PDA

View Full Version : Tiebreaker scenario question

arkimadee
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
If the Reds and the Cards end up tied at the end of the regular season, both for the division and the wildcard, do they still have a playoff game to determine who is the division winner? Or do they choose the team that has the best head to head record to win the division and the other team to be the Wildcard? Like most of you, these playoff scenarios are a new thing to me

davereds24
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
no playoff, cards would win division

sivman17
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
When two or more MLB teams are tied for a division championship or wild card playoff berth at the end of the regular season, a one-game playoff is used to determine the winner, except in cases where the tie is a two-way tie for a division championship and the tied teams' records are higher than the records of the second place teams in the other divisions. In this scenario, the winner of the season series between the two teams is deemed division champion for purposes of playoff seeding, and the loser of the season series is given the wild card.

arkimadee
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks!

Swampturkey
08-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Also, they flip a coin to determine where the tie breaker game is to be held.

davereds24
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Also, they flip a coin to determine where the tie breaker game is to be held.

no they don't, it goes by head to head record

MikeThierry
08-16-2010, 01:13 AM
If the Reds and the Cards end up tied at the end of the regular season, both for the division and the wildcard, do they still have a playoff game to determine who is the division winner? Or do they choose the team that has the best head to head record to win the division and the other team to be the Wildcard? Like most of you, these playoff scenarios are a new thing to me

I also think if the Cards are down by a 1/2 game, they will play the rained out game in Florida. Right now, the cards schedule is 161 games due to that rainout, if I'm not mistaken.

stevekun
08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
no they don't, it goes by head to head record

When did this change? Cause the last time we were in a tie breaker playoff we hosted due to the coin

texasdave
08-16-2010, 01:21 AM
When did this change? Cause the last time we were in a tie breaker playoff we hosted due to the coin

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090917&content_id=7018116

mckbearcat48
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
The team you were in the playoff in was from a different division, and both teams couldn't go to the playoffs.