PDA

View Full Version : Barret Loux

TheBigLebowski
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/barret-loux-to-be-granted-free-agency.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

'Backs let him go to FA after physical revealed tear in labrum.

He was a RH SP from Texas A&M. I saw him pitch twice....was very impressed.

Anyone think there is even a small chance we take a flier?

Gallen5862
08-17-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?cat=11

Diamondbacks Set Loux Free

Posted Aug. 17, 2010 11:10 am by John Manuel
Filed under: Signings

The statement reads:

“We have reached an agreement regarding Barret Loux’s status that is mutually beneficial to the parties. Today Commissioner Selig has announced that Loux will become a free agent on September 1. As such, he will be free to sign with any Major League Club at that time. In addition, the Arizona Diamondbacks will receive a Supplemental Selection in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
This seems like a weird thing to have happen.

Gallen5862
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Should the Reds try to sign Barret Loux when he becomes a free agent on September 1? The Reds could sign him to a minor league deal and put him on the minor league DL?

RedLegsToday
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Does anyone even know why he failed the physical?

GIDP
08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Did you miss the first post somehow? lol

It says labrum tear.

RedLegsToday
08-17-2010, 12:52 PM
yes, somehow I skimmed over the first post without seeing the labrum tear. I tore my labrum around the same age as Loux. Had it scoped. Twenty years later my shoulder still hurts.

LoganBuck
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
My rule on pitchers: Stay away from ALL pitchers with labrum tears.

puca
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
My rule on pitchers: Stay away from ALL pitchers with labrum tears.

I'm guessing that Cardinal fans are pretty glad Jocketty didn't have that rule.

PuffyPig
08-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm guessing that Cardinal fans are pretty glad Jocketty didn't have that rule.

I love posts like this.....

puca
08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
I love posts like this.....

And I love posts like this because they add so much to the discussion

I'm sensing major sarcasm so let me rephrase.

Chris Carpenter had a torn labrum. He turned out very well.

I admit though that Carpenter is the exception rather than the rule. Not many pitchers make it back after that injury.

PuffyPig
08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
And I love posts like this because they add so much to the discussion

I'm sensing major sarcasm so let me rephrase.

Chris Carpenter had a torn labrum. He turned out very well.

I admit though that Carpenter is the exception rather than the rule. Not many pitchers make it back after that injury.

I actually loved your post. Really.

Joseph
08-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Isn't the claim that he pitched like this all year without knowing?

If so, is surgery really necessary?

TheBigLebowski
08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Isn't the claim that he pitched like this all year without knowing?

If so, is surgery really necessary?

Makes you wonder. I'm no doctor, but I'd think pitching with a torn labrum would probably catch up with one eventually.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:06 AM
If the Diamondbacks sign Barret do they get to keep the draft pick?

TheBigLebowski
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
If the Diamondbacks sign Barret do they get to keep the draft pick?

They get a compensatory pick next year - #7 overall, I believe...that I know for sure. Now, if they were to pick him up via free agency now that they've given up their rights to him, I have no idea. I would think they probably can't even try. Otherwise, stuff like this would probably happen all the time. Player still gets his buxxx and the team gets, essentially, a free comp pick. Interesting question.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
They get a compensatory pick next year - #7 overall, I believe...that I know for sure. Now, if they were to pick him up via free agency now that they've given up their rights to him, I have no idea. I would think they probably can't even try. Otherwise, stuff like this would probably happen all the time. Player still gets his buxxx and the team gets, essentially, a free comp pick. Interesting question.

Well a draft pick granted free agency doesnt happen that often either.

RED VAN HOT
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
He has also had bone chips in his elbow in the past. He is said to throw with a fluid motion, so it is hard to imagine that a change in delivery would cut down on the injuries. Nevertheless, at the right price, an extended strength and conditioning program before throwing again, and a lot of patience he could be interesting.

Topcat
08-19-2010, 05:06 AM
He has also had bone chips in his elbow in the past. He is said to throw with a fluid motion, so it is hard to imagine that a change in delivery would cut down on the injuries. Nevertheless, at the right price, an extended strength and conditioning program before throwing again, and a lot of patience he could be interesting.

Sounds like a Redsox or a Yankee project sadly :(