PDA

View Full Version : Bashing the Cards

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Let's put a moratorium on it.

Granted, when it was a news story, when Brandon Phillips was talking trash, when Yadier Molina was kicking bats and Johnny Cueto was kicking backs, it made sense.

But what we want to avoid is having four or five threads full of "wow, the Cards are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked."

RedsZone is better than that.

muddie
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Granted, when it was a news story, when Brandon Phillips was talking trash, when Yadier Molina was kicking bats and Johnny Cueto was kicking backs, it made sense.

But what we want to avoid is having four or five threads full of "wow, the Cards are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked."

concur.

Boss-Hog
08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I agree, as well.

jesusfan
08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Well said.. Let's leave it at scoreboard watching and paying attention to their games, hoping they lose..

TRF
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
wait... there was Cardinal bashing?

when did we stop bashing the Cubs and switch to the Cardinals?

i kid. yeah, it's boring and beneath us. And when I say us, i mean humans.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I see only one "bashing" thread on the first page right now. That doesn't seem to be a saturation of bashing.

I don't particularly understand why posters feel the need to tell other posters what their standards should be. I'm not high on the degenerative stuff about other teams. It's not my style but it seems to me that this is more about other people wanting to feel like they don't want others to make them look unclassy by association.

Also, FWIW, I saw the person that used the aforementioned quote... that was done jokingly.

Cedric
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM

I think people are really arrogant if they bash the Cards. The class of this division for a decent while now.

westofyou
08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

It's boring, chest thumping caveman crap that reeks of bush league brain power that distracts from the Reds an the season they are having.

RedEye
08-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah, the only thing that sucks worse than the Cardinals is Cardinal bashing.

Oops.

Chip R
08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Cardinal bashing also attracts Cardinal trolls who infect the Sun Deck.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Agreed. Hey, I was one of the ringleaders in the Cardinals bashing during the events of that series but that series is over now. It's time to move on. We need to be classy and not give this board a bad name.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Cardinal bashing also attracts Cardinal trolls who infect the Sun Deck.

That sounds like a Sun Deck problem.

J/K :cool:

RBA
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Let's let the records speak for themselves.

cincinnati chili
08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
wow, the Cards are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

And they beat up puppies in their spare time.

I actually agree w Johnny. Just getting it out of my system.

_Sir_Charles_
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM

:clap: Well said. Let's stick to the high road. :beerme:

Degenerate39
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
That sounds like a Sun Deck problem.

J/K :cool:

There's always some truth to every joke Brutus!

sabometrics
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
If it's a truly creative rip against them that's one thing and I don't think that should be spurned. It can be comic relief and if done right there's nothing to be ashamed of with a good joke here or there. But if it's nothing more than seeing how many demeaning words can be fit into one sentence (as evidenced in the OP) then that needs to be frowned upon.

Fit two or three good puns that make me laugh in one post and bravo to you. Compound a few curse words or the same generic Cardinal ripping (whining, crybaby, etc) and you should get the dunce cap.

wheels
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't go in for it at all. I did coin the phrase "Priss" Carpenter, so I believe that I'm still entitled to use it now and again.:D

Brutus
08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
There's always some truth to every joke Brutus!

:D

redsmetz
08-19-2010, 04:02 PM
My wife said something to me last night about our trip this weekend to Missouri for her folks' anniversary. She suggested that I might gloat, but I assured her I had no intention of doing that. We've all been pretty civil in talking about things, even after the Cards swept us. Two of my nephews messaged me on Facebook talking about the series as it approached and we've basically addressed it that we have to see how it's going to play out. No question, the Redbirds have their hands full, but things can turn on a dime and I'll wait to celebrate winning if and when it happens. I believe it will, but still, I'll wait to arrive there.

durl
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM

I agree. Let's focus on enjoying the ride we're on.

Captain Hook
08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

If we can't have 4 or 5 threads bashing the Cards can we at least have one with a really awesome name like"wow, the Cars are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked"?

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
If we can't have 4 or 5 threads bashing the Cards can we at least have one with a really awesome name like"wow, the Cars are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked"?

What do you have against the Cars? "Since You're Gone", "My Best Friend's Girl", and "Just What I Needed" are classics! Do you just dislike Rik Ocasek or something?

Captain Hook
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
What do you have against the Cars? "Since You're Gone", "My Best Friend's Girl", and "Just What I Needed" are classics! Do you just dislike Rik Ocasek or something?

I can't believe I would say such a terrible thing about one of my favorite bands.:confused:

westofyou
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Pedro had a friend who said they "beeped" too much.

I saw em at Hara Arena in 1981 and my ears still hurt.

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I see only one "bashing" thread on the first page right now. That doesn't seem to be a saturation of bashing.

I don't particularly understand why posters feel the need to tell other posters what their standards should be. I'm not high on the degenerative stuff about other teams. It's not my style but it seems to me that this is more about other people wanting to feel like they don't want others to make them look unclassy by association.

Also, FWIW, I saw the person that used the aforementioned quote... that was done jokingly.

Just a feeling on my part that things were trending towards a bash-fest. The threads that are out there now are fine, IMO. They are creative and funny. But I think we should put a period on that sentence and move on.

I'm not trying to police this site -- the mods already handle that quite well. But I hang out here, and I do want the place to stay classy.

Also, I didn't know that someone else had used that "suckiest bunch of sucks" Simpsons quote before me. My initial comment wasn't directed at any individual, or any single post. I'm sorry if it came out that way.

Dom Heffner
08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree there shouldn't be 6 different threads, but I don't see what's wrong with a jab at the rival.

If you can't take a stab at Tony LaRussa's hair, there really isn't a need to have a message board.

Unassisted
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Greg Hawkes would disagree about the beeping, I'll wager.

Lucky. I wish I had seen them at all. Seeing them would be on my bucket list if Ben Orr was still alive. :(

Back to the topic... I agree about the Cards bashing. Winning with good karma > winning with bad karma.

Cicero
08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
#%$%$ the cards. :)

Captain Hook
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I've been made fun of for years by Braves,Red Sox,Yankees and yes, Cardinal fans, for being a fan of the Cincinnati Reds.I've put up with Griffey being injured jokes,Dunn striking out jokes,Dusty Baker(and any other coach over the last 10 years) jokes and jokes about the front office,Pete Rose,Marge Schott along with having to hear just how bad my team is currently doing(like I didn't know).These fans claim to be classy but are quick to poke fun at small market teams that have had a tuff time achieving success lately.

So now, the Reds are good and have a nice plan for the future and I should just be happy to be mentioned in the same breath as these other teams and keep my mouth shut.Don't get me wrong,I don't plan on going overboard or shouting profanities in the faces of any of these guys but every now and then when the opportunity arises I will be sure to poke fun at any fan of these other teams and as far as RZ goes we're mostly all Reds fans so who are we offending?

As far as karma goes, when is it going to ever catch up to these fans that cheer for teams that have 100-200 million dollar payrolls?

Yachtzee
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Just a feeling on my part that things were trending towards a bash-fest. The threads that are out there now are fine, IMO. They are creative and funny. But I think we should put a period on that sentence and move on.

I'm not trying to police this site -- the mods already handle that quite well. But I hang out here, and I do want the place to stay classy.

Also, I didn't know that someone else had used that "suckiest bunch of sucks" Simpsons quote before me. My initial comment wasn't directed at any individual, or any single post. I'm sorry if it came out that way.

I blame Bob Boone.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 09:23 PM

I was at that show too. I was the hippie with long hair.

RFS62
08-20-2010, 07:10 AM
I was at that show too. I was the hippie with long hair.

That was you, huh?

:cool:

Screwball
08-20-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't go in for it at all. I did coin the phrase "Priss" Carpenter, so I believe that I'm still entitled to use it now and again.:D

I think VermiciousKinit might have something to say about that...

http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=483199&highlight=

PuffyPig
08-20-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm not trying to police this site -- the mods already handle that quite well.

99% of the time when someone starts a sentence with "I'm not trying to...", they are in fact doing just that.

And I don't think you are the exception.

Marc D
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Its a sports message board, not a group of aristocrats creating a rule book for gentlemanly behavior. I don't see the need for multiple threads on any topic but a "I hate this or that team" thread is pretty standard fare. If people want to have fun at a rival teams expense so be it.

If you go to some other teams forum you should expect a certain amount of homerisim and criticism of your team. Its their place, they can say what they want, either deal with it and engage the intelligent posters or stay away.

As far as what non RZ members think of that who cares? If it offends some of our own posters, don't read it. Trolls are going to come once a team starts winning, you can't do anything but be quick on the ban trigger.

BTW I hate the freaking Cardinals because they have been good for a long time and my beloved Reds have not. I don't need anymore reason than that, it doesn't have to make perfect sense. Its just how I feel.

smith288
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Well lah-dee-dah.

I figure if a mod thinks a thread lowers RedsZone's "standards" in the ORG, it will get pulled.

If it's still there then RedsZone apparently isnt "better than that' to your standards.

marcshoe
08-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Maybe it's a Todd Rundgren thing.

Johnny Footstool
08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
99% of the time when someone starts a sentence with "I'm not trying to...", they are in fact doing just that.

And I don't think you are the exception.

Think what you like. I'll continue to express my opinions, just like everyone else.

Johnny Footstool
08-20-2010, 03:19 PM
*deleted*

bucksfan2
08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_7b49811c-ac7e-11df-9420-0017a4a78c22.html

They just don't stop.

Granted this is written in a St. Louis area website, but good golly get over it. To be honest I think the Cards fans should be happy LaRue won't get anymore playing time this season.

westofyou
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_7b49811c-ac7e-11df-9420-0017a4a78c22.html

They just don't stop.

Granted this is written in a St. Louis area website, but good golly get over it. To be honest I think the Cards fans should be happy LaRue won't get anymore playing time this season.

Guy had less 60 ab's for the season....less than 60.

I fail to see the pain of the missing player who never plays

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Well lah-dee-dah.

I figure if a mod thinks a thread lowers RedsZone's "standards" in the ORG, it will get pulled.

If it's still there then RedsZone apparently isnt "better than that' to your standards.

Maybe. But we're definitely better than "lah-dee-dah" posts like this.

BTW -- Boss already made his feelings known on this point. Rule 5 applies to other baseball teams just as surely as it applies to the Reds.

Brutus
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Guy had less 60 ab's for the season....less than 60.

I fail to see the pain of the missing player who never plays

Yessir. And the eagerness in which the Cardinals placed LaRue on the 60-day DL tells me they were perfectly OK to lose him.

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
LaRue was really a non factor in the season. I don't see how he made much of a difference. I think LaRussa's reaction is mostly posturing. He is a genius at doing that. ;)

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2010, 04:34 PM
....LaRussa...He is a genius.... ;)

Those extra words weren't REALLY needed. ;)

j/k Matty, j/k

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Those extra words weren't REALLY needed. ;)

j/k Matty, j/k

lol

Brutus
08-20-2010, 04:38 PM
LaRue was really a non factor in the season. I don't see how he made much of a difference. I think LaRussa's reaction is mostly posturing. He is a genius at doing that. ;)

Yeah I mean, to be perfectly honest, this move (transferring him to the 60-day DL) is all about giving an added roster spot for the playoffs, while removing the a player they didn't use much from their team and (as a bonus) allowing yet another reason to complain about something. The main reason they did it is for roster flex, but they sure aren't disappointed they get to do some more of what Brandon Phillips has accused them of doing.

REDblooded
08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
TBH, if I can't talk about our new-found rival, and the one thing that stands in the way of what really matters for this team, the postseason, than it's not really a message board... It's now a forum to discuss stats, and personnel decisions.