PDA

View Full Version : Chapman to be Called Up September 1st, Will Be Playoff Eligible

reds44
08-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Full article:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

The Reds had hoped to have Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman in majors by now. But they decided to give him more time in Triple-A.

Were going to wait until Sept. 1, Walt Jocketty said. That will give him a chance to stabilize in the bullpen and get more experience. Were trying to find the right time.

Chapman will be eligible for the playoffs.

We have two extra spots because we have two players on the 60-man disabled list, Jocketty said.

Edd Roush
08-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Great news!! I wonder why they are waiting for September 1st? Are there particular contract ramifications up until that point?

cincy09
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Great news!! I wonder why they are waiting for September 1st? Are there particular contract ramifications up until that point?

Rosters will expand.

Degenerate39
08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I thought players had to be called up before September 1st to be eligible for the playoffs?

Brutus
08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I thought players had to be called up before September 1st to be eligible for the playoffs?

They do, BUT...

Anyone on the DL on August 31 is also eligible for the postseason roster. And if they are unable to play in the postseason, they can be replaced by anyone in the minor league organization, provided the player was in the organization on August 31.

So since the Reds have two players that will not be participating in any potential playoff rounds, the Reds will use one of those spots to make Chapman eligible for the roster.

Screwball
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Full article:The Reds had hoped to have Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman in majors by now. But they decided to give him more time in Triple-A.

Were going to wait until Sept. 1, Walt Jocketty said. That will give him a chance to stabilize in the bullpen and get more experience. Were trying to find the right time.

Chapman will be eligible for the playoffs.

We have two extra spots because we have two players on the 60-man disabled list, Jocketty said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I guess Fay broke this key (http://www.wpclipart.com/computer/keyboard_keys/computer_key_Quotation_Marks.png) on his keyboard...

Edd Roush
08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Rosters will expand.

Haha, I knew that. I was just wondering if he wasn't coming up earlier because of some financial provision in his contract.

I guess they just don't want to send any one down to make room for him.

RedLegSuperStar
08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Hurts to have to wait that long because he can contribute right now. Scouts all say if he is on this team they'd distance themselves from the compitition.

The Voice of IH
08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
wait who is those two players? Harang and who? (Lincoln :confused:)

Brutus
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
wait who is those two players? Harang and who? (Lincoln :confused:)

Arredondo and Lincoln are on the 60-day DL.

Harang, Springer and Cabrera will also be eligible if they're kept on the 15-day DL until Sep. 1.

This would mean the Reds would be able to have 30 players (the 25-man roster and 5 DL guys) eligible for the postseason roster. The Reds could then pull anyone up from the minors who has been in the organization between August 31 and the playoffs to replace an injured player.

So the Reds could theoretically replace the two 60-day DL guys with Chapman and another pitcher of their choosing (it has to be a pitcher though).

11larkin11
08-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Arredondo and Lincoln are on the 60-day DL.

Harang, Springer and Cabrera will also be eligible if they're kept on the 15-day DL until Sep. 1.

This would mean the Reds would be able to have 30 players (the 25-man roster and 5 DL guys) eligible for the postseason roster. The Reds could then pull anyone up from the minors who has been in the organization between August 31 and the playoffs to replace an injured player.

So the Reds could theoretically replace the two 60-day DL guys with Chapman and another pitcher of their choosing (it has to be a pitcher though).

I would guess Burton and Chapman would be eligible, but they could surprise us and make it DRH

Joseph
08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
If he's not good enough to be on the 25 man roster now, why would he be good enough to be on the 25 man post season roster?

Brutus
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
If he's not good enough to be on the 25 man roster now, why would he be good enough to be on the 25 man post season roster?

That's not why they're doing it.

They just don't want to have to make a roster move on August 31 that won't have to be made on September 1 (when rosters expand). That's all it is.

Joseph
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
No no, I understand that. I'm asking that if they don't want to send out Smith or Ondrusek or Fisher then why should it be a big deal that he's post season eligible because barring an injury he's not going to be on the roster.

sabometrics
08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
No no, I understand that. I'm asking that if they don't want to send out Smith or Ondrusek or Fisher then why should it be a big deal that he's post season eligible because barring an injury he's not going to be on the roster.

That's just false. Given the choice between Fisher, Smith, Bray, or Chapman, Aroldis would get picked above one of the other three I'm sure (barring a horrible September performance - not likely imo). And that's not even considering the fact that all of the starters may/may not be kept on the roster. Aroldis could very well take Leake's or Wood's spot come playoff time depending on how they want to treat their innings.

WebScorpion
08-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Scouts all say if he is on this team they'd distance themselves from the compitition.
A 4 game change in standings in the past 4 days...mathematicians say it's impossible to gain distance any faster even if you add Cy Young. :D

reds44
08-19-2010, 02:00 AM
That's just false. Given the choice between Fisher, Smith, Bray, or Chapman, Aroldis would get picked above one of the other three I'm sure (barring a horrible September performance - not likely imo). And that's not even considering the fact that all of the starters may/may not be kept on the roster. Aroldis could very well take Leake's or Wood's spot come playoff time depending on how they want to treat their innings.
Yup. Chapman will be on the roster before Fisher or Smith for sure.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 02:15 AM
I can't wait to watch Chapman pitch. He's been dominating the competition in Triple-A lately - In his last 15 appearances spanning 16.2 innings, Chapman has a 1.08 ERA and has walked only five batters while striking out 27 batters. I've been reading some of the comments made by people on twitter and our minor league board who have watched him pitch in person and they all have nothing but great things to say about him. Apparently he was buckling knees with his mid 80's slider a few nights ago. I was extremely excited about the major league debuts of Jay Bruce, Adam Dunn, and Joey Votto. I would have to say my excitement for Chapman is on that same level.

I hope Chapman isn't the only call up we see on September 1st, I think there are a few others in Louisville who can help the Reds - namely Yonder Alonso Juan Francisco who can provide some power from the left side. Also, Jared Burton and Matt Maloney and a couple others.

sabometrics
08-19-2010, 02:59 AM
I hope Chapman isn't the only call up we see on September 1st, I think there are a few others in Louisville who can help the Reds - namely Yonder Alonso Juan Francisco who can provide some power from the left side. Also, Jared Burton and Matt Maloney and a couple others.

Chapman and Francisco are locks in my mind. With Francisco up there isn't too much of a need for Alonso so he'll stay down until the AAA playoffs are over with. Valaika and Burton also have a shot of being called up after the playoffs, maybe Herrera if he finishes strong, but I doubt it.

MikeS21
08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
I must be the only one who wonders what all the hoopla is about when it comes to bringing Chapman to Cincinnati?

He's not going to start games. He's not going to close games. Other than being a glorified situational lefty with an extreme live arm that he can't control, I don't see why scouts think he is a "game changer."

I don't think major league hitters are going to be as impressed with his wild 100 mph fastball as we are.

reds1869
08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
I must be the only one who wonders what all the hoopla is about when it comes to bringing Chapman to Cincinnati?

He's not going to start games. He's not going to close games. Other than being a glorified situational lefty with an extreme live arm that he can't control, I don't see why scouts think he is a "game changer."

I don't think major league hitters are going to be as impressed with his wild 100 mph fastball as we are.

Ubaldo Jimenez says :wave:

membengal
08-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Mike, I don't think the bolded part is true at this point, the scouts and others in the Reds organization and the numbers show that Chapman has found a whole bunch of control in the last month.

If so, then with his stuff, and make no mistake, he has way more than just a fastball, he is an intriguing hammer to have in the bullpen for whatever situations might be needed come October. Again, see under David Price in 2008 in Tampa...

buckeyenut
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
We have a bunch of guys (Francisco, Chapman, Izzy (or was), Springer, Alonso, Frazier) that could play with the ML right now. But none of them have been with the team lately, so that is iffy. They will all come up Sept 1, but waiting until then and keeping the DL guys on the DL until then gives us the flexibility to make decisions when we have more information. We can bring them up and see how they do against MLers and decide what the best fit is for the playoffs with more flexibility and options.

REDblooded
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Ubaldo Jimenez says :wave:

So did KRod when called up during the Angels run...

So did Price when called up for TB...

Brutus
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
So did KRod when called up during the Angels run...

So did Price when called up for TB...

Yup. I was just going to ask Mike if he watched the Tampa-Philadelphia World Series two years ago. If he did, David Price was exhibit A of a "game changer."

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
After Bill Bray's struggles tonight, anyone else think the Reds should consider optioning Bray to Louisville and bringing up Chapman, and then bringing Bray back on September 1st? I'm a Bill Bray fan as some of you may know, but the Reds need another reliable lefty in the pen and I'm not sure if you can count on Bray to be that guy right now.

The Operator
08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
After Bill Bray's struggles tonight, anyone else think the Reds should consider optioning Bray to Louisville and bringing up Chapman, and then bringing Bray back on September 1st? I'm a Bill Bray fan as some of you may know, but the Reds need another reliable lefty in the pen and I'm not sure if you can count on Bray to be that guy right now.

Was just about to post the same thing. Bray was pretty underwhelming tonight, His stuff was flat, he lacked control and he was (obviously) very hittable.

The way Chapman is throwing the ball, I don't see why they're waiting until September. Swap Bray for Chapman and then bring Bray back in September.

mth123
08-20-2010, 01:05 AM

:thumbup:

I've been thinking this for a while. Bray is OK as a loogy I guess, but Chapman has potential for more.

sabometrics
08-20-2010, 03:38 AM
I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancelor Bray!