PDA

View Full Version : Izzy to the minor-league DL...

Redsfan320
08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
According to Ramsey, says Fanball.com. From the Sun Deck:

The News
According to Jamie Ramsey of MLB.com, Jason Isringhausen has been placed on the minor league disabled list with Triple-A Louisville due to a strained right elbow.

Our View*
Isringhausen has a history of elbow issues, and this could be the the final straw. He allowed six earned runs and walked seven through 5.2 innings with the minor league club.

*Note from editor: This would be fanball's view, not the Sun Deck poster's view.

Joseph
08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Things have a way of sorting themselves out. This appears to be the case. Ondrusek and Smith who both 'deserve' [I use that term loosely] their jobs don't lose them now.

RedsManRick
08-16-2010, 11:49 PM
So, is it safe to say Izzy and Springer were available for a reason?

guttle11
08-16-2010, 11:57 PM
So, is it safe to say Izzy and Springer were available for a reason?

The beauty of minor league deals. They came, they saw, they got hurt again. All it really cost was a couple hundred thousand, peanuts in MLB.

corkedbat
08-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Springer and Izzy were signed to bolster our DL's? Shrewd! :thumbup:

Reds Fanatic
08-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Based on his good workout it was worth a shot too bad it did not work out. So basically Chapman is the only player the Reds will have to bring up before the 31st to have them eligible for the postseason.

SirFelixCat
08-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Based on his good workout it was worth a shot too bad it did not work out. So basically Chapman is the only player the Reds will have to bring up before the 31st to have them eligible for the postseason.

Pitching-wise, yes. Well, obviously Wood, but he's coming up this week anyway. But I do wonder if they bring up 'Cisco as well. The kid would be nice to have on the bench, potentially.

Mario-Rijo
08-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Springer and Izzy were signed to bolster our DL's? Shrewd! :thumbup:

Good one!

But serious question here Walt and company signed these 2 for their experience, does he still feel like we need it, could we still go and get a guy? How about re-visiting the idea of dealing for Marmol or Downs or the like? I don't suppose they could pass thru waivers and maybe they already haven't but how will Walt address this lack of experience moving forward? Did he just make one gigantic error by not dealing for an arm prior to the deadline?

NDRed
08-17-2010, 03:29 AM
If I remember right the Marmol to the Reds was written on a baseball blog.

Marmol has to be just about untouchable on a really bad Cubs team. It's not like they have to, or he would help them, cut payroll. You have to give the fans something to look forward to. A lights out closer with two K's per inning is at least a starting point.

The Cubs are really bad; huge payroll, have a lame duck manager, major changes coming, and to trade their best young player.

Not ever the Chicago Cubs are that Stupid.

Slyder
08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
The only pieces you could probably get from the sCrubs right now are Soriano and Zambrano. They arent going to trade Marmol right now casue that be like us falling apart next year (hypothetically) and trading Votto.

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
The beauty of minor league deals. They came, they saw, they got hurt again. All it really cost was a couple hundred thousand, peanuts in MLB.

I wouldn't mind if MLB tossed a few peanuts my way. :D

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Pitching-wise, yes. Well, obviously Wood, but he's coming up this week anyway. But I do wonder if they bring up 'Cisco as well. The kid would be nice to have on the bench, potentially.

You don't think they'll bring up Yonder? I sure do.

IslandRed
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Good one!

But serious question here Walt and company signed these 2 for their experience, does he still feel like we need it, could we still go and get a guy? How about re-visiting the idea of dealing for Marmol or Downs or the like? I don't suppose they could pass thru waivers and maybe they already haven't but how will Walt address this lack of experience moving forward? Did he just make one gigantic error by not dealing for an arm prior to the deadline?

The bullpen has gotten a lot better as the year has gone on. Much different than back when everyone but Rhodes was getting bombed. Rhodes is solid, Masset's back in form, Ondrusek has been excellent, Smith has been good, Chapman's on the way... Unless Jocketty shocks us with a big move for a closer, I just don't see a bullpen trade coming. Could be wrong, of course.

IslandRed
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
You don't think they'll bring up Yonder? I sure do.

In September, sure, but I'm not sure where he fits on the 25-man before then.

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
In September, sure, but I'm not sure where he fits on the 25-man before then.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I don't see them bringing up anyone besides pitchers prior to September.

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Strained elbow is bad news for someone coming off Tommy John surgery.

membengal
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Did anyone else see the tweet about Izzy springing for a riverboat cruise for the Bats and their families on L'ville's recent off-day?

Stand-up stuff from a pro.

redsmetz
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Issringhausen is invited to spring training next year, particularly if Rhodes does not return. I'm not saying he necessarily makes the club, but I think there's a good chance he comes to camp trying to make the club.