PDA

View Full Version : Brad Hawpe receiving outright release

Brutus
08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
after tonight, according to Troy Renke of the Denver Post.

Interesting. He cleared waivers today, so I figured the Rockies would first try to find a taker for him. They must have found none. Now they will have to pay the rest of his salary (minus the prorated league minimum) even if someone signs him.

The Reds neither have room at the inn or a need for him, but I do wonder where he'll land. I actually think the White Sox might be a good spot for him.

RedsManRick
08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
He'll make a nice DH somewhere.

Orenda
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
The Reds neither have room at the inn or a need for him, but I do wonder where he'll land. I actually think the White Sox might be a good spot for him.

I don't understand how the reds wouldn't be at least interested in a guy who has a career OPS vs righties of .894, especially considering they wouldn't have to take on his contract.

Brutus
08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't understand how the reds wouldn't be at least interested in a guy who has a career OPS vs righties of .894, especially considering they wouldn't have to take on his contract.

He's really bad defensively for one, and they already are carrying 6 outfielders on the roster as is. There's simply no room for him.

REDblooded
08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
He's really bad defensively for one, and they already are carrying 6 outfielders on the roster as is. There's simply no room for him.

Gomes waves hello

Orenda
08-18-2010, 11:43 PM

yeah i know. But i guess I'd take Hawpe's offense over Laynce Nix when you consider that the Reds would still have Heisey, Edmonds, Bruce, and Stubbs as good defenders on the roster.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Up until this year, he was one of the most underrated players in the majors. I don't know if his problems are injury related or not, but I don't agree with the move. If the Rockies could hold on to him for 12 more days, they could presumably use him when the rosters expand to 40. They're only 6 games out of the wild card, he may very well discover his swing, and if not, he could help them off the bench. The Reds are not the fit for him.

Mario-Rijo
08-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Smells like a St. Louis possibility they could use the offense in the OF. Replacing Nick Stavinoha with that LH bat makes a world of sense.

Tom Servo
08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow, I'm shocked the Rox would just cut him like that after all those productive years.

pedro
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Up until this year, he was one of the most underrated players in the majors. I don't know if his problems are injury related or not, but I don't agree with the move. If the Rockies could hold on to him for 12 more days, they could presumably use him when the rosters expand to 40. They're only 6 games out of the wild card, he may very well discover his swing, and if not, he could help them off the bench. The Reds are not the fit for him.

He's doing really well at home too. It's his road OPS that is the problem.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
He's doing really well at home too. It's his road OPS that is the problem.

In '10 I agree. From 07-09 his road OPS was .862 and probably significantly higher against righty pitchers. I'd be very curious to see a list of major league players who were better over that span. Most people would be surprised at the quality of names on the list.

He has a complicated swing, which his hitting coaches have never been able to help him with, and being part of a 5-man outfield rotation (soon to be 6-man) has not helped him break out of his slump.

It was very generous of the Rox to let him become a free agent, yet still be on the hook for the rest of his 2010 salary. Bad business move though. It could really come back to bite them, especially if he's claimed by a team they're chasing in the wild card.

pedro
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
In '10 I agree. From 07-09 his road OPS was .862 and probably significantly higher against righty pitchers. I'd be very curious to see a list of major league players who were better over that span. Most people would be surprised at the quality of names on the list.

He has a complicated swing, which his hitting coaches have never been able to help him with, and being part of a 5-man outfield rotation (soon to be 6-man) has not helped him break out of his slump.

It was very generous of the Rox to let him become a free agent, yet still be on the hook for the rest of his 2010 salary. Bad business move though. It could really come back to bite them, especially if he's claimed by a team they're chasing in the wild card.

Oh I agree. My point was the guy is still raking at home, he's got to be of some use when rosters expand....

Gallen5862
08-19-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Hawpe projects to be a Type A free agent, but draft pick compensation isn't necessarily a factor, since the Rockies would have to offer arbitration to get any picks. Just under $2MM of Hawpe's $7.5MM salary remains this year and there's a $500K buyout for the team's $10.15MM option for next season.

Gallen5862
08-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Would it be worth it for the Reds to pick Hawpe up for the remainder of the year? The Rockies would be on the hook for either the 500k Buyout or the $10.15MM team option for 2011. At the worst the Reds could possibly offer him arbitration and try to receive draft picks if his option was bought out.