View Full Version : Johnny Gomes

NorrisHopper30
08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Strike out or pop up every single time.

Just trying to un-jinx him.

No, but seriously. Get rid of him..now.

NeilHamburger
08-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I said it in the games thread. But when Cabrera comes back I'd love for Gomes to go. Before anyone says it, I know it won't happen.

Kiko
08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
He was 8 for 17 against Lopez (something like that) going into the game tonight. Good time to start him but he has been struggling so bad and 3 pop ups tonight against Lopez should tell Dusty that Gomes needs to sit for awhile and let Heisey get Gomes AB's.

NorrisHopper30
08-18-2010, 11:14 PM
And there's another reason to dump him...put Heisey out there every day at least he can defend.

NorrisHopper30
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
And there's another reason, no range or natural instinct. Thank you Johnny for proving my point.

mu4103
08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Heisey or platoon him with Edmonds. Gomes has nearly a 50 point difference in batting average split playing against lefties vs. righties.

Vottomatic
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
He was a big part of the June improvement. Management isn't going to discard popular guys who have contributed.

And other guys have had slumps. Gomes is in a slump. They will let him work his way out of it.

But I agree. Let Heisey play more.

BurgervilleBuck
08-18-2010, 11:29 PM
You guys are only looking at his bat. To me, Gomes' slump isn't worth waiting out when you consider his defense. There were his misplays last week with the Cards and the series of blunders he perpetrated in tonight's game in AZ.

NorrisHopper30
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
He was a big part of the June improvement. Management isn't going to discard popular guys who have contributed.

And other guys have had slumps. Gomes is in a slump. They will let him work his way out of it.

He's not in a slump. He's in a decline to reality, and is regressing to his career #s..and he's almost there. It's going to stay this way. He was just in a huge hot streak earlier in the year.

NorrisHopper30
08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Gomes pulled for Nix!

TStuck
08-18-2010, 11:44 PM
He's not in a slump. He's in a decline to reality, and is regressing to his career #s..and he's almost there. It's going to stay this way. He was just in a huge hot streak earlier in the year.

It is painfully apparent that this is reality. I think we all hoped and prayed that his hot May was a sign of a new and improved Gomes, but the last 2 months regression to career norm have made it clear that May was an aberration (a great one that we're all extremely thankful for, but an aberration nonetheless). He could conceivably catch fire again, but continuing to play him now is like quitting your job to play the lotto - you have a theoretical chance to hit the million, but chances are you'll go bust.

I love Jonny's energy and fire, but energy and fire alone does not justify getting your name pencilled into the lineup on a regular basis.

LeDoux
08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
When he was signed, I thought the idea was that Gomes was going to be part of a platoon in LF. Since that great May he won the job full time. It made sense to play him while he was hot, but it is too bad it took a night like tonight to re-evaluate that starting role. I like watching Gomes play. I'm glad he is on the team. But playing him every day does not compute.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I like Gomes as a role player but his bat has slipped for 3 straight months. you gotta start putting him back as a platoon that only plays against lefties, and give Heisey more starts in LF. I wish Gomes could be the .900 OPS bat some wish he was but he swings too much and over a larger period of time he just ends up being the same mid .700 OPS bat.

Good guy, great player to have on your team, but no where near worthy of starting to much especially against RH pitching. Sorry to see his season go down the drain but his bat is what keeps him in the league, and until its fixed you just cant afford to keep him out there.

texasdave
08-19-2010, 01:14 AM
When he was signed, I thought the idea was that Gomes was going to be part of a platoon in LF. Since that great May he won the job full time. It made sense to play him while he was hot, but it is too bad it took a night like tonight to re-evaluate that starting role. I like watching Gomes play. I'm glad he is on the team. But playing him every day does not compute.

This. If you want him to get 3 ABs against lefties and then pull him for defensive purposes or PH against lefthanders that is fine. Then Jonny Gomes can have value. Starting him nearly everyday isn't gonna work though.

Boston Red
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I think Owings would be a better everyday leftfielder than Gomes. (Not that he would have been good, mind you)

08-19-2010, 01:36 AM
It won't happen, but I would like to see Gomes be the next guy who goes when they need to make room on the 40 man roster.

He'll pass through waivers. He's barely a replacement level player as of right now.

And if the Reds make the playoffs, he should not make the postseason roster.

couch_manager
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
I hate to say it, but Gomes has become a real weakness. But I'm not going to throw him under the bus just yet. He carried us for quite a while early in the season. Chris Welsh mentioned during the broadcast that he has some sort of physical issue going on right now that's causing him to pop balls up. If that's the case, why isn't he on the DL?

Old NDN
08-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I have been a big Gomes advocate, and was glad they re-signed him for this season. But, I thought it was with the idea of a platoon, pinch hitter role. Ride him if he got hot. Well, that happened 2 months ago. I'm not ready to dump him. But it's time for more Hisey, Stubbs, Edmonds, Bruce, Nix combos.

Griffey012
08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Don't you all know we have to give regular AB's to the worst player in the MLB? CPatt, Willy T, now Gomes.

In all seriousness outside of the month of May between his .700 OPS and horrid defense he has to be the worst regular in baseball.

For a while in the season I was defending Gomes in that his defense wasn't as bad as the advanced metrics stated, but now I think they were just making spot on predictions that he in fact does have 2 left feet, can't control a throw, and struggles to catch the ball.

Here is something I don't get with Gomes...early in the season he was shortening up with 2 strikes and punching the ball to right field A LOT. This is why a lot of people were thinking we were seeing a new Gomes. Now he has reverted to the old Gomes who just pulls off of everything while trying to hit a 12 run home run.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
It could have been that Gomes wasnt shortening up the swing and the balls just fell in instead of popped up. Or he still is shortening up and teams adjusted and throw balls farther out of the zone than before knowing that he will swing.

Trace's Daddy
08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Sometimes bench time cures slumps. If anything just platoon Nix and Edmonds in left until Gomes gets his bat back as a PH.

DocRed
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow, the Gomes bashing has reached epic proportions here. Clearly he is in a major funk, and his defense has been quite subpar, but we've known that for a while. He needs to sit at least a few consecutive games, maybe come in as a PH. I think alot of his troubles are mental right now. I still think in the right situation platoon etc he can be a productive player.

texasdave
08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
On July 19th Jonny Gomes blasted his 99th career home run. He had 2111 PA at the time, averaging a home run every 21.3 PA at that point in his career. He has now gone 91 PA since his last round tripper. Number 100 seems to be inside his head.

redssince75
08-19-2010, 10:27 AM
If anything just platoon Nix and Edmonds in left

Platoon 2 lefthanders? Is that within the meaning of the word "platoon"?

Chris Welsh mentioned during the broadcast that he has some sort of physical issue going on right now that's causing him to pop balls up.

I checked the Physician's Desk Reference and couldn't find anything with this symptom. A new syndrome? johnnygomespopupitis?

Trace's Daddy
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Platoon 2 lefthanders? Is that within the meaning of the word "platoon"?

Oh yeah, hahaa nevermind. I was fixated on getting 40 year old Edmonds out of centerfield for Heisey/Stubbs.

arkimadee
08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
hey everyone.. wish happy anniversary to Johnny Gomes.. it's been 1 month since homer number 99.. LETS CELEBRATE BY GOING DEEP TONIGHT JOHNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

likemenow
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
he brings absolutely nothing to the table its time for him to go.
those pitches he popped up last night were hangers right down the middle CPat could have given them a ride and dont get me started on his defense. lets just say it isnt up to par for a team trying to clinch a playoff spot

New York Red
08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

This ^^^^.

I'd hate to completely give up on a guy who was so instrumental in getting the team to where it is at this point. Gomes was HUGE the first half of the season. Lets not forget that.

BurgervilleBuck
08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Bench time and maybe some readjustments might help Gomes but I wouldn't use him beyond being a bat off the bench.

bagz
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I love his intensity but right now he's a defensive liability. The question has to be asked are we helping or hindering our chances of winning with him in the lineup even in a platoon role. He did help us get to where we are now. We're in a pennant race for the first time in a decade. If he needs to go on the DL then those steps need to be taken. I think he should come off the bench as a pinch hitter, get his 100 home run and then some, and go to the ballpark early to take extra fielding practice to try and get a spot as a platoon player.

Kiss the Baby00
08-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I am and have been the biggest Gomes supporter. I think its his time to sit the bench. I wouldnt be shocked if he was DFAd when Ocab comes back. Sorry Jonny but every outfielder we have is better than you right now. Watching him fall down and kick the ball around in the Cards series was enough for me.

LF Heisey/Nix
CF Stubbs/Edmonds
RF Bruce

The #1 thing that is pissing me off about signing Edmonds is that they seem to have forgotten that every time he is given the chance Heisey performs.