PDA

View Full Version : Potential September Call Ups

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Who are some potential September call ups?

Pitching:

For Sure: Aroldis Chapman, Matt Maloney, & Jared Burton

Likely: Sam LeCure and Jason Isringhausen

Infield:

For Sure: Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, Catcher

Likely: Chris Valakia

Bubble: Zack Cozart and Todd Frazier

The Reds are going to call up a catcher. My guess is Mesaraco or Miller but they are going to move fast with Grandal and he is on the 40 man roster. That is going to be interesting.

Outfield:

Bubble: Danny Dorn and Wladimir Balentin

The Reds active roster already has every outfielder listed on the 40 man so we nay not see any call ups here. The Reds could use the likes of Alonso, Francisco, or Frazier there aswell but doubtful.

Chip R
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Pitching:

Isn't Issy hurt? The rest I agree with.

Infield:

I'm not so sure on Alonso. They have Edmonds, Cairo and Hernandez to back up Votto. Francisco for sure. I'd say 50/50 on Valaika. They will have Janish and Francisco as well as Cairo for backups when OCab comes back.

The Reds are going to call up a catcher. My guess is Mesaraco or Miller but they are going to move fast with Grandal and he is on the 40 man roster. That is going to be interesting.

I think it'll be Corky. Mes just got promoted to AAA so I don't see him getting a call. No way Grandal is called up.

Outfield:

The Reds active roster already has every outfielder listed on the 40 man so we nay not see any call ups here. The Reds could use the likes of Alonso, Francisco, or Frazier there aswell but doubtful.

I don't think either one will be called up. If they aren't on the 40 man, why bother? I don't think they are going to call up guys just to sit on the bench. That's why I dont see Frazier or Alonso or Valaika or Mesaroco being called up.

Sea Ray
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
You'd be hardpressed to find any team in baseball that'll benefit more from Sept 1 roster expansion than our Reds.

Advantage: Reds

nemesis
08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
You'd be hardpressed to find any team in baseball that'll benefit more from Sept 1 roster expansion than our Reds.

Advantage: Reds

Maybe the Rays. But that's the only team even in the same ballpark.

Screwball
08-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm embarrassingly unfamiliar with the Cards' farm system, so does anybody else know who they could bring up once rosters expand? Maybe a bullpen piece or extra bat off the bench?

redsmetz
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Given that neither Miller or Mesoraco are on the 40 man, I think this club has a hard time bring either up since they're in a squeeze for 40 man slots as it is. I think I heard that those on the 60 day DL will stay that way through the season's end (can't remember where I heard that), so that's not an issue, but we're burgeoning as it is, unless they move someone via trade, but I'm thinking that probably won't happen.

joshnky
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I might be wrong but I doubt they're going to completely gut a successful AAA team to have guys to sit on the bench. I'd imagine that Francisco and Chapman are locks and maybe Alonso and another pitcher. The reality is that these guys are a day away, if needed, and they can play every day in Louisville while getting playoff experience there. You could call up Maloney and Valaika but they'll never see the field because they'll be buried on the depth chart.

After Louisville is done, they might be inclined to call up the rest that are already on the 40 man.

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I might be wrong but I doubt they're going to completely gut a successful AAA team to have guys to sit on the bench. I'd imagine that Francisco and Chapman are locks and maybe Alonso and another pitcher. The reality is that these guys are a day away, if needed, and they can play every day in Louisville while getting playoff experience there. You could call up Maloney and Valaika but they'll never see the field because they'll be buried on the depth chart.

After Louisville is done, they might be inclined to call up the rest that are already on the 40 man.

These moves don't have to occur September 1st. I just listed some potential candidates. The only one we are for sure on is Chapman on September 1st.

Degenerate39
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I'd just call up everyone on the 40-man roster. Wouldn't hurt to have some back ups

joshnky
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
These moves don't have to occur September 1st. I just listed some potential candidates. The only one we are for sure on is Chapman on September 1st.

Which will be just in time for the AAA playoffs. Don't get me wrong, Chapman and Francisco need to be here Sept 1st but the others can wait until after Louisville is finished.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Pitching:

Infield:

Outfield:

If they're not on the 40-man roster, they're not even on the bubble. Since you can't be called-up if you're not on the 40-man roster (as technically, MLB doesn't consider you as part of the parent club's roster since you aren't "in reserve"), Dorn and Balenien would have to be added to the roster before being called-up. And since there is no one to take off in their favor, they aren't even in consideration.

Mesoraco: same deal. He's not on the roster and won't be on the roster this year because there's nowhere to put him. He's also not even in the mix (though he'll be added in November when the protection lists are due).

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
If they're not on the 40-man roster, they're not even on the bubble. Since you can't be called-up if you're not on the 40-man roster (as technically, MLB doesn't consider you as part of the parent club's roster since you aren't "in reserve"), Dorn and Balenien would have to be added to the roster before being called-up. And since there is no one to take off in their favor, they aren't even in consideration.

Mesoraco: same deal. He's not on the roster and won't be on the roster this year because there's nowhere to put him. He's also not even in the mix (though he'll be added in November when the protection lists are due).

DFA's could occur on August 31st. Their also could be potential deals this month.

As far as Mesoraco.. That maybe.. But they will have 3 catchers in September and I can't see them bringing up someone with minimal pro at bats in Grandal. Miller would have to be added aswell to the 40.

Reading some of Fays blogs and he thinks Isringhausen will be called up. I don't know how his health will be though.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 04:05 PM
DFA's could occur on August 31st. Their also could be potential deals this month.

As far as Mesoraco.. That maybe.. But they will have 3 catchers in September and I can't see them bringing up someone with minimal pro at bats in Grandal. Miller would have to be added aswell to the 40.

Reading some of Fays blogs and he thinks Isringhausen will be called up. I don't know how his health will be though.

I think it can be guaranteed you won't see them DFA someone from the 40-man roster to make room for a kid who will only have been in AAA for 10 days, just so he can come up and be the third catcher in a pennant chase. It's very, highly unlikely.

They are already carrying 6 outfielders, so there's really no need to make any more room for Dorn or Balentien. Basically what you see is what you get for the last 6 weeks in regards to the 40-man. I could maybe see them making room for Miller, as a third catcher in September is not a terrible idea -- but I would be shocked if it were Mesoraco.

Caveat Emperor
08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I might be wrong but I doubt they're going to completely gut a successful AAA team to have guys to sit on the bench.

If bringing a given player up from Louisville increases the Reds playoff chances by even .01%, I say gut away.

I'd sacrafice a decade of International League titles for just 1 playoff appearence by the big squad.

sabometrics
08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Here's how I see it falling into place:

September 1st Call-ups: Aroldis Chapman and Juan Francisco (possibly Corky)
DL Returns in September: Harang, Springer, Cabrera (? - could be sooner, don't know his status)
Post-AAA Playoffs Call-ups: Alonso, Valaika, Burton

I don't see Maloney/LeCure getting called up as long as our starting 5 + Harang and Leake are healthy. Without them we'd have 17 pitchers which is more than enough for any circumstance, and we'd have multiple guys who can spot-start ahead of them. Anyone else not on the 40-man already and who isn't named Corky Miller will not have a spot made for them to come up.

GOYA
08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Chapman and Francisco

Anyone else will be after the Bats post-season play has ended. And I don't think there's much in Louisville that will make the Reds a better team right now. That says more about the Reds than the Bats.

Jared Burton tweaked his left oblique on Aug 7. He might not be back this year.

GOYA
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Izzy has shut it down for the season.

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Chapman and Francisco

Anyone else will be after the Bats post-season play has ended. And I don't think there's much in Louisville that will make the Reds a better team right now. That says more about the Reds than the Bats.

Jared Burton tweaked his left oblique on Aug 7. He might not be back this year.

That sucks for us and Burton I was hoping he could help, that cutter would have been a big help. That injury might have just cost him a potential place in the pen next season to.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Add Corky Miller to the mix. Aaron Harang will be back and pitching out of the pen. I can see Valakia and Alonso up aswell.