PDA

View Full Version : Votto out of the lineup again

Brutus
08-18-2010, 08:46 PM
John Fay says it's a back issue.

Jim Edmonds will be in his place for tonight's game.

Hoosier Red
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Again? The last day off when the team was playing was August 3rd. Although I suppose he did get a "day off" on Sunday.

Brutus
08-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Again? The last day off when the team was playing was August 3rd. Although I suppose he did get a "day off" on Sunday.

I'm not being terribly critical of him when I say he's been in and out of the lineup for a lot of different reasons the last two years.

Whether it's stress, ejections, injuries or normal rest, these days have been piling up. I don't think that's unfair to say.

bucksfan2
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm not being terribly critical of him when I say he's been in and out of the lineup for a lot of different reasons the last two years.

Whether it's stress, ejections, injuries or normal rest, these days have been piling up. I don't think that's unfair to say.

Joey Votto has played in 111 of 120 games this season. You would hope he gets a day off here or there so in reality he has missed 4-5 games this season because of the almighty stress and injuries.

This isn't a big issue.

edabbs44
08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Here's one thing seemingly lost in last night's euphoria. Hopefully it is nothing too serious, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get some time until he is 100%.

Screwball
08-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Joey Votto has played in 111 of 120 games this season. You would hope he gets a day off here or there so in reality he has missed 4-5 games this season because of the almighty stress and injuries.

This isn't a big issue.

Exactly. Votto slept wrong on a hotel mattress, so he'll miss a game or two. No need to make it sound worse than it is.

HeatherC1212
08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd rather Joey miss a game or two versus the D'Backs than miss a game or two against LA or SF later in this road trip. This team is finally learning how to win without Joey (and Scott Rolen when he's off) and I think that's a very good thing although I do hope Joey is back in the lineup soon.

RBA
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I'll like Votto to get another day off today. I believe Edmonds is getting locked in and would give him another chance today to capitalize on that as well as giving Votto needed rest before the rest of the trip.

redsfan30
08-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Count me in for wanting Votto to sit out again tonight and get the issue straightened out. Be as close to 100% tomorrow night in Los Angeles as possible.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

This isn't a big issue.

I don't think it's a big issue (yet). But it seems to be a repeating pattern, and if 111 games out of 120 starts becoming 105 games and then 100 games... you start to worry about that for good reason.

In reality, he's actually played in fewer than 111 games. He has been ejected twice in the first inning this year and was pulled on (at least) two occasions I can remember for various injuries early in the game.

Truth is, he's really played about 107 of 120 games--which is still by no means bad, but considering he's not even been on the DL and missed that many is pretty incredible.

Fortunately the Reds have gotten tremendous production out of Cairo (and last night Edmonds) in his place, so they've been able to withstand his absence. But I still think there's evidence now of a pattern emerging.