PDA

View Full Version : How About CoCo tonight?

Phhhl
08-21-2010, 02:31 AM
All the guy has to do is throw strikes! Tonight he did. I thought he managed the ninth inning tonight incredibly well, and really has responded well since the last homestand when it appeared he belonged in a bread line right behind Chad Qualls. The velocity is still spotty, but he is throwing a lot more strikes in his last 3-4 appearances. Dusty handled tonight's game masterfully, delivering the game in the 8th inning to Arthur, when Scotty Pods and Ethier were due up, then turning the ball over to CoCo in the ninth for Kemp and Blake. Ironically, Kemp was the only guy to reach base against Cordero on a pitch wildly out of the strike zone on a 1-2 pitch, so his hit was hardly a blight on the appearance.

When all the dust settles, Cordero still gobbles up saves like pacman and appears to be gaining more command with rest. I don't think there is a viable alternative to what he brings at this point, either on our roster or someone elses.

NDRed
08-21-2010, 03:11 AM
I read in the game thread that Coco was throwing other pitches.

Lately he throws 90 plus percent fastballs at between 91-93 MPH. Too often he has lost his control or the batters just timed his pitches. At this point, the key for him is to mix it up a little. You can't just throw fastball after fastball to ML hitters. It helped that he was wild but that doesn't last forever asan asset.

I hope rest is what Coco needs. Until that is proven please keep Masset available until Chapman arrives. Cordero has one of the best defenses in baseball behind him- as OP said throw strikes.

Phhhl
08-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Don't you think he has been pretty good in his last 2-3 appearances? The club is not moving away from him as the closer, so it is literally come hell or high water with CoCo. Hello, but this team is not going to win without him experiencing some modicum of success this last month. Personally, I have not lost faith in him this season through all the trials. I truly feel the number of games he has been used in during non-save situations have accumulated to contribue to his ineffectiveness. It has taken time for Dusty to realize guys like Nick Masset and Logan Ondrusek are viable in leveraged innings, so I have noticed a more measured approach to Cordero's innings recently. CoCo's usage has only recently been scaled back, so I am encouraged by what I have seen out of him within the last couple weeks.

Last night, he was as tight as he was early in the season. It was a crucial ballgame on the road. I think we are starting to see some daylight at the end of the tunnel with our closer. Don't even consider replacing him at this point, unless of course his arm falls off.

cincrazy
08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
For the first time in ages last night, it didn't seem to me that CoCo was trying to overthrow the ball. Generally, he was topping out at about 93, but he was hitting the corners. Normally he's gassing it up there at 96 and 97 and the ball is wayyy out of the strike zone.

With that being said, I'm not going to read too much into a couple of performances. He could just as easily regress and cost us a couple of games in the next few weeks. Just have to keep our fingers crossed on this one.

PuffyPig
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't recall Coco's velocity suffering during his poor period, he was routinely sending it up there at 95-96 MPH. It was only his control.

It's not like he was being hit extremely hard, with a .238 BAA and a .359 SL% A.

It was his 35 walks in 55.1 innings that gets him in trouble.

With a 85% save % Coco isn't that big a problem.

durl
08-21-2010, 09:29 AM
When you compare Cordero to other closers, his Save total is high but you'd never know it by looking at his stats.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/closers

ERA of 3.90, 1.4 K/BB ratio, 1.52 WHIP. On paper, that's not the guy most would be comfortable handing the ball to with a one-run lead. He has pitched better lately, so that's encouraging.

traderumor
08-21-2010, 09:42 AM
It's all about the walks with Coco. Look at his career stats and everything else is in line. He did not nibble last night and I noticed the backed off fastball as well. 20 games over with a shaky closer makes you excited to think about the possibilities if he has a great last month plus of the season due to adjustments.

alexad
08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
He stills scares me to death when he goes out there with a two run lead, then either walks someone or gives up a hit. What happen to the days of the closer going 1-2-3 on a consistant basis. Cordero is not doing that on a consistant basis. He has a high saves total because he is the one going out there. Massett could have the same amount of saves if he was ther guy going out there all the time in the 9th. Cordero is not showing true closer stuff in my opinion. He does not scare batters.

RedsManRick
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
It seems like he's almost given up on his slider. Not sure why. On the control front, he's not flying open nearly as much as he had been doing in the last couple of outings.

Unassisted
08-21-2010, 01:43 PM
This is the kind of tweak-based improvement that you have to figure the pitching coach had a hand in. Be glad the Reds have Bryan Price. :cool: