PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically Speaking...Playoffs

liminal
08-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Okay...not to jinx anything, but I've been thinking about this a lot. I feel like one of the reasons the Cards beat us up is that Larussa essentially set their rotation playoff style, and, while the Reds appear to be the better team over the long haul, the Cards are built more for the postseason with that killer top of the rotation.

So, if/when we make the postseason, how does our rotation go? Who starts game 1?

A lot can happen between then and now, but I think I'd go with something like this:

1. Travis Wood
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Johnny Cueto.
-
4. Homer Bailey
5. Edinson Volquez

That looks a bit crazy, what with Wood being so young and inexperienced, but he looks excellent whenever he starts. I don't see Volquez starting in the postseason unless he has to, but I could see Bailey bumping Cueto to the 4 spot if he continues to look as good as he did in his first start back.

I love this team, and they're built to win a lot of games, I'm just not sure how we'll look in October.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what others think.

rolenmvp
08-20-2010, 02:32 AM
if your going by who to start for game 1, you have to look at arroyo..HE's the ace of this staff imho. HE will be your game 1 starter then, maybe wood or volquez but, you go with what got you there and bronson has been giving the reds everything this season, can't go wrong with him.

Knightro28
08-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Cueto is a lock. He has had a great season.

Including Wood is definitely an option at this point. I had been thinking Volquez would be in the top 3 with all the talk (it's like adding a TOR starter when he returns yada yada yada), but he has been inconsistent. Still have over a month to see who has the hot hand.

Captain13
08-20-2010, 07:46 AM
I say they should base it off of September, so I have no idea who it would be.

swaisuc
08-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Cueto and Arroyo are the automatics.

Volquez and Wood, it all depends how they pitch between now and then.
I still haven't ruled out Bailey personally. He was awesome to close last season and I have a gut feeling that he may be our hottest pitcher heading into the playoffs this year.

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Not to be snarky or all but if Arroyo is your starter in game one and it happens to be against the Phillies, the Reds might see an early exit in the playoffs.

RedsFanInBama
08-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Not to be snarky or all but if Arroyo is your starter in game one and it happens to be against the Phillies, the Reds might see an early exit in the playoffs.
Any team with any pitchers could see an early exit against the Phillies in the playoffs.

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Any team with any pitchers could see an early exit against the Phillies in the playoffs.

True, but I still think the best chance is starting Cueto. I believe that in game one, you need to throw a pitcher out there that has the ability to strike out guys at will. This is especially true in a 5 game series where the 1st game is so important. If you throw Arroyo out there, especially if its in the Phillies ball park, it might be a recipe for disaster.

I believe that one of the reasons why the Cards failed last year was because they started Carpenter rather than Wainwright. Carpenter is a great pitcher but he is more pitch to contact and a ground ball pitcher. Waino is just mean and I think maybe that series could have been different if he started that game and dominated the Doyers.

CardsFanBob
08-21-2010, 03:15 AM
You guys are playing absolutely amazing baseball. And I'll admit; you're a much better "team" than my Cards. But as an impartial baseball fan, I must say, you're starting rotation in a series is not imposing. That's the only thing you'll have to worry about, should you continue this lead and win the division.

jmac
08-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I am sure Dusty would go with BA first. After that, I know I am in the minority but give me Travis Wood in a game 2. The kid has been consistently good each time. Bailey is throwing well and he would be my third game.
Cueto still worries me at times, as he seems like he could get rattled if a bloop and an error happened.
Also..if playing a team like the Phils with Utley,Howard, Ibaneaz etc, Wood would be a major key. Still a long way to go but fun to think about.

texasdave
08-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Starters' ERAs of contending teams since July 1st:

TEAM ERA
BRAVES 2.86
REDS 3.22
PHILS 3.42
CARDS 3.46
PADRES 3.69
GIANTS 3.70

Stray
08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
If Volquez gets his command where it needs to be over the rest of this season it's

1. Arroyo
2. Cueto
3. Volquez

If not drop Volquez for Bailey/Wood depending on how they finish the year out. That would be my top 3 anyway.

bagz
08-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I think I'd go

1. Arroyo
2. Cueto
3. Wood

UPRedsFan
08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Starters' ERAs of contending teams since July 1st:

TEAM ERA
BRAVES 2.86
REDS 3.22
PHILS 3.42
CARDS 3.46
PADRES 3.69
GIANTS 3.70

Thanks Tex. I was wondering about that. I love our starting pitching. Doesn't worry me in the least.

New York Red
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Travis Wood has been awesome, but I wouldn't start a rookie in Game One of the postseason. I would go Arroyo (because of his age) and then Cueto. Tough call after that.

Votto4MVP
08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
A lot depends on september, not only the way the guys pitch in september but also how close the race is.

For example if we go to the last weekend and its a very tight race still then we are gonna have to use our best pitchers the last weekend and might not be able to have our best one go game 1. HOwever, if we clinch early we might be able to set up our rotation however we want.

I think Arroyo has to go game 1, hes the only one with big game experience.

Cueto probably 2.

Then 3rd Id wait and see how Wood, Bailey, and Volkie pitch in September. If Bailey keeps pitching the way he is Id put him 3rd, but then again if Volquez pitches to his potential he could be the third guy....

Another question, how many starters do we keep on the playoff roster? I think we only need to keep 4, so if Volquez or Wood or someone is the 5th guy, Id rather have a Chapman or something on the roster then a 5th starter.

Roush's socks
08-21-2010, 04:10 PM
We'll know better in 40 games which pitchers are the best. But right now I'd say Arroyo and Cueto are definite. The 3rd spot would be either Bailey, Wood or Volquez, and I think that will depend on how they pitch from here on out. They all have 5-7 starts left, so we'll see how things develop.

Arroyo has a reputation as a big game pitcher who can raise his level when needed. Cueto has been the most consistent this year. Wood has been great but he's a rookie and only goes for 6 innings. I could see a Bailey/Wood set up where Bailey starts but Wood is ready to go at any sign of trouble. I could also see Leake or Volquez as the guy who comes in for long middle relief if one of the starters struggle.

Unfortunately the playoffs do not reward starting pitching depth, and the Reds will need to figure out who their best guys are.

Vottomatic
08-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I normally wouldn't start a rookie in game 1 of the postseason, but if we play the lefthanded Phillies first, starting Wood might be smart.

GIDP
08-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I got cueto, wood, Bailey

Vottomatic
08-21-2010, 04:24 PM
I think you gotta give BA a start out of respect. And he's having a very good season. Just pick his matchup wisely.

GIDP
08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I would find it almost impossible to start anyone other than Cueto and Wood. Cueto is the best pitcher on the team, and Wood's .89 WHIP makes me happy.