PDA

View Full Version : I love this team

Brutus
08-19-2010, 02:03 AM
I admit it. I'm now completely giddy over this bunch. The 1999 team did it to me. The 1990 team obviously did it (though I was a youngin'). But this one has the makings of a fun group to watch.

They (usually) do the little things. They hustle. They like each other. They play good defense. Good pitching. Good hitting. Good managing (even if I'm not a Dusty fan, I'll give him his props). This is a good baseball team. Talent. Chemistry. Intangibles. Clutch. Whatever it is they seem to have it.

It's not without issues. But most of the issues are correctable, upgradable and not major red flags.

May this team get to the playoffs and provide for an entertaining few weeks (or more).

oregonred
08-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Unbelievable to watch this comeback after the Gomes/Volquez 5th inning meltdown. 18-over .500 and easily a top-5 win on the season.

NDRed
08-19-2010, 02:14 AM
And they should be better next year with a strong AAA team and developing pitchers.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 02:15 AM
And they should be better next year with a strong AAA team and developing pitchers.

I think that's partly why it's so exciting--there's genuine talent coming up the pipes and this doesn't feel like a one-year wonder.

VR
08-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I admit it. I'm now completely giddy over this bunch. The 1999 team did it to me. The 1990 team obviously did it (though I was a youngin'). But this one has the makings of a fun group to watch.

They (usually) do the little things. They hustle. They like each other. They play good defense. Good pitching. Good hitting. Good managing (even if I'm not a Dusty fan, I'll give him his props). This is a good baseball team. Talent. Chemistry. Intangibles. Clutch. Whatever it is they seem to have it.

It's not without issues. But most of the issues are correctable, upgradable and not major red flags.

May this team get to the playoffs and provide for an entertaining few weeks (or more).

You need to listen to Cowherd and curb your enthusiasm. :eek:

oregonred
08-19-2010, 02:18 AM
+93 RS/RA

Finally overtook the Cardinals tonight (+91)

And Wood on the hill to go for the sweep. Good deal.

reds44
08-19-2010, 02:19 AM
I can't express into words how much I love this team. It's amazing. What a bunch of studs.

WebScorpion
08-19-2010, 02:20 AM
That was a fantastic game tonight, eh? Here's the thing I remember about the Big Red Machine...those guys never quit. I saw them win games in the bottom of the ninth when they were down 4 or 5 runs. They'd give up 2 runs in the top of the 11th and come back and score 3 in the bottom half. And it was not always Pete, Johnny, Joe, Tony, or George... sometimes it was Griffey, Geronimo, Concepcion, Plummer, Flynn, Armbrister, and others. It was crazy, but whoever came up with the game on the line came through and if they didn't, someone else picked them up later...it happened over and over. They taught me that anything is possible in baseball.

This team has that same quality. They believe it's just as easy to score with two outs as it is with none. They believe in themselves and especially each other...and none of them ever gives up. Not until the last out is called and then they forget today and come out to give it their all again tomorrow. It's a Reds fan's dream come true. :beerme: Enjoy!!

Brutus
08-19-2010, 02:20 AM
You need to listen to Cowherd and curb your enthusiasm. :eek:

LOL Colin doesn't even believe what he says.

oregonred
08-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Does anyone else like to go to mlb.com or espn.com and just look at the standings page for a couple of minutes...

Cincinnati 69-51 W5
St Louis 65-53 L4

Sweet Dreams

redsfan30
08-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Sure is a lot of fun isn't it? As an aside, Marty was an absolute joy to listen to on the radio tonight. I decided to turn my radio on in bed while I closed my eyes and enjoyed it an awful lot. There is an excitement in his voice we haven't heard in a long time.

Man this is a great feeling!

kbrake
08-19-2010, 02:30 AM
According to Cowherd tonight doesn't even count. "Arizona are you kiddine me? Have you seen Arizona? Arizona is a dumpster fire. Geesh."

reds44
08-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Sure is a lot of fun isn't it? As an aside, Marty was an absolute joy to listen to on the radio tonight. I decided to turn my radio on in bed while I closed my eyes and enjoyed it an awful lot. There is an excitement in his voice we haven't heard in a long time.

Man this is a great feeling!
Agreed. My internet in the hotel is really crappy, so instead of watching on MLB.tv I listened to it on Gameday Audio. The majority of Marty I've head since I became a Reds fan is grumpy Marty. Him and Brantley were an absolute joy to listen to tonight.

I'm listening to the postgame show as we speak.

kbrake
08-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Does anyone else like to go to mlb.com or espn.com and just look at the standings page for a couple of minutes...

Cincinnati 69-51 W5
St Louis 65-53 L4

Sweet Dreams

Not kidding I look at it every night on the blackberry before I go to sleep.

VR
08-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Great quotes in the postgame by Edmonds, talking about working w/ Bruce on being too "jumpy" up there. Very good, very good.

Cicero
08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
I finally broke down and got the MLB package today. I am so glad I did. One of my top 10 favorite Reds wins of all time. I don't know where this ride will end but it is a fun one so far.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Great quotes in the postgame by Edmonds, talking about working w/ Bruce on being too "jumpy" up there. Very good, very good.

That is one of the absolute best reasons why these Rolen & Edmonds trades have been no-brainer moves. The "intangible" and "experience" aspect of baseball does matter. It's not quantifiable, but it does matter.

oregonred
08-19-2010, 02:38 AM
That is one of the absolute best reasons why these Rolen & Edmonds trades have been no-brainer moves. The "intangible" and "experience" aspect of baseball does matter. It's not quantifiable, but it does matter.

Absolutely. Stubbs + Bruce development is a big key to the next 3-4 years.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 02:40 AM
I can't even begin to describe how much I love this team. Tonight's win, for me, is possibly the best win of the season. Down 7-3 in the 8th inning and they battled back to win 11-7 after it appeared to be over. This team is amazing. Baseball is fun, but it's so much more exciting when the team you root for is good. This team is so fun to watch. I can't wait to go back to Cincinnati in September to watch them play again.

RedsManRick
08-19-2010, 02:40 AM
It's so awesome to have a roster of 25 guys who belong. Top end talent is obviously great, but we've been talking for years about how weak the bottom half of the roster is. Not this year. The "veteran" role players like Nix, Cairo and Janish have all stepped up. Top prospects like Stubbs and Wood are role players. Phillips has upped his game. Bruce is showing flashes again. Our MVP candidate is out and we still score 11 runs. We picked up Edmonds for a spare part who wasn't going to be used. Everybody on the pitching staff actually belongs in the majors and there are at least 3 guys in AAA who deserve to be. Bottom line is this is the most talented team I can remember, by far, since 1999. It sure is fun to not only be winning but to feel like it's for real. It's been awhile.

RedsManRick
08-19-2010, 02:43 AM

That's one of the best examples I've heard in awhile about a veteran player having a real tangible impact on another players' performance. Edmonds is a great role model for Bruce. They're very similar players in some ways.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 02:47 AM
That's one of the best examples I've heard in awhile about a veteran player having a real tangible impact on another players' performance. Edmonds is a great role model for Bruce. They're very similar players in some ways.

Yeah what was funny about the timing of the quote was that someone mentioned his potential affect on Bruce in the game chat. So it's awesome to hear, lo and behold, that he is having an impact.

It's great though. The Reds have talent, but they have the chemistry, intangibles, work ethic, experience and desire to go with it. Baseball is a long, long season and if there's a bunch of guys lacking talent or that don't get along together, it can be a miserable experience for fans to withstand.

To have young, talented players being guided by (talented) veteran leaders is great to see.

Cicero
08-19-2010, 02:51 AM

MLB extra innings had the Arizona feed tonight and Mark Grace was talking about that as well. He pointed out that the respective home runs were the same pitch and that Edmonds would be a great teacher for all of our young players.

I can't believe i used ot hate that guy so much. :)

Mark Grace also said we would win NL Central.

oregonred
08-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Mark Grace also said we would win NL Central.

No sense playing the games then. ;)

How do we get the playoff tix?

Cicero
08-19-2010, 02:55 AM
No sense playing the games then. ;)

How do we get the playoff tix?

I am not saying we will or we won't, but it was nice to hear someone from another organization say nice things about our team. He also said during the second part of the big rally that the Reds were showing the Diamondbacks what championship baseball looks like. That is really nice to hear from a guy that won a world series relatively recently.

Playadlc
08-19-2010, 03:04 AM

Cincinnati 69-51 W5
St Louis 65-53 L4

Sweet Dreams

Haha...this is great. I do this all the time.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 03:08 AM
I am not saying we will or we won't, but it was nice to hear someone from another organization say nice things about our team. He also said during the second part of the big rally that the Reds were showing the Diamondbacks what championship baseball looks like. That is really nice to hear from a guy that won a world series relatively recently.

Someone is saying that about the Reds. Really strange to hear. Let that sink in, LOL.

Cicero
08-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Someone is saying that about the Reds. Really strange to hear. Let that sink in, LOL.

lol I rewound it like three times on my dvr just to hear it again. I am kind of hoping they have the D-backs feed again tomorrow.

RFS62
08-19-2010, 07:18 AM

Wow.

Who knew?

:)

redsmetz
08-19-2010, 07:21 AM

This has to be made into a Visa ad: Priceless!

membengal
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Giddy.

BCubb2003
08-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Edmonds still reminds me of Roger Dorn, but if he really is helping the young guys, that's great.

membengal
08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Just re-checked...yup, still giddy.

Screwball
08-19-2010, 09:12 AM
You guys have no idea how badly I'm kicking myself. I stayed up late (for me anyway) until the D-Backs took the 7-3 lead on the LaRoche homerun, and then I turned off the game in disgust, pouting until I fell asleep.

This morning I hesitantly waded into last night's game thread (those things can get nasty during a loss) not expecting much, only to see jubilant reactions as the Reds put up back to back 4 spots in the late innings to come all the way back from the aforementioned deficit.

Now I'm reading multiple posters mention multiple times this is one of the, if not THE, best Reds win of the season, and how much we all love this team, and I missed it. I guess that'll teach me to never underestimate just how incredibly awful the 'Backs bullpen is, and just how good this team is throughout the whole 25 man roster.

Great win last night, even if I didn't see the part where we, you know, won. :)

OesterPoster
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I was close to turning it off too. I shut the computer down and left the game thread, but I stayed up to watch...just because this team is different. Last year, the year before, or any other year in the previous decade...I go to bed. But this is our year.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Shoot, I missed the end of the game too. Young hit a HR to put the Dbacks up 5-3 and I decided to pack it in. I was .... tired. Looks like I'll be up late for the rest of the road trip.

This is what being a baseball fan is all about. I'm glad the young 'un Reds fans are finally getting to experience all this. It is such a gas.

(and not to be a wet blanket, but don't let your highs get too high or your lows get too low, this team will hit a ditch before the end of the season and will have to battle out of it)

Caveat Emperor
08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Everybody on the pitching staff actually belongs in the majors and there are at least 3 guys in AAA who deserve to be.

This line really hit home for me.

For the first time in what seems like an eternity there is no pitcher I'm dreading in the rotation. I'm not looking at a 3 game series and thinking "Well, they have to win the first two, because Haynes/Hamilton/Fogg/Williams/Etc. isn't picking up a rubber match." There's no guy in the bullpen who I'm cursing as he walks to the mound. I mean, when Francisco Cordero is your "weak" link, that speaks VOLUMES.

Completeness. It's a good thing.

edabbs44
08-19-2010, 09:37 AM
(and not to be a wet blanket, but don't let your highs get too high or your lows get too low, this team will hit a ditch before the end of the season and will have to battle out of it)

This is a great point...some treat every pitch like the Game 7 deciding AB of the WS. Enjoy this season no matter what happens, this is a lot of fun.

bucksfan
08-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Cincinnati 69-51 W5
St Louis 65-53 L4

Sweet Dreams

Naaah, I never do that! (I go to cbssports.com and look at the standings!! ;):beerme: :D

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Unreal win last night. I bought all my co-workers doughnuts

wheels
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
What has already cinched this season for me over 1999 is that this is a club that I know is built for the long term.

I know Griffey came over in 00, but it was evident that the team would not be the same.

As much as I like this season, I look forward to next season just as much.

They seem something akin to viable Major League franchise, not just fodder for Cardinals highlights on Sportscenter.

Chip R
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Clearly some people still don't believe in the powers of the Rally Onion.

gonelong
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
The question has never been if "intangibles" and "experience" mattered or not, but how much? How much do you pay for it? If it's going to cost you then how much production do you sacrafice for it? Maybe as a fan, you don't have to answer that question, but the GM has to wager his job on his answer.

At the end of the day, Walt did quantified it, because we traded assets (players) for these guys and they are getting paid to be here. :)

Intangibles and experience with C/D level talent gets you nowhere, and the Reds have had C/D level talent for nearly a decade. It's why I wasn't all that interested in "Veteran leadership" from the likes of Joe Randa, Corey Patterson, etc.

These trades made sense at this time because the Reds have a base of talent to take advantage of that experience. They also make sense because "intangibles" and "experience" are attached to players that can still produce on the field. You can't lead as effectively from the end of the bench, hitting .230, or butching plays in the field night after night.

GL

/For the record was on board with both moves.
//This team is fun to watch.

edabbs44
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
What has already cinched this season for me over 1999 is that this is a club that I know is built for the long term.

I know Griffey came over in 00, but it was evident that the team would not be the same.

As much as I like this season, I look forward to next season just as much.

They seem something akin to viable Major League franchise, not just fodder for Cardinals highlights on Sportscenter.

Yep, in '99 you felt like it was one of those seasons. This time it looks like the start of a new era. This is way more than I expected for this season (I would have expected this next year, at the earliest), but I think the talent of the team plus a few different intangibles is getting them to where they currently are.

SunDeck
08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I did not expect this team to be in first place at this point in the season, but I was very hopeful because they had put together a pitching staff that looked like it had a lot of up sides over the next five years. Then they added Chapman. Then the team started raking, tearing lesser opponents to shreds and began this remarkable trend of coming from behind. It's left me with an unusual feeling that I honestly have not had since the 70's, this feeling that being behind early was not necessarily the end of the game. Call me just a little giddy for this season, but I am even more optimistic about the foundation they have established. This is looking more like a solid ball club to me, from top to bottom.

traderumor
08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Welcome to Cincy, Jim Edmonds. To me, that game was a coming out party to make him feel a part of it all after arriving so late.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
This is a great point...some treat every pitch like the Game 7 deciding AB of the WS. Enjoy this season no matter what happens, this is a lot of fun.

Yeah, it was just a week ago this team was lying squashed on the side of the road like a dead possum hit by a Cardinal 18-wheeler.

Manic depression is a very lonely journey.

PuffyPig
08-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I remember going back to the July 31 thread and someone stating that "we are not a contender".

So, what's all the excitement about?

We are going to be 5 games back at the end of the west coast trip, where we easily can go 0-9 or 1-8.

So, for that to occur, we will have to lose the next 8 games of our 7 game trip. Meanwhile, the Cards will have to win 8 of their 6 games during that period.

Gee, is it possible that we are in fact a "contender"?

cincrazy
08-19-2010, 11:02 AM
You guys have no idea how badly I'm kicking myself. I stayed up late (for me anyway) until the D-Backs took the 7-3 lead on the LaRoche homerun, and then I turned off the game in disgust, pouting until I fell asleep.

This morning I hesitantly waded into last night's game thread (those things can get nasty during a loss) not expecting much, only to see jubilant reactions as the Reds put up back to back 4 spots in the late innings to come all the way back from the aforementioned deficit.

Now I'm reading multiple posters mention multiple times this is one of the, if not THE, best Reds win of the season, and how much we all love this team, and I missed it. I guess that'll teach me to never underestimate just how incredibly awful the 'Backs bullpen is, and just how good this team is throughout the whole 25 man roster.

Great win last night, even if I didn't see the part where we, you know, won. :)

You weren't the only one that dozed off. I had to be up early for work, and when LaRoche hit that bomb, I turned the tv off and went to sleep, resigned to "getting them tomorrow." I woke up at 2:30 in the morning to use the restroom, checked my phone just for the hell of it, and was so giddy I didn't go back to sleep for an hour.

Screwball
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I remember going back to the July 31 thread and someone stating that "we are not a contender".

So, what's all the excitement about?

We are going to be 5 games back at the end of the west coast trip, where we easily can go 0-9 or 1-8.

So, for that to occur, we will have to lose the next 8 games of our 7 game trip. Meanwhile, the Cards will have to win 8 of their 6 games during that period.

Gee, is it possible that we are in fact a "contender"?

:ughmamoru

redsfan30
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm having a very hard time curbing my enthusiasm right now. The thought that my Cincinnati Reds have a very real shot at playing playoff baseball this season just makes me giggle. I've been at work for about 90 minutes now and have done absolutely nothing but surf Redszone hoping to talk baseball.

I'm 25 and have never experienced this feeling. Ohio State and the Bengals have done well lately and I get great enjoyment out of that but even the 2002 National Championship is not comparing to my feeling this season. I live and die with the Cincinnati Reds. I don't have a problem admitting that if this team is able to clinch a playoff spot this season I will probably shed a tear of joy.

There is alot of baseball left, I know this. We've proven already this year that a 3 game lead is not safe. But to a starving baseball mind, there is a huge difference between a first of July 3 game lead and an approaching the end of August 3 game lead.

This team is not going anywhere. Dusty Baker. Scott Rolen. Orlando Cabrera. (gulp) Jim Edmonds. Bronson Arroyo. Arthur Rhodes. Those guys have been there, done that and they know what it takes and they will not let the young guys let up. If this team was going to fade, it would have done it by now.

Enjoy this, Reds fans. This is so much fun.

That's my rambling rant for now.

HeatherC1212
08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I know a baseball season is going very well when I'm not even remotely close to football mode yet and the upcoming post Olympics figure skating season hasn't even scratched my radar. Baseball is relevant here in Cincinnati and it's August/nearly September.....this is AWESOME. :D

membengal
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
This line really hit home for me.

For the first time in what seems like an eternity there is no pitcher I'm dreading in the rotation. I'm not looking at a 3 game series and thinking "Well, they have to win the first two, because Haynes/Hamilton/Fogg/Williams/Etc. isn't picking up a rubber match." There's no guy in the bullpen who I'm cursing as he walks to the mound. I mean, when Francisco Cordero is your "weak" link, that speaks VOLUMES.

Completeness. It's a good thing.

Hmmm, that can't be right, CE, I was assured for a long time this year that this pitching staff was a fraud and an illusion...

or, not.

Completely agree, they have guys that can shut teams down throughout the staff. They may not have a Cliff Lee/Roy Halladay but they are awfully deep...love what Price and Dusty have done in manaing what they have too.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
What's really interesting for me, is that (fairly) there were a ton of questions about this offense in the offseason. While I think we all agreed it was improved from last year--especially with Rolen in the lineup for 2010--a lot of people were still very worried about the offense. Here we are in late August and the Reds are one of the top 3-4 offenses in baseball.

And what's more... I feel like their offense hasn't even tapped into their potential.

If Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs really start putting it all together, Paul Janish and Chris Heisey were to play everyday... who knows how good this team could be.

redsfan30
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
What's really interesting for me, is that (fairly) there were a ton of questions about this offense in the offseason. While I think we all agreed it was improved from last year--especially with Rolen in the lineup for 2010--a lot of people were still very worried about the offense. Here we are in late August and the Reds are one of the top 3-4 offenses in baseball.

And what's more... I feel like their offense hasn't even tapped into their potential.

If Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs really start putting it all together, Paul Janish and Chris Heisey were to play everyday... who knows how good this team could be.

Exactly. This team has prospects of getting better top to bottom in the month of September. Chapman will be here soon and as you mentioned, Bruce and Stubbs seem to be putting things together a bit.