PDA

View Full Version : Clemens on a Chain Gang?

texasdave
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Federal authorities have indicted Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Rest of article:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sports/baseball/20clemens.html?_r=1

Moral of the story? Don't lie to The Man. He doesn't like that approach.

Captain13
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. ;)

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Federal authorities have indicted Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Rest of article:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sp...mens.html?_r=1

Moral of the story? Don't lie to The Man. He doesn't like that approach.

They might have to lock up all of Washington D.C. if that's the case. Plenty of criminals there that lie to Congress daily.

Badda Bing Badda Boom! :D

mlh1981
08-19-2010, 06:11 PM
His biggest problem was thinking that his bulldog approach on the field would work in the courtroom.

Trace's Daddy
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
He'll be in Fort Leavenworth making big rocks into little rocks with a splintered bat

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2009/02/clemens_hurls_bat_at_piazza.jpg

redsfanmia
08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
I will be shocked if he goes to prison, he is a multi-millionaire and multi-millionaire's usually do not go to jail.

Vottomatic
08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I will be shocked if he goes to prison, he is a multi-millionaire and multi-millionaire's usually do not go to jail.

I hear he's hired Blagojevich's attorney and joined Blagojevich's "group" (also known as mob). ;)

Griffey012
08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Couldn't be happier, there is no man I hate more than Clemens in all of baseball history. Jose Canseco just becomes more and more credible each day. For those of you who haven't, you should really check out "Juiced".

RedsFanInBama
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Couldn't be happier, there is no man I hate more than Clemens in all of baseball history. Jose Canseco just becomes more and more credible each day. For those of you who haven't, you should really check out "Juiced".

Canseco misremebered a lot of stuff in that book.

Griffey012
08-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Canseco misremebered a lot of stuff in that book.

Such as....?

DocRed
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Reminds me of Cris Carpenter

bellhead
08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Fact...

Feds only indict when they are sure to when...90% of time they do.

Fact...

Perjury = 5 years max...

Fact....

Mandatory sentencing guidelines....

15 to 21 months...

Odds...

I would double or triple down Roger is going to do time...

RedsFanInBama
08-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Such as....?

Nevermind. I blame myself for using a dated reference.

AintlifeGrande
08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
''Thats the sound of the Rocket working on the chain gang.Thats the sound of the Rocket working on the chain gang.All day long the their singing, OO,AH,OO,Ah.''

My apologies to Sam Cooke.

AintlifeGrande
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
You just dont challenge federal prosecutor's unless you have a strong defense.The fed's have his personal trainers statement.His goose is cooked.I don't believe high priced defense lawyer's matter when the federal government is the plaintiff.

zacharync
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Fact...

Odds...

I would double or triple down Roger is going to do time...

I hope you are right!

takealeake
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
What's funny is two of the biggest pricks in baseball history, Bonds and Clemens, are facing perjury charges. Don't forget about Bonds, he's gotta face the music too, it just takes a long time for things to get rolling.

Revering4Blue
08-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Roger Clemens was offered a plea agreement, however it was declined, said his attorney Rusty Hardin.

"The government made a recommendation [for a plea agreement] and we declined," Hardin said. "I will tell you the recommendation they made was a very good one if he was guilty. And if he was guilty we would have jumped on it. Everybody has all this great solicitous advice, all the media and you guys -- ESPN. Nobody is answering the question: What if he didn't do it, what should he have done? And everybody wants him to confess."

Either Clemens is telling the truth or he is completely insane. We might not see a trial for a while, but he is facing the prospect of real jail time right now. Aug. 20 - 11:50 pm et

Source: ESPN.com

texasdave
08-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Have fun in Shawshank, Rocket.

Griffey012
08-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Nevermind. I blame myself for using a dated reference.

Actually now that I thought about it, I don't think he mentioned Clemens in his book, not sure though. I'll have to go back and check sometime.

AintlifeGrande
08-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Take it for what it's worth,I was reading on MSN and the Fox legal team say they believe he is looking at least a year in jail.

AintlifeGrande
08-21-2010, 06:07 PM
If that does indeed happen,that doesn't bode well for Mr Bonds.

Roush's socks
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Don't forget that Clemens is going to jail not for using steroids, but because he lied about it under congressional oath. He could have taken the 5th like McGwire and not had to deal with this. But he wanted to maintain his "legacy" and he thought he could get away with it.

I think it is unfair that players are getting all the heat for using PED's when there is little doubt that the league and teams were allowing it to happen. It's like in cycling where all these riders keep getting banned, but the SAME team managers continue on year after year even though they are the ones orchestrating the drug use.

I do think MLB has made a dent on PED use, since home run numbers are way down this year, and players look less bulked up visually.

By the way, the NFL is still allowing their players to use steroids and HGH blatantly and no one cares. Is that because the NFL is seen as "anything goes" and we really don't care?

Revering4Blue
08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Is that because the NFL is seen as "anything goes" and we really don't care?
Good question.

If any league is perceived as the "Teflon" league, it is unquestionably the NFL.

**Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic**

baron23
08-21-2010, 08:22 PM
He's gonna get sundecked on a regular basis...

texasdave
08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
You haven't been sundecked until the Feds sundeck you.

RedsFanInBama
08-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Actually now that I thought about it, I don't think he mentioned Clemens in his book, not sure though. I'll have to go back and check sometime.
Don't worry about checking. I just threw in the word misremembered because that was what Clemens said about Pettitte back at the Congressional hearings.