PDA

View Full Version : Who is Your Favorite (Non Reds) Radio Announcing Team?

Juaru5
08-23-2010, 07:49 PM
The Vin Scully thread got me thinkin'. I listen to most games on XM, so when we're on the road I get the home announcers. Some good, some bad, some really bad. I like the Phillies guys, Larry Andersen and somebody else. Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday of the dodgers are a close second.

Whoever does the astros games are, by far, the worst in the National League. With the Cubs (Santo in particular) a close second.

What do you think?

John A

Orodle
08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
DBacks even with Scully

Hey Meat
08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Brewers. I love Uecker. The Astros tick me off. Always very critical of the Reds. I really can't stand their TV guys,Jim Deshaies in particular. The CUbs are laughable. Ron Santo is not exactly an eloquent man, pretty funny to listen to especially if you are drinking beer while listening to the game.

mound_patrol
08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Its easily Scully. Love that guys voice. Could listen to him all day.

AintlifeGrande
08-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Scully,and Scully.

mu4103
08-23-2010, 08:50 PM
My ranks:

1. Vin Scully - (Dodgers)
2. Joe Buck - (Tim McCarver is ok) (Fox)
3. Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds (MLB Network)
4. Gary Cohen and Ralph Kiner (New York Mets)
5. Joe Gargiola - (D-backs)

mu4103
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Brewers. I love Uecker. The Astros tick me off. Always very critical of the Reds. I really can't stand their TV guys,Jim Deshaies in particular. The CUbs are laughable. Ron Santo is not exactly an eloquent man, pretty funny to listen to especially if you are drinking beer while listening to the game.

I agree - living in Houston - the Astros announcers are boring. Milo Hamilton is suposed to be a legend - I think he is annoying. This from a guy who loved listening to Harry Carey. I liked Joe Miller when he was with the Orioles, but not with the Giants. The Phillies were always said to have good announcers (Harry Kalas, Richie Ashburn) but I thought they were annoying "homers" too. This may be partially because I grew up in central PA surrounded by too many annoying Phillies' fans.

larks
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Listened to the Dodgers feed of yesterday's game (mostly cause I heard the rumor that it was Scully's last game). One of the most enjoyable games I have ever listened to on the radio. Beyond Scully's unreplicable cadence and vast knowledge about baseball and both teams in yesterday's game, Monday and Steiner are just as fun to listen to. They did a great job selling Votto's at bat for what it was: an MVP caliber at bat.

Imagine Santo calling that at bat. Or shudder whatever that moron for the White Sox's name is...Harrelson ..you know he gone.

1. Scully/Monday/Steiner
2. Uecker
3. Krukow and Kuiper

mlh1981
08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and enjoyed listening to Lanny Frattare.

Very good announcer.

I don't find their current crew very impressive at all. Whomever does the play by play isn't TOO too bad, but the commentary is terrible.

MikeThierry
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Mike Shannon has his moments sometimes as well. He was discussing the other day which came first: The chicken or the Egg and it was quite funny. Sure, he sounds drunk half of the time while he is in the broadcast booth but still a fun time to listen to.

bounty37h
08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
DBacks even with Scully

??

Kingspoint
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I really enjoy the Mets' TV Broadcaster. I don't know any radio broadcasters.

New York Red
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I haven't heard enough others to even start a list, but none could compare to the radio team I grew up listening to - Marty and Joe. I guess I'm spoiled.

mlh1981
08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm a big fan of Dick Enberg, and when I watch the MLB TV live look ins, I always enjoy hearing his voice behind the mic of Padres games

MikeThierry
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Jon Miller is also an excellent broadcaster for the Giants.