PDA

View Full Version : Leake to Bullpen

Plus Plus
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
johnfayman

#Reds told Leake he's in bullpen for now. "I'd rather go every 5th day. But whatever I can do to help the team."

http://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/21439168167

Thoughts?

membengal
08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Your thread is more complete. Mine should be deleted.

Oh, and I am glad they are making this move.

SMcGavin
08-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Probably the right move, since he pitched his way out of the rotation. Will be interesting to see how much they use him.

VR
08-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Best possible outcome for the logjam at this point.

redsfandan
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Very happy with this move.

IslandRed
08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
I agree, best possible solution to keep his innings down and keep him in the major leagues. He's tailed off since early in the season, but a guy with a sub-4 ERA doesn't really deserve to be shipped out to the minors. That would be mostly about jacking around with his service time, and karma gets even with that sort of thing eventually.

Besides, it gives us an extra pinch-hitter. :cool:

Gallen5862
08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
This move also keeps Leake eligible for the postseason roster in addition to keeping his innings down. Does this make Leake the new long reliever? That would have been Owings role probably.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Besides, it gives us an extra pinch-hitter. :cool:

Wouldn't he have to be on the bench to be called on at the spur of the moment to pinch hit? If he's sitting down in the bullpen, how would that work?

IslandRed
08-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Now that you mention it, you're right, and that's probably why the presumed benefits of having Owings as a potential pinch-hitter didn't really happen. If the long man is supposed to be available early (if the starter gets rocked) or late (if the game goes several extra innings), then it doesn't leave many chances for the manager to feel comfortable in burning him as a pinch-hitter.

Redsfan320
08-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I wish him the best. He seems like a good pitcher and a nice guy. I think he can be at least an average starter someday, but for now, a trip to the pen may possibly be quite helpful.

PuffyPig
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I think he can be at least an average starter someday, but for now, a trip to the pen may possibly be quite helpful.

I would think he's already considered an average starter.

nemesis
08-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I wonder if we will see the usual increase in velocity with his move to the bullpen? I really like this move BTW. Keeps his innings down and gives the Reds another late inning quality option. Anyone have his 1st Inning stats?

Reds1
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I told a buddy today this is what I would do and bammm. . :)

nemesis
08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I told a buddy today this is what I would do and bammm. . :)

Need to buddy you'd DFA Cordero next... :thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
It keeps his innings down, keeps his options intact, gives the Reds a long man out of the pen that they didn't have, and it gives them an extra bat off the bench in a pinch.

Solid move.

mth123
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
So we replace Micah in the long relief role with Mike. Mike is a much better pitcher and may even be a better bat, I just like the idea of letting him start in AAA to have him fully ready for 2011.

Not the worst move the team could have made and may prove to be a great one.

jojo
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
The Reds kicked Micah to the curve rather than tripping over themselves to pick the trash on the curve....

Progress.

kbrake
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm on board. Would have been fine with AAA too but I can handle this. Really like a rotation of Cueto Arroyo Volquez Bailey and Wood for the next 6 weeks.

Wheelhouse
08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Good move. Good timing, coming off a nice win.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Good move. Mike has pitched well this season but he's getting into unchartered territory and this will keep his innings down.

oneupper
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I hope he makes the transition well. He's been shaky at the start of some games and is probably not a good choice to bring in with men on base.

Reds1
08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Need to buddy you'd DFA Cordero next... :thumbup:

I don't know about that! :D

RedLegSuperStar
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
So where does Chapman fit in? I hear that this is the weapon that could distance us and he is stuck in AAA proving he deserves the call up.

What happens with Harang? He got knocked around in Louisville Sunday but could easily make a couple quality starts and force this teams hand. What do you do with him?

This is a good move and I love Leake. If it wasn't for him I don't think this team is where it is. Any way he can contribute is good for the team. Just wish they would give an oppertunity to the chosen one.. the Cuban missle.. the flame thrower.

MattyHo4Life
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Leake should make another start when the Reds visit St. Louis. :)

Big Klu
08-17-2010, 11:24 PM
It keeps his innings down, keeps his options intact, gives the Reds a long man out of the pen that they didn't have, and it gives them an extra bat off the bench in a pinch.

Solid move.

Haven't the Reds already used an option on Leake this season? Remember, he was not on the Opening Day roster. Even though he never made a minor-league appearance, I think he was optioned coming out of Spring Training.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Haven't the Reds already used an option on Leake this season? Remember, he was not on the Opening Day roster. Even though he never made a minor-league appearance, I think he was optioned coming out of Spring Training.

Nope. They haven't used one. If you are active in the minors less than 20 days, you don't use an option. He was called up April 11.

SirFelixCat
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Solid move.

Totally agree. Smart, solid move!:thumbup:

Big Klu
08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Nope. They haven't used one. If you are active in the minors less than 20 days, you don't use an option. He was called up April 11.

Thanks. I didn't realize that.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks. I didn't realize that.

No problemo.

WVRedsFan
08-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Juat suppose that first start by Homer was an abberation. I think it was, but I'm in the minority. If it was (and I think it is), you still have Leake to fill in. Good move. Walt and company are being smart. I like it.

Ron Madden
08-18-2010, 04:24 AM
If I have to pay a guy to Pitch, I'll take Leake over Owings.

If I want to use a Pitcher to PH, I'd take both Leake and Wood over Owings.

We Gave Adam Dunn Away.

bucksfan2
08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't really like this. I would like to see Leake either start or be shut down for the season. I don't really know how he will perform out of the pen and to be honest I would rather him not get innings than get an inning her and an inning there.

Danny Serafini
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM

They didn't need to option him because he wasn't on the 40 man roster. They just parked him in extended spring training for a few days, then added him when they brought him up.

Chip R
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't he have to be on the bench to be called on at the spur of the moment to pinch hit? If he's sitting down in the bullpen, how would that work?

That's a good question and one I've asked when Owings was in the bullpen. I think Island Red had a good explanation. I don't think Leake is Dusty's 1st option for a RH PH. I think he would start out in the pen and if the starter is getting rocked early - which has thankfully been few and far between - he could pinch hit then continue to stay in the lineup as a pitcher. But I would think the Reds would have to be down by several runs for that to happen. Otherwise, if it's a close game and Dusty's used a couple of hitters already, he may have him come to the bench and get ready. However, I think Dusty looks at Leake more as a pitcher than a pinch hitter whereas Owings was looked at more as a pinch hitter than a pitcher.