PDA

View Full Version : There's ALWAYS something you haven't seen in baseball....

_Sir_Charles_
08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I can't wait to see the replay, but was anybody watching MLB Network just now? They were showing the Cubs & Padres. Deno hits a grounder and they throw the ball home, getting Headly in a rundown between 3rd & home. Anyway, they tag Headly out at third (where Venable is now standing). So the play's over with Venable on third & Deno on 1st. Koyie Hill has the ball after tagging out Headly at third and is walking back towards the pitchers mound. Everyone is walking around like they always do after a play has ended. Well, Venable just takes off for home because there's simply nobody there. He sprints past Hill and Xavier Nady (1B) sprints towards home to make it close, but he scores. It was something I'd never seen before. Cubs completely caught napping and the Friars pick up a free run. Simply heads up baseball there by the Pads. If you get a chance, watch the highlights. Fun stuff.

And of course...Lou comes out to argue...I think he was just mad and wanted to vent...to ANYBODY.

Oh, and just for fun, watch the play prior to that one. Venable with a 2 run single. Headley's slide into third is simply a thing of .... beauty? :O)

dougdirt
08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I play baseball every Tuesday. This past Tuesday we had a sac fly to the pitcher. Botht he pitcher and catcher went after the ball in foul territory and the runner just tagged up and no one was covering.

_Sir_Charles_
08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I play baseball every Tuesday. This past Tuesday we had a sac fly to the pitcher. Botht he pitcher and catcher went after the ball in foul territory and the runner just tagged up and no one was covering.

LOL. That's kinda similar to what happened here in the Cubs/Pads game...they all just LEFT home plate. :O) It's funny because it's the Cubs. :cool:

MrCinatit
08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I saw the Cubs play - a heads up play by Venable and a head-up-the-butt play by the Cubs. Goat must have distracted them.

VR
08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Cubs fans have been seeing it yearly since 1908.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I can't wait to see the replay, but was anybody watching MLB Network just now? They were showing the Cubs & Padres. Deno hits a grounder and they throw the ball home, getting Headly in a rundown between 3rd & home. Anyway, they tag Headly out at third (where Venable is now standing). So the play's over with Venable on third & Deno on 1st. Koyie Hill has the ball after tagging out Headly at third and is walking back towards the pitchers mound. Everyone is walking around like they always do after a play has ended. Well, Venable just takes off for home because there's simply nobody there. He sprints past Hill and Xavier Nady (1B) sprints towards home to make it close, but he scores. It was something I'd never seen before. Cubs completely caught napping and the Friars pick up a free run. Simply heads up baseball there by the Pads. If you get a chance, watch the highlights. Fun stuff.

And of course...Lou comes out to argue...I think he was just mad and wanted to vent...to ANYBODY.

Oh, and just for fun, watch the play prior to that one. Venable with a 2 run single. Headley's slide into third is simply a thing of .... beauty? :O)

My little brother used to do that to teams so much when he was 12, 13, 14, etc. He was pretty fast but extremely aggressive on the base paths (but an exceptionally smart runner). If he caught the catcher ever turning his back for a second, it was lights out. Pretty funny to watch.

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2010, 05:48 PM

I did that in a softball game a couple of years ago. Infield fly between first and second, and I was the runner on second. The first baseman and second baseman let the ball drop between them, and then started arguing about who was supposed to catch it, so I ran to third. Much profanity ensued.

redsmetz
08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Here's the story from the San Diego paper. Heads up to 3rd base coach Glenn Hoffman who leaned up and alerted Venable that time hadn't been called yet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/19/inning-remember-venable-padres/

OesterPoster
08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Ha, home plate ump was our boy DJ Reyburn.

cumberlandreds
08-20-2010, 08:15 AM
I saw the Cubs play - a heads up play by Venable and a head-up-the-butt play by the Cubs. Goat must have distracted them.

They thought the goat was covering home. :)
It's just basics to call time in that situation. Just a typical Cub blunder.