PDA

View Full Version : Reds offer Dusty extension

xavr1
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Fay reports. Dusty mulling it over. No details on the offer. Anyone know anything?

bshall2105
08-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Will everybody complain, or has he finally proved himself to The Sun Deck?

davereds24
08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't see the benefit to this. What if the team fails on the west coast again?

xavr1
I say give credit where it is due. If you rip the guy when they lose, you should tip your cap when they win.

redsfan_12
Cant say he doesnt deserve it.

Caveman Techie
08-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Well I will say, he deserves it after this year. While some of his lineups are headscratchers, he does have those weird lineups at the top of almost every important offensive category in the NL.

He kept this young team focused and productive during and after rough patches (The sweeps). While at the same time he has done a good job of protecting our young starting pitchers. I got to say he has impressed me this year.

bshall2105
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
There is no way to avoid giving him an extension. I think the should have waited until the season was over just in case something really bad happens, but everybody knew he would get an offer.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Giving him a raise would be like signing a free agent after a career year.

Resigning him isnt a bad thing though. Dusty wont find a better place to manage.

mlh1981
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
He's done a nice job of handling the young pitching this year, the guys like him, and he's provided leadership during rocky moments.

He deserves it.

zacharync
08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Well deserved. Where are all of the Dusty haters?

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 07:45 PM

What exactly is a "Dusty hater?" Does one qualify by offering any type of criticism?
It sounds like Orwellian baseballspeak to me.

Fullboat
08-18-2010, 07:58 PM
If we get the Dusty that's managing this season then I'm fine with it.But be WARNED this is probably guaranteed money,if Dusty starts Stubbs leadoff or
says Tavarez was misunderstood and wants him back and what are we going to do about well............:thumbdown :D

zacharync
08-18-2010, 07:58 PM
What exactly is a "Dusty hater?" Does one qualify by offering any type of criticism?
It sounds like Orwellian baseballspeak to me.

I think a Dusty hater consists of those with the FIRE DUSTY signature. Orwellian baseball speak? Social injustice you refer to? I think Dusty is doing just fine. Also, I am a white male who appreciates seeing an African American manager succeed at this level.

With that being said, I am all for the due criticism of his tactical decisions during a game. However as has been mentioned on this board, the man is loyal to his players and for the most part(with some obvious exceptions) gets them to play at a very high level. Most of all though, prepares them to WIN.

In conclusion, there have been many calling for his firing. Please, riddle me this....

Krawhitham
08-18-2010, 08:01 PM

HERE

no manager is worth 3.5+ million, let him walk and buy a player

zacharync
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
HERE

no manager is worth 3.5+ million, let him walk and buy a player

The man has led this team to being what 17+ games over in the middle of August. You PAY for that buddy.

Griffey012
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
I am completely fine with Dusty being the manager next season and on, however I would rather wait until after the season to discuss contract extensions for players, coaches, and managers.

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I think a Dusty hater consists of those with the FIRE DUSTY signature. Orwellian baseball speak? Social injustice you refer to? I think Dusty is doing just fine. Also, I am a white male who appreciates seeing an African American manager succeed at this level.

With that being said, I am all for the due criticism of his tactical decisions during a game. However as has been mentioned on this board, the man is loyal to his players and for the most part(with some obvious exceptions) gets them to play at a very high level. Most of all though, prepares them to WIN.

In conclusion, there have been many calling for his firing. Please, riddle me this....

It sounds like we both hold to the standard take on Dusty as a good clubhouse manager, not-so-great game manager. So, like any manager, we can both find plenty to praise and criticize. I used the term Orwellian to describe "Dusty hater" because it promotes a false dicotomy (Dusty hater v. Dusty supporter). It also labels counter arguements before they have been stated. Perhaps this was not what you intend, but I think it has been the net effect of the term in these forums. It really has nothing to do with race, class, or social justice. I find myself on the middle of the Dusty Baker spectrum. But I'd like to think I could still hold some reservations about this extention without being a "hater." Does this make any sense?

George Foster
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I would of waited until the off season, but I can see why they wanted to do this. Any manager is better with better talant, he has that this year.

Natty Redlocks
08-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Technically, I am a Dusty hater. But I'd feel pretty stupid criticizing him when the team is having such a good year. I also think upper management may have him somewhat on a short leash regarding the protection of his young pitchers, or else he's actually learned something from his Prior mistakes.

Regardless, his strengths have been on display this year, and his weaknesses haven't killed the team (obviously). So what the hey.

zacharync
08-18-2010, 08:42 PM
It sounds like we both hold to the standard take on Dusty as a good clubhouse manager, not-so-great game manager. So, like any manager, we can both find plenty to praise and criticize. I used the term Orwellian to describe "Dusty hater" because it promotes a false dicotomy (Dusty hater v. Dusty supporter). It also labels counter arguements before they have been stated. Perhaps this was not what you intend, but I think it has been the net effect of the term in these forums. It really has nothing to do with race, class, or social justice. I find myself on the middle of the Dusty Baker spectrum. But I'd like to think I could still hold some reservations about this extention without being a "hater." Does this make any sense?

Yes, it makes sense and thanks for clarifying the Orwell reference! I do recognize there is a grey area. However, I feel there also exists a portion of the fan base that exhibit blind hatred for the man. The man who has taken this franchise to a pennant race for the first time in recent memory. I mean seriously. FIRE DUSTY. ? Where does this outrage come from?

1990REDS
08-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Were 17 games above 500. The players seem to absolutely love him. Did anyone really think that dusty wasnt gonna get an extention after this year?

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes, it makes sense and thanks for clarifying the Orwell reference! I do recognize there is a grey area. However, I feel there also exists a portion of the fan base that exhibit blind hatred for the man. The man who has taken this franchise to a pennant race for the first time in recent memory. I mean seriously. FIRE DUSTY. ? Where does this outrage come from?

I'm not sure of where the outrage comes from. It may be a safe direction into which you can vent the day's frustrations. Perhaps Dusty took their parking spot or kicked their dog. I like to think it is a righteous indignation for removing the "Daugherty couch."

couch_manager
08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Dusty mulling it over.

:bowrofl:

He must be thinking his managerial skills aren't appreciated enough here.

Natty Redlocks
08-18-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure of where the outrage comes from. It may be a safe direction into which you can vent the day's frustrations. Perhaps Dusty took their parking spot or kicked their dog. I like to think it is a righteous indignation for removing the "Daugherty couch."

Anyone who paid any attention to the job he did in Chicago knows exactly where the Dusty outrage comes from.

Griffey012
08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

That is who the "Dusty Haters" are. The one's who criticize his every move just for the sake of criticizing. I understand some people have differing opinions of baseball strategy and what not, and nobody is always going to agree with the manager's moves. But when you disagree with every move a manager makes, you simply have a blind hatred for the guy. And whenever something doesn't workout as planned, you blame the manager. Those kind are the "Dusty Haters".

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Anyone who paid any attention to the job he did in Chicago knows exactly where the Dusty outrage comes from.

I can't say I paid much attention to Dusty's career until he came to Cincinnati. I learned about his time in Chicago and San Fransico long after he left both cities. But whatever arm-shreading, media vexing, and lineup twisting he did with the cubbies, I thank him for it.

Vottomatic
08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm a nitpicker about Dusty's in game moves, but I'm not a Dusty hater.
Gotta give credit where it's due. Completely impressed by the way this team bounces back. Nearly everytime you count them out or expect doom to set in, they pull it together. That must be the great clubhouse atmosphere and chemistry that Dusty creates. Maybe I've underestimated that.
And players can make you look foolish sometimes when they don't perform up to their norms..........such as Cordero and a few others. But often my gut tells me to make a change, and Dusty's gut doesn't.........and I get frustrated.
But his lineup change did wonders for the offense. His patience with Masset and a few others paid off in the bullpen. At times I've felt he's stuck too long with a player here or there................but in the end, what fan doesn't question the manager's moves from time to time? It happens all over baseball.

This team is in first place, and at the beginning of the season, if you would have told me they'd be in first place on August 18th, I wouldn't have believed it............but I'm elated.

It's been YEARS since I've followed the Reds like I do now. I stayed up last night for the final out and laughed at myself because of this addiction I have to the Reds this year. I feel like a kid again. Seriously.

Thanks Dusty. Keep it going.

Hustleman
08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
no problem with the extension, but couldnt it have waited?

Seņor Rojo
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Walt is the man with the plan. I trust his decision to offer Dusty an extension. The last time a manager did this well in Cincinnati it was Jack McKeon and he was fired and then promptly won a World Series with the Marlins. Perhaps not the most pertinent example, but it does put some perspective on things.

texasdave
08-19-2010, 01:18 AM
I am not a big Baker fan (obviously), but he deserves an extension

Jr's Boy
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
But you I can't get enough of Baker's aggressive ''first to third''type of ball playing.Still very much in the hunt in the end of August,I'd resign him.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I will say this, Baker might be a fool if he chooses to not return to the Reds.

The talent the Reds have on the major league roster combined with the talent they have sitting in AAA now you would be hard pressed to find a more stacked set of kids. Exactly that. Kids. You simply cant leave a team when you have a MVP type of talent in Votto. A rotation that goes 7 deep, and the young talent of Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Cozart, Mesoraco and Grandal. These guys might not all cut it in the majors but still he would be foolish to bail on a team with a foundation this strong. The only thing they are missing is a payroll, and with a little winning it will increase.

couch_manager
08-19-2010, 01:46 AM
I will say this, Baker might be a fool if he chooses to not return to the Reds.

+1

Despite his name recognition, I find it hard to believe that clubs are lining up for his services. If he's mulling it over, it must be that he's not satisfied with the money the Reds are offering him. Maybe it's a case where the Reds will lowball him knowing that he won't take that kind of offer after a successful season here and they're going to hire somebody else.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Dusty wont find an easier media to deal with I'm guessing either.

Cincy is just too good of a job to pass up right now especially when you have already been here for 3 years.

texasdave
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Dusty will be back. If not I am willing to bet a number of qualified people are ready to jump. This seems like a pretty sweet gig.

Girevik
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm wondering if Dusty might want a raise. He's already near the top in salary, from what I understand, and that's saying something for a small market team like the Reds. I can see Dusty wanting a raise given the success he's had, and can also see the Reds saying they just don't have it to give.

swaisuc
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I never really believed much in chemistry or being a good manager of the clubhouse. Watching this team every game this year, I don't know how you can come away not believing that Dusty is doing some great things in that department and it is having a major impact on our results.

It is hard to put a tangible value on it, but it might be one of those things where "you'll know it when you see it".

Long story short, no problem with the extension and I could just as easily post my response in the "players I was wrong about" thread.

knoonan991
08-21-2010, 02:17 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100820&content_id=13713680&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Great article that shows exactly how the players feel about Dusty's situation.

demas863
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
And if a player didn't think Dusty should be rehired, what could he say publicly? Baseball players, as do you and I, speak to our best interests.

Please indulge me. I'm going to get a bit heady here. Baseball has been described as a game where you are encouraged to go out there, play hard and have fun - just like when you were nine years old heading out to the playground. You didn't want any discipline, just to do your own thing. Simply put, Dusty follows that model for good or bad and thus is liked by his players. He's a "permissive daddy". In contrast Frank Robinson was exactly at the other end of the spectrum - a strict disciplinarian, a "by the book guy". He was not well liked by his players, but respected because you couldn't act entirely like a nine year old. Who makes the best manager? Probably a mix.

In this debate let's not forget the bulk of the credit for the Reds turn around goes to Jocketty and primarily to the acquisition of Rolen and subsequently Cabrera. The Griffey/Dunn mentality gradually evaporated on Scott's arrival and subsquent influence. The GM's strong defense objective has come into being ahead of time. The acquisition of Edmonds puts juice and moxie in the young outfield. If Dusty had his way his good friend, Dick Pole, would still be the pitching coach instead of Price and who knows what else.

An unnoticed move was the replacing of the trainer core. Have you noticed that the Reds have stayed much healthier than the other ball clubs. Coincidence?....perhaps. The club was a mess last year at this point in the season. I've always contended that of the good teams the ones that stay relatively healthy come out on top. There is such a fine line differentiating the talent at this level of the game. I would agree though that Baker has done a good job rotating the veterans in and out of the lineup.

Dusty initiated the rehiring dialogue, most likely because right now he thinks he's at the top and in the best negotiating position he will ever be in, excluding winning the World Series. And yet he says he doesn't want the salary/rehiring talks to be a distraction to the team. He's says that and yet he literally forces Jocketty's hand? Baker/his agent are playing hardball. How involved is Castellini? I'll bet a nickel against a dollar it was he who succumbed to the threat. History says Jocketty would say wait till season's end.

It is well known that a GM deserves his own man in the manager's job at some point in his (the GM's) stint. If it's Dusty so be it. The question shouldn't be whether or not Dusty has done a good job this year but rather who is best suited to lead on the field what has turned out to be a franchise of great promise into the future for many years.

CrosleyField
08-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Its a what have you done lately world and Dusty deserves some credit for this years team. Like somebody said earlier on this thread if you rip when he does stupid stuff (which he has - Corey Patterson) you have to give credit for when he does well. He has good timing in his success.

knoonan991
08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100823/SPT04/308230119/Reds-offer-Baker-only-1-year-extension

Wow I'm pretty surprised, only a 1 year extension?

Seems a little like a slap in the face to me. Won't blame Dusty if he looks more long term and chooses another team.

BAKER12
08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Offering a 1 year extension was pretty much the Reds way of not firing him but certainly telling Dusty he is not the guy they want managing their team. It would be my thought (just an outsider looking in) that ownership has never warmed to Dusty and his player friendly tactics. I always wondered if the support Dusty offered for President Obama in the 2008 campaign may have got him off to a rocky start that could not be mended with ownership. Those are just some random thoughts. The Reds will be a really good team in 2011, should be interesting to see who they pick as manager. My guess would be maybe a Larry Bowa type, as teams usually hire an opposite personality to the present manager. Should be an interesting off season.

BAKER12
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Did not want to infer that Larry Bowa himself is the guy they may hire, but meant that type of a very old school disciplinarian.

Old NDN
08-24-2010, 01:01 PM
How could he NOT be interested in the LA job? He's from the West Coast, he played in LA for several years, family, friends, celebrities, and a Dodger payroll that's a lot more than the Reds. He's done a good job this year and the Reds should reward him accordingly. I agree that he's overpaid, but that's what happens when you want a "big name" for manager. If a one year offer is all management is offering, I'm gone, if I'm Dusty.

GIDP
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Good for the Reds. They have all the power here.

1990REDS
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I actually dont mind dusty but i certainly wouldnt bend over backwards or overpay to keep him. If he stays fine, if he leaves that would be fine to.

BAKER12
08-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Dusty is kind of a different guy than the typical baseball lifer. I see LaRussa as a guy that craves attention and would manage a team like the Royals if that's the only team that would take him. Dusty (young son, family man) seems to be someone that if he has a deal he likes in a situation that seems suitable will manage, otherwise he would be more than happy to hang out in Sacramento (his home) and hang with his son. After reading a lot of articles, etc, my gut says Dusty will manage the rest of this season and that will be it. A great career and he will enjoy life. Hope for the Reds sake that the next manager is a guy that the players connect with like they do Dusty. The Reds should be really good for a while, there will be some pressure on the next manager.

davereds24
08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
A couple nights ago in the postgame Dusty said this was the most fun he's had in a long long time. He'll be around for awhile IMO.

texasdave
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I could see Dusty ending up in Los Angeles. In 2002 he skippered the Giants to the World Series. In 2003 he was managing the Cubs. I wonder how often a manager takes a team to the WS and ends up managing a different ballclub the next season?

davereds24
08-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Lets hope it happens again

Old NDN
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Who would you want to manage if Dusty doesn't return?

lidspinner
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I am a fan of Rick Sweet. not sure if he can handle the pressure and make the right in game adjustments but he seems to know how to handle the players....I just dont think the front office will take a chance on an unproven guy if there are other options out there.....

but right now, I like what Dusty is doing....and I am as big a Dusty basher as it gets....but he is getting it done and he is making good adjustments to the lineup and not afraid to make the high risk calls that win games.....he is still tossing Gomes out there a little to much but some of that was because we are winning.

BAKER12
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
If I was Rick Sweet (I do not have a quality mustache like Rick) I would shoot for the Seattle job. He played there and the pressure will be zero taking over that mess.

The guy who replaces Dusty (I just have a hunch he will not take a one year deal) will have extreme pressure on him. Basically win the division in 2011 or your a failure will be the attitude of some.

As well, the Reds would take a pretty big public hit if they let Dusty (well repected and a contender for 2010 Manager Of The Year) walk and hire someone without any MLB experience.

In retrospect if Sweet was really their man, it should have been done in 2008 2009 when most folks felt the team was in a complete rebuild situation.

It's kind of a tough situation for the Reds front office. To hire an established guy you almost have to offer him more than one year (then people will say, why was dusty not offered the same) and if you go with Sweet, everything that goes wrong wil be blamed on having a rookie manager.

Kind of a no win situation for Dusty, Jocketty, Sweet and a lot of the fans that are growing attached to this team.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I wish Davey Johnson wasn't pushing 70. I think his age probably prohibits his interest in the job.

BAKER12
08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
There has got be a reason davey Johnson has not managed for quite a while. I always liked him with the Mets, Reds, Dodgers, Orioles. He did manage the Olympic team, so you gotta think he has an interest in managing. Just wonder what the deal is?

GIDP
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I think he liked managing the kids.

BAKER12
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I think he liked managing the kids.

Not to bring up bad stuff, but did he have some alcohol issues at one time? I probably would too if I had to manage that goofy bunch with the Mets.
Davey and Dusty were teammates in Atlanta. Johnson, Evans, Aaron all hit 40 homers one year in the 70's?

GIDP
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Plus I think managing USA baseball is a pretty good gig considering its basically a minor league team on the global level.

Kingspoint
08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
As much as I dislike Dusty.....

As much as I love Rick Sweet (have watched him manage in person for half a dozen years).....

Dusty deserves the extension.

Whether it's for 3, 4, or 5 years, he deserves it. They are currently 13 games better than their pythagorean, and a lot of that credit has to go to Dusty. While I think they could currently be 17 or 18 games under their pythagorean, it doesn't matter. Any Manager has got to be rewarded for getting a team 13 games better than their pythagorean at August 25th.

Kingspoint
08-26-2010, 03:21 AM
If I was Rick Sweet (I do not have a quality mustache like Rick) I would shoot for the Seattle job. He played there and the pressure will be zero taking over that mess.

I agree. There's no reason for him to wait out Dusty. It's time for him to interview for several positions around the league and to take one. While there are probably better jobs than the Seattle one (their farm system was abused by Bill Bavasi).

They will get a great 1st Round pick this coming June. Though they didn't have a 1st Round pick this last June, their 1st Pick #43 overall, Taijuan Walker, Pitcher, has a Plus-Fastball, great health, great physical size, and with those tools, the Mariners can work on that piece towards being one of their 25 players on the Major League Roster come 2013. Other players they can expect to be on that roster in 2013:

CF Franklin Gutierrez (age 30 in 2013 and still able to play Centerfield at a Gold Glove level)
RF Johermyn Chavez (age 24 in 2013 with 40-homerun capability, something the Mariners haven't had since they moved from the Kingdome to SafeCo Field).
LF Jabari Bash (age 23 in 2013 with excellent batting skills (no speed), but a possibility as a Utility Outfielder with the Mariners in 2013)
RF (their 2011 1st Round Draft pick.....should be a player with average and power, whether he's a High School prospect or College prospect).
3B Felipe Burin (age 21 in 2013 with great bat-eye coordination....only 18 K's this season in 280 Plate Appearances while batting (.295/.413/.440/.904). Grounded in only 2 Double-plays during those 262 balls-in-play. A+++ Baseball IQ.
2B Kyle Seager [age 25 in 2013, was their 3rd Round pick in 2009 and puts the ball in play...perfect for SafeCo Field. 174 Hits so far in 2010 at High-A (.345 AVG is 8th in the League this year).] 2nd Base is his best bet for the Majors as he doesn't have the power as an Outfielder nor the speed, but he is consistent enough Defensively to be an everyday 2nd Baseman.
SS Nick Franklin (2009 1st Round Draft pick of the Seattle Mariners has the speed, range, and athletic ability to play Shortstop everyday at the Major League level. MidWest League All-Star in 2010, Franklin is young enough to take every level one year at a time. A .942 OPS against Right-handers this season, Nick struggled with only a .548 OPS against Left-Handers. A .903 OPS post All-Star game should advance him into the California League with the High Desert Mavericks next season. I expect him to get through the California League (High-A), the Southern League (AA), and the Pacific Coast League during 2011 and 2012 so that he's ready to be on the regular 25-man roster in 2013.)
UI Ji-Man Choi (22 in 2013 out of Korea. Choi batted .366 in his first stint in Pro-ball (159 PA's) before being called up to High-A where he's currently batting .308. With fairly good plate discipline (36 K's in 183 PA's), OK speed (10 of 11 SB's) with great discipline on Defense (1 error for a .997 Fielding percentage), Choi is one to watch over the next two seasons (his age 20 and 21 years) to see if he can maintain these early signs of a Major League Professional attitude and work ethic. I'm projecting that he at least maintains enough of these qualities to earn himself a roster spot on the 25-man team in 2014, if not 2013.
1B Rich Poythress (If Choi doesn't earn the Starting gig at First Base in 2013 it may be because 2009 1st Round Draft pick Rich Poythress has it locked down. Poythress (age 25 in 2013) is currently batting (.310/.377/.572/.949) at High-Desert in the California League (A+). With 30 Doubles and 30 Homeruns this season, Poythress is displaying all signs of becoming that power First Baseman the Mariners will be looking for in 2013. With a .989 Fielding percentage last season and a .991 Fielding percentage this season, Rich appears to be able to handle the First Base position defensively at the Major League level. This will improve the Defense of the entire Mariners infield with a glove like this manning 1st Base. Bavasi's last draft pick looks to be a good one (along with his 2nd and 3rd Round picks from 2009).
C Blake Ochoa [Age 27 in 2013, Ochoa is currently tearing it up in 2010. Currently OPS-ing against Left-handers 1.076 and against Right-handers 1.003 with his current team (Clinton in the Midwest League), Blake also OPS'd .968 with his former team in 2010 (High Desert in the California League). Blake is showing signs that he could be the backup Catcher for the Mariners in 2013.]

The Mariners took pitching with 11 of their first 17 picks in the 2010 MLB draft. Some of that should show itself come 2013.

There's enough promise there that if the Mariners were to offer Rick Sweet a "guaranteed" 3-year contract, I would take it if I were him as he'd have a very good chance of producing a winning ball-club in 2013 (and then hope for the best after that).

SP King Felix will only be 27.

SP Doug Fister will only be 29 and has shown signs that he can pitch in the Majors (A WHIP of 1.259 through 189 IP in the Majors and a 2.74/1 K/BB ratio.) (.269/.309/.406/.715 overall) (.220/.253./.308/.561 in tie games and a .227/.244./.250/.494 in Late and Close Games shows that he just gets stronger as the games go on.) By 2013, he should be a solid 210+ IP #3 Starter for the Mariners.)

SP Michael Pineda (Age 24 in 2013, has already advanced to AAA Tacoma at the age of 21. While overcoming an injury from 2010 (only 47 IP in 2009 in 12 appearances (.0782 WHIP), Pineda has thrown for 135 Innings in 2010 matching the 138 Innings he threw in 2008 (1.041 WHIP). His Strikeout-to-Walk Ratio of 4.51-to-1 for 2010 is impressive at the AA and AAA levels. Michael is going to be knocking on the door to be a Starter for the Mariners in 2012 and should solidify himself as a Starter in 2013.)

SP Blake Beavan (2007 1st Round pick (Rangers) Blake Beavan has never shown the ability to strike people out on a consistent basis. Being traded to the Seattle Mariners may prove to be the best thing that could have happened to him. Commanding Cliff Lee type of control (68 BB's in 463 Minor League Innings), Beavan is the perfect type of pitcher to take advantage of the spacious confines of SafeCo Field. With 163+ Innings pitched each of the last two years, Blake is earning the reputation to be able to go out there every 5th Day and give a team a chance to win with 6 or 7 quality innings pitched. Put a good Defense behind him and he should be able to maintain a sub-4.00 ERA in the Majors. A full season at AAA in 2011 should prepare him for an up-and-down 2012 campaign before he takes over the #4 spot in the 2013 Mariners rotation.)

SP Brandol Perez (Only age 19 in 2013!!!, Perez is the M's top Lat Am prospect, led by a fastball-slider-curveball repertoire with a hard changeup on its way. The organization has him focusing more on the curveball now, both for the good of his arm and for the further development of what projects as the better of the two breaking balls. He's touched 88 mph but sits 83-86 and just turned 17 earlier this month. The Dominican native made five starts in 2010, including four over the final three weeks of the season when he fanned 28 batters in 21 innings of work. He did not allow an earned run during the same span. His fastball is generally straight but he gets good plane considering his high three-quarters arm slot. Despite lack of experience Perez grinds it with runners on base, a sign of maturity, and has a solid pickoff move. He's also a good athlete and fields his position well. His control and command are slightly below average, but that's typical for most 16 and 17-year-olds, foreign or domestic. He has good size and frame.)

Anyway, as you can see there is plenty of talent to look forward to in 2013 for any Manager to get excited about.....if he can land a guaranteed 3-year contract. It's not fair to ask any Manager to do anthing with the 2011, or even 2012 Seattle Mariners. They should again finish last in the Division both seasons. But, come 2013, they should be battling into September for a playoff spot.

demas863
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
There has got be a reason davey Johnson has not managed for quite a while. I always liked him with the Mets, Reds, Dodgers, Orioles. He did manage the Olympic team, so you gotta think he has an interest in managing. Just wonder what the deal is?

He's always been known as a guy who's got to have everthing his way with
no penchant for compromise. GM's don't like him.