PDA

View Full Version : What is your most memorable walkoff win during the 90s?

rolenmvp
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
I figured we could have alittle fun. what is your most memorable walkoff win during the 90s. mine had to be the willie greene grandslam against the cardinals with 2 outs, we were down like 12-9 with 2 outs and he belts it down the right field foul pole for the game winner. that place went crazy.

arkimadee
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Pokey Reese homer in 1999 to beat the Cardinals and put the Reds in first

zacharync
08-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Hard to beat that.

Mine isn't in the 90's but in 2003. I lived quite far from Cinci so it was always a treat to make it there to see a game.

Anyway, I was at a game between the Reds and Brewers and it went into extras. Bottom of the 10th and we were down one run. Larkin gets on base and Jose Guillen follows with a huge walk off shot out to center I think. GABP went crazy. Really fond memory. It was extra special for me because at that time I was a big fan of Guillen. He had recently spent some time playing for AAA Durham (where I lived) and I enjoyed watching him throw guys out regularly.

Ahh, the young Jose Guillen before his personality disorder started to get the best of him!

rolenmvp
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Pokey Reese homer in 1999 to beat the Cardinals and put the Reds in first

wasn't that game in extra innings? I believe it was a businessday special game too.

DocRed
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Any vids?

sivman17
08-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Chris Stynes in the 12th inning, 1999. Once they announced that Stynes was pinch hitting my Dad said "Why would they put Stynes in here? He hasn't done anything lately." He then proceeded to walk off.

gilpdawg
08-18-2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199605070.shtml

Reds down by 1 going into the bottom of the 12th. Eric Anthony and Eric Davis go back to back to win the game. Marty almost had a stroke.

texasdave
08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Joe Oliver singles off Dennis Eckersley to drive in Billy Bates to win Game Two of the 1990 World Series. YES!

Girevik
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Joe Oliver singles off Dennis Eckersley to drive in Billy Bates to win Game Two of the 1990 World Series. YES!

Hard to argue with that one!!

I wish I could remember more of the details, but I was at a game when Kearns hit a walk off HR. I think it's the only one I've seen in person and the thing that makes it so cool was that the Reds were down a run going into the 9th and the friend I was with said going into the bottom of the inning that the leadoff guy was going to get a hit and Kearns was going to hit one out. Sure enough.....

Caveman Techie
08-18-2010, 08:48 AM
April 16th 1999, Reds vs Pirates. (I think that is the date)

It was the first game of the year I had been able to make it to, and it was my wife's first game ever. She grew up in Germany and didn't really know anything about baseball. Throughout the whole game I could tell she was pretty miserable, it was cold and sprinkling rain off and on all night. But in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded and the Reds down by 1, Hal Morris came up to the plate. The stadium was rocking for only having 20K there, and Hal delivered with a two rbi double to win the game. Just that few minutes of excitement were enough to hook my wife on baseball. Because of that game I have been able to spend many a game at the ballpark with the family just soaking it up.

bigredmechanism
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone remember Eddie Taubensee hitting a homer off the Braves in the 10th inning? Me and my dad were going BONKERS as it happened. Right before it, my pops is saying "Aww this taubensee guy is crap he can't do anything." The second he hits it, he's all "Eddie Taubensee! I told you that guy is good! I told you!"

Good times.

arkimadee
08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
wasn't that game in extra innings? I believe it was a businessday special game too.
i believe it was on a sunday

Billy Bates
08-18-2010, 11:20 AM

I second this :beerme:

swaisuc
08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Anyone remember Eddie Taubensee hitting a homer off the Braves in the 10th inning? Me and my dad were going BONKERS as it happened. Right before it, my pops is saying "Aww this taubensee guy is crap he can't do anything." The second he hits it, he's all "Eddie Taubensee! I told you that guy is good! I told you!"

Good times.

Not sure if this is the game you mean because it wasn't technically a walkoff, but I went to a Reds/Braves game in 95 where the Reds were down 8-4 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and got a 3-run PH homer by Eric Anthony and then got a guy on and Eddie Taubensee followed it up with a PH 2-run homer.

As a side note, some or all (can't remember) of those runs came off Mark Wholers during his best season.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

That be the one!

ARRRGHHH!

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
WP: Rob Dibble (1–0) LP: Dennis Eckersley (0–1)
HRs: OAK – José Canseco (1)

Eventual Cy Young award winner Bob Welch opposed postseason veteran Danny Jackson in Game 2. Rickey Henderson manufactured a run for the A's in the first by getting a hit, stealing second, getting sacrificed to third, and scoring on a groundout. The Reds came right back in the bottom of the first. Barry Larkin and Billy Hatcher hit consecutive opposite field doubles and Hatcher would score on Davis's groundout.

In the third the A's got the lead back. José Canseco hit a rocket into the right-center field stands to tie the game (his only hit of the series). A base hit by Mark McGwire and two walks followed, knocking Jackson out of the game. With the bases loaded, Ron Hassey hit a sac fly and Mike Gallego singled to center to give the A's a 4–2 lead.
The A's, however, would not score anymore runs thanks to the relief pitching of All-Star game starter Jack Armstrong and the threesome nicknamed the "Nasty Boys" which included Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton, and Randy Myers.

The Reds got a run closer at 4–3 run on pinch hitter Ron Oester's RBI single that drove in Joe Oliver in the fourth. The Reds tied it in the eighth when Hatcher tripled over the crippled Canseco (who was suffering from back spasms throughout the playoffs) and scored on a force play.

During Game 2, Reds pitcher Tom Browning's pregnant wife Debbie went into labor during the game. Debbie left her seat in the fifth inning to drive herself to the hospital. As the game went on, the Reds wanted Browning ready to pitch just in case the game went well into extra innings. Thinking that Browning was en route to a nearby hospital, the Reds had their radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman put out an All Points Bulletin on Browning, a bulletin that was picked up by Tim McCarver on CBS television, who passed it along in the ninth inning.

In the tenth, the Reds broke through to win the game off A's closer Dennis Eckersley. Utilityman Billy Bates chopped an infield single off home plate to start the inning. Chris Sabo singled to left to put runners on first and second. Then Oliver, hit a bouncer that hopped over third base and down the line to drive in Bates with the winning run.

This was the last of five World Series to be played at Riverfront Stadium (1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, and 1990).

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
What a list?!

The most walk-off homeruns in Major League History:

All Tied with 12:

Jim Thome (got his 12th last night against the White Sox)
Jimmie Foxx
Mickey Mantle
Stan Musial
Frank Robinson
Babe Ruth

A Who's-Who of the best of the best.

In a steroid era (pitchers using steroids, too), Thome's done it without using the juice. He should be a first ballot HOF. Arod and Bonds shouldn't get a single vote.

Billy Bates
08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Bates came over from Milwaukee along with Braggs during the midseason trade. His only hit as a Red

gedred69
08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
To quote Charlie Jones on that October night, "And that ball is Fair!And Cincinnati is ahead two games to none!

I still pull out that old highlight VCR once in a while to experience the chills all over again.

gilpdawg
08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
To quote Charlie Jones on that October night, "And that ball is Fair!And Cincinnati is ahead two games to none!

I still pull out that old highlight VCR once in a while to experience the chills all over again.

Wasn't it Jack Buck and McCarver? Or are you talking about national radio?