few weeks ago, and the one is Arizona last week. I never feel comfortable with a lead.

oregonred
08-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Think about this...

If you were told this trip would include;

4 Hideous Starts (2 by Volquez, Cueto and Wood)

2 Bad starts (Wood vs Az, Bailey's outing today)

3 Good starts (Arroyo twice and Bailey)

I would have bet on a 2-7 or 3-6 trip and a season teetering on the edge.

Instead they somehow manage to go 6-3, pick up 2.5 games on the Cardinals.

They won all three well pitched games, both "bad" games and 1 of the hideous efforts - Volquez in Az.

Off day couldn't come at a better time.

sabometrics
08-26-2010, 01:47 AM
I'll pay for the ticket and split the winnings with you if you give me the winning lotto numbers.

:beerme:

SF wasn't pretty but big picture wise this team passed a huge test. We can worry all we want about the shortcomings this squad has, but they all have them, and we're still in good shape. Now lets beat up on the Cubs and Brewers and head into St. Louis looking for the knock out blow to their playoff chances!

I'll get back to you on the lotto ticket next year. Right now I want to burn all my luck on something else.