PDA

View Full Version : Mesoraco hits grand slam walk-off

double2gap
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Devon Mesoraco, in his first AAA game went 2-4, with a double and a 9th inning grand slam to win the game. In his first two ABs he looked over matched, as he struck out both times. However, he must have had "butterflies", because in his third AB he hit a rope to right for a double. The 9th inning blast went about 400 ft on a 3-2 count. I'll see him again tomorrow night. We'll see how he follows up this big night!!!

bagz
08-18-2010, 11:00 PM
That's a great first game!!!:thumbup:

wojo1025
08-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Was listening to the end of that game on the radio - heard he was coming up and thought "wouldn't this be a perfect ending to his AAA debut"!!! That's exciting baseball - Janish tried to play along for the big league club too

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Could this impact Hernandez's option being picked up next year?

I don't think so, but just thought I'd ask. I still think they'll want Mez to spend next season in triple A instead of rushing him to the big leagues.

Captain13
08-19-2010, 07:59 AM
2012 Hanigan and Morasco behind the plate. We will have the best catching duo in baseball!!!

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
2012 Hanigan and Morasco behind the plate. We will have the best catching duo in baseball!!!

Possibly.

Can't wait to see how Mez develops at Louisville next year.

double2gap
08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with you Votto, I think Mes will be in AAA next year, unless he has a huge spring training. I am at almost all of Louisville's home games and I Jockety there when the Reds are out town. I was surprised that I did not see him last night. He may have been there, but not in the stands. Both of Mesoraco's hits were to the opposite field. The double was a hard line drive type hit and the home run was blast. One other note about the game, Jerry Gil looked very impressive in his inning of relief. He struck out the side, which is impressive, but he showed three solid pitches at three different speeds. His fastball was in the mid 90s, then his slider was in mid 80s and an offspeed pitch in the mid 70s. He had hitters guessing and swinging wildly.

batsfan
08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
One other note about the game, Jerry Gil looked very impressive in his inning of relief. He struck out the side, which is impressive, but he showed three solid pitches at three different speeds. His fastball was in the mid 90s, then his slider was in mid 80s and an offspeed pitch in the mid 70s. He had hitters guessing and swinging wildly.

I also was at the game, and was also impressed by Gil. I thought he would not be able to come anywhere close to the strike zone, but that was not the case. I am still skeptical though, he walked 53 in 56 AA innings, and that lack of control can't just disappear.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Still think Mez is a year away. Grandal is probably 2. Hernandez won't be here much longer, but Hanigan will.

Amazing that we actually have catching depth in this system.

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Still think Mez is a year away. Grandal is probably 2. Hernandez won't be here much longer, but Hanigan will.

Yeah, never thought I'd see starting pitching depth either.

The worm has definitely turned for the Cincinnati Reds.

couch_manager
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Where did the offensive outburst come from this year? I know he was a first round pick, but he looked to be a bust. Is he on some performance enhancing drugs or has something just clicked?

GIDP
08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Where did the offensive outburst come from this year? I know he was a first round pick, but he looked to be a bust. Is he on some performance enhancing drugs or has something just clicked?

he was injured, and way always playing a level higher than he should have been based on age. He always had solid K and BB rate. The issue was his power was down.

He gets power and basically is the same hitter. Now hes a stud. Injuries and getting older is probably the biggest 2 factors.

couch_manager
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
he was injured, and way always playing a level higher than he should have been based on age. He always had solid K and BB rate. The issue was his power was down.

He gets power and basically is the same hitter. Now hes a stud. Injuries and getting older is probably the biggest 2 factors.

:thumbup: Thanks!

double2gap
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
batsfan, I didn't realize he was so wild in AA, he is also a little older most AA players. However, if he somehow turns the corner with his control, he has some nasty stuff. He arm speed was very good and hard to tell his offspeed from his fastball. Like Mesoraco, we'll need hold off on any declarations until they play a few more AAA games, but so far I like what I see.

New York Red
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Pitching depth and catching depth. Amazing indeed.

It's fun to be a Reds fan again. :thumbup:

batsfan
08-19-2010, 04:30 PM
batsfan, I didn't realize he was so wild in AA, he is also a little older most AA players. However, if he somehow turns the corner with his control, he has some nasty stuff. He arm speed was very good and hard to tell his offspeed from his fastball. Like Mesoraco, we'll need hold off on any declarations until they play a few more AAA games, but so far I like what I see.

Have you seen Jeremy Horst yet? If so, what do you think of him?

double2gap
08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Only the one game, he looked ok, but his stuff wasn't eye opening. I think he was having an off night. Once he gets a better feel for AAA, I am looking forward to seeing how his approach to the hitters change. Looking at his stats, I like the fact that his K/BB ratio is very strong. Lets see if he can carry that over to a league with stronger hitters.

GOYA
08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Have you seen Jeremy Horst yet? If so, what do you think of him?

Haven't seen him in person yet but he had a rough inning night before last. Had to call in Chapman for the final out.

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Horst 0.2 2 1 1 1 1 0 3.38

gedred69
08-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Don't we currently already have the best catching duo in Baseball?!

dougdirt
08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Lynchburg is up 5-4. Cody Puckett hit a 3 run bomb (14) and Neftali Soto is 2-2.

batsfan
08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
nm, wrong thread

KYRedsFan
08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
He had another GS last night. Huge blast that cleared the seats in left field. Serious power display.