Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Harang 2.0 5 5 5 1 3 0 22.50

Ouch!

BEETTLEBUG
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Harang getting Hammered after two 5 runs

muddie
08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
The Mudcats played five innings in Jax today. The game was called at that point due to rain at the fairgrounds. The Mudcats were no hit through the five innings. Final 1-0 Jax. This seaon is ending on a very bad note. Three more weeks and it is over.

mace
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Harang: 5 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.
Sappelt: 3 for 4.
Bats through 6: 9 H, 0 R.
5-0 Clippers.

CTA513
08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Harang started out bad but finished up a lot better.
I think he only allowed 1 base runner in innings 3-5.

batsfan
08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Bats get swept in Columbus, and are 2.5 out of first now (though still 3.0 ahead in the wild card). They did not get a hit with runners in scoring position all series.

GOYA
08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Player AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG
Sappelt CF 5 0 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 .353
Cozart SS 5 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 .262
Alonso 1B 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 .295
Frazier DH 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 .252
Balentien RF 4 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 .274
Dorn LF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .286
Valaika 2B 4 1 3 1 0 0 1 0 0 .307
Miller C 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 .285
Griffin 3B 4 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 .257

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Harang (L, 0-1) 5.0 5 5 5 2 5 0 9.00
Del Rosario 1.0 3 2 2 0 0 2 3.13
Chapman 1.0 0 0 0 1 1 0 3.74
Herrera 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4.39

I'm just back from Cincinnati. It was good to see Homer pitch well up there.

mace
08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Bats get swept in Columbus, and are 2.5 out of first now (though still 3.0 ahead in the wild card). They did not get a hit with runners in scoring position all series.

Getting Francisco back will certainly help in that regard.

mace
08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Lynchburg wins, 6-4. Cody Puckett, playing left field, was 2 for 4 with his 13th HR. Donnie Joseph fanned two in a perfect ninth for the save, following good relief work by Daniel Guerrero and Jeff Jeffords.

Kingspoint
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't have let Aaron Harang pitch for Louisville against Columbus.

Why ruin their season with one of his starts?

Leave him in AA until he can figure out how to get people out on a consistent basis.

BigRed75
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I went to the Bats-Clippers game. Harang had rather good velocity (hit 93 and 94 a handful of times) but they were teeing off on his fastball. I'm assuming his fastball has become very flat with little or no movement. The only time he did well was with his breaking pitches. Harang has basically zero push off from his back leg and his core isn't being used in the slightest. He is throwing 100% with his arm. Thanks for the 3-4 good years Aaron but you're toast. I'm guessing if the Reds can't find a suitor (which they probably can't) they will eventually bring him up in September to get mop up duty. Some quick observations...

- I thought Cozart looked good at the plate and in the field.
- Valaika looks for real at the plate but he surprised me on how slow he ran.
- Alonso is legit as well. The guy has a special sound when he hits the ball.
- I can't believe I left early and missed seeing Chapman pitch. :bang:

Kingspoint
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM

It's a high quality swing, for sure.

He's going to hit in the Majors.

mace
08-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Ronald Torreyes, cult hero, has his first HR for the AZL Reds, and is 2 for 3. Miguel Rojas is rehabbing there and is 3 for 4. It's a newsy night for the AZL boys. Kyle Waldrop gets his first start, and is 2 for 3 as the DH, batting fifth. Ismael Guillon is not having his best outing, however. The Reds lead 4-3 in the fifth.

CTA513
08-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Leave him in AA until he can figure out how to get people out on a consistent basis.

What the minor league teams are doing mean very little when the Reds are trying to get a player ready to return from an injury.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 12:13 AM
From Bill Mitchell:

Ronald Torreyes (AZL #Reds) just smacked a bomb over LF fence. Little guy, big time sleeper.

Kyle Waldrop already has 2 hits in 1st game for AZL #Reds. Nice swing.

http://twitter.com/billazbbphotog

Mutaman
08-16-2010, 12:23 AM
What the minor league teams are doing mean very little when the Reds are trying to get a player ready to return from an injury.

Tell that to the 9,000 folks who pay to watch the Bats every night. Harang could have just as easily rehabbed in AA.

corkedbat
08-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Tell that to the 9,000 folks who pay to watch the Bats every night. Harang could have just as easily rehabbed in AA.

Agreed.

CTA513
08-16-2010, 12:46 AM

Harang is a veteran pitcher and they are not going to send him to Jacksonville Florida to rehab when he could rehab in Columbus.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Ronald Torreyes: 3-for-6 HR (#1 in AZL, #5 overall)

RedsFanInBama
08-16-2010, 02:59 AM
They should already know it. Their success in terms of wins and losses is secondary to the needs to the major league team and player development. It is what it is.

Kingspoint
08-16-2010, 03:04 AM

Yeah, I know that. Once in a while though, I see a Major League club do a favor to a Minor League affiliate. This was one of those opportunities.

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Torreyes is just a (nano)machine. All that kid does is hit. If he finishes up strong - and all signs lead us to believe he will - I have to imagine he'll start next year in Dayton and be given the go-ahead to continue a quick rise through the organization if the pace continues. Guys that hit nearly .400 at multiple levels shouldn't be treated with the normal restraint seen with most prospects in my opinion.

Of course Rookie ball is a lot different than the higher levels, we'll just have to enjoy watching his success and hope it continues to translate.

muddie
08-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I know that. Once in a while though, I see a Major League club do a favor to a Minor League affiliate. This was one of those opportunities.

I agree with this. As much time as Volquez spent in the minors I would have thought he could have gotten one start in Carolina. He started twice in Lynchburg as I recall and went to Louisville. I saw him once with Lynchburg and once with Louisville. It would have been nice to see him here once.

Tampa Red
08-16-2010, 06:03 AM
I'd think that the majority of the 9,000 fans would enjoy watching the established major leaguer. It's not like the Bats skipped over Cueto and Arroyo just so Harang could pitch.

redsmetz
08-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I went to the Bats-Clippers game. Harang had rather good velocity (hit 93 and 94 a handful of times) but they were teeing off on his fastball. I'm assuming his fastball has become very flat with little or no movement. The only time he did well was with his breaking pitches. Harang has basically zero push off from his back leg and his core isn't being used in the slightest. He is throwing 100% with his arm. Thanks for the 3-4 good years Aaron but you're toast. I'm guessing if the Reds can't find a suitor (which they probably can't) they will eventually bring him up in September to get mop up duty. Some quick observations...

- I thought Cozart looked good at the plate and in the field.
- Valaika looks for real at the plate but he surprised me on how slow he ran.
- I can't believe I left early and missed seeing Chapman pitch. :bang:

I would confirm what BigRed75 said about the game. I was there with my wife and son and a friend of his. We were right down by the field, about the 5th row. Harang did hit those speeds (I think 94 was the tops that I saw too) but they beat him around like a rag doll in the second. And I think you're absolutely right that he was getting no push from his legs at all. I'm not sure if I can say he's definitely toast, but he won't be up anytime soon. I think it's safe to say he won't be with the Reds until the rosters expand and agree he'll most likely finish out in the bullpen, possibly a spot start. That said, we'll see how he does in his next couple of rehab assignments. I think it is a good bet they won't be picking up his option.

Del Rosario was equally unimpressive, giving up two home runs and a single before he got anyone out. It was fun seeing Chapman pitch and funny to see Herrara come in after him. Daniel Ray should tether himself to Aroldis and get it written in his contract to always pitch after Chapman.

I liked both Valaika and Cozart in the field. And Alonso comported himself well at 1st too. I don't know much about Michael Griffin, but he did a nice job over at third too.

The Bats outhit the Clippers, but as BR75 noted, they did nothing with runners in scoring position. A lot of pop ups that killed them.

Where were you sitting, BR75? We were in Section 5 down the 3rd base line. Actually, kudos to our usher. The sales rep who got me these tickets was supposed to buy four, but there were only two at the window (with the receipt for just two), so I purchased some $6 tickets for the tower seats. When my wife and I went to our seats, I asked the usher if she knew of any season ticket holders who might not be coming and she cleaned off two seats to our left and said for the guys to come on over.

Nice ballpark, nestled down below street level. Good dimensions too. Interesting piece to the stadium is out in right field where there are three or four openings (covered by screens) where folks can walk up from the street and watch the game there for nothing. Here's a view from outside. The above areas are paid seating, but the bottom views are where folks can stand to see the game.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ETPFxmMsvGwKpM:b

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
I liked both Valaika and Cozart in the field. And Alonso comported himself well at 1st too. I don't know much about Michael Griffin, but he did a nice job over at third too.

Any thoughts on Sappelt? He had 3 hits....

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Torreyes is just a (nano)machine. All that kid does is hit. If he finishes up strong - and all signs lead us to believe he will - I have to imagine he'll start next year in Dayton and be given the go-ahead to continue a quick rise through the organization if the pace continues. Guys that hit nearly .400 at multiple levels shouldn't be treated with the normal restraint seen with most prospects in my opinion.

We'll see. Only reason not to push the bat would be if his overall baseball instincts are poor. But I doubt that's the case. What a year with the stick -- will be interesting to see if he gets any buzz among the national-scale prospect mavens. If he doesn't, they're missing something.

batsfan
08-16-2010, 11:06 AM

I have no problems with the organization's decision to start Harang for Louisville instead of Carolina, and hope they start him again on Friday, as planned. Harang was the least of the Bats problems in the game. I doubt starting Ben Jukich, the scheduled starter, would have lead to a bats win, and I know that replacing him with Harang made me feel much more confident about the game. It is impossible to conclude that Harang is not able to get AAA hitters out after one start - that's like saying that LeCure should be sent down to AA for the rest of the season, since he pitched a bad game Friday. His last 3 innings were excellent. Whatever the Bats do - whether they go on a surge to win the division, play decently and hold their wild card lead, or go in to a slump and not make the playoffs at all, it is impossible to blame it on Harang's start.

nemesis
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
We'll see. Only reason not to push the bat would be if his overall baseball instincts are poor. But I doubt that's the case. What a year with the stick -- will be interesting to see if he gets any buzz among the national-scale prospect mavens. If he doesn't, they're missing something.

If he was a Yankee prospect he'd be in the Top 25... Just how they pundits work. Reds hands down, short of Low A, have some of the best coaches and development people in baseball right now. Lot's of good International scouts as well. Torreyes wasn't some back woods unknown. Kid had a pedigree.

redsmetz
08-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Any thoughts on Sappelt? He had 3 hits....

Sorry, he looked good, but I have to admit that not being overly familiar with everyone, and the fact that none of the players had names on their jerseys, it made it difficult for me to keep track of who was who. I was acutely aware that I would be letting the board down with a lack of details.

BigRed75
08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I would confirm what BigRed75 said about the game. I was there with my wife and son and a friend of his. We were right down by the field, about the 5th row. Harang did hit those speeds (I think 94 was the tops that I saw too) but they beat him around like a rag doll in the second. And I think you're absolutely right that he was getting no push from his legs at all. I'm not sure if I can say he's definitely toast, but he won't be up anytime soon. I think it's safe to say he won't be with the Reds until the rosters expand and agree he'll most likely finish out in the bullpen, possibly a spot start. That said, we'll see how he does in his next couple of rehab assignments. I think it is a good bet they won't be picking up his option.

Del Rosario was equally unimpressive, giving up two home runs and a single before he got anyone out. It was fun seeing Chapman pitch and funny to see Herrara come in after him. Daniel Ray should tether himself to Aroldis and get it written in his contract to always pitch after Chapman.

The Bats outhit the Clippers, but as BR75 noted, they did nothing with runners in scoring position. A lot of pop ups that killed them.

Where were you sitting, BR75? We were in Section 5 down the 3rd base line. Actually, kudos to our usher. The sales rep who got me these tickets was supposed to buy four, but there were only two at the window (with the receipt for just two), so I purchased some $6 tickets for the tower seats. When my wife and I went to our seats, I asked the usher if she knew of any season ticket holders who might not be coming and she cleaned off two seats to our left and said for the guys to come on over.

Nice ballpark, nestled down below street level. Good dimensions too. Interesting piece to the stadium is out in right field where there are three or four openings (covered by screens) where folks can walk up from the street and watch the game there for nothing. Here's a view from outside. The above areas are paid seating, but the bottom views are where folks can stand to see the game.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ETPFxmMsvGwKpM:b

I was actually on the other side...8 rows up from 1B. I had to make sure I was going to be in the shade as I was with my son and knew he wouldn't like sitting in the sun that whole time. I haven't been to that many minor league parks...maybe 12. The stadium here in Columbus is just awesome in my opinion. Great for the kids and lots of fun little "nooks" to watch the game or just hang out. Sappelt looked good and has some great speed but he just didn't come across as a guy that would be a significant contributor in the Majors. Think of him as another Norris Hopper type...solid fundamentals but no wow factor.

lollipopcurve
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Sorry, he looked good, but I have to admit that not being overly familiar with everyone, and the fact that none of the players had names on their jerseys, it made it difficult for me to keep track of who was who. I was acutely aware that I would be letting the board down with a lack of details.

Thanks, redsmetz. Any reports always appreciated! Enjoy the game, it's no assignment!