PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know...

nemesis
08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Who has signed, hedge your bets with the players outside of Grandal that you feel will be future ML out of this draft. 2 pitchers and 2 Hitters.

Mine are...

9th round pick - Tanner Robles - LHP - In his last 6 starts after a horrible beginning his numbers are redonkulus... 3-2 / 0.90 ERA / 0.73 WHIP / 10.6 K per 9 / 1.5 BB per 9

I could see him on AA by the end of next year.

49th round pick - El'Hajj Muhammad - RHP sporting a 1.19 ERA in his last 10 appearances covering 22.2 IP with a K per 9 of 11.91. Has went 2 or more innings in 9 of his last 10 appearances.

Has that feel to me about him.

My Hitters are...

12th round pick - Kyle Waldrop - Has a big frame (6'3"), LH and can play all 3 OF spots. Sounds like Jay Bruce.

32nd Round Pick - Jaren Matthews - I call this the Rule 32 pick. Reds have had some serious success with players taken in the 32nd round lately. Since 2005 the players taken in the 32nd Round are:

2005 - Chris Denove in AAA/AA all year
2006 - Danny Dorn in AAA
2007 - Brandon Douglass - who? (Took Hotchkiss in round 31 so, close enough)
2008 - Justin Freeman in AA
2009 - Shane Carlson in High A
2010 - Jaren Matthews

Every one of there guys short of Douglass and Carlson will probably see time in the Majors at one point or another. That's some good success in the later rounds.

Matthews had a reputation of being uncoachible and having a terrible swing. His first few games he had alot of trouble making contact. His last 10 after some coaching adjustments...

.421 BA / 4 2B's / 2 3B's / 2 HR / 10 RBI / 9 k and 6 BB's in 44 AB's... A slash of .500/.789/1.289... Overall his slash is .402/.653/1.055 in 20 games. His OPS of 1.055 would be good enough for second in the league with enough AB's.

My what the heck? Pick is Willam Hartford. A 3rd string catcher at ND taken at all is just odd, but with a pick the 45th round is just beyond odd. Especially when you go out and sign a guy like Joel Ernest as a NDFA who has been nothing short of spectacular that you coulda just drafted instead. You should never punt a pick even as a favor. You never know what you might miss.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Loved watching Tanner Robles at Oregon State. I'm definitely rooting for him.

OesterPoster
08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't know why, but I like the 34th rounder, Canadian shortstop Brandon Dailey. He's faced some tough competition with Team Canada's junior club this summer at Thunder Bay, and found this other little excerpt about his international play:

The 18-year-old Terrier is a vacuum on defence and wields a pretty good stick at the plate.

That’s evident as a key cog to the Terriers offence and by his exploits with the Canadian junior baseball team. During a stint with the national squad at the end of May in the Dominican Republic – where Canada faced minor league baseball clubs – the Brantford native hit .375, with nine hits and five doubles. He went 3-for-7 in the final two games against the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers affiliates.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports/article/831876--reds-read-to-groom-terrier