PDA

View Full Version : Jaime Garcia

Defacto
08-23-2010, 12:56 AM
I know he's a Cardinal, but his start was pretty interesting today. He almost faced the minimum batters(27), but he gave up a hit in the 9th with two outs. No, he didn't have a perfect game going, but it would still be pretty cool if he had faced the minimum amount of batters faced. Instead, he faced 28.

10xWSChamps
08-23-2010, 01:00 AM
It was probably the best pitched game of the year by a Cardinal. Only 89 pitches too

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Amazing. I have Cardinals season tickets so I was at the game (hey, had to get my Chris Carpenter bobblehead too!) and I knew Garcia was pitching a great game, but with 2 outs in the 7th, I looked up to see his pitch total and did a double take when I saw 64 pitches. He finished the 7th with 67 pitches and, as was posted, finished the game in 89 pitches.

Impressive no matter who is on the mound, but by a rookie is even more special.

davereds24
08-23-2010, 01:05 AM
He's pretty damn good, but his arm may fall off in September since they don't really have any off days.

arkimadee
08-23-2010, 02:08 AM
lets hope that Giant offense shows up the next 3 games :)

Kiss the Baby00
08-23-2010, 03:07 AM
I think Garcia will win ROY. Everyone is lucky that Latos pitched .6 innings too many last year or he would be a lock.

10xWSChamps
08-23-2010, 05:00 AM
I think Garcia will win ROY. Everyone is lucky that Latos pitched .6 innings too many last year or he would be a lock.

Latos would still have to finish strong, Garcia isn't that far off from him stat wise

Redeye fly
08-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Personally, I wouldn't care if all the following things occur.

1. Jaime Garica is NL Rookie of the Year

2. Adam Wainwright in the NL Cy Young award winner

3. Albert Pujols is the NL MVP

I kind of hate to say number 3, since Votto certainly deserves it, but the big one is coming up.....

4. The Cardinals finish in second place in the NL Central.:p:

fielder's choice
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
If the reds win the division, Votto is pretty much a lock for MVP

malcontent
08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
He's pretty damn good, but his arm may fall off in September since they don't really have any off days.
Yeah. I agree that he's legit.

10xWSChamps
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM

If Pujols gets the triple crown he wouldn't. Pujols currently leads in HR and RBI and is only .008 behind Votto, the leader, in average. I agree that whoever wins the division will have an advantage but I think Pujols' name is an advantage in itself as well.

Personally, I wouldn't care if all the following things occur.

1. Jaime Garica is NL Rookie of the Year

2. Adam Wainwright in the NL Cy Young award winner

3. Albert Pujols is the NL MVP

I kind of hate to say number 3, since Votto certainly deserves it, but the big one is coming up.....

4. The Cardinals finish in second place in the NL Central.

And I would trade the first three for a playoff spot. Individual awards are great but they're just fluff.

bshall2105
08-23-2010, 05:08 PM
If Pujols gets the triple crown he wouldn't. Pujols currently leads in HR and RBI and is only .008 behind Votto, the leader, in average. I agree that whoever wins the division will have an advantage but I think Pujols' name is an advantage in itself as well.

I actually think his name could be a disadvantage. I remember last football season people were talking about how they were tired of voting Peyton Manning MVP. The same might be true for baseball.

Vottomatic
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I hope Pujols wins the triple crown and the Cards miss the playoffs. That would be hilarious.

Defacto
08-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I hope Pujols wins the triple crown and the Cards miss the playoffs. That would be hilarious.

I'd be crying and saying this is all someone elses fault. Then, LaRussa would be gone and Albert would leave after '11. If that scenario happened......:thumbdown:eek::(

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I actually think his name could be a disadvantage. I remember last football season people were talking about how they were tired of voting Peyton Manning MVP. The same might be true for baseball.

It didn't hurt Bonds when he was getting votes year after year after year.

Magdal
08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd be crying and saying this is all someone elses fault. Then, LaRussa would be gone and Albert would leave after '11. If that scenario happened......:thumbdown:eek::(Sorry, but that's a tad idiotic thinking that AP loves that lying, shifty old fossil so much that he would leave St.Louis. if Tony did.

I don't think there is a man on that team that would follow him even across the street. (ask Rolen and Edmonds and Cairo and Polanco and...and...well, I could go on forever.

Defacto
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry, but that's a tad idiotic thinking that AP loves that lying, shifty old fossil so much that he would leave St.Louis. if Tony did.

I don't think there is a man on that team that would follow him even across the street. (ask Rolen and Edmonds and Cairo and Polanco and...and...well, I could go on forever.

Polanco was traded for Rolen, Cairo was a FA(twice) and came to St. Louis, Edmonds wasn't the player he used to be(he still isn't) and they wanted Ankiel to play CF. Rolen is the only one of the players that you mentioned that feuded with LaRussa publicly like that. As much as some people dislike LaRussa, he's been able to do his job. If the Cardinals don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing some change at the managerial spot.

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Polanco was traded for Rolen, Cairo was a FA(twice) and came to St. Louis, Edmonds wasn't the player he used to be(he still isn't) and they wanted Ankiel to play CF. Rolen is the only one of the players that you mentioned that feuded with LaRussa publicly like that. As much as some people dislike LaRussa, he's been able to do his job. If the Cardinals don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing some change at the managerial spot.

Edmonds and Tony have always had a fatherly/son type relationship. After Edmonds was traded to San Diego and then went to the Cubs, the two had words for each other, but then during last season, Edmonds sat in the Cardinals booth and did an interview with the broadcasters. They tried their best to get him to say something bad about TLR, but Edmonds wouldn't do it. The next night, Edmonds was having a party at his resteraunt in St. Louis. LaRussa showed up and brought him a bottle of wine and the two made up. No problems since. Edmonds continues to tell everyone that TLR means a lot to him.

Rolen also made up with TLR and the two agreed to put everything in the past. As Rolen said, they agreed that while they can no longer wear the same uniform, they can be civil to each other and have a good relationship.

Pujols and Tony mean a lot to each other, but Pujols won't go just because Tony might. Pujols said he wants to be like Stan Musial and play for the Cardinals his entire career.

davereds24
08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
sounds like tony spends a lot of time on his knees

MikeThierry
08-24-2010, 12:38 AM

I think that since the triple crown is such an amazing feet, if Pujols wins it he will get the MVP from the sports writers even if the Cardinals don't make the playoffs.

It didn't hurt Bonds when he was getting votes year after year after year.

Exactly. Bonds is one of the biggest jerks in sports but still was voted on for MVP multiple times. Pujols should probably actually have 4 or 5 MVP's right now but Bonds overshadowed him.

cw0802
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Votto is having a great year and unless the wheels fall off of either player, it'll be a very close MVP race. Unfortunatly, I think Pujols will get the MVP because of his name...much like Bonds won the MVP over Pujols when we all knew Pujols was more deserving. Unless Pujols wins the triple crown, Votto should get the nod.

Swampturkey
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
The year that Howard won MVP, Pujols had better numbers in almost every single catagory except homers and rbi's, plus his team went to the playoffs.

They gave it to Howard any way. I think homers and rbi's are big with the voters.