PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset appreciation thread

mlh1981
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
After such a terrible start, he has really become a dependable guy out of the bullpen, and thanks in large part to his effort, has helped turn around a big time weakness into a strength of this team.

Month by month, his ERA has improved, he's improved his control, and overall, become one of those guys who you know when he's into the game, that we stand a pretty good chance of emerging unscathed.
:beerme:

redsfan_12
08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Other than Rhodes and Smith, Masset has been very reliable. Glad to see him bounce back.

arkimadee
08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
good job nick. keep up the good work

redlegs2370
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Is it too early to say the trade was a steal for the Reds? I know Griffey brought fans into the ballpark but the White Sox got a rental for 2 months and the Reds may have their closer of the future.

Orodle
08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
When Massett is in Nasty mode hes unhittable.

One of the most under rated trades for the past few years is the Reds getting Massett for Jr.

cincysportsfan
08-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Has been lights out recently. I would give him a shot at closer if CoCo starts to blow another save.

Quatitos
08-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Is it too early to say the trade was a steal for the Reds? I know Griffey brought fans into the ballpark but the White Sox got a rental for 2 months and the Reds may have their closer of the future.
I think Masset's performance last year was enough to show that the trade was a win for the Reds. Everything after that will just be a bonus from now on.

Does Masset have 2 or 3 years to go before free agency? (counting this year)

crazyjdawg
08-16-2010, 12:34 AM
When Massett is in Nasty mode hes unhittable.

One of the most under rated trades for the past few years is the Reds getting Massett for Jr.

We basically got him for free.

Orodle
08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
How is it too early? Jr was pretty worthless the last season we/Whitesox had him and now hes out of baseball. There wasnt anymore fans coming to the ballpark on a regular basis to watch Ken Griffey Jr.

Mutaman
08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Masset was the hero of the weekend. Good job by Baker sticking with him through some tough times. Hes back to his 2009 form.

texasdave
08-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Masset's stuff has been filthy all season. It is just that the Gods of Baseball were conspiring against him early in the season. In his first 13 appearances this season he had pitched 11 innings and struck out 19. That pretty much defines filthy. However, he had an ungodly .536 BABIP. I would submit that no pitcher is going to have much success when over half the batted balls that stay in play are falling for hits. Not that Nick was completely blameless early on. He walked 9 batters in those same 11 innings and thrice the ball left the stadium.
Since that time Masset has appeared in 48 games. During that span his BABIP has been a sane .280. In a little over 44 innings pitched his ERA has been 2.03.
Nice little bounceback by Nick once the GOB stopped hounding him.

Redeye fly
08-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Masset's stuff has been filthy all season. It is just that the Gods of Baseball were conspiring against him early in the season. In his first 13 appearances this season he had pitched 11 innings and struck out 19. That pretty much defines filthy. However, he had an ungodly .536 BABIP. I would submit that no pitcher is going to have much success when over half the batted balls that stay in play are falling for hits. Not that Nick was completely blameless early on. He walked 9 batters in those same 11 innings and thrice the ball left the stadium.
Since that time Masset has appeared in 48 games. During that span his BABIP has been a sane .280. In a little over 44 innings pitched his ERA has been 2.03.
Nice little bounceback by Nick once the GOB stopped hounding him.

I do concur with this. I remember early in the year when Masset was sucking he was striking out guys at an extremely impressive rate. Pretty good analysis all the way around, pointing out a ridiculously high babip but not saying he was just having bad luck.

The guy truly is a luxury to have in the bullpen. He's got as many plus pitches as a starter, and can throw them all with pretty much max effort coming out of the pen and not have to pace himself through 6 or 7 innings.