PDA

View Full Version : Inge, Damon close to passing through waivers

MississippiRed
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
According to a tweet by Buster Olney of ESPN, both of these guys are likely to pass through waivers soon. Since the Reds are ahead of the Cardinals, can the Cards pick up one or both of these players without the Reds having anything to say about it? Or do the Reds have the chance to make a claim before they are traded?

I would be more fearful of a Cardinal resurrection if they had Inge at 3B and Damon in RF instead of Feliz and Stavinoha.

Brutus
08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
According to a tweet by Buster Olney of ESPN, both of these guys are likely to pass through waivers soon. Since the Reds are ahead of the Cardinals, can the Cards pick up one or both of these players without the Reds having anything to say about it? Or do the Reds have the chance to make a claim before they are traded?

I would be more fearful of a Cardinal resurrection if they had Inge at 3B and Damon in RF instead of Feliz and Stavinoha.

The Cardinals have waiver priority, so there would be nothing the Reds could do about it.

However, with the addition of Feliz, I would be surprised if the Cardinals could make a play for Inge. They would probably have to DFA Miles or Lopez.

NDRed
08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see the Cards make a move for one of these guys. They have to feel a sense of urgency here with recent changes in the standings. I know if the Reds had lost 4.5 games in a week we would be screaming for upgrades- or even imagined upgrades for that matter.

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
The Cardinals have waiver priority, so there would be nothing the Reds could do about it.

However, with the addition of Feliz, I would be surprised if the Cardinals could make a play for Inge. They would probably have to DFA Miles or Lopez.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still made a play for Inge. Mo stated that they made the trade for Feliz because they couldn't wait any longer and they didn't know if Inge would make it through waivers. I think Inge is the priority if a match could be made. The problem is that the Cards are very reluctant to trade anymore prospects. It wouldn't surprise me though. I don't think Miles is going anywhere though. Cards fans were really upset the last time Miles left... I don't think they will let him go again. Lopez isn't as well liked by the fans as Miles is.

traderumor
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
The Cards may have priority over the Reds, but there may be other interest ahead of the Cards in Inge. Don't know, but its more than just the Reds that could muck it up for the Cards.

PuffyPig
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Do the Cards have the prospects to get either? They didn't have enough for Geoff Blum for Pete's sake.

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Do the Cards have the prospects to get either? They didn't have enough for Geoff Blum for Pete's sake.

Probably not! lol

Mario-Rijo
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Dang I'd love to have Damon hitting at the top of the lineup. Can the Cards claim/block both? They can have Inge if we can have Damon.

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think the Cards want Damon. They are happy with what they have in the OF.

MississippiRed
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM

I understand that the Reds couldn't claim before the Cardinals, but doesn't that only come into play if the Tigers just let them go? In order for a team to trade for them, don't the players have to be waived by all teams? (I always mean to 'study up' on these revocable waivers, but every year never get around to it.)

Dang I'd love to have Damon hitting at the top of the lineup. Can the Cards claim/block both? They can have Inge if we can have Damon.

I've wanted Damon since the offseason. He would look nice in LF and a leadoff.

REDREAD
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I understand that the Reds couldn't claim before the Cardinals, but doesn't that only come into play if the Tigers just let them go? In order for a team to trade for them, don't the players have to be waived by all teams? (I always mean to 'study up' on these revocable waivers, but every year never get around to it.)

If everyone before the Cards does not claim Inge, and then the Cards claim Inge. The tigers have the following options

1. Let the Cards have Inge for nothing
2. Revoke waivers and keep Inge
3. They have a small window (2 or 3 days?) to work out a trade with only the Cards. If a trade is not worked out, the tigers can revoke waivers.

MississippiRed
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks, REDREAD, let's hope it doesn't wind up helping the Cards.

MattyHo4Life
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Another scenario is that the Cardinals trade for Inge, bench Feliz and use Lopez at 2B. Skip Schumaker can go back to the OF where he has always been a good defender, and then Stav can be sent to the minors. Even if they don't trade for Inge, which is more likely, using Feliz at 3B, Lopez at 2b and Schumaker in RF gives the Cards better defense than they have had recently.

Tornon
08-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Another scenario is that the Cardinals trade for Inge, bench Feliz and use Lopez at 2B. Skip Schumaker can go back to the OF where he has always been a good defender, and then Stav can be sent to the minors. .

I heard Stav was sent to the minors anyway to make room for Feliz

Phhhl
08-21-2010, 02:18 AM
I think they plan to use Lopez at second no matter what happens. The Shumaker experiment at second has run it's course.