PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips is paying for Johnny Cueto's fine

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2010, 01:34 AM
I think this deserves a thread of it's own. Too many times Brandon Phillips gets negative publicity, now it's time he gets some positive recognition.

From Hal McCoy:

Say what you want about Brandon Phillips, whether he should have or should not have made public his feelings about the St. Louis Cardinals, he is a man of honor. He is paying for pitcher Johnny Cueto’s fine for Cueto’s part in the last Tuesday’s game when the Reds and Cardinals went Mike Tyson-Muhammad Ali on the baseball field.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/08/18/janish_to_the_rescue_again.html?cxtype=feedbot

Classy move by Phillips.

Brutus
08-18-2010, 01:36 AM
As long as he doesn't take back what he said...
:D

WVRedsFan
08-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Great move. I still blame the St Louis catcher for that whole thing. What a jerk. Along with most of the Cardinals team. May theyand Pujlos and the rest of them rot in the lack of off season for their arrogant attitude and lack of class, not that Brandon didn't escalate it.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Brandon's only crime was saying what every other NL team was thinking.

Classy move to pay Cueto's fine.

RedFanAlways1966
08-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I hope BP also bought Homer Bailey a steak dinner and beer(s) for filling in nicely during Cueto's start against FLA.

oneupper
08-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Kirk Gibson was interviewed on the D'backs feed of last night's game and asked about the whole issue.
While trying hard to be diplomatic, Gibson was very appreciative of Phillips and "Didn't see a problem" with the whole Cards-Reds controversy.

"I did a lot of stuff when I was a player"

lollipopcurve
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Kirk Gibson was interviewed on the D'backs feed of last night's game and asked about the whole issue.
While trying hard to be diplomatic, Gibson was very appreciative of Phillips and "Didn't see a problem" with the whole Cards-Reds controversy.

"I did a lot of stuff when I was a player"

Love it. The sanctimonius hand-wringing about this incident has been ridiculous. These are professional athletes who thrive on competition -- and who stand to make serious money by beating one another. Sometimes they're going to say stuff and butt heads. What Phillips said was not ideal, but it was just words. Get over it.

15fan
08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd imagine there isn't much love lost between Gibson and LaRussa.

HeatherC1212
08-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Very classy move by Brandon. :thumbup:

membengal
08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Score one for Gibby.

As for unintended benefits from "the truth-telling", Phillips bought Cueto some perhaps invaluable time off to rest that arm heading into the heart of the pennant race, so, there's that.

RedFanAlways1966
08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

I'd guess you might be referring to the 1988 HR off of Dennis Eckersley ("I don't believe what I just saw").

Your comment leads me to ask RZ, "What opposing players/managers like Tony LaRussa?" Maybe I am wearing REDS-colored glasses and read this site too much, but is Tony a "bad guy" in other MLB cities? I am sure Cubs fans hate him (all Cardinals), but how about Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, San Fran, etc, etc?

Chip R
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd guess you might be referring to the 1988 HR off of Dennis Eckersley ("I don't believe what I just saw").

Your comment leads me to ask RZ, "What opposing players/managers like Tony LaRussa?" Maybe I am wearing REDS-colored glasses and read this site too much, but is Tony a "bad guy" in other MLB cities? I am sure Cubs fans hate him (all Cardinals), but how about Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, San Fran, etc, etc?

Good question. I know Jim Leyland's a friend of his but other than that, I have no idea.

top6
08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
i'm almost positive you are not allowed to do this.

Cedric
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM

How in the world would you enforce it though? Phillips could just give Cueto or someone close to him a "gift" for the exact amount of money. Even if someone says you can't just do it quietly.

kaldaniels
08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
How in the world would you enforce it though? Phillips could just give Cueto or someone close to him a "gift" for the exact amount of money. Even if someone says you can't just do it quietly.

I agree...I wouldn't define quietly as telling McCoy though. :D

LincolnparkRed
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
how much was the fine? I can give you up to 13k as a gift at any point and I don't pay taxes on it

traderumor
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Love it. The sanctimonius hand-wringing about this incident has been ridiculous. These are professional athletes who thrive on competition -- and who stand to make serious money by beating one another. Sometimes they're going to say stuff and butt heads. What Phillips said was not ideal, but it was just words. Get over it.I wish it could be done on a little bit higher level, but I also prefer some natural animosity between teams in a heated pennant race than I like to see them fraternizing on the field before games like frat brothers that we normally see in this "every player's a free agent" era.

top6
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM
how much was the fine? I can give you up to 13k as a gift at any point and I don't pay taxes on it

but you cannot pay my taxes. i.e., if I owe $5K in taxes, you can't just pay them. i mean, you can, but i have to declare the $5k you give me as income, and pay taxes on it. i think it's sort of the same thing with fines - which are intended to punish.

and of course it's generally an unenforceable rule (if i'm right) - unless, say, you confess what you are doing in widely-read news article.

wally post
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Good for BP!

Roy Tucker
08-18-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure the team isn't allowed to pay fines, but I don't see how you can keep a player from writing another player a check.

guttle11
08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
7 games worth of Cueto's pay is a bit steep, but Phillips really wanted that iPad.

There. Loophole.

VR
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Clubs are not allowed to, but players, knock yourself out.

Spitball
08-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Clubs are not allowed to, but players, knock yourself out.

How do you know clubs are not allowed to pay fines? I believe some fines have been paid by teams for players in the past. In fact, I believe Ron Gant took issue with the Reds for not paying a league fine after a fight (maybe with Pat Borders) back in 1995. I also believe someone (probably Red Sox but maybe Expos) paid a fine for Pedro Martinez back in the 1990s.

I remember being surprised to learn of such goings on. I might be wrong, but does anyone have a link to a rule?

Hoosier Red
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
but you cannot pay my taxes. i.e., if I owe $5K in taxes, you can't just pay them. i mean, you can, but i have to declare the $5k you give me as income, and pay taxes on it. i think it's sort of the same thing with fines - which are intended to punish.

and of course it's generally an unenforceable rule (if i'm right) - unless, say, you confess what you are doing in widely-read news article.

Not exactly, you can give up to $13K as a "gift" to anyone and it is not taxable to that person.

I'm not sure there's anyway whoever collects the check could keep Phillips from writing a check or at least taking out a cashier's check for the amount.

Slyder
08-19-2010, 02:10 AM

I can't believe what I just saw. One of my first memories of baseball. Very classy thing of Phillips.