PDA

View Full Version : SI: Posnanski on Stan Musial

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
I read this a couple weeks ago and meant to post it then. But then all the hoo-hah happened with the Cardinals and I was afraid it would get lost in the chaos...

Anyhow, a brilliantly-written where-is-he-now on Stan Musial. We are blessed with having Stan Musial around and lucky for Posnanski and his writings. he really is the best sportswriter in existence right now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172566/index.htm

reds1869
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for posting. Posnanski is everything a writer should be. If you haven't read The Machine I highly encourage you to do so.

bigredmachine1976
08-17-2010, 09:29 AM
That was an excellent piece about an excellent human being. I made both my sons read it and convinced my wife to read it as well.

Always Red
08-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Stan Musial is a great man, in every way that greatness can be measured.

RFS62
08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Fantastic piece.

Thanks Roy.

Johnny Footstool
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
From the article:

"Stan Musial," his teammate Bob Gibson says, "is the nicest man I ever met in baseball." Gibson smiles. "And, to be honest, I can't relate to that. I never knew that nice and baseball went together."

Smiles!

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
They hold a citywide campaign—Stand for Stan!—to encourage President Obama to award Musial the Presidential Medal of Freedom, something like an American knighthood, a medal that has already been given to Musial contemporaries Aaron, Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Frank Robinson. Fans are encouraged to have their photos taken with a paper Flat Stan the Man, a play off the children's book, Flat Stanley.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stl/fan_forum/standforstan_index.jsp

cumberlandreds
08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Great article! Thanks for posting!
Musial is such a great man! He is the most underated superstar since WWII. You almost never hear his name in a discussion of all time great players. Which is a real shame. But as great a ballplayer as he was. He's an even better human being. MLB should be honoring him every chance they get as a great example to all.