PDA

View Full Version : Next 18 games w/ pitching matchup...

jesusfan
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I figured I'd go through the rotations and see what the pitching matchups should look like during the next 18 games..I have Wood coming back Thursday against the D-backs and Cueto going on Saturday against the Dodgers.. Of course, barring injuries and/or sending pitchers down this is what it looks like..

17- Dbacks. Arroyo vs Hudson
18- Dbacks. Volquez vs Lopez
19- Dbacks. Leake vs Saunders
20- LADodg. Wood vs Padilla
21- LADodg. Cueto vs Billingsley
22- LADodg. Arroyo vs Kershaw
23- Sanfran. Volquez vs Cain
24- Sanfran. Leake vs Sanchez
25- Sanfran. Wood vs Bumgarner
27- Chicago. Cueto vs Gorzelanny
28- Chicago. Arroyo vs Wells
29- Chicago. Volquez vs Coleman
30- Brewers. Leake vs Narveson
31- Brewers. Wood vs Parra
1- Brewers. Cueto vs Bush
3- Cardinals Arroyo vs Garcia
4- Cardinals Volquez vs Wainwright
5- Cardinals Wood vs Carpenter (off day I'd let Wood go instead of Leake)

Hoosier Red
08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I figured I'd go through the rotations and see what the pitching matchups should look like during the next 18 games..I have Wood coming back Thursday against the D-backs and Cueto going on Saturday against the Dodgers.. Of course, barring injuries and/or sending pitchers down this is what it looks like..

Did I just miss something big? What happened to Homer?

traderumor
08-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Awfully hard to do this with any kind of accuracy when you have Homer coming back and giving a strong start in a big game, Harang on a rehab, Wood in the minors and Leake in the majors on innings watches...

Caveat Emperor
08-16-2010, 04:38 PM

That's the $64,000 question right now -- you've got a 5 man rotation with 6 guys all throwing the ball extremely well.

I'm guessing Leake gets shut down here shortly -- or, in the alternative, sent down to AAA to operate with a caddy the way Wood did this week to keep him on regular throwing schedule for a possible re-call in September.

11larkin11
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I pretty much trust our ENTIRE rotation right now, so I won't even look at our guys. As far as our opponents...

I like our chances in all 3 vs. AZ, with the first being a possible loss (Hudson=good, first game off plane isn't great)

vs. LA, I like our chances of winning for the first time in 5 years at Chavez Ravine right off the bat vs. Padilla, Billingsley and Kershaw are tough.

vs. SF, all 3 are going to be quite difficult

vs. CHI and MIL are 6 pretty easy tests, although IIRC, Gorzelanny tends to give us fits, but we've owned the Cubbies this year

And of course vs. STL, who knows. Maybe we'll return the sweep :) But its their big 3, but from now on when these two teams face each other, all bets are off.

RedLegSuperStar
08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Wood will start when he is recalled.. Which will be Thursday vs. DBacks. Homer has to be figured into the mix. Leake will see less and less action down the stretch.

OesterPoster
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
After all the issues last week, I'm really hoping that Cueto's turn doesn't fall during the St. Louis trip. I don't know if he'd be able to handle it......or perhaps he'd thrive on it?

Puffy
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Ahhhh, I was hoping we'd miss Cain. Dagburnit.

Redsfan320
08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I would put Homer in the rotation for Leake as of now. So we have BA-EV-TW-HB-JC. Personally, I'd prefer to never again see Harang in a Reds uniform again, especially not in the rotation. But I understand many feel quite differently.

OesterPoster
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm with ya. And with the Padres trying to find ways to limit Latos' innings, a Harang to San Diego trade makes too much sense. Hometown, big park, etc.

Degenerate39
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm with ya. And with the Padres trying to find ways to limit Latos' innings, a Harang to San Diego trade makes too much sense. Hometown, big park, etc.

I wouldn't want to help possibly improve any team the Reds could see in the playoffs

traderumor
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't want to help possibly improve any team the Reds could see in the playoffs

Which is why it makes sense ;)

Degenerate39
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Which is why it makes sense ;)

More times than not ex-Reds kill the Reds

REDREAD
08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
At this point, I think it's pointless to trade Harang.
IIRC, he had a rough rehab start in Louisville.

Sure, we might be able to trade Harang, if we ate all his salary + buyout, and if we accepted a worthless prospect in return.. but what's the point?

Why not just ride out the year, let Harang be emergency depth. Why give him to an opponent for essentially nothing in return.. Who knows, we might have an injury in the rotation and might need Harang to fill in a couple of starts.

jesusfan
08-16-2010, 07:54 PM

I was just basing it on the fact that Wood is coming back and were not going to have a 6 man rotation.. I'd love to have Bailey in there instead of Leake at this point to be honest, but my prediction is Homer will be in the pen until Leake falters, which may or may not happen again..

In any event, I trust all of our starters so it's more about who we are facing.. I'd also point out that I'd love to keep the righty outfield of Gomes, Stubbs, Heisey going against lefties and Nix, Edmonds, Bruce going against righties. I know some will argue that you cant' do that because you'll have 0 consistency. Well... We havent had a consistent outfield offense all year, so this gives us the best chance of winning..

membengal
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Random stat that I don't know what other thread to put in...did you know the Reds are up to 6th in the NL with a 3.93 team ERA?

IslandRed
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Random stat that I don't know what other thread to put in...did you know the Reds are up to 6th in the NL with a 3.93 team ERA?

And lead the league -- comfortably -- in road ERA?

Reds1
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Now this is my opinion, but I think Leake has earned a long relief role and Homer deserves a shot. This guy was one of the top pitchers the end of last season and he was very strong his 1st outing and Leake has high innings and has struggled pretty much since AS break if not before. I have no idea where Harang fits in, but he got shelled today so that decision is not needed yet. Much can happen.

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2010, 01:17 AM
That's the $64,000 question right now -- you've got a 5 man rotation with 6 guys all throwing the ball extremely well.

I'm guessing Leake gets shut down here shortly -- or, in the alternative, sent down to AAA to operate with a caddy the way Wood did this week to keep him on regular throwing schedule for a possible re-call in September.

But Leake has not been throwing the ball extremely well.

In terms of stuff, he doesn't hold a candle to Bailey; and Bailey's arm is more fresh.

If the Reds don't yank Leake for Bailey or Wood; they're asking for trouble. Leake has had a nice rookie season. He'll get a few ROY votes. But it's time to sit down for the year and for him to work on things for 2011.

The Operator
08-17-2010, 01:25 AM

This team's pitching makes me giddy as a fan.

They only lack one piece: a sure fire, TOR ace-caliber pitcher. I'm hoping Walt can grab a guy like that over the offseason (Greinke maybe?) but for right now, I'm ready to to go to war with this staff. They're very underrated.

WebScorpion
08-17-2010, 03:29 AM
This team's pitching makes me giddy as a fan.

They only lack one piece: a sure fire, TOR ace-caliber pitcher. I'm hoping Walt can grab a guy like that over the offseason (Greinke maybe?) but for right now, I'm ready to to go to war with this staff. They're very underrated.

Our TOR starter is currently closing for the Louisville Bats. ;)

Here's what I'd do to the rotation:

Arroyo
Volquez
Wood
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
Volquez
Leake
Cueto
Bailey

When Wood comes up, Fisher goes down and whoever doesn't pitch of the Wood, Leake tandem becomes the long man in the 'pen. Ah, that wouldn't work because you can never tell when you need the long man and it could be too close to their start. Maybe we could have them pitch in tandem with a 4 inning limit for each, but then we'd be playing a man short basically. Ugh! I don't see much alternative besides sending one of them (Leake probably) down to stay on a regular schedule until Sep 1st. At least it's only a couple weeks.
:dunno:

The Operator
08-17-2010, 03:53 AM
I think Leake will be the odd man out once Cueto's suspension is up. And I'm okay with that. He's had a heck of a rookie campaign, but The Reds need to be careful with his arm and it's not as if they don't have reinforcements. For the first time in what seems like forever, The Reds have more pitching than they know what to do with.

It's such a nice change from the days of deciding which 5-tool outfielder would be the odd man out. I think my favorite thing about Walt Jocketty is that he's not Jim Bowden. It's a very good quality to have.

WebScorpion
08-17-2010, 04:10 AM
I think my favorite thing about Walt Jocketty is that he's not Jim Bowden. It's a very good quality to have.

Hey, I'm not Jim Bowden either!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky057.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)