PDA

View Full Version : Monday August 16th Minor League updates

nemesis
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Dayton is tied up 4-4 in the 3rd thanks to LaMarre's 4th HR (3 run shot)...
Johnson got the start and is struggling.

Carolina is up 2-0 in the 4th. Cochran on the hill. Negron 2-2.

Lynchburg down 1-0 in the 4th. No hits or walks yet. Partch 5 K in 3 IP.

DSL Reds won again 5-4. Bueno, a 17yr old switch hitting SS, now OPSing .758....

Scrap Irony
08-16-2010, 09:50 PM
LaMarre's been solid since he's signed. His obp is extremely high and his power should show up big-time next season, as his wrist should be much stronger next season. I'm hoping he can play a legitimate CF, as his scouting report suggests.

Could be a serious sleeper in AA next season ready for the bigs by 2012. With Sappelt, Heisey, Stubbs, and Yorman, CF could be the deepest spot in the Cincinnati pipeline.

GOYA
08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Carolina is up 3-0 after 5.

Cochran is pitching very well.

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Cochran 5.0 2 0 0 1 3 0 2.82

mace
08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
LaMarre's been solid since he's signed. His obp is extremely high and his power should show up big-time next season, as his wrist should be much stronger next season. I'm hoping he can play a legitimate CF, as his scouting report suggests.

Could be a serious sleeper in AA next season ready for the bigs by 2012. With Sappelt, Heisey, Stubbs, and Yorman, CF could be the deepest spot in the Cincinnati pipeline.

Don't disagree with any of this . . . but I do recall the board thinking much the same way about Fellhauer around this time last year. That said, LaMarre seems to have more speed and pop than Fellhauer, and his best asset is supposed to be his makeup.

mace
08-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Not out of character, Sean Henry (two hits so far tonight) has had perhaps the quietest .296 season in the organization.

mace
08-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Yorman's back in the lineup tonight for Billings. The Mustangs scored 5 runs in the first--on 3 singles and no walks.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-16-2010, 10:46 PM
This organization is so deep right now a guy like Henry's future here is nothing but as a journeyman/roster filler.

Superdude
08-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Duran jacks homer #6. The strikeouts are still a little excessive, but he's been on fire recently. I can't wait to see where these 17-18 year old kids are at in 2-3 years. SO much talent down there

corkedbat
08-16-2010, 11:58 PM

There's Felix Perez also.

mace
08-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Billings won 9-1. In addition to Duran's HR, Slidin' Billy was 3 for 4 and is now hitting .340. Yorman was 2 for 5 in his return from the DL. Daniel Tuttle walked 6 in 4.1 innings, but Patrick Doyle and Kevin Arico (down from Dayton) combined for 4.2 scoreless.

JaxRed
08-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Dayton is tied up 4-4 in the 3rd thanks to LaMarre's 4th HR (3 run shot)...

DSL Reds won again 5-4. Bueno, a 17yr old switch hitting SS, now OPSing .758....

I've heard Bueno is good.

cinreds21
08-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Mudcats won 3-2. Former top prospect Andrew Miller dropped to 1-8 for the Suns with a 6.01 ERA

mace
08-17-2010, 01:09 AM

Yes it is.

JaxRed
08-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Yes it is.

I tried to stop myself...... I couldn't

mace
08-17-2010, 01:12 AM
An impressive start tonight for Kyle Lotzkar: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 8 K. His stuff must be back.

The AZL Reds lead 6-1 in the 7th. Torreyes has two hits. (Cut and pasted from last night and night before and . . . ) David Vidal has three. Robert Maddox has a HR. Waldrop is 0 for 4.

mace
08-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I tried to stop myself...... I couldn't

You were just waiting to see if somebody picked up on that, weren't you?

mace
08-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Dayton lost 11-10 in 11. Poor Dayton.

Gotta feel sorry for the girl with the Dragon tattoo.

JaxRed
08-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Went to all 5 games of Mudcats series..... some impressions: They have a lot of solid professional position players. The pitching must be their downfall.

Impressive guys:
Klinker. Relaxed and in control.
I paid a bit more attention to Negron. He was better than I thought he would be. Decent power, nice D, good average.
Mesoraco - Went 4/4. Did not see him throw.
Freeman - Saw his 1 inning AA debut but thought he looked good

A little underwhelmed: Felix Perez, two different times I saw balls over his head where he got turned around. And with no power, he has to be really hitting. I was just expecting more.

Jose Castro - No power (O homers) and a low BA and low OBP. Fills no squares for me.

Chris McMurray looks totally overmatched.

Carlos Mendez - A corner infielder with no power and only fair defense.

cinreds21
08-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Pretty accurate assessment.

mace
08-17-2010, 01:36 AM
With Grandal, Torreyes and Waldrop all joining the AZL Reds within the space of a week, that club has quickly become very, very interesting. Not to mention Arias, Diaz, Vidal, Guillon, Correa, Clarke, Quezada, Amezcua, Mugarian, Muhammad and Lotzkar, among others.

corkedbat
08-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Another good haul next year and the mid-levels of the Reds system are going to starting filling out nicely soon.

11larkin11
08-17-2010, 03:26 AM
With Grandal, Torreyes and Waldrop all joining the AZL Reds within the space of a week, that club has quickly become very, very interesting. Not to mention Arias, Diaz, Vidal, Guillon, Correa, Clarke, Quezada, Amezcua, Mugarian, Muhammad and Lotzkar, among others.

Grandal will only be there 4 or 5 games.

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 09:41 AM

He walked the ball back to the pitcher after every pitch? :cool:

JaxRed
08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Even worse was when he raced a runner to second on steal attempt.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
He must be fast if hes "running them out" at 45% rate.

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 11:26 AM
He must be fast if hes "running them out" at 45% rate.

The first baseman has a pretty high "trip" rate. Top 3 in the league IIRC.

puca
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Is his first name Muy by any chance? That would make him very good.

muddie
08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Went to all 5 games of Mudcats series..... some impressions: They have a lot of solid professional position players. The pitching must be their downfall.

Impressive guys:
Klinker. Relaxed and in control.
I paid a bit more attention to Negron. He was better than I thought he would be. Decent power, nice D, good average.
Freeman - Saw his 1 inning AA debut but thought he looked good

A little underwhelmed: Felix Perez, two different times I saw balls over his head where he got turned around. And with no power, he has to be really hitting. I was just expecting more.

Jose Castro - No power (O homers) and a low BA and low OBP. Fills no squares for me.

Chris McMurray looks totally overmatched.

Carlos Mendez - A corner infielder with no power and only fair defense.

Good you could see the entire series. So, you witnessed a no hitter!

Klinker is a Triple A pitcher on borrowed time in AA.

I think Freeman is going to be pretty good and believe he's been under the radar in Lynchburg because of Joseph. Since we saw him pitch I've sort of kept an eye on him and I like what he's doing. He was pretty much Joseph's set up man in Lynchburg.

When Jose Castro, Dave Sappelt, and Jake Kahaulelio stride to the plate you almost think you're at a mighty might's game. In spite of that, Jake and Sappelt have been impressive this year.

mace
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I think Freeman is going to be pretty good and believe he's been under the radar in Lynchburg because of Joseph. Since we saw him pitch I've sort of kept an eye on him and I like what he's doing. He was pretty much Joseph's set up man in Lynchburg.

Justin Freeman might be interesting. He always had a good K/BB ratio, but the rest of his numbers didn't translate. Now, for at least a couple months, he's been genuinely outstanding. Something must have clicked.

JaxRed
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Muddie, what have you thought about Perez?

muddie
08-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Muddie, what have you thought about Perez?

I like the guy. I do like to see him swing the bat, I think he has a nice stroke. Defensively, he's OK. I haven't seeen him since he came of the DL. I'd like him more if he were two or three years younger at this point. I may have an opportunity to get to the game tonight if I can move my work hours a little bit.

Your observation of Kris Negron this weekend was on the money. Apparently the Southern League saw what you saw. He was recognized as the Batter of the Week in the SL for the week August 9-15. That was pretty much the Jacksonville series.

Lynchburg's Josh Ravin was recognized as the Pitcher of the Week in the Carolina League for the same period.

cinreds21
08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll be at the game tonight!