PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Thomson, RIP

Mutaman
08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Of all the many sporting moments or events involving NYC teams, the Shot Heard Round the World is the most talked about and the most written about. Nothing else even comes close.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 10:55 PM
The guy who threw that pitch, Ralph Branca, I believe, had a disappointing life after that. It depressed him for the rest of his life.

Someone's triumph is usually at the expense of someone else's tragedy.

Mutaman
08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
I always thought Branca handled it with a lot of class. I'm not sure if he had a dissapointing life but here are some interesting stories about him from Wkerpedia:

Branca originally wore the uniform number 12, but switched to number 13, one of the few players of that time to wear it, due to a long-standing superstition that the number brings bad luck. After the Shot Heard 'Round the World, he briefly returned to number 12, but then changed back to 13.

On Opening Day 1947, which was also Jackie Robinson’s Major League debut, Branca lined up on the field beside Robinson, while other players refused.

Ralph and Ann's daughter Mary married a future Dodger player, later manager of the New York Mets, Bobby Valentine

Ralph was a contestant on Concentration starting in September 1963, where he won 17 consecutive games.
+
In his final spring training appearance, Branca was relieved by Sandy Koufax, whose first major league strikeout was Thomson.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm going by Ralph's own words in an interview near the end of his life. He was really melancholy about it. He intimated that it defined who he was and that he never got over it.

redsrolen
08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Last weekend my 90 year old mom was at my home for the weekend. I have been blessed by having a very healthy mother, who only last year quit playing golf. I was raised by 2 sports crazy parents, that met on Long Island,N.Y.,65 years ago. You must be asking, what the hell does this have to do with Bobby Thompson, the day before he died my mother recanted the story of the shot heard round the world. Her eyes gleemed with excitement when she relived the moment. I said "mom, what did you do after the victory" she said," I ran out in the street and screemed, where are all you Dodger fans now?" Thank-you Bobby Thompson, (my mother always said you were her favorite player,) for giving my mother so much joy!!!!!