PDA

View Full Version : Players we were wrong on...

Wheelhouse
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Just a little canvassing... which player when the Reds acquired him, did you put up a stink about, but then turned out to be pretty good. Mine is Miguel Cairo. I thought he was another member of the "Dusty club" that was going to eat up at-bats of our younger players. He has turned out to be a very good sub, both offensively and defensively....

The Operator
08-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Bronson Arroyo.

I hated that trade, but Arroyo has been a steady league average inning eating 15-win machine and WMP is nowhere to be found.

Scrap Irony
08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Eric Milton-- I thought he'd be league average or better, with an outside shot at ace-level production.

LincolnparkRed
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Jeff Conine, I mean as Marty told us that body was built for hitting. Thought he would give us a little more

seriously though, Joe Randa I despised that signing and was pleasantly surprised. Just wish Germano or Chick would have panned out for us

Puffy
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Rich Aurila - he played much better for Reds than I ever dreamed he'd do.

RedLegSuperStar
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Drafting Yonder Alonso when we had Joey Votto. He has been a main reason the Bats turn the year around and could help the Reds net that missing piece this offseason.

traderumor
Logan Ondrusek...while his time is still short for evaluation and projection, his beginning of the season appearances before he was sent to AAA had me never wanting to see him again. Since he came back, I've been able to relax a little when he is in there, figuring he'll get the job done quietly most of the time.

David Weathers...after he started and Graves finished the meltdown against the Cardinals several years ago, I was ready to DFA. He recovered that season and of course went on the next three seasons or so to be a reliable reliever.

Danny Serafini
I hated everything about trading for Brandon Phillips when it happened. Oops.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Bronson Arroyo.

I hated that trade, but Arroyo has been a steady league average inning eating 15-win machine and WMP is nowhere to be found.

Same here. I was ready to fire Krivsky when he made that move. I thought for sure Pena would turn into a monster while Arroyo would struggle in GABP. It turned out to be one of the best trades the Reds have made in a long time. Pena is now in the minor leagues while Bronson Arroyo has provided the Reds with 1,301.2 innings of 112 ERA+ baseball.

Homer Bailey
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
After beating my chest following Gomes' hot start, I'll have to put my tail between my legs and say that I'm starting to think I've been wrong on him.

In all fairness, I did say that I think he should play everday vs LHP, and about 60% against RHP, and I think he is now being overexposed. At this point, he can't be run out there everyday with the way he has defended. I think his defense has gotten significantly worse as the season has gone along.

OesterPoster
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Arthur Rhodes. I thought he was washed up and didn't understand that signing at all (at the time).

Captain Hook
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Sean Casey.

When the Reds traded him I was pretty upset figuring he had some really good years left in the tank as the everyday 1B.It may have been the teams he ended up with more then anything but he never had another big season after he left Cincinnati filling in mostly as backup.

puca
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Too many to list, which is probably why I'm not a GM. Players I was right on would be easier to compile.

Reds1
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Bronson Arroyo.

funny, didn't we trade wily mo! This is probably one of the best trades ever. ;)

Reds Fanatic
08-16-2010, 05:18 PM
The player on this year's team I was totally wrong on was Cairo. I will admit at the beginning of the year I could not figure out why he made the team and I thought he a waste of a roster spot and would not be around long. I am very glad to say I was completely off. He has been an huge part of the success of this team with the way he has filled in for Votto, Rolen, Phillips, etc he has really been clutch all year. Plus from everythnig I have read about him he seems like a real team leader behind the scenes too.

PuffyPig
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I hated everything about trading for Brandon Phillips when it happened. Oops.

That one surprises me, as virtually know one at the time seemed to hate it, IIRC.

We got a former high upside prospect for a middling pitcher.

Did you see something in Stevens no one else did?

BuckeyeRedleg
08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I thought Wily Mo was going to be the next great one.

TRF
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Let's see....

I got nothing. :)

this is because I am a baseball prophet.

I still maintain I was not completely wrong about Stubbs, but he is growing on me. But even way back when I thought his ceiling might be 4th OF.

Other than that, Aurilia. I loathed him the way Puffy loathed Randa.

oh yeah. and WMP. He's tearing up the PCL right now. I bet he gets a big league job next year.

Caveat Emperor
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I genuinely thought Matt Belisle was going to put it all together and turn into a solid #3 workhorse starter.

Saaaawwwwing and a miss on that one.

TRF
08-16-2010, 05:42 PM
ooh. forgot about Belisle. He's turned into a fine reliever though.

RedsManRick
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Put me on the Miguel Cairo bandwagon. I stand by my initial analysis, it was logically sound. But I'm certainly pleasantly surprised by how well he's hit and am happy to be wrong in my predictions.

On the flip side, I was on the "hold on to EE" bandwagon as well. I'll admit that I failed to appreciate that, to a certain extent, certain types of players aren't just "younger" versions of better players who have been unlucky, but a type unto themselves. EE is a hitting version Matt Belisle, capable of success when his flaws are under control (throwing errors & pop-ups), but not likely to ever "fix" those flaws. It's not that EE's pop-up rate was a fluke waiting to regress. It's that guys who hit that many pop-ups just don't tend to stick around for long. The same could be said for Belisle and his too frequent belt-high, middle-of-the-plate fastballs.

RANDY IN INDY
08-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Where are all the people who hated the trade for Scott Rolen?

mdccclxix
08-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I liked the Taveras signing and hated the Jerry Hairston pickup. I also believed in the Eric Milton hype, but didn't follow very closely back then.

RANDY IN INDY
08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Have to admit that I was wrong on the Cairo signing. Didn't like it and he has been nothing but "money." Didn't really like the Cabrerra signing, either, but he has been a big part of the turnaround in my opinion.

Danny Serafini
08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
That one surprises me, as virtually know one at the time seemed to hate it, IIRC.

We got a former high upside prospect for a middling pitcher.

Did you see something in Stevens no one else did?

Didn't know anything about Stevens, just wouldn't have given a bag of balls for Phillips at that time. At the time he a) had been a complete bust b) had an attitude problem and c) was out of options. Add in the fact that there were already a couple of 2B on the roster (though to be fair I wasn't that big a fan of Tony Womack) and it looked like acquiring a bad player with nowhere to play or nowhere to put him for no reason. Thankfully it worked out a whole lot better than I expected.

edabbs44
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM

In hiding?

edabbs44
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
IIRC, I wasn't against the Rheal Deal acquisition, but I was against the extension. Saw him as a decent pickup at the time for a rheally struggling bullpen.

Oh well.

kbrake
08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I think you can put down Cairo for all of Redszone.

For myself I'd have to say Eric Milton. I had not learned enough about baseball from Redszone to know any better.

Hap
08-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Someone could probably look this up.

I once (April 2008) predicted on this board that Joey Votto would never stick around in the big leagues because his swing was too slow. I then insinuated that he might be better off in Japan.

In the same post I remarked something to the effect of Corey Patterson beginning to lock in his stroke.

Yes......I feel like a fool........

But talking it out of my system can hopefully cleanse my soul.

Boss-Hog
08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Someone could probably look this up.

I once (April 2008) predicted on this board that Joey Votto would never stick around in the big leagues because his swing was too slow. I then insinuated that he might be better off in Japan.

In the same post I remarked something to the effect of Corey Patterson beginning to lock in his stroke.

Yes......I feel like a fool........

But talking it out of my system can hopefully cleanse my soul.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1594344&postcount=1

RED VAN HOT
08-16-2010, 06:48 PM

I didn't hate the trade because I wanted EE to be replaced. Yet, I never expected it to work this well. I thought Rolen would play a solid 3B, OPS around .750, and spend some time on the DL. In retrospect, the trade was the key to this year's success.

Painfully, I have to get this off my chest, even if it means losing what little credibility I have in RZ. At the time, I thought Willy T was a good signing.

mth123
08-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Everyone probably missed Cairo so I'll skip him.

I'll go on record with Scott Rolen. I thought he'd be an upgrade over EdE but thought his power was gone, he wasn't worth trading a highly rated pitching prosepct for and his money would prevent the team from acquiring a RH power guy for the middle of the order. He's been an MVP candidate that has filed that role and transformed the team.

While I'm eating crow, I'm just not a big fan of Ramon Hernandez but he's been pretty darned good this year and well worth the investment.

George Anderson
08-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Harry Spillman should replace Pete and not Ray Knight.

GOYA
08-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, I was only 9.

http://danmahan.com/autos/uploaded_images/1972_topps_menke-747749.jpg

marcshoe
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
The Milton signing completely turned around the way I looked at things, as I started listening to the people who hated it and paying attention to the way they evaluated players.

Also, Acevedo. I saw him in class A and thought he had great stuff and would eventually harness it. Nope.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
In hiding?

I mentioned several times on this board that I was wrong on that one and that I love my crow.

A few others have as well.

I still think they had the leverage to get him cheaper or in the off-season.

TRF
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
most weren't against acquiring Rolen, they thought the price was too steep.

I was actually against acquiring him.

so, oops.

mth123
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I mentioned several times on this board that I was wrong on that one and that I love my crow.

A few others have as well.

I still think they had the leverage to get him cheaper or in the off-season.

:thumbup:

IslandRed
08-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I didn't think Milton was going to be an ace but I figured him for overpaid, not worthless.

I thought Corey Patterson might do a fair imitation of Cesar Geronimo. Nope.

What the steal of Brandon Phillips ended up being, I thought they were getting in D'Angelo Jimenez.

nemesis
08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1594344&postcount=1

Wow. You were all kinds of wrong on that day... Lol... Dusty knows how to manage a bullpen... Ha!

johngalt
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Two players from the organization I was wrong on that we lost were Kevin Howard and Zach Ward.

I thought Howard had the makings of a late bloomer who would make a pretty solid second baseman with some power. He was old for his league a couple times but seemed to be getting better and putting up good numbers. I was really disappointed when he was unprotected in the Rule 5 draft and the Yankees picked him. Doesn't look so bad now.

Ward seemed like one of those college arms who could jet up the system and be a big-time groundball machine in the rotation. I thought he would've been a perfect cheap arm to fill out a rotation in GABP.

Ghosts of 1990
08-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I was wrong about Austin Kearns.

Probably too early to tell but its looking like I was wrong about Jay Bruce. While I thought Joey Votto was a better bodied Sean Casey, I was very wrong it appears.

One guy I wasn't wrong about at all, Adam Dunn.

membengal
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Whiffed on EE...not the Rolen trade part, but that EE would someday "get it" and become an offensive and defensive anchor for the Reds. They gave him plenty of chances, and he simply never became the player I thought he would be.

In the end, I was relieved to see him go.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Kearns, Pena, EdE.

Degenerate39
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Kearns, Pena, EdE.

Agreed + D'Angelo Jimenez

chicoruiz
08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I hate to admit it, but I really thought Jeff Austin was a nice acquisition...

StillFunkyB
08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Adam Dunn.

I like the guy, but now I like him on the other team better.

oneupper
08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Big defender of EdE. Liked the Alex Gonzalez signing. Thought we gave too much for Rolen. Was big on Kearns, but soured on him before many here (wrong again?).

But then again, I thought Merv Rettenmund and Richie Scheinblum were fine additions at the time, so...

LoganBuck
08-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Agreed + D'Angelo Jimenez

I remember getting into giant arguments with people who were enamored with his VORP. I even got negged, for saying that you need to watch the game, to appreciate how he isn't that good.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Kearns, Pena, EdE.

Add those guys to my list too.

kaldaniels
08-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop with Hanigan...it just doesn't seem like its gonna happen...how'd he sneak up on us?

Brutus
08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I remember getting into giant arguments with people who were enamored with his VORP. I even got negged, for saying that you need to watch the game, to appreciate how he isn't that good.

VORP. That's so 2005.

:D

LoganBuck
08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
VORP. That's so 2005.

:D

We were all so young then, gas cost like $1.59, A 720p 36in Sony Grand Vega Tube TV Cost $2900.

Brutus
08-16-2010, 11:30 PM
We were all so young then, gas cost like $1.59, A 720p 36in Sony Grand Vega Tube TV Cost $2900.

And a gigabyte was such a big deal.

Mario-Rijo
08-17-2010, 01:22 AM

I was actually against acquiring him.

so, oops.

Exactly!

Let's see, wrong on players??? Nah! J/K Probably Belisle and Kearns are the 2 that I was sure would be better than they have turned out to be. Felipe and Edwin should have been better but only thru their own fault have they not IMO. They have the talent but neither has worked hard enough on their skills.

Not so much wrong on him because to me he was unknown and I didn't know what to expect but I hated Edinson Volquez and Danny Ray Herrera just for being dealt for Josh Hamilton. I do not root for opposing players who are former Reds once they are gone I look at them mostly as the opposition only. But Josh Hamilton it seems is the exception to that rule (well him and Eric Davis). I guess I'm a sucker for grace and talent. But I certainly didn't expect what we have gotten out of Volquez and although it tortures my soul every time I see Hammy in those Ranger blues/reds I think we did alright in that one.

The jury is still out on Juan Francisco, he along with Kearns could be my 2 biggest misses, but I doubt it.

nemesis
08-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Speaking of Steep...

Zack Stewart - AA - 22 Starts / 8-2 / 3.75 ERA / 1.38 WHIP - Last 13 / 6-1 / 2.84 ERA / 1.47 WHIP

EdE - Toronto - .765 OPS

Josh Roenicke - AAA - 3.60 ERA / 1.41 WHIP - MLB - 4.97 ERA / 1.74 WHIP

Ron Madden
08-17-2010, 04:02 AM
I was wrong about Edwin, I honestly believed he would improve his defense and could hit 25-35 HRs and 25-35 doubles per year.

I wanted to trade Arthur Rhodes before the 2010 season while he still had value that I thought would surely fade away.

At least I had enough faith in my beliefs to state them publicly here on RedsZone and enough guts to admit I was wrong. Beats laying in the weeds afraid to express my opinion for fear of being wrong.

Always Red
08-17-2010, 08:05 AM
And a gigabyte was such a big deal.

My first computer had a 40 MB hard drive. :eek:

nate
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Speaking of Steep...

Zack Stewart - AA - 22 Starts / 8-2 / 3.75 ERA / 1.38 WHIP - Last 13 / 6-1 / 2.84 ERA / 1.47 WHIP

EdE - Toronto - .765 OPS

Josh Roenicke - AAA - 3.60 ERA / 1.41 WHIP - MLB - 4.97 ERA / 1.74 WHIP

EE was also DFA by Toronto.

bucksfan2
08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Couple of young pitchers I was wrong on.

Luke Hudson - Bought into the Dano hype. Liked his stuff.

Jose Acevedo - Thought he would be a mainstay in the organization.

Chris Retisma - Thought he would be a #1 or #2 type starter.

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Kurt Stilwell over Barry Larkin.

Johnny Edwards over that hotshot Bench kid.

Duane Walker

Manny Sarmiento

Paul Moskau, Bruce Berenyi, Frank Pastore (I thought they were all going to be good) and I thought Mario Soto was going to be lousy.

Votto's power has surprised me. I thought he was going to be a Hal Morris clone.

RFS62
08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Johnny Edwards over that hotshot Bench kid.

Edwards was my first favorite player. He was already losing a lot of playing time to Don Pavletich once his hitting ability suddenly and inexplicably disappeared.

Once I saw Bench, after all the hype of his brief stint in the minor leagues, I knew it was game over for Johnny.

The player I thought was the real deal and turned out fairly average was Austin Kearns. Ever since King sat on him, he was never the same player.

Always Red
08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Duane Walker

Yes, I missed on Duane Walker, too. He hit 2 HR in a game off of Nolan Ryan early on, had a beautiful swing, and I thought the kid was bound for Cooperstown.

Paul Householder

Gary Redus

OldRightHander
08-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Put me down for Wily Mo as well.

TRF
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM
EE was also DFA by Toronto.

And brought back less than 2 weeks later. It was an odd move. He's so streaky, but this year in 250 AB's he has 13 HR's and 16 2B's.

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Couple of young pitchers I was wrong on.

Luke Hudson - Bought into the Dano hype. Liked his stuff.

Jose Acevedo - Thought he would be a mainstay in the organization.

Chris Retisma - Thought he would be a #1 or #2 type starter.

Well Reits got us Jung Bong!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bongju01.shtml

dfs
08-17-2010, 10:08 AM
.......I can look at the current roster and admit to a ton of mistakes.

Scott Rolen. I was not in favor of that deal. He wasn't going to take the field for more than 100 games.
Cordero. Way too much money for such a limited role.
Gomes. I felt they should have signed him right away. Instead they waited and got a bargain.
Arthur Rhodes....too much money.
Ramon....I knew they had to get rid of Freel, but why take on somebody else's White Elephant?

The way Walt handled all those deals/signings worked out way better than I thought they would.

I never thought Brandon Phillips had a season this good in him.

For what it's worth, at the time I didn't believe Joe Morgan would ever be anywhere near as valuable as Lee May, so ...I started early.

OesterPoster
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Um, apparently Lance McAlister is lurking around here...

The guys we were wrong about
Last night on Sports Talk I mentioned that it's a good thing Walt Jocketty didn't listen to the fans wishes to get rid of Miguel Cairo and Nick Masset earlier this season. I called those players the two biggest misses by fans in a while. I was reading one of my favorite sites, RedsZone.com, this morning and saw a posting about "players we were wrong about".
What players the Reds have traded for/signed have you been wrong about over the years?
Wrong because the player was better/worse than you thought they'd be.
I remember being a big fan of the aquisition of Rheal Cormier. What a stiff he turned out to be.

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 10:34 AM
For me, it was Gary Redus by far. I thought he was going to be an absolute MONSTER. Oopsie.

Cedric
08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Um, apparently Lance McAlister is lurking around here...

He used to post somewhat frequently...

puca
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, I missed on Duane Walker, too. He hit 2 HR in a game off of Nolan Ryan early on, had a beautiful swing, and I thought the kid was bound for Cooperstown.

Paul Householder

Gary Redus

I never bought into the Householder hype, but Gary Redus and then Kal Daniels. I thought both would be superstars.

I was very excited by Johnny Ruffin, Jack Armstrong, Bret Tomko and Mo Sanford.

I thought Willie Greene would be a cornerstone
I thought EE would develop
I thought Rolen was too old to help in 2010
I thought Arroyo would quickly wash out

There are so, so many more.

KittyDuran
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
For what it's worth, at the time I didn't believe Joe Morgan would ever be anywhere near as valuable as Lee May, so ...I started early. Put me down for this as well - which, of course, ages me! :eek:

KittyDuran
08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
One of the advantages of going to minor league games is that sometimes...sometimes you can get a feeling for certain ballpapers (either good or bad). I had strong feelings about EE during his stint at Dayton - loved his power but something was just not right, but I hoped that I would be proven wrong when he got to the majors. I'd say that I've been about 50/50 with the players I've seen coming through Dayton.

Chip R
08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Holy smokes! A Kitty Duran sighting!

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I was excited about Johnny Ruffin and John Roper! Heck, I was excited about Willie Greene

BuckeyeRedleg
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Rolando Roomes

thatcoolguy_22
08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Top of my head-

Scott Rolen
Felipe Lopez
Chris Denorfia (i bought the redzone hype machine :) )
Bronson Arroyo
Mike Cameron
Joey Votto
Erik Bedard (not acquiring counts... I think)
Stubbs/Heisey
Cairo
Cueto
Jose Guillen

VR
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Ken Griffey Jr.

BRM
08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Wayne K

When did Wayne take the field?

edabbs44
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
When did Wayne take the field?

Whoops, forgot the title just said players. My bad.

oneupper
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Wayne Krenchicki (who else!)

traderumor
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Rolando RoomesThat WAS BOOOOOOOO, not ROOOOOOMES :)

bucksfan
08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Acevedo - Always thought he was going to be a really strong SP.

Cairo - Was one of those "what's the point" guys to my uninformed mind.

TRF
08-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I was a big fan of Acevedo. I wonder how his recovery is coming.

GAC
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Joe Morgan. Really pee'd me off they traded away Lee May.

reds44
08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Edwin Encarnacion and Felipe Lopez would have to be at the top of my list.

Cedric
08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I was always fighting people over Acevado/Reitsma.. They were two I got right for once.

I was wrong big time on Arroyo/Cairo/Edwin.

Homer Bailey
08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Chris Stynes.

TRF
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
hooo yeah. Stynes and Nunnally. I was certain the Reds had fleeced KC.

One guy I thought was going to really make it was Elizardo. I thought his changeup was well above average, and that he just needed a little movement on his fastball.

It seems you can't teach "a little movement".

marcshoe
08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I thought Redus, WMP, and Felipe L. were all future stars. you really can't blame anybody for grasping at straws when Redus came up, though.

As for being wrong on Krenchiki, I contend that I was right and the whole of Major League Baseball was wrong!!! :p:

WVRedsFan
08-18-2010, 01:36 AM
So many. Joe Randa. Scotty H. Cairo. Kevin Mtchell. Ron Gant.

You just never know.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Two guys I missed badly on were Lance Davis and Jose Acevedo.

Davis had a strong run down the stretch in 2001 and I thought he'd be a decent #3 starter type for a few years, but he never even threw another pitch in the big leagues.

I thought Acevedo was going to be what Cueto has now become. I think I was grasping at anything though, as pitching starved as The Reds were back then. Looking back, there was nothing all that impressive about him. Love that hindsight.

guttle11
08-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Willie Green. Thought he was going to be a star after 1997. Whoops.

Ron Madden
08-18-2010, 03:09 AM
I can also remember a time that I had faith in guys like Harry Spilman and DT Cromer. :redface:

nemesis
08-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Ben Broussard and Reggie Jefferson....

Also Mo Sanford. When he struck out the SD side including Tony Gwynn in his debut, I though man we have something here. Tim Pugh was another who I though could be a workhorse.

edabbs44
08-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Ben Broussard and Reggie Jefferson....

Also Mo Sanford. When he struck out the SD side including Tony Gwynn in his debut, I though man we have something here. Tim Pugh was another who I though could be a workhorse.

Broussard is a good one. Thought he was going to mash.

membengal
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
First Red I can remember being "wrong" on? Seven-year-old membengal (then Cincy based) was positive Dan Driessan was a 10-year star in the making. Average, power, all of it.

Seven-year-old membengal was wrong.

edabbs44
08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Tomko was another one I thought would end up being legit.

yab1112
08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I bought an Austin Kearns rookie card from a vendor outside the stadium. It was framed on a little wooden plaque and everything. :(

vaticanplum
08-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Has Brandon Claussen been mentioned? I thought he was the real deal for a few minutes there.

Sea Ray
08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Admittedly he's not a player but how many of us will confess to being wrong about Dusty Baker?

Always Red
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
First Red I can remember being "wrong" on? Seven-year-old membengal (then Cincy based) was positive Dan Driessan was a 10-year star in the making. Average, power, all of it.

Seven-year-old membengal was wrong.

In Driessen's defense, he did turn out to be a pretty decent ballplayer, though not the star that the BRM hype machine (Sparky Anderson) predicted. He played for the Reds for 11 years, and had nearly 1500 hits in career, so he wasn't a total wash-out...

He was also the best defensive first basemen the Reds have had in my days of watching the Redlegs.

membengal
08-18-2010, 10:09 AM
In Driessen's defense, he did turn out to be a pretty decent ballplayer, though not the star that the BRM hype machine (Sparky Anderson) predicted. He played for the Reds for 11 years, and had nearly 1500 hits in career, so he wasn't a total wash-out...

He was also the best defensive first basemen the Reds have had in my days of watching the Redlegs.

All true. And yet, NOT what I was led to believe he would be and therefore expected him to be.

George Anderson
08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
All true. And yet, NOT what I was led to believe he would be and therefore expected him to be.

We were led to believe he would be better than the guy he replaced and that was hardly the case.

membengal
08-18-2010, 10:12 AM
We were led to believe he would be better than the guy he replaced and that was hardly the case.

Indeed.

Always Red
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM

You are right about that!

Do the Reds win any more WS with Tony Perez still at 1B? Maybe, as Seaver joined the team in 1977...though the difference between '76 and '77 was that the pitching gave up 100 more runs in 1977.

Chip R
08-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Well, to be better than a Hall of Famer would have taken some doing.

WVRed
08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Admittedly he's not a player but how many of us will confess to being wrong about Dusty Baker?

This x 1000

Although I will say that Baker has been successful IMO with the staff surrounding him. Brian Price has been a Mike Zimmer type of coach for us this season.

As for players, Russ Branyan. I thought we got a steal from Cleveland.

Caveat Emperor
08-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Has Brandon Claussen been mentioned? I thought he was the real deal for a few minutes there.

Claussen probably qualifies more as the "boy, I wish that guy had been better" for me -- I don't think I ever had an opinion formed on him.

He falls into the Ryan Dempster column -- players the Reds acquired that weren't at all what I was hoping they'd be.

Homer Bailey
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM

I stand by anything I ever said about Dusty. With a team as talented as this one, he's a great manager. For teams that are flawed, like the Reds were when he was signed, I think he has no idea how to manage a lineup card. The less bad players he has on a roster, the less "Dusty" decisions he makes.

It still took him a month to figure out the lineup needed to be changed (well, 2 years and 1 month), but now, it's a pretty easy lineup to be filled out.

The human part of the game I have never criticized him for, except when he manages a players ego vs. managing the game.

bucksfan2
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Felipe Lopez - It must be a SS (Larkin was my favorite player growing up) thing but I thought he would be a very good SS in Cincy for a long period of time. I still would like to have him as a utility player but man his defense is brutal.

Chris Stynes - Thought he should have been given a chance to be an every day player.

Jose Guillen - Thought the Reds should have done more to build around him. He put up a monster year in 03. Too bad he was a first class head case.

Micah Owings - Was excited to see the Reds got him in the Dunn trade. Thought he could be a #3-#4 type starter with a great bat. Never really panned out as a Red.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Nobody needs to apologize about Cairo. We aren't "wrong" yet. It's only 156 at bats. It wouldn't surprise me if he finished the year 4 for 40 and regressed to his measly mean.

There are plenty of guys with substantial track records that I've been proven wrong about:

Major Disappointments
Broussard
Kearns
Bruce

Pleasant Surprises
Josh Hamilton (thought he'd be out of baseball and on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew by now)
Votto (saw him in one of his first pro games in rookie ball and followed him closely; liked him but never projected an MVP-caliber player; would have been happy with Sean Casey II)
Homer Bailey (he may turn out to be a major-league average pitcher, which is more than I thought he'd be; His last 30 major league starts have been better-than-awful)
Francisco Cordero (favorite whipping boy here and overpaid, but one of baseball's most productive closers over the last few years)

bucksfan2
08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Nobody needs to apologize about Cairo. We aren't "wrong" yet. It's only 156 at bats. It wouldn't surprise me if he finished the year 4 for 40 and regressed to his measly mean.

Even if Cairo goes 4-40 I will still admit that his signing was a very shrewd signing. The reality is Cairo has already proven to be much more valuable than the contract he signed in the spring. He won't get as many reps anymore due to Rolen getting more reps down the stretch drive and Edmonds taking over for Votto at 1b if needed.

Sea Ray
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM

So far you're wrong on him. If he goes 4 for 40 then you can beat your chest but by predicting his regresson to the mean, you just set yourself up to be wrong again. This isn't a thread on predicting the future. It's on who we've been wrong about up to this point.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
So far you're wrong on him. If he goes 4 for 40 then you can beat your chest but by predicting his regresson to the mean, you just set yourself up to be wrong again. This isn't a thread on predicting the future. It's on who we've been wrong about up to this point.

If Dusty Baker steals home with the Reds down two outs in the 9th inning and it works, was it a good move?

After 3500 career at bats, we know what Miguel Cairo is. A guy with poor on base skills and no remarkable power. He wasn't the best use of the Reds' roster spot, the Reds have merely been very lucky with his results.