PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Torreyes love on this weeks Baseball America Hot Sheet

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
http://bit.ly/9z70YR

Ronald Torreyes, 2b, Reds: The Reds have had a handful of intriguing Latin American players on their Rookie-level Arizona League club. Lefthander Ismael Guillon and shortstop Junior Arias, both of whom we wrote about two years ago when they were July 2 prospects, have posted fine numbers in the AZL, although righthander Jonathan Correa (now in the Pioneer League) might be better than both of them, with a fastball up to 93 mph and an advanced feel for pitching. Yet the player on the club who is the most fun to watch might be Torreyes, a 17-year-old out of Venezuela. Generously listed at 5-foot-10, Torreyes isn't the toolsiest guy, but he runs well and has remarkable feel for hitting. Torreyes hit .390/.468/.606 in 284 plate appearances with 11 strikeouts (no, not a typo) in the Venezuelan Summer League before the Reds brought him to Arizona a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't slowed down, hitting .372/.426/.558 with three strikeouts in 47 PAs, leaving AZL observers with some puzzled looks on their faces after showing them surprising power for a player his size. Torreyes, who was a teammate with Guillon two years ago on Venezuela's 16U youth national team that competed against players like Bryce Harper and Manny Macahado, has played exclusively at second base since coming to the U.S., but he can also fill in at shortstop, third base or in the outfield.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Good stuff. Also nice to see Ismael Guillon, Junior Arias, and Jonathan Correa getting some love too. Correa is getting more and more interesting by the day.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Good stuff. Also nice to see Ismael Guillon, Junior Arias, and Jonathan Correa getting some love too. Correa is getting more and more interesting by the day.

Have heard some really good stuff on him. REALLY good stuff.

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Okay, I'd seen alot of Torreyes' numbers from this year, but that's the first time I've seen those strikeout numbers. Wow. You just don't expect those kinds of numbers from a kid with his size. He looks like he should still be a sophomore in High School.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Okay, I'd seen alot of Torreyes' numbers from this year, but that's the first time I've seen those strikeout numbers. Wow. You just don't expect those kinds of numbers from a kid with his size. He looks like he should still be a sophomore in High School.

Well, he should be a junior in high school.... so you are saying he looks young for his age? ;)

Mario-Rijo
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Have heard some really good stuff on him. REALLY good stuff.

I'd say do tell but by the way you say it I am afraid to jinx the guy.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd say do tell but by the way you say it I am afraid to jinx the guy.

It basically echoes what you heard from BA a few weeks ago, but with a tick or two higher on the speed scale as far as his top end velocity goes.

Mario-Rijo
08-20-2010, 06:01 PM
It basically echoes what you heard from BA a few weeks ago, but with a tick or two higher on the speed scale as far as his top end velocity goes.

Must have missed it or forgot what it said, I don't recall it.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Must have missed it or forgot what it said, I don't recall it.

Plus slider, fastball at 91-93. Great pitchability. That is what BA said.

RedsManRick
08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Ronald Torreyes: I shall call him, mini-Youk.

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, he should be a junior in high school.... so you are saying he looks young for his age? ;)

LOL. True. I didn't think of it in that light. Only commenting on what he looked like wearing a professional uniform. A kid. (I was gonna say junior high originally...hehe)

OnBaseMachine
08-22-2010, 03:08 AM
I'll just post this in here. Kevin Goldstein held a chat on Friday and answered many Reds related questions. Here's one:

Joe (Cincy): Any chance the Reds' AAA affiliate could beat the Pirates in a 7 game series? They're trotting out a lineup of Dave Sappelt, Chris Valaika, Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco, Danny Dorn, and Devin Mesoraco, with Sam LeCure, Matt Maloney, Aaron Harang, and Aroldis Chapman among their pitchers.

Kevin Goldstein: I was going to rip you and talk about how massive the different is between Triple-A and the big leagues is, but they might have a chance. I'll still favor the Pirates though.

Follow the link to read the rest:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=770

sabometrics
08-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Had that same thought not too long ago here but that wasn't my question. Good to know it isn't that far out of the realm of possibility apparently.

sabometrics
08-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Also, a lot of Chapman love in that chat.

But what's not to love, right?

Grande Donkey
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Also, a lot of Chapman love in that chat.

But what's not to love, right?

Could you post a sample or two of said love?

NorrisHopper30
08-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Mario66 (Toronto): Has Aroldis Chapman met, exceeded, or fallen below your expectations? Based on what you've seen and heard so far, what do you expect in the future?

Kevin Goldstein: Met. Has better pure stuff than any lefty prospect in the game.
and

tballgame (Nashua NH): Best 2011 Cuban NL ROY performance, Chapman or Maya?

Kevin Goldstein: Chapman.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 02:21 PM
From Kevin Goldstein:

Junior Arias, SS, Reds (Rookie-level AZL Reds): 2-for-5, HR (6), 2 R, 4 RBI. Needs to work on approach and defense, but .303/.343/.508 line is hard to ignore.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/minorleagueupdate/

He also mentions Alonso and Chapman.