PDA

View Full Version : Rob Dibble to Stephen Strasburg: "suck it up"

mlh1981
08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/rob_dibble_to_stephen_strasbur.html

Who is gonna take career longevity advice from Rob Dibble?

RedsFanInBama
08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
There's been an awful lot of drama around the kid in his two months in major league baseball.

Boston Red
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Rob Dibble is (and always has been) an idiot. Perhaps if he was a little brighter his career would have lasted a bit longer.

10xWSChamps
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I have no idea who Ron Dibble is but he's a moron

Redeye fly
08-24-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm going to take the contrary position and defend Dibs a little bit.

I mean, I can at least understand his basic argument, which is this. It's the organization's job to protect the health of their long term investment. But it's the player's job to go out there and play if at all possible.

I mean, if a player is concerned that something is seriously wrong then he has to be concerned about his health too. But honestly, the way it goes is that most players typically have to be dragged off the field and do try to play through or even hide injuries. It's not the "smart thing" to do most of the time. I mean really, do most players call guys out from the dugout if something is bothering them? If and when they do, it usually is very serious... like season ending surgery. I know Jake Peavy was quoted as saying that if you ever see him walk off the mound and walk to the dugout due to an injury than it's bad. He did that this year, and it was an injury that ended his season and perhaps threatens his career. Most guys don't call the manager and trainer out to the mound or out on the field unless it's followed by a trip to the DL, and usually a rather lengthy one.

So I can see why he would be put off as an ex player. As a fan, I don't particularly care either way. But I wouldn't be surprised if even some of his teammates might start to look at him as a bit of a drama queen. I don't know, but I could see it.