PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 games..

rolenmvp
08-21-2010, 02:40 AM
is getting serious with 40 games left to play. I can almost taste it. I love this team and I love their energy. how about homer bailey tonight, he is going to be a key stretch in this run to the postseason.

if we don't lose 5 straight, can you believe it?? we are going to have a winning westcoast trip. GO REDS!! :D

takealeake
08-21-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm still cautiously optimistic. I know how streaks can end with a thud with this team, as they have several times this year. This might be the real breakthru part of the year, but the last 5 games of this road trip are going to be tough stuff with the pitching we're going up against. Our rotation is going to have to bring their A game.

Reds
08-21-2010, 02:44 AM
I will say any doubt I had of not having a winning season are gone.

texasdave
08-21-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm still cautiously optimistic. I know how streaks can end with a thud with this team, as they have several times this year. This might be the real breakthru part of the year, but the last 5 games of this road trip are going to be tough stuff with the pitching we're going up against. Our rotation is going to have to bring their A game.

Indeed. Not much scoring the rest of the trip I would imagine. Mistakes need to be kept to a minimum.

rolenmvp
08-21-2010, 02:49 AM
but, you got to understand this is a diffrent reds team, ohh yeah? we killed billingsley last time out, he gave up 7 runs.

Maker_84
08-21-2010, 03:04 AM
the deed is not done until the cards r officially eliminated. i'm as well cautionally optimistic

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Well, the good thing I guess for Cards fans is that they play the Pirates and the Nationals this week. I feel this weekend and this upcoming week will be the week that determines the central. If the Cards go under .500 for this week, its over at least for the Central division. The wildcard, on the other hand, is still too close to call.

Redeye fly
08-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Yep, runs will probably be at a premium the rest of the way. You never know though, who would have thought after getting swept by the Cardinals, we'd knock Josh Johnson around the way we did?

We'll see how it goes. So far so good.:thumbup:

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Well Redfly, I'm already on the verge of trying to decide who to root for in the playoffs. I don't have the hate for the Reds like a lot of the Reds fans have for the Cards so I will be rooting for them. Though I would love to see that Padres win it all. My AL team is the Rangers.

Vottomatic
08-21-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm not going to count my chickens yet..............but I'm enjoying it immensely.

I had to work my second job tonight, and got to see parts of the game here and there, but had no idea the Cards lost and we were 4.5 games up until just now.

Pretty hilarious.

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I will say if the Cards are within 5 when the Reds come into town, this could be a dog fight to the end. The division is yours to lose if the Cards are anywhere above 5 games in that series, however.

Vottomatic
08-21-2010, 04:22 AM
We've had pretty good starting pitching all season. But if the starting pitching was a 5 early on in the season, I'd say it's improved to about an 8 or 9 at this point.

And the bullpen is starting to get it together when it counts.

Redeye fly
08-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Well Redfly, I'm already on the verge of trying to decide who to root for in the playoffs. I don't have the hate for the Reds like a lot of the Reds fans have for the Cards so I will be rooting for them. Though I would love to see that Padres win it all. My AL team is the Rangers.

Be interesting to see a Reds/Rangers series with Volquez pitching to Hamilton. Obviously waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early still to think about that. Even if both reach the postseason, they'll have tough roads with probably the Yankees and Rays in the AL, and the Braves, Padres, and whomever else (Phillies? Giants? Cardinals?) in the NL.

I know I'll be paying close attention these last 40 games of the season, when normally about this team I'm in anxiously waiting for football mode.

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Redeye, I still see a Phillies vs. Yankees matchup. The Phillies are playing outstanding ball right now even with Howard out and the Yankees are well.. the Yankees. However, if they do play each other, the Phillies will win. I love their starting pitching and it seems more complete than the Yankees.

rolenmvp
08-21-2010, 04:29 AM
I was looking at the hunt for october thing on espn.com and if the season ended today, we would play the braves in the nlds. they lead the overall series 3-2 but, I think we could take them in a playoff series.

Redeye fly
08-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Yeah Mike, I can definitely see that. Obviously I'd love to see someone take out the Yankees and keep them from reaching the World Series, but that's a tough task. The Giants have the pitching to maybe keep the Phillies out of the postseason altogether, but not as balanced a team. Then again, I saw where one GM said the Reds and Cards both will make the postseason because they get to feast on teams like the Brewers, Pirates, Cubs, Astros, Nationals, and Diamondbacks.

The Braves are just a weird team. Very talented to be sure with some terrific arms, but if you get them out of Atlanta they become much more beatable.

MikeThierry
08-21-2010, 04:45 AM
When I lived in New York, I became a mild Yankee fan so I neither root for or against them.

08-21-2010, 04:49 AM
is getting serious with 40 games left to play. I can almost taste it. I love this team and I love their energy. how about homer bailey tonight, he is going to be a key stretch in this run to the postseason.

if we don't lose 5 straight, can you believe it?? we are going to have a winning westcoast trip. GO REDS!! :D

That could very easily happen. Be careful.

mlh1981
08-21-2010, 09:30 AM
We will face adversity at some point again in the final 6 weeks. Count on it.

I'm very happy with the way things are going, but the Cards aren't done. I have a feeling this race will get close again, but I believe this team has the character, intangibles, and talent to hang on.

redssince75
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
One thing very clear to me from the course of the season, plus the Cardinals losing almost all their games since our series, and us winning all of ours:

They played over their heads that series, and we played wayyyyyy under ours. A Cardinals sportswriter said it was the best 3 games they played all year. Put it together with 3 of our worst (other than the blown leads), and you get what you got.

I'll say it -- we choked on the big-game pressure. Since then we've rebounded fantastically and SL has lost their focus (man they were lasered against us).

Greatly looking forward to what happens over Labor Day weekend. I think it will be a big change from last week. Going to 2 of 3 here in SL.

bagz
08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm very optimistic about us being able to win the division but also think it'll be a dogfight til the end.

RileyRed
08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Am I mistaken or are the Reds 4.5 games up on the Cards...suck it Cowterd.
And speaking of Cowterd, who said that the Reds haven't beaten a number one team yet, didn't they take 2 out of three from Atlanta in GABP? I don't know why no one has pointed that out...

New York Red
08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
"Cautiously optimistic" here too. But my enthusiasm and excitement level is off the charts. I was going to start a thread this morning titled 'Are we really 4 game up??' ... LOL. It just seems like this happened so quickly. From two games up, to one game back, to 4 up? Wow. And this West Coast swing we've been talking about - and dreading - for a couple months now has started with four straight W's! I just hope everyone stays upbeat if/when we lose a couple. This team has bounced back all year, and this time they bounced back stronger than ever before. And if they need to, they will bounce back again. The Reds aren't where they are because they've played better; they're where they are because they are better. They're legit.

I'll be at a pig roast near Lake Placid, NY most of the day, surrounded by Yankee fans (and a few Red Sox fans). But I'll be talking Reds, Reds, Reds the whole time! And loving every minute of it!

:beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme: