PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of Jay Bruce

skywalker
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I am a big jay bruce fan, what do you all think of him ?
Here is a link to my Bruce card collection. I really think his future is bright.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/skywalker1010/JAY%20BRUCE/

Orodle
08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I think he needs to start hammering the ball. :)

but I do think hes got a great future

GIDP
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Best outfielder on the team, best defensive RF in all of baseball.

Stray
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Love his personality, love his potential, not a fan of his offensive production.

When Stubbs has been better for us offensively in key situations than Bruce, something is wrong. Bruce has been up here longer and should be ahead of Stubbs on the learning curve. You know he's good enough and not about talent, but in big at bats (I know recently he's been better) I cringe when he comes up to the plate. I like our future with both though, but you just hope Bruce eventually figures it out.

Defensively he's second to none in RF in all of baseball.

bshall2105
08-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Love his personality, love his potential, not a fan of his offensive production.

When Stubbs has been better for us offensively in key situations than Bruce, something is wrong. Bruce has been up here longer and should be ahead of Stubbs on the learning curve. You know he's good enough and not about talent, but in big at bats (I know recently he's been better) I cringe when he comes up to the plate. I like our future with both though, but you just hope Bruce eventually figures it out.

Defensively he's second to none in RF in all of baseball.

Bruce has been up longer, but Stubbs is the older player. Stubbs also played for one of the best college programs in the NCAA also, so I would argue that he should be way ahead of Bruce in his development. I would not cringe when he comes up to the plate either. He had that awful month of July, but other than that he's been good. He's having a much better year, batting average wise, than last as well.

Stray
08-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Bruce has been up longer, but Stubbs is the older player. Stubbs also played for one of the best college programs in the NCAA also, so I would argue that he should be way ahead of Bruce in his development. I would not cringe when he comes up to the plate either. He had that awful month of July, but other than that he's been good. He's having a much better year, batting average wise, than last as well.

Good points, I hadn't considered that. As far as production goes, there's no doubt Bruce has been the better hitter. I'm more talking about hits in key situations.

It's an eyeball test, but the last time I saw numbers they showed that the guy you want at the plate (between the two) if you need that run in would be Stubbs.

It seems with Bruce it's a lot of strikeouts and double plays, and with Stubbs a lotta strikeouts haha. Stubbs will get a big hit for you late in the game though, he seems to have a knack to do so.

Krawhitham
08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Best outfielder on the team, best defensive RF in all of baseball.

Stubbs covers a lot of ground, weaker arm but he can go get anything

Captain13
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
I love me some Jay Bruce. I just hope he starts making more consistant contact. Right now he has the potential to be the next Paul O'Neal or the next Paul Householder. I hope he's more like Big.

lidspinner
08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Jays only problem is the way he approaches his at bats.....he goes up there swinging for glory on almost every swing....the best hitters go up there thinking one thing to do with the ball, then when they get behind, they move on to plan B....JB has no plan B.

juvey21
08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
WOW you have one hell of a card collection of Bruce. Its been a up and down year for him. I thought he would end up having stats like this .250BA/25Hr/80RBIs. Currently he sits at
.264/13HRs/50RBIs.

Jay has been up to bat this year with plenty of opportunity to drive runs in and hasn't cashed in. He will have to learn to do that then he will be what most of us thought. I LOVE his defense though.

redssince75
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
He's my 2nd-least-favorite Red. I wish we would trade him.

bounty37h
08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
My wife wanted to buy me a new reds jersey for my bday this past weekend, the sports store here only had Bruce jerseys in stock, so I held off. I like him a lot, lot of potential, but a lot of unproven yet too. Great, great, great fielder, needs to find a bat. By the way, that is one of the most impressive single player collections I have seen!

tobttr
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
If he hits no worse than he is this year & plays defense as well as he has this year, he'll be a huge asset to the team. I'd like to see a higher BA, more RBI and less K like everybody else, but this is the best offensive team in the NL right now. (Still seems odd to say that after last year's struggles.) So to whatever degree his offense hurts the team, it's not enough to be that much of a problem.

GIDP
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Jay Bruce is easily going to end up as a 3 WAR player. That going to be likely double what any other outfielder on the team offers.

Bruce: 2.6
Stubbs: 1.3
Heisey: 1.2
Nix: 1.2
Gomes: -0.2

Edmonds doesnt have enough ABs with the reds to matter really yet.

Basically Bruce has been more valuable to the Reds than any combination of 2 of Nix Heisey and Stubbs.

texasdave
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Gomes is worth less than a replacement player. Sweet. Both Heisey and Nix have played much less than Bruce. If they had the same amount of playing time they might just have a higher WAR than Jay. Although that is speculative to a degree.

GIDP
08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Gomes is worth less than a replacement player. Sweet. Both Heisey and Nix have played much less than Bruce. If they had the same amount of playing time they might just have a higher WAR than Jay. Although that is speculative to a degree.

Heisey might, but probably not nix mainly because of Nix track record suggest his bat would slip back a good chunk.

Bruce is gonna have to slump again to drop back down to 1.2 range. Like a month long slump type of slump. Given that hes been .825 at least OPS every month but july its probably not likely to happen again.

Old NDN
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I think Bruce has been over-hyped by the Reds organization. We fans have been starved for a winner so long that we've been willing to grasp at any morsel of hope. Bruce climbed the ladder of the minors so fast and was thrown into MLB as a savior for the Reds franchise. Trouble is, he's turned out to be a nice player with the typical problems most newcomers face in adjusting to MLB pitching. I'm not sure he will ever meet the unrealistic expectations most fans have for him.

BlastFurnace
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Overrated by Reds fans, but still very young and has a lot of potential.

Less than 50 RBI's this late in the season is not good.

redsrolen
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I remember an interview with Scott Rolen, he was saying how great he thought Jay Bruce was. Scott never passes compliments around unless he really believes he's great. I agree, however, I have been frustrated with his hitting, but from what I here, he really puts in a lot of time working on it, and I have seen improvements in his hitting as of late! I have even seen more confidence in his face, at the plate. You can tell alot about a batters confidence, by checking out his face and body language! GO JAY!!!:thumbup:

juvey21
08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Still amazed at that Jay Bruce card collection. Well Done!

KOBasinger
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice collection of cards there. I used to collect but not much anymore. I would like to get back to it.

My opinion on Bruce is that he definitely needs to step it up. He is still young. His future is bright. Jay is frustrating to watch at times but other times seeing him with that cannon arm makes me think otherwise.

mlh1981
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
This guy is SO key to our team, as we head into September.

I don't have a number to quantify this, but when Bruce plays well, we are EXTREMELY hard to beat.

You know what you are getting out of Votto, Phillips, Rolen, etc, but add Bruce on TOP of that, and it's really a fantastic lineup.

Even when he's not hitting well, he doesn't let it affect his fielding.

skywalker
08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Still amazed at that Jay Bruce card collection. Well Done!

THANK YOU also I think the broken wrist has alot to do with the power shortage as I have heard that it really takes a good 2 years to heal up and get that strength back.

skywalker
08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
someothers to see

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/skywalker1010/

I love my cards and the REDS

bornready
08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
someothers to see

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/skywalker1010/

I love my cards and the REDSdude sick collection!! i've been out of the hobby for a year or two, unfortunately, but i feel the urge to get on ebay and buy some cards now...thanks a lot!;)

as for bruce, people need to remember he's only 23...big future ahead. patience pays:cool:

Vottomatic
08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
He should take note of Votto's at-bat in the ninth. Votto went opposite field on a 3-2 count.

Bruce would still have tried to pull the ball.

Enuff said.