PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd

RANDY IN INDY
08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
This guy really has one for the Reds. What a pompous, opinionated, punk. Would love for him to interview Joey Votto and see Votto go all "Jim Everett" on the little pansy. Just another reason why ESPN is turning into a crappy network. And I thought I didn't like Jim Rome.

Mario-Rijo
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
This guy really has one for the Reds. What a pompous, opinionated, punk. Would love for him to interview Joey Votto and see Votto go all "Jim Everett" on the little pansy. Just another reason why ESPN is turning into a crappy network. And I thought I didn't like Jim Rome.

What did he say? I can imagine whatever it was it was lame, he is.

Unassisted
08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
He's been saying for weeks that the Reds are pretenders and due to fade. Controversy fuels talk radio listening and calling. Sounds like he's making you listen. ;)

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Don't hold back on us, Randy. Tell us how you really feel.

;)

BRM
08-17-2010, 01:42 PM
mlh1981 summed it up on the Sun Deck.

Listening to his radio show at the moment. Here's the basic premise behind his argument:

--we feast on bad teams in a weak division
--we drew a laughable interleague schedule
--we can't beat the elite teams
--Votto's peers don't think he's great. It's just us Reds fans that do

Brutus
08-17-2010, 01:42 PM
It seems in every sport, at least twice a season fans need to be reminded of Colin Cowherd's ultimate goal: get people fired up & talking.

I've said it before... he doesn't even believe half of what he says. It's his job to create controversy and get people talking about his show. It works like a charm, as fans routinely get upset with something he says. And here we are, another thread and he gets exactly what he wanted.

:cool:

membengal
08-17-2010, 01:46 PM
It's his latest attempt to draw angry e-mail that he likes to read and make fun of. He's truly an objectionable blowhard, and I do the only thing I can do, I refuse to ever listen to him. He was pantsed on his Votto bile back at the ASB by any expert he had on, so this is probably a continuation of his being embarrassed by his display that week.

He also hates the Bengals. And, not infrequently, tOSU, based on various angry threads I have seen on those boards over the years.

I think it's part of his shtik, and it is fairly contemptible, in my estimation...

RANDY IN INDY
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
The kind of kid you always loved to see being beat up on the playground. I had never listened to him until recently. Contemptible is a good description, membengal.

RichRed
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
It's his latest attempt to draw angry e-mail that he likes to read and make fun of. He's truly an objectionable blowhard, and I do the only thing I can do, I refuse to ever listen to him. He was pantsed on his Votto bile back at the ASB by any expert he had on, so this is probably a continuation of his being embarrassed by his display that week.

He also hates the Bengals. And, not infrequently, tOSU, based on various angry threads I have seen on those boards over the years.

I think it's part of his shtik, and it is fairly contemptible, in my estimation...

He really seems to have it in for the Midwest in general.

pedro
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I think there is a certain amount of truth to what he said, whether I like the way he delivers the message or not.

One thing he knows for sure is that Ohio sports fans are overly sensitive and there are a lot of them and he milks that action for all it's worth.

membengal
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
The kind of kid you always loved to see being beat up on the playground. I had never listened to him until recently. Contemptible is a good description, membengal.

I hesitate to admit this, because, well, I felt silly afterwards, but I came across his show while stuck in traffic back before the All-Star break, and actually yelled at the radio as he made his "Joey Votto is NOT a star" argument through his sneering officious tone as a reason why it was right that Votto was passed up for the All-Star team. I don't usually yell at inanimate objects...unless Coco is having one of his adventures and it is my television that is...

At any rate, it was a reminder why I never listen to him.

ochre
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I have visions of Cowherd sitting in front of a monitor googling "Cowherd Cincinnati Reds" right now just to see how much of a reaction he's getting.

:wave: Colin.

smith288
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Colins a good 6' 1 1/2" tall and 190lbs... Not exactly a dinky dude.

But Colin's show is a bore.

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
He doesn't know sports. Has to rely on these tactics to get listeners. Guys in his line of work know sports better. He is a weasal

westofyou
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
He's not a baseball fan from what I've heard him blather about, therefore I let his opinion slide off my back.

Talk radio is the suck 90% of the time

VR
08-17-2010, 02:09 PM
He's on my AM drive time. A couple buddies really enjoyed him 4-5 years ago, so I started listening occasionally. He had his moments of being really funny, and/or having really good guests on. Unfortunately, his ego has left the stratosphere...and he now makes a living off of outlandish comments and talking down the average sports fan, usually because "he's on the inside"

He uses watered down Socratorial style arguments of "if/then"....that make him look like a genius, until they don't, and then he passes them off like he never made them.

I will listen for a few minutes when the other stations are on commercial break. I caught the Reds hate this morning. It's not that he didn't bring up good points.....but rather how we fans were stupid "homer Cincinnati fan, get over yourself".

He laughed at NBA fans who thought OK City could win even 1 game against the Lakers....as any NBA insider like himself knew that the Lakers would sweep and win each game by 20.

He used a 3 second quote by Tom Verducci as his basis on Reds hating....yet ignored the endless quotes and stories by Verducci about how the Reds are serious contenders.

durl
08-17-2010, 02:22 PM
If it weren't for college football/basketball, I'd never turn ESPN on.

kbrake
08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I enjoy listening to Cowherd. I find him to be entertaining. I've never taken him serious though. He seems to know more about football but because its ESPN he's required to talk baseball and he just says whatever he can to get a reaction. Do not take him too serious folks he's there to entertain not to be an expert.

He's way off on Votto but some of his points about the team were valid and we all know it. This team has struggled against the top teams. However, I think they can and will do better against those teams. And when they do he just won't say a word about it.

bucksfan2
08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I used to enjoy Cowherd quite a bit. He talked about what he knew, and he is a big proponent of college football. In the recent years it seems like he has become more arrogant, more one sided, more I am right and I don't care what you thing. Over the past few seasons he has become a big time schill for the large market clubs. Outside of the large market sports don't exist to Colin.

I still do enjoy listening to him talk about college football and the NFL. He is a big time gambler and is very knowledgeable about football. He knows very little to nothing about baseball and outside of the Lakers his NBA knowledge is limited.

MartyFan
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Like a few others, I USED to like listening to Cowherd but really got turned off by him when he started being just another flavor of Jim Rome...Miss the old Sporting News Network that was out of Chicago.

IslandRed
08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Pretty much ditto the preceding comments -- I used to like him better, and he's far more informed on football than baseball.

Although I will admit that I've incorporated "that's a you problem" into my arsenal.

dunner13
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I think cowherd obviously exaggerates everything for ratings, but to be honest some of what he was saying is hard to argue with. He said that the reds will have a hard time winning in the playoffs because we have no ace. We have no one to match up with carpenter or halladay. And in a 5 game series where the phils throw halladay, oswalt and hamels we would have a hard time winning. If volquez can regain his control by the playoffs he could be an ace, cueto looks like hes going to be an ace someday but hes probably not going to be there by october, arroyos a very solid pitcher but no one has ever called him an ace and leake and wood are the future but both of them are more #2's then #1's.
I would have to say on paper he is probably right, thats why Jocketty made the effort to get lee at the deadline because we do not have an ace. I think we are still good enough to win the division and once your in the playoffs anything can happen but as of right now we do not have an ace.

Homer Bailey
08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Votto is also a Cards guy.

Also claimed that every single MLB GM would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.

Jpup
08-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Also claimed that every single MLB GM would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.

Most of them probably would if the money were even, right?

Homer Bailey
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Most of them probably would if the money were even, right?

Votto is 16 months younger, and has a much more projectable body type IMO.

I think it's incredibly ignorant to suggest that EVERY single GM would take Gonzo over Votto. At the very least, I would say it's 50/50.

Is wOBA park adjusted?

CrackerJack
08-17-2010, 06:24 PM
If it weren't for college football/basketball, I'd never turn ESPN on.

Ditto. And I no longer even subscribe to the cable tier that includes it here. I really don't even know who Cowherd is and I don't really care what he has to say about anything really.

steig
08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I think cowherd obviously exaggerates everything for ratings, but to be honest some of what he was saying is hard to argue with. He said that the reds will have a hard time winning in the playoffs because we have no ace. We have no one to match up with carpenter or halladay. And in a 5 game series where the phils throw halladay, oswalt and hamels we would have a hard time winning. If volquez can regain his control by the playoffs he could be an ace, cueto looks like hes going to be an ace someday but hes probably not going to be there by october, arroyos a very solid pitcher but no one has ever called him an ace and leake and wood are the future but both of them are more #2's then #1's.
I would have to say on paper he is probably right, thats why Jocketty made the effort to get lee at the deadline because we do not have an ace. I think we are still good enough to win the division and once your in the playoffs anything can happen but as of right now we do not have an ace.

I agree with what you are saying, and Cowherd also claimed that in the playoffs it was anybodies series in baseball. He was giving himself and out after claiming that the Reds had no ace and thus no chance in the playoffs.

I do find it good to listen to the opinions of others outside because I feel that we over value the players on the team we support. Is Votto better than Cowherd is giving him credit for, yes. But I would also probably be tempted to take Adrian Gonzolez over Votto if I had the chance.

Sea Ray
08-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I just think he's lazy. He only follows the big markets, makes fun of the small ones, thus he fits right in on ESPN

Homer Bailey
08-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Is Votto better than Cowherd is giving him credit for, yes. But I would also probably be tempted to take Adrian Gonzolez over Votto if I had the chance.

I'm not sure what Gonzalez has that Votto doesn't. Votto hits for a higher average, has MUCH more speed, is younger, and his body type suggests that it is highly likely that he will enjoy more sustained success over his career than Gonzalez.

Gonzalez is a great player, don't get me wrong. However, I can't think of a scenario in which I'd rather have him over Votto.

steig
08-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure what Gonzalez has that Votto doesn't. Votto hits for a higher average, has MUCH more speed, is younger, and his body type suggests that it is highly likely that he will enjoy more sustained success over his career than Gonzalez.

Gonzalez is a great player, don't get me wrong. However, I can't think of a scenario in which I'd rather have him over Votto.

For me it is a hard call, I would like to see the type of numbers that Gonzalez could put up in GABP. If I was a GM it would really just come down to money between these two players. If I could get one for less and keep money for pitching then that is the way I would go. At least that is how I approached my fantasy team.

Homer Bailey
08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
FWIW:

OPS+ (Which adjusts OPS for park factors)
Gonzalez: 152
Votto: 168 (Best in the NL)

deltachi8
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
He was right about the reds, wrong on Votto.

Edskin
08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I lost all respect for CC when he trashed Sean Taylor literally hours after he was shot/killed. Even if some of what he said had validity, it was extremely disrespectful and his timing could not have been worse. The fact that he was eventually proven wrong and issued a half-hearted "apology" made it worse.

I'm all for a sports talk host playing devil's advocate or trying to stir his audience a bit, but CC seems to sell his soul to do it, and I don't respect that one bit.

Joseph
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
The problem with Colin is not so much that he doesn't believe in the midwest or my teams, but its that he calls us all idiots for following the Reds and not being a Yanks/Sox fan. It's fine to have an opinion about a teams chances [even if we disagree] its that he has to call those who oppose his ideas a moron.

kbrake
08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I lost all respect for CC when he trashed Sean Taylor literally hours after he was shot/killed. Even if some of what he said had validity, it was extremely disrespectful and his timing could not have been worse. The fact that he was eventually proven wrong and issued a half-hearted "apology" made it worse.

I'm all for a sports talk host playing devil's advocate or trying to stir his audience a bit, but CC seems to sell his soul to do it, and I don't respect that one bit.

I still remember listening to him that day and I'm not a Redskins fan. I really like listening to Cowherd but I just sat it disbelief the day he talked about Taylor. I don't think that was a ratings thing though I really think he was just foolish and just not all that well thought out. Never heard his apology for it but that was just a bad bad day for Cowherd.

OldXOhio
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM

turning into one? does that mean you're just now coming to this conclusion?

Blimpie
08-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Regardless of how he may have recently offended some Reds fans, you can put me squarely in the camp of those who enjoys listening to Cowherd. Much like the old Tony Kornheiser radio show, most of what I find intruiging about Cowherd's conversations do not involve the Xs and Os of sports, per se.

He appears to be very savvy on topics surrounding the economic impacts and marketing strategies involved with the major sports--both of which are subjects that I find extremely interesting. When it comes to college football, he also offers a pretty unique perspective.

By the way, SportsNation is rapidly becoming one of my favorite shows on television. Granted, I have an unhealthy obsession with his co-host, Michelle Beadle....

But, I digress.

oregonred
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
When Cowherd had his morning show in Portland he used to make hay about how corporate ESPN was and what a sellout it would be to work for the network. Now, he's about the biggest network shill going.

WVRedsFan
08-18-2010, 02:16 AM
They guy reminds me of Andy Furman in the old days. Anything to get a rise out of the "faithful" listener. Or Tracy Jones. Like Dale Earnhardt told Jeff Gordon when he was Booed, "just worry when they don't react." Americans love controversity and guys like Cowherd and many others play on this. In radio, you must give the listener a reason to listen, so you come up with outrageous stuff so they will tune in.

He's an idiot, but not uncommon in 21at Century America.

bucksfan2
08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
When Cowherd had his morning show in Portland he used to make hay about how corporate ESPN was and what a sellout it would be to work for the network. Now, he's about the biggest network shill going.

Colin makes sure that people know he is a west coast voice. He said when ESPN hired him they wanted an "aggressive west coast voice". He also said that when hired he had a great deal of respect for Kornheiser but he needed to differentiate himself from Tony right away.

That said he is just abysmal when talking about anything other than football. I don't really listen much to NBA talk because I don't care one way or the other. He has become such a polarizing voice that it becomes hard to listen to when he talks about a subject that he really doesn't know about. He is great to listen to when talking about college and pro football (although his unhealthy love for Lane Kiffen is a little odd) but man is he brutal at baseball.

That said here on RZ we have 4 pages talking about Colin. I guess you can say he is doing his job.

Sea Ray
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
After hearing Lance last night on WLW I think he should pay me a commission. He went with my take (earlier in this thread) hook, line and sinker

Always Red
08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
After hearing Lance last night on WLW I think he should pay me a commission. He went with my take (earlier in this thread) hook, line and sinker

Well, at least Lance gave credit and posted the link to RZ...

I don't really know who Colin Cowherd is, I don't get to listen to radio during the day.

But if he has strange man love for Lane Kiffin, then I know all that I need to know about him. :D

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
People point out that the Reds have struggled against the top teams this season, and while that may be true, let's take a closer look at how the Reds have fared against the top teams.

The Reds finished 2-5 against the Phillies. However, the Phillies only outscored the Reds 30-27 this season. Four of our losses to the Phillies came in extra innings, and three of the losses were by one run, including two 1-0 losses. The Reds could have easily took three of four in Philly.

The Reds finished 2-3 against the Braves. RS/RA for the series was even at 24-24. Two of Reds three losses were by one run, and the other loss came in extra innings.

So far, the Reds are 2-2 against the Giants and one of the losses was by one run.
They went 4-2 against the Mets and outscored them 23-21. The Mets have since fallen out of the race but they were playing well when the Reds played them.

The Reds are 1-2 against the Padres but they played them way back in April when the Reds were playing awful. If you may recall, Dusty held a team meeting before the Sunday afternoon game against the Padres. The Reds went on to win that series finale and turned their season around.

The Cardinals have owned us this season, there's no way around that. But sometimes a certain team just has your number. The Reds played very well against the Cardinals in 2006 when they won the World Series. On the surface it may appear that the Reds were kicked around by the Phillies and Braves but they really haven't. The Reds are a couple plays away from having winning records against the Braves and Phillies this season...

Blimpie
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Nice summary, OBM...

_Sir_Charles_
08-18-2010, 06:25 PM
First I've heard his name. Ever. I was wondering if it was some kid from this year's draft.

The Voice of IH
08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
The Reds are a couple plays away from having winning records against the Braves and Phillies this season...

and in that case a much larger lead in the Central

cincrazy
08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Cowherd's job is to be interesting, and to create controversy. And he does it well. do I think he's an arrogant fool? I have no idea whether he is or not. Because I honestly think that he doesn't believe half the crap that comes out of his mouth.

I mean, really, we shouldn't be getting all worked up about this guy's comments regarding Votto. How many times has he actually watched Votto play?

Joseph
08-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Cowherd's job is to be interesting, and to create controversy. And he does it well. do I think he's an arrogant fool? I have no idea whether he is or not. Because I honestly think that he doesn't believe half the crap that comes out of his mouth.

I mean, really, we shouldn't be getting all worked up about this guy's comments regarding Votto. How many times has he actually watched Votto play?

If I were a betting man, I'd say 0.

REDblooded
08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Cowherd is pretty much the Howard Stern of sports talk... His only objective is to create controversy, and get people to listen to his show to see what crazy stuff he'll say next...

Yes, we're talking about him... But no, I'm not listening...

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Colin is talking Reds on his show today with a guest... and a poll question

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd

VR
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Colin is talking Reds on his show today with a guest... and a poll question

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd

Reds still a fraud?

6% yes
94% no

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
If anyone that can listen in during the lunch hour could do a re-cap, I'd love you for it. I have a meeting at lunch and I don't think I am going to be able to hear it.

If you missed it, there's been a decent back and forth every day between Colin and Doc. Doc seems to have Colins attention.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/

TRF
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
According to Cow-Head, the Reds are still frauds. he's on about them next, listening online.

VR
08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
According to Cow-Head, the Reds are still frauds. he's on about them next, listening online.

96% of his listeners are saying their not. Shock. Jock.

TRF
08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
yeah, he's a tool.

Cyclone792
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Cowherd is blasting all things Cincinnati right now and calling everything in Cincinnati (and Ohio) a fraud.

The only thing that's a fraud is Cowherd himself.

Razor Shines
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I posted this when I had to listen to him the day after Lawrence Taylor was arrested.

Unfortunately today I was somewhere where I was forced to listen to Colin Cowherd today. He was going on about how sorry he was for LT, he's got problems in his life. Not saying he was sorry he got caught or anything, but just feels bad in general for the way his life is going. No mention of the 16 YO girl who was beat up before she was brought to LT's hotel room. Colin Cowherd is an idiot and I can't stand him. I've never listened to his show before and never will again.

When he wasn't lamenting the LT's situation he spent the rest of his show ripping the NFL for being racist because Tim Tebow was drafted in the first round. If I ever see the guy that was listening to his show outside of a work situation I'd consider following him home and peeing in his corn flakes.

redsfan30
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Michelle Beadle is the only reason this guy has had any TV success.

She's tasty.

Phhhl
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I listened to him today and I just don't understand his point. Were the Marlins "frauds" after winning two world championships last decade? Were the Saints and Rams "frauds" after winning the Super Bowl? Were the 1989 Dodgers "legit" since they were a large market, even though that team theoretically had no business winning a championship? None of those teams had laid a foundation of overwhelming success before experiencing a title. So, there is empirical evidence that a team can step up and win at any time, and it doesn't necessarily matter what market size they come from, or if they have the most diminant pitcher at the top of their rotation. Conditions might make it more difficult in a small market, but to call it impossible is just wrong. So, what is the point?

Also, he said Ohio has "never" produced a legitimate champion in it's entire history. That is precisely what he said. I don't need to remind everyone here the specific team that comment would seem to include.

OldXOhio
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
No one can hang Colin like Colin. Give him more rope.

RBA
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I think he's making an excellent case why he's a fraud. He can't beat the good radio sports talk host.

TRF
08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
it won't get read, but here is the e-mail i sent him.

Colin,

First of all, you are a tool. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

I don’t think you understand the word. The Reds are not a fraud. The Marlins won a World Series, twice as a Wild Card team. The Cardinals are a great organization under the stewardship of the Reds current GM. But you have to go back to 2004. That’s when the rebuilding began. The Red’s AAA team could likely be competitive in the AL Central. The Reds are deep, deep, deep with talent.

What is hysterical is you tout the Rays as not being frauds. 1 post season appearance in their entire history.

Let’s just read that again.

1 post season appearance in their entire history.

So that is the standard. Ok….

That isn’t to say they aren’t frauds. What it says about them right now is that the Rays are a deep team. They have a ton of talent at AAA ready to step in. In fact the Rays are the only team with a AAA club as stocked as the Reds.

The Reds’ Achilles heel the last few years, well, one of them has been the West Coast swing. It’s been inexplicable. Well, so far, so good.

You want to know who the frauds were this year? Easy, The Dodgers. The Cardinals. The Cubs (who were supposed to be great with Big Z leading the rotation) The Angels with their super rotation. Oh, and the Reds Sox and their constant Yankee envy.

Colin, here are some facts. The Reds have the best 1B in baseball right now. He can now be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Albert, especially as he has surpassed him in nearly every statistical category. Votto is first in the NL BA, OBP, SLG and of course OPS. He’s 4th in HR’s, 3rd in RBI. Really it’s nearly a wash between the two. Votto is an elite player. Oh, but maybe he’s a fraud and this is a one year wonder. In 2009, Only Fielder and Pujols had a better OPS.

2B? Brandon Phillips is the best defensive 2B in baseball. He’s moved from the cleanup spot to leadoff. And he’s thrived.

3B? Scott Rolen is arguably the best 3B in baseball right now.

SS Cabrerra has been a stabilizing influence, along with Rolen in the clubhouse. But he’s not been a good offensive player, and his range has been limited too. Enter Paul Janish, who has fantastic range, a cannon for an arm and has surprised offensively. When he’s on the field, the BEST defense in baseball gets even better.

The OF.. well defensively, fantastic, minus Johnny Gomes. Offensively? Streaky. But with potential. Jay Bruce is one of the best young talents in the game. And now he’s being mentored by Jim Edmonds. Stubbs is a fantastic defender, as is Heisey.

The catching tandem has the best BA in the NL, and the 4th highest OPS.

Then there is the pitching. The Reds are 7 deep in the rotation. With legit starters in Wood, Chapman, Harang, Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto, and Leake. Plus Maloney and LeCure as emergency starters.

And none of this means they aren’t frauds. Your reasoning that The Cardinals aren’t frauds because they are a class organization that has won as recently as 2006 doesn’t hold water. That is a different regime in there now. The old regime is a few hundred miles to the east.. in Cincinnati. The Cardinals farm is a mess. The Reds farm is considered one of the best in baseball.

I get you are a football guy. I get you don’t actually like baseball (or even understand it) I heard your take that TV is football’s friend where newspapers were baseball’s friend, implying that baseball is the past and football is the future. Nevermind that the largest fantasy game participation on the internet, (you have heard of the internet right?) is fantasy baseball. Baseball and the internet are perfect partners. It has revitalized radio, and the listening of the game. There is nothing more chaotic than listening to a football game on the radio. The descriptions are pathetic. Vin Scully on the radio is like a work of art.

The fraud here is you. You who used to rail against ESPN, and east coast bias and network big boys. All you are now is a shell of what you were, a network sellout.

I don’t listen to your show, but I did today just to hear your laughable tripe. To sum up, according to you:

• The Yankees are not frauds, because they are the Yankees. (nevermind that prior to last year, they had been owned in post season play since 2001)
• The Rays are not frauds, despite making only 1 post season appearance in their history. He Colin, did you call the Rays frauds that year? Were they?
• The Cardinals are not frauds because 4 years ago they won the world series under Walt Jocketty, the Reds current GM.
• And the Reds are frauds because they haven’t won since 1990.

I think you should stick to football. You like it, you understand it. You don’t understand baseball at all.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I, for one, really don't care what this guy thinks. If he wants to rant and blather away, have at it. I got better things to do.

The proverbial legend in his own mind.

Cicero
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Reds still a fraud?

6% yes
94% no

SO 6% of his listeners are Cardinal fans. Interesting.

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 02:22 PM
it won't get read, but here is the e-mail i sent him.

Where can I find his e-mail address?

westofyou
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Where can I find his e-mail address?

Don't forget to mention how disappointed in Bruce you are.

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Don't forget to mention how disappointed in Bruce you are.

Wow, really? Let's stay on topic. Colin Cowherd

RBA
08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Why waste your time with an email?

westofyou
08-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Let's storm the administration building and take over the Deans office!!!

RBA
08-19-2010, 02:49 PM

I was thinking more like stocking his studio and throwing a coconut cream pie (from Coco's) in his face.

westofyou
08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I was thinking more like stocking his studio and throwing a coconut cream pie (from Coco's) in his face.

Cocos!!!

man I haven't thought of that place in some time.

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM

When you've got a lot of time and sports are your life... well you know. Don't make me feel stupid ;)

TRF
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM

let's sit like drones, never have an opinion, and let others tell us what to think.

I'm not thinking I changed the world with my email. I had some time and I voiced an opinion. I'm actually not that worked up about it with one exception... The guy clearly knows nothing about baseball or its history. He's a football guy. That's fine. I know a lot of guys that like football. Some of them are even intelligent. :)

I think his opinion is designed to incite the listeners, and drive up viewer participation so he can rip them to shreds.

Which is better than an opinion that I shouldn't have one, that disagreeing with this pinhead is somehow beneath you. The only way to change someone's mind is with a rational argument. Of course, I may have left rational when I called him a tool. :)

Always Red
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Of course, I may have left rational when I called him a tool. :)

That's probably where he (or his producer) stopped reading. :D

cincrazy
08-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I listened to him today and I just don't understand his point. Were the Marlins "frauds" after winning two world championships last decade? Were the Saints and Rams "frauds" after winning the Super Bowl? Were the 1989 Dodgers "legit" since they were a large market, even though that team theoretically had no business winning a championship? None of those teams had laid a foundation of overwhelming success before experiencing a title. So, there is empirical evidence that a team can step up and win at any time, and it doesn't necessarily matter what market size they come from, or if they have the most diminant pitcher at the top of their rotation. Conditions might make it more difficult in a small market, but to call it impossible is just wrong. So, what is the point?

Also, he said Ohio has "never" produced a legitimate champion in it's entire history. That is precisely what he said. I don't need to remind everyone here the specific team that comment would seem to include.

Haha, sounds like a shot at the "Luckeyes" to me.

People conveniently forget that OSU beat one of the most talented college football team's EVER to win the national title that season.

RedsBaron
08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I have XM radio in my car and often turn to ESPN...but then I usually turn it to something else after a few minutes. For one thing, there are too many commericals, and the commercials are far too long. For another thing, other than "Mike & Mike" I have yet to find any radio hosts on ESPN that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes. ESPN seems to have cornered the market on arrogant know-nothings.

membengal
08-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I have XM radio in my car and often turn to ESPN...but then I usually turn it to something else after a few minutes. For one thing, there are too many commericals, and the commercials are far too long. For another thing, other than "Mike & Mike" I have yet to find any radio hosts on ESPN that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes. ESPN seems to have cornered the market on arrogant know-nothings.

You might give Scott Van Pelt a listen from 1-4. He's pretty laid back and tends to talk sports because he likes it, always appreciated to this listener, anyway.

Homer Bailey
08-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Co sign on van pelt and rusillo

Hap
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Maybe he's never heard of The Big Red Machine.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe he's never heard of The Big Red Machine.

They played in a weak division. Steve Garvey was overrated.

Plus everyone knows Carlton Fisk won the 1975 WS with his Game 6 homer.

;)

guttle11
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Actually, Colin's mentioned in the past that he really followed the BRM growing up on the West Coast because they always seemed to be the national game of the week.

He just wants action. National radio shows can't get too in depth, they have to find a schtick. Rome has "takes" and "burns", Dan Patrick has the "guy" thing, Van Pelt has the "uncool cool younger" guy, Mike and Mike have the tomato/to-mah-to" thing. Colin takes the opposite side and riles up the masses. It's how he's been able to grow his career to where he is now despite never playing sports after high school, or even graduating college.

11larkin11
08-19-2010, 11:37 PM

If you're an Ohio Sports fan, I enjoy the programming after Colin on 97.1 the fan. The Big Show with Chris Spielman and Bruce Hooley and then I really like The Common Man and The Torg.

Ghosts of 1990
08-20-2010, 03:52 AM
If you're an Ohio Sports fan, I enjoy the programming after Colin on 97.1 the fan. The Big Show with Chris Spielman and Bruce Hooley and then I really like The Common Man and The Torg.

Columbus resident here. There are no two men on this earth who talk sports for a living who know less. None. Common man and the Torg. They're God awful.

Reds Freak
08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Columbus resident here. There are no two men on this earth who talk sports for a living who know less. None. Common man and the Torg. They're God awful.

I concur, they are paaainful. I'm not sure I've ever heard them talk about anything other than OSU football though...

reds1869
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I concur, they are paaainful. I'm not sure I've ever heard them talk about anything other than OSU football though...

They're in Columbus. They probably don't realize that there is anything other than OSU football.

RedsBaron
08-20-2010, 11:03 AM

I don't disagree with the argument that the Reds starting pitchers may not match up well against some of the other pitching staffs, such as the Phillies, and I certainly wish the Reds rotation was headed by, say, the mid-1990s Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine.
However the World Series is not always won by the team that, at least going in, appears to have the edge in starting pitching, with an "ace."
For example, one of the perceived advantages the 1990 A's had was a starting staff lead by four time 20 game winner Dave Stewart, fresh off a 22 win season, and 27 game winner Bob Welch, but Jose Rijo out pitched everyone that October, even though he had won a mere 14 games in 1990 and had a career mark of 53-52 at the time.
In 1997 the Marlins did have an "ace" in Kevin Brown, a former 20 game winner who had posted a league leading 1.89 ERA in 1996 and had come back with a 16-8, 2.69 season in 1997. The Marlins did win the Series, but did so in spite of Brown, who lost twice.
Six years later the Marlins won another World Series, lead by Josh Beckett. Now Beckett is a terrific pitcher, but at that point in his career he had gone 2-2, 6-7 and 9-8, hardly the seasonal records of an "ace."
If the Reds make the post season a number of other teams have to be given the edge in starting pitching, but can the Reds still win? Yep.

Ghosts of 1990
08-20-2010, 11:15 AM

And I don't understand it. I mean, I get it; you're in Columbus. You think OSU football is king. But they'll talk other subjects that they should know from just being guys and they just sound like dopes. Their attempts at humor, their very fringe knowledge of players of all sports (i.e. "This guy is no good.... this guy is so so." etc.) is so off-base sometimes I want to call in just to point out how bad they are.

Chip R
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
And I don't understand it. I mean, I get it; you're in Columbus. You think OSU football is king. But they'll talk other subjects that they should know from just being guys and they just sound like dopes. Their attempts at humor, their very fringe knowledge of players of all sports (i.e. "This guy is no good.... this guy is so so." etc.) is so off-base sometimes I want to call in just to point out how bad they are.

YouTube - Isn't it Ironic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpDlkoiXsfY)

Reds Freak
08-20-2010, 11:37 AM

I know we're getting a little off-topic here...The other thing that drove me away from their show is they are supposed to be a local talk show, but when they talk about things other than OSU football they'll have the beat writer for the Houston Texans on the show or a player from the Utah Jazz or the play-by-play guy from some other random team across the country that I have no interest in hearing about...

Sea Ray
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Well Cowherd was back at it today and more "weasely" than ever. He tried to defend his comments on the Reds in an interview with Curt Shilling by comparing them to the Yankees.

Hey Colin, every team that isn't the Yankees is not a fraud! They basically agreed that our Reds didn't have the starting pitching that other teams have so they won't go far in the playoffs. Duh

If the Reds make the playoffs they will have earned it, holding off a good Cardinal team. He's setting himself up to call us frauds when we drop out of the playoffs.

He asked "what's the difference between the Yankees and the Reds?"

His answer of course was Sabathia and company. My answer is $150mill you tool!

He's gotten more entrenched in the irritating east coast media machine that has defined ESPN

OldXOhio
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I find it peculiar that he's taking such interest in the small mkt reds in the first place. Sure reds and cards fans probably all find the subject matter compelling, but for the most part, his audience has to be largely indifferent on the topic. If he is in fact trying to spark ratings, I can't say he's the smartest guy around. Most of his listeners have to be screaming "who cares" at their radios.

Homer Bailey
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I think I remember hearing that Cowherd was somewhat of a Cardinals fan. Herbstreit said something of the sort when he called in one day.

MasonBuzz3
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I remember hearing that Cowherd was somewhat of a Cardinals fan. Herbstreit said something of the sort when he called in one day.

well, cowherd does seem to whine and complain a bunch...so i guess that would make sense

Sea Ray
08-23-2010, 03:10 PM
I find it peculiar that he's taking such interest in the small mkt reds in the first place. Sure reds and cards fans probably all find the subject matter compelling, but for the most part, his audience has to be largely indifferent on the topic. If he is in fact trying to spark ratings, I can't say he's the smartest guy around. Most of his listeners have to be screaming "who cares" at their radios.

I doubt it was concious decision. He likely just blurted out that the Reds were not for real and the only reason he's had to continue to defend it is because he's heard such an outcry. Basically if he doesn't know your team very well then you're a fraud

kbrake
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah I knew he was on top of his game today when he talked about how a rotation that featured Harang and Mike Leake wouldn't go far.

BRM
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah I knew he was on top of his game today when he talked about how a rotation that featured Harang and Mike Leake wouldn't go far.

Wow, that's awesome analysis and insight right there. Did anyone call in and let him know that neither of those guys is currently in the rotation?

kbrake
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, that's awesome analysis and insight right there. Did anyone call in and let him know that neither of those guys is currently in the rotation?

He got some emails about it and mentioned it but just blew it off.

By the way Dusty is coming up on Scott Van Pelt Show on ESPN radio. Should be on in the next few minutes.

Homer Bailey
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
He got some emails about it and mentioned it but just blew it off.

By the way Dusty is coming up on Scott Van Pelt Show on ESPN radio. Should be on in the next few minutes.

Did I miss it? I just tuned in.

reds44
08-23-2010, 04:00 PM
LOL. Holy crap, I can understand Leake, but Harang? Wow...

kbrake
08-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Did I miss it? I just tuned in.

Yeah you had to have just barely missed it.

Ghosts of 1990
08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah you had to have just barely missed it.

recap?

medford
08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't listen to Cowherd much, but have heard enough of the complaints (or heard enough to know why the complaints) and its pretty obvious what his schtick is. Why is he still talking Reds? Because obviously he's gotten a lot of feedback. Its not the first time, he'll call out OSU football because he knows he'll get a gizzillion emails and calls telling him how stupid he is (right or wrong), I assume he's getting the same response from the Reds. I've heard the man make one point one week, then a week later take a contradictary point on the same subject and defend both vigirously.

the older I get, the harder it gets to listen to sports talk radio. there are some good ones, but when I'm listening I want to be informed, learn something new, I rarely get that from Colin. I don't care for Mike & Mike a ton, but they have the advantage of being on in the mornings, and can at worst give me updates on news I haven't read much about, or opinions on news that I haven't heard yet. By the time Colin gets on, the news is old and he rarely brings anything new to the table. He's often wrong (perhaps on purpose) with his statements, but he knows how to get people to react. This thread is more proof of that.

Its obvious he knows little of the Reds, but by saying their a fraud gathers him more attention and higher ratings than spending 5 minutes saying how good they are and a real threat for a W-S crown. He'd pretty much have to come out and proclaim the Reds W-S favorites right now, then vigirously defend that belief vs the Yankee/Phils/Etc fan base to generate as much buzz w/ a Reds topic. As much as I love the Reds, I can't make a reasonable argument for the Reds over the Yankees w/ CC or the Phils w/ Halladay headlining their rotation vs Bronson leading the Reds rotation. Doesn't mean they don't have a chance, doesn't mean they don't have strengths at other spots, its just the easiest place to base your argument when you know little about what your arguing.

kbrake
08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
recap?

SVP asked Dusty about how the Reds were able to bounce back so well after what seemed like such a crushing series against the Cards. Dusty said he just told the guys that Philadelphia was tough and that didn't ruin the season and the Cards series would not either.

SVP then asked about who the team MVP was and Dusty said the obvious answer was Votto then listed about 12 other guys he thinks are in the discussion.

SVP asked if Dusty would be suprised if the Reds did not make the playoffs and Dusty said he would be suprised but that is not how he looks at things.

This might not be a great recap but you can always go to espnradio.com later tonight and listen to it again. About the 1.5 hour mark during the SVP show.

Captain Hook
08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
FWIW the Reds are 9-8-3 in series against teams at .500 or better.I did include the sweep against the A's and they currently sit at 1 game below .500 but they're close.Not really dominating but seems they hold their own against good teams.