PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper

Brutus
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
In the first bit of possible news tonight, Jeff Fletcher of AOL tweets Harper, "will sign" at least according to his former college head coach Tom Chambers, who is now the head man at UNLV.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Signed and reportedly for $10 Million.

blumj
08-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Major league deal for a 17 year old. They'll get the extra option, but still.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Signed and reportedly for $10 Million.

Yep. To a Major League contract. Because of his age, he's going to get 4 option years instead of 3.

Z-Fly
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Major league deal for a 17 year old. They'll get the extra option, but still.

It seems like the major league deal hurts both sides. Willy Mo comes to mind. I wonder what would have happened if he had an extra few years in the minors.

puca
08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Report is the Nationals are moving him from behind the plate to right field.

Is this because of the major league deal or that he doesn't project as a catcher? It would be a shame for everyone involved if it is soley because of the contract.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Report is the Nationals are moving him from behind the plate to right field.

Is this because of the major league deal or that he doesn't project as a catcher? It would be a shame for everyone involved if it is soley because of the contract.

This was decided before the draft. They basically drafted him as an outfielder. It was done believing he would be best-suited for the outfield long-term.

TheBigLebowski
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I think moving him to the OF is the right call. He's a once-in-a-generation talent, and having him catch would probably shorten his career.

berryluther
08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
The timetable and learning curve for catchers are vastly different than that of an outfielder.

puca
08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I think moving him to the OF is the right call. He's a once-in-a-generation talent, and having him catch would probably shorten his career.

So why was he catching in Juco?

Brutus
08-17-2010, 01:15 PM
So why was he catching in Juco?

College and high school teams do what's best for them, or what they think is best for the player. It doesn't always align with what Major League teams intend to do.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
He also wants to catch.

Hoosier Red
08-17-2010, 02:37 PM
As far as "once in a lifetime talent" isn't some of that diminished by playing outfield?

I mean as far as everything I had read, he has a great bat, but it was the combination of great bat + he can legitimately be a top level defensive catcher that made him "once in a lifetime."

puca
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
College and high school teams do what's best for them, or what they think is best for the player. It doesn't always align with what Major League teams intend to do.

Except Bryce Harper could have chosen any Juco he wanted. I'm sure one of the reasons he went where he did was because he would be allowed to catch. I'm guessing Bryce still would rather catch than switch to OF, but the Nats are hedging their bet.

Less chance of injury means a better chance he will have 4 full years for his bat to develop. Less to learn defensively means he can focus on hitting. Like I said it is a shame if this major league deal ends up working against him.

I don't know where his mind is, but I suspect he is much less likely to make the majors as a catcher because of the major league deal.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Except Bryce Harper could have chosen any Juco he wanted. I'm sure one of the reasons he went where he did was because he would be allowed to catch. I'm guessing Bryce still would rather catch than switch to OF, but the Nats are hedging their bet.

Less chance of injury means a better chance he will have 4 full years for his bat to develop. Less to learn defensively means he can focus on hitting. Like I said it is a shame if this major league deal ends up working against him.

I don't know where his mind is, but I suspect he is much less likely to make the majors as a catcher because of the major league deal.

He went there because they were A) in a wooden bat league, B) were a good team against good competition and C) his brother was already there playing.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I think his brother transferred there as a part of the whole I'm dropping out early thing

dougdirt
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I think his brother transferred there as a part of the whole I'm dropping out early thing

Nope. His brother was already playing there.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/48018907.html

Bryan Harper, Bryce's brother, is transferring from Cal State Northridge to play for the Coyotes next season, so Bryce will have a strong support group at CSN. Bryan is a 6-5 left-handed pitcher.

Not according to this.

dougdirt
08-17-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/48018907.html

Not according to this.

Well, when you cook my crow, can I at least get a little spice sprinkled on top of it to give it some flavor?

GIDP
08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Ill just donate it to a homeless shelter in your name.