PDA

View Full Version : ORG predictions & comments about the Cardinals

Number_Fourteen
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Is it just me, but are the "We're better than the Cardinals", or the "Reds will win the division by X number of games", threads getting a bit old? I've been following the Reds, like many here, for an awfully long time, and I am thoroughly enjoying this season with a bit of temperance, and knowledge that St. Louis has done extremely well over the past 10 years, and the Reds, not so.

To see threads, professing that the Cardinals are not that good, is a bit unnerving. And IMO, not befitting of a poster that has been welcomed into the elite, ORG.

As I see it, such thread titles, are pure shock value, and serve little purpose otherwise.

Today, there are predictions by which how many games the Reds will win the Central. Wasn't anything learned here by the Cardinals last visit into Cincy? Perhaps members with penchants to create such absurd threads (in the ORG especially), might consider getting back to analyzing things without making predictions loaded with such shock value. To me, it's borderline trash talk, and reminiscent of late '90's, AOL baseball chat/thread forums.

Caveman Techie
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
But I actually agree with alot of what is being said. The Cards have two great pitchers and two great position players. After that they are a bunch of AAAA utility players, and unfortunately for them they can't have Carp and Wainwright pitch on 1 day of rest. Garcia has been good up to this point, but even he is showing signs of fading now (except when he pitches against the Reds).

If the Cards don't start to win the games that Carp and Wainwright start they have no hope of hanging in the race for the playoffs let alone the division.

2010 has exposed the Cards for what they were, an aging team that fell prey to the injury bug, and with no salary room to maneuver to help them react. If they sign Pujlos it's just going to get worse (Griffey years for us) for them. I could be wrong, and Mo will be able to regroup after this year is over and pull a rabbit out of his hat, but that team was built by Walt, Mo just inherited a great team and since then he hasn't really done much to improve it he's just treaded water with the exception of Holliday.

Number_Fourteen
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
As do I, Redlegz. What I don't agree with, is how it's being said, most particularly in the titles. Undoubtedly, St. Louis has an aging team, salary issues, a few big stars, and a big drop off in talent thereafter. Indeed, I too believe that, top to bottom, the Reds stack up better. However, such can just be argued more on the analytical evidence and statistics, with less shock value and pomposity, at times.

Cant Touch This
08-18-2010, 09:45 PM
the elite, ORG.

:rolleyes:

But I digress...

The Reds got their keesters handed to them, at home, by the Cardinals, and have played .333 ball against them this season. I think the argument ends there. The Reds could very well win the NL Central because they are taking care of business against everyone outside of St. Louis whose home field isn't in the city of brotherly love.

The Reds may be a better team than the Cards, despite their head to head matchups that prove otherwise. I think the Reds are losing games to the Cards because of intangibles. Others may argue that intangibles are part of a team - such as leadership, maturity, and experience. I would agree with that, but why, then, do the Cards struggle against the Milwaukees and Chicagos of the NL who the Reds have clearly dominated?

In the end, predictions are worth nothing more than what the reader or listener wants to hear. Anything can happen between tonight and October, including injuries, white-hot streaks, dead-cold slumps, etc. If predictions meant anything, what's the point in playing out the rest of the season?

So after all this, it appears I agree with the original thought that predictions offer nothing more than shock value, for unless we all have our Magic 8 Balls tuned up, what the hell do we know?

"Ask again later."

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
As do I, Redlegz. What I don't agree with, is how it's being said, most particularly in the titles. Undoubtedly, St. Louis has an aging team, salary issues, a few big stars, and a big drop off in talent thereafter. Indeed, I too believe that, top to bottom, the Reds stack up better. However, such can just be argued more on the analytical evidence and statistics, with less shock value and pomposity, at times.

I hear what you are saying. The Cardinals are a talented team and may very well beat the Reds out in the end. But you should not underestimate the fun of calling the rival team a bunch of naughty poop-faces. I would not advocate the Phillips method, but on a fan forum - goodtimes!

Brisco
08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Is it just me, but are the "We're better than the Cardinals", or the "Reds will win the division by X number of games", threads getting a bit old? I've been following the Reds, like many here, for an awfully long time, and I am thoroughly enjoying this season with a bit of temperance, and knowledge that St. Louis has done extremely well over the past 10 years, and the Reds, not so.

To see threads, professing that the Cardinals are not that good, is a bit unnerving. And IMO, not befitting of a poster that has been welcomed into the elite, ORG.

As I see it, such thread titles, are pure shock value, and serve little purpose otherwise.

Today, there are predictions by which how many games the Reds will win the Central. Wasn't anything learned here by the Cardinals last visit into Cincy? Perhaps members with penchants to create such absurd threads (in the ORG especially), might consider getting back to analyzing things without making predictions loaded with such shock value. To me, it's borderline trash talk, and reminiscent of late '90's, AOL baseball chat/thread forums.

Sorry Fourteen.... I just posted a similar complaint in a new thread (the anti-jinx thread)... probably should have posted it here.

I, for one, think that trash talk should be left at gradeschool playgrounds and the NBA. In fact, I don't even like doing overall team to team comparisons. We can talk about the strengths and weaknesses of our team... Cards fans can do the same for theirs. Baseball already has an old fashioned way of doing divisional team vs team comparisons... its called win/loss record over a 162 game season.

Griffey012
08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with the OP, we should not get ahead of ourselves, as they just stomped on us a few games ago. If we beat the Cards and win the division then great, but let's not go along the way trying to make predictions and what not. They are the team to beat, cause they have had control over this division for a while now, not us. Let's not forget that.

Seņor Rojo
08-19-2010, 02:27 AM
I agree with the OP, we should not get ahead of ourselves, as they just stomped on us a few games ago. If we beat the Cards and win the division then great, but let's not go along the way trying to make predictions and what not. They are the team to beat, cause they have had control over this division for a while now, not us. Let's not forget that.

Agreed. The Reds are going to have to beat them in St. Louis in September if they want to win this division. I don't see either team running away with the division, so every game is going to count from here on out.

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Never count your chickens before they're hatched.

Never put the cart before the horse.

Never.............

....well, you get my drift.

gmt
08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't call the Cardinals an "aging" team. They have a few veterans but are largely a team full of younger players. If you mean aging like Pujols, Holliday, Carpenter, Westbrook, etc. then, yes, they have some "older" players. It's those same older players who are performing while the younger ones are not as well.

Edmonds is definitely aging. But he has provided some good returns for the Reds. Rolen, aging? yes. Look what he has done.

Funny how when the Cardinals swept the Reds there was gloom and doom from many Reds posters and gloating from Cardinals. Now the situation has reversed over the past few days. Both teams are streaky. The Cardinals seem to be more so. Don't discount anyone until the magic number to the playoffs is zero. The Cardinals have the talent to put togtehr a streak and win it all. The 3 games remaining will not determine the final outcome as much as the other 40+ games left to be played.

macro
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm reluctant to close a thread where good discussion is taking place, but threads that have the calling-out of the members of the other forum as their premise are not permitted. Nor are posts within other threads permitted that call out someone from the other forum or that criticize and/or ridicule their posts and opinions. The policy applies equally to the members of both forums.

The Sun Deck and ORG forums were separated to restrict baseball-related dialog between the two groups, and threads such as this (and the subsequent reactions to it in the ORG) are attempts to circumvent that restriction.