PDA

View Full Version : Will Johnny Damon Be Claimed?

Gallen5862
08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Will Johnny Damon Be Claimed?
By Tim Dierkes [August 23 at 11:16am CST]
Tigers left fielder and designated hitter Johnny Damon was placed on waivers on Thursday, so the window to make a claim closes today. Damon explained the situation to MLB.com's Jason Beck on Friday:

Gallen5862
08-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Should the Reds claim Johnny Damon? Of his $8MM salary, about $1.8MM remains. He projects to be a Type B Free agent. If the Reds claim him they could possibly offer him arbitration and receive a draft pick in the 2011 draft.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Brewers released reliever David Riske. Riske has about $1MM remaining in 2010 salary, plus a $250K buyout for 2011. The Brewers will be on the hook for that minus the prorated league minimum if Riske signs elsewhere.

Should the Reds try to Sign Riske?Would he be a help to the bullpen? Riske was activated from the disabled list in June and has posted a 5.01 ERA, 6.2 K/9, and 3.1 BB/9 with two home runs allowed in 23.3 innings.

Joseph
08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
My opinion is no to each. Neither make the team better.

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I would definitely claim Damon, putting him in the #2 hole and LF for the remainder of the year would be quite solid. There really isn't any reason to believe he wouldn't help. Nix would be odd man out.

dsmith421
08-23-2010, 01:19 PM
My opinion is no to each. Neither make the team better.

I think Damon is a huge upgrade on Gomes offensively and defensively. I would absolutely claim Johnny Damon. The question is whether Detroit would let him go.

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I think Damon is a huge upgrade on Gomes offensively and defensively. I would absolutely claim Johnny Damon. The question is whether Detroit would let him go.

Why not they are 2 games under .500 at this point. If not we attempt to make a deal for him and aren't pressed to have to have him.

BRM
08-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I like Damon but I doubt Walt will try to acquire him now that he has Edmonds.

medford
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Is Damon a righty or lefty bat? Its been so long since I've seen him that I can't remember. If Righty, seems like Heisey would be the odd man out for the next 10 days or however long until Sep 1 and for the playoffs. I think I'd rather have Heisey & Damon for the playoffs than Gomes & Heisey, but would be surprised to see them drop Gomes over Heisey since Heisey has options and could be back on Sep 1. I don't see them dropping Nix at this point. He's been hot lately and while he struggles vs lefties, he's always been pretty solid vs righties, a nice option to have in the playoffs.

However, the question is, how much does Detroit value his draft pick comp next year, vs the $1.8 mil they could clear off the payroll. I doubt they'd expect much back at this point, but the only reason to pull him back is if you think that draft pick comp is worth the $1.8 mil you have to spend this season.

finally, since he has to go thru the entire AL, plus most of the NL (including the Cards) I don't think the Reds ever get a chance. I'm kind of hoping he gets picked up by an AL team so that the cards can't win the claiming rights over the Reds. Seems like he'd provide more value to the Cards (can he play RF?) lineup than he would to the Reds at this point.

TRF
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I have this weird theory.

Pitchers that switch leagues get a bump vs. batters 1-9, and say 1-8 if it's an NL pitcher going to the AL. But for hitters, it's almost always tougher switching leagues. The pitcher has the advantage anyhow in most matchups, but all he needs to know is where a hitter's weakness is, what he's prone to make outs on.

I'd pass on Damon for that reason alone.

HotCorner
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Walt said no.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/22/jocketty-on-owings-damon-and-catching/

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Is Damon a righty or lefty bat? Its been so long since I've seen him that I can't remember. If Righty, seems like Heisey would be the odd man out for the next 10 days or however long until Sep 1 and for the playoffs. I think I'd rather have Heisey & Damon for the playoffs than Gomes & Heisey, but would be surprised to see them drop Gomes over Heisey since Heisey has options and could be back on Sep 1. I don't see them dropping Nix at this point. He's been hot lately and while he struggles vs lefties, he's always been pretty solid vs righties, a nice option to have in the playoffs.

However, the question is, how much does Detroit value his draft pick comp next year, vs the $1.8 mil they could clear off the payroll. I doubt they'd expect much back at this point, but the only reason to pull him back is if you think that draft pick comp is worth the $1.8 mil you have to spend this season.

finally, since he has to go thru the entire AL, plus most of the NL (including the Cards) I don't think the Reds ever get a chance. I'm kind of hoping he gets picked up by an AL team so that the cards can't win the claiming rights over the Reds. Seems like he'd provide more value to the Cards (can he play RF?) lineup than he would to the Reds at this point.

Damon is a LH. And no he can't play RF his arm barely makes him acceptable in LF. But his bat in a platoon with Heisey or Gomes is a wise one.

Danny Serafini
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Should the Reds try to Sign Riske?Would he be a help to the bullpen? Riske was activated from the disabled list in June and has posted a 5.01 ERA, 6.2 K/9, and 3.1 BB/9 with two home runs allowed in 23.3 innings.

I think you answered your own question with those numbers. No thanks.

Reds Fanatic
08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Damon has been up and down all year. He gets hot for short period and then goes into a slump. He is in a big slump right now. His OBP this month is .269.

OesterPoster
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
He's been claimed by someone. I'm guessing it's the Rays or Rangers.

Ken_Rosenthal
Damon claimed. Don't know team. #Tigers #MLB 4 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Reds Fanatic
08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Manny Ramirez is going on waivers this week as well:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5490103

Brutus
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
It would be a hoot if it were Boston (Damon, not Manny, though Manny would be an even bigger kick).

IslandRed
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
It would be a hoot if it were Boston (Damon, not Manny, though Manny would be an even bigger kick).

That's the word. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/red-sox-claim-johnny-damon.html)

RedLegSuperStar
08-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Johnny Damon was claimed by the Red Sox

It seems as though there might be a chance for a reunion but Damon has a list of 8 teams he'd accept a trade to and the Sox are not on that list. I would imagine though he accepts the deal. Makes sense for all.

Brutus
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
That's the word. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/red-sox-claim-johnny-damon.html)

I hope he accepts if a deal is worked out.

Any Red Sox-turned Yankee-turned Rex Sox would have to instantly go down in baseball history.

medford
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Remember when Damon, Carlos Beltran and some other Carlos were all in KC and were going to restore the glory days. Can't be fun being a Royals fan the last 20 years.

medford
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
If the Tigers don't pull him back, does Damon's no trade clause even matter? I assume not.

Brutus
08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
If the Tigers don't pull him back, does Damon's no trade clause even matter? I assume not.

I believe you are correct. That's an excellent question though.

Chip R
08-23-2010, 04:42 PM

I was wondering the same thing myself. I'd guess DET would want something for him.

TRF
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. I'd guess DET would want something for him.

Did Florida get anything for Ross?

Chip R
08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

I dunno. Did Ross have a no-trade deal to SF?

CarolinaRedleg
08-23-2010, 04:50 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5484245

I dunno. From reading this, it sounds like he was just handed over, to borrow a line, "grab a brew, don't cost nuthin'."

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM

No heard S.F. claimed and Florida let them have him. Kind of like ChiSox and Toronto with Rios last year.

medford
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Perhaps the $1.8 mil in salary relief is all their hoping for? Perhaps its better than a comp pick in their eyes? Perhaps they think they can get Damon to waive his no trade clause to Boston. I don't know, but either way they'll get something if they just let him go to Boston.

MattyHo4Life
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
It's possible that the Red Sox don't even want to trade for him. They may have only claimed him so that the Yankees couldn't get him. If it is true that the Red Sox only blocked the Yankees, and don't really want him, then I hope they are stuck with him. :)

the comp pick may not even be a factor. I would think the risk of him accepting arbitration would be too great to offer it to him. I'm guessing Boras would see that arbitration would net Damon more than he could get on the FA market.

blumj
08-23-2010, 06:07 PM

It apparently depends on the specifics in the contract, but, in this case, Damon does have the right to block a waiver claim. Seems more like a block of Tampa and/or NYY, they might be expecting him to veto it, but it's not like they'll go broke or won't be able to squeeze him onto their roster if he doesn't.

BRM
08-24-2010, 04:05 PM
The latest, courtesy of MLBTradeRumors:

2:45pm: Damon spoke to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe on his way to the ballpark today, saying he's still leaning toward staying with the Tigers. However, he would change his mind if the Tigers tell him they plan to reduce his playing time in favor of younger players.

blumj
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Johnny Damon has just told the Detroit media he is staying in Detroit.

Damon must have received assurance that he will continue to be a regular player in the Detroit lineup.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/08/damon_staying_p.html

Brutus
08-24-2010, 06:22 PM
EDIT: nevermind.

I think I know the answer to my own question. It's all in the language. I'm pretty sure Damon could block a claim just as much as a trade because it would be considered an assignment from one major league club to another--and he probably has the ability to give his permission to be assigned.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
That can't be good for Boston.. Can it? A beloved player there who left.. probably for the same reason he didn't reunite. I think Boston might be heading in the wrong direction and Damon knows that.

blumj
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
EDIT: nevermind.

I think I know the answer to my own question. It's all in the language. I'm pretty sure Damon could block a claim just as much as a trade because it would be considered an assignment from one major league club to another--and he probably has the ability to give his permission to be assigned.

I don't know if it was ever reported in so many words, but he's represented by Boras and Jon Heyman always seemed certain he could block a claim. I'd be shocked if Manny's contract isn't the same.

IslandRed
08-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't know if it was ever reported in so many words, but he's represented by Boras and Jon Heyman always seemed certain he could block a claim. I'd be shocked if Manny's contract isn't the same.

I would expect just about everyone's no-trade clause contract language is worded similarly these days, just because allowing any team to nab the player on waivers is a ocean-liner-sized loophole to the very reason a player wants the no-trade in the first place.