PDA

View Full Version : Will Janish take time away from Cabrera?

Pages : 1 [2]

TheNext44
08-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Out of curiosity, if you threw out 2010 what would lead you to believe that he could OPS above .700 in the major leagues?

I would feel much more comfortable with Janish's numbers being representative of what he could do on a full time basis if they were (to a certain extent) consistent across the board. Even in a small sample like this.

His very solid K/BB rate. Plus his size.

It's very rare for guys his size, with his K/BB rate to end up with an OPS below .700.

westofyou
08-29-2010, 03:07 PM

It's very rare for guys his size, with his K/BB rate to end up with an OPS below .700.

He's this generations Jeff Huson!

mth123
08-29-2010, 03:10 PM
He's this generations Jeff Huson!

Nice name. I still think Gary Green is a better comp.

edabbs44
08-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I'll take his career numbers over those two things any day. If you are mainly looking at his size and K/BB numbers, you are missing somethiing.

membengal
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Here's some vet leadershippy stuff from Cabrera:

Cabrera said he hopes to return for the St. Louis series. Meantime, Cabrera is a big Janish fan.

“Paul, you can’t ask more from him,” Cabrera said. “He’s been getting great hits and playing great defense.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100829/SPT04/308290042/1071/Wrist-still-ouchy-so-Phillips-pinch-runs

GAC
08-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Suffice it to say that any argument with Janish over Cabrera starts with Janish's clearly superior glove. The question is whether or not Cabrera offsets that advantage with a better bat, leadership abilities, and what-have-you.

BINGO!

edabbs44
09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
OCab since he returned in 31 PAs:

.367/.387/.600

Just thought you should know.

Razor Shines
09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
OCab since he returned in 31 PAs:

.367/.387/.600

Just thought you should know.

.333/.360/.542 Paul Janish's last 29 PAs as long as you're asking.

edabbs44
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
.333/.360/.542 Paul Janish's last 29 PAs as long as you're asking.

Since the break he OC has been one of best Cincy hitters in over 100 PAs. And I think thats where some of the commentary was flawed in recent threads. The guy is universally known as a .700ish OPS hitter and once he went on that really bad run earlier this year, most assumed that he was now a .620 guy and not that .700 guy we all pictured.

Give him his ABs and he'll be fine. He's the guy you want in the playoffs.

Brutus
09-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Since the break he OC has been one of best Cincy hitters in over 100 PAs. And I think thats where some of the commentary was flawed in recent threads. The guy is universally known as a .700ish OPS hitter and once he went on that really bad run earlier this year, most assumed that he was now a .620 guy and not that .700 guy we all pictured.

Why not point out how Cabrera has been feasting against the Pirates and Diamondbacks? If it were Janish, I know it would have been brought up.

His days as a 700 OPS hitter appear to be over. This mini-streak aside, he's often too overmatched on gas to continue this much longer. I love it, and I hope it continues, but it's one of many streaks that happen in a season. I'd still put out Janish, though I do think it's wise to ride Cabrera as long as he stays hot.

edabbs44
09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Why not point out how Cabrera has been feasting against the Pirates and Diamondbacks? If it were Janish, I know it would have been brought up.

His days as a 700 OPS hitter appear to be over. This mini-streak aside, he's often too overmatched on gas to continue this much longer. I love it, and I hope it continues, but it's one of many streaks that happen in a season. I'd still put out Janish, though I do think it's wise to ride Cabrera as long as he stays hot.

Is that really who he has been feasting against in the 2nd half?

westofyou
09-15-2010, 09:27 PM

He's a tad streaky, but lots of guys are.

My take is intangibles, evidenced by some players quotes (Votto for instance) his past as a performer on winning teams, and his baseball acumen (he has it, if anyone wants proof then show me what love is, I've seen enough baseball to know who is dumb in-between the lines and who's not)

So... that leaves one question.

Why so many teams since the Angels?

Or is he just a commodity that moves around in an attempt to provide worth to the owner in the current marketplace environment?

In many ways he's an example of a average player at a key position in today's market, he''s good but everyone thinks they can get value at a lower cost and thus he moves along. But note this, his last 2 teams (CWS & LAA) aren't exactly flush at the position currently and the other (Twins) had to make a trade to get the guy they have today.

pedro
09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm just thankful the Reds have gotten solid play out of both their SS's this year.

Brutus
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Is that really who he has been feasting against in the 2nd half?

You referenced 31 PAs since returning, and since the past 6 games have been against Arizona and Pittsburgh, yes.

edabbs44
09-15-2010, 09:36 PM
You referenced 31 PAs since returning, and since the past 6 games have been against Arizona and Pittsburgh, yes.

The post you quoted referenced his 100 or so PAs since the break.

But since you asked, he also had a multihit game vs Carpenter in that same span.

Brutus
09-15-2010, 09:46 PM
The post you quoted referenced his 100 or so PAs since the break.

But since you asked, he also had a multihit game vs Carpenter in that same span.

I was originally responding to the one that mentioned 31 PAs though I didn't realize I quoted a different one.

In any event, plucking one game against Chris Carpenter means virtually nil. His best month of the season, prior to getting hurt, was .698. That was his best month. This streak he's on now is nice, but it's likely not going to last.

Paul Janish has a .765 OPS over 200 plate appearances, Cabrera .673 over 475. It's time to recognize that Janish hasn't really been letting up much.

As I said, if Cabrera keeps on hitting, I am thrilled to have him in the lineup. But if/when Cabrera settles down, get Janish back in there.

GAC
09-16-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm just thankful the Reds have gotten solid play out of both their SS's this year.

Amen. And also the catching position too.

membengal
09-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Also delighted with the combined production from both SS. It has been nowhere near as dire as proponents of Janish at the expense of Cabrera and Cabrera at the expense of Janish have made it out to be when their SS of choice doesn't play.

And that's a very, very good thing.

bucksfan2
09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
So... that leaves one question.

Why so many teams since the Angels?

Or is he just a commodity that moves around in an attempt to provide worth to the owner in the current marketplace environment?

In many ways he's an example of a average player at a key position in today's market, he''s good but everyone thinks they can get value at a lower cost and thus he moves along. But note this, his last 2 teams (CWS & LAA) aren't exactly flush at the position currently and the other (Twins) had to make a trade to get the guy they have today.

It is very interesting. Cabrera has been somewhat of a mercenary since his days in the Expos/Angles system. Maybe he likes working off of one year deals and knows in all likelihood he will be traded to a contender if his team isn't contending. Maybe over the course of the past 5-6 years teams have seen him as a stop gap type SS and don't want to invest in him for a couple of years. Or maybe Cabrera is the type of guy whose value is maximized in a contending team and not an also ran.