PDA

View Full Version : Should Manny be Manny in Cinci?

Brutus
08-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Picking up with the momentum of the polls today, I ask you to ponder this question:

With the Dodgers placing Manny on waivers, should the Reds put in a claim?

It seems there's a decent chance LA will attempt to work out a trade if he's claimed. While San Francisco, who's higher in the waiver priority, may very well jump all over that (thereby giving Cincinnati no chance), if I'm the Reds, I seriously consider this possibility if the Dodgers would take on Gomes (small peanuts given his salary).

I think Manny is still productive enough that it would be tremendous to put him in the lineup with Votto, Rolen and possibly Edmonds in a playoff scenario. Manny's defense leaves a ton to be desired, but who am I kidding... given the defensive performance of the current LF, beggars can't be choosy.

So what say ye. Should the Reds go after Man-Ram.

11larkin11
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Why not spell it out or just say Nati to keep the rhyme?

Amateur.

Scrap Irony
08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Yep.

Manny's bat can be a difference maker in LF. Put him behind Votto and Rolen and he may catch fire. He's worth the gamble.

MattyHo4Life
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes, but I would hope the Cardinals would claim him first. lol

savafan
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, he would be a serious catalyst to lead this team into October, and he's only owed about $1 million for the rest of the year.

Brutus
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, but I would hope the Cardinals would claim him first. lol

I suppose they could simply to block Cincinnati, but I don't know if they'd risk doing that since they'd have no place to play him if LA didn't pull him back. They'd be stuck paying a bunch of salary the rest of the season for a guy with no place to play.

Reds Fanatic
08-23-2010, 10:54 PM
If he was totally healthy it might be worth a shot but he has been on the DL 3 times this year. He has played 3 games in the last 2 months. While his bat might help defensively he is just as bad as Gomes.

Tornon
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey, I like being the lone wolf

RedLegSuperStar
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Bring on Man-Man-Ati. I'd deal them a mid level prospect and look for some cash in return as well. I'd see if possibly a Danny Dorn and Del Rosario for Manny and cash.

I then DFA Laynce Nix.. Sorry for those who'd rather go Gomes. Gomes power is far more superior to Nix. Just rough last two months. Add Corky to the 40 man roster and call it a day. You can't tell me ticket sales wouldn't justify the acquisition.

RedsMan3203
08-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Now batting 5th and playing LF for YOUR Cincinnati Reds, Manny Ramirez.

:Crowd goes wild: Ahhhhhhh

nemesis
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Now batting 5th and playing LF for YOUR Cincinnati Reds, Manny Ramirez.

:Crowd goes wild: Ahhhhhhh

I'd bat him 4th behind Votto. He is a much better RBI man than Rolen. Also gives Votto more protection.

Phillips
Janish
Votto
Manny
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs/Edmonds
Hanny/Ramon

Sick sick sick.

reds44
08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Why not. Let him play 7 innings and then bring in a defensive replacement.

He can't be that much worse than Gomes has been out there.

nate
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I'd bat him 4th behind Votto. He is a much better RBI man than Rolen. Also gives Votto more protection.

Phillips
Janish
Votto
Manny
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs/Edmonds
Hanny/Ramon

Sick sick sick.

Manny would actually be the second best "RBI man" amongst all Reds with 160 PA or more.

But, yes...that would be a good lineup!

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes. His defense is awful but at least he can hit.

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 01:34 AM
It would be a good move for sure. And the salary wouldn't be that expensive for 5-6 weeks. This lineup would be very dangerous with Manny in it.

Ghosts of 1990
08-24-2010, 01:38 AM
I think that pujols will be lobbying for St. louis to pick him up. And I think the Dodgers will pick up most of the tab. We'll see if this isn't what happens but don't be surprised

Matt700wlw
08-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Adding Manny to the Ocho and T.O.s of this town is insane, but I love the idea!

steig
08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I would love to see Manny with the Reds, as long as it is just for the rest of this year. He could be a difference maker in the line up and gives the Reds potent bat with post season experience.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Nobody's concerned with the team's chemistry? Seriously? We're talking Manny Ramirez here folks. Team distractions don't come much bigger than him. Add in the fact that he's quite past his prime, hasn't really had more than a handful of AB's in months, and his defense is atrocious...I'm not seeing much upside here. If we're going to assume he'll hit like he did last year or previous years I think we're all in for a big disappointment. I'd go so far as to say he's most likely done after this season.

pahster
08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Nobody's concerned with the team's chemistry? Seriously? We're talking Manny Ramirez here folks. Team distractions don't come much bigger than him. Add in the fact that he's quite past his prime, hasn't really had more than a handful of AB's in months, and his defense is atrocious...I'm not seeing much upside here. If we're going to assume he'll hit like he did last year or previous years I think we're all in for a big disappointment. I'd go so far as to say he's most likely done after this season.

His health is certainly a concern, but you realize that he has a 149 OPS+ this year, right?

Unassisted
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Nobody's concerned with the team's chemistry? Seriously? We're talking Manny Ramirez here folks. Team distractions don't come much bigger than him. Add in the fact that he's quite past his prime, hasn't really had more than a handful of AB's in months, and his defense is atrocious.
You just explained my "no" vote. :D

westofyou
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
No, he's too much of a circus in the clubhouse and field at this point to bring him on this young (over performing) Reds team.

His makeup and this teams makeup are like the Lyle Lovett - Julia Roberts marriage.

RedsManRick
08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I love the idea of Manny. But I think the reality would be disappointing. That said, I prefer Manny to Gomes. If it just costs money that the Reds are willing to spend, I'm game.

blumj
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
He has the ability to block a deal, he can't be forced to go somewhere he doesn't want to go, so whatever team winds up with him can't get saddled with the "I don't want to be here" version of the Manny Circus, they get the fun-filled honeymoon version. Which doesn't last very long, but as long as they don't fall for the same trap the Dodgers fell for and re-sign him, I don't think it's much of a risk.

Roy Tucker
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I like the idea of the Reds' current young stars being the focal point of the team. But once Manny came here, all that would fly out the window.

I don't know how to quantify the Reds' team chemistry, but I do think it is contributing to their success. I'm afraid Manny would wreck that, either by distraction or "being Manny". Let's play the cards we've been dealt.

Slyder
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
If Manny is healthy he is a game changing bat in the middle of the lineup. That said I think his laid back attitude plus the pennant chase would thrive in Cincy for the rest of the year. His defense cannot be worse than Gomes and would be a huge boon in the PR department. If we gotta trade a couple b-c prospects like we got for Dunn and Manny is truely healthy I'd jumped all over everyday and twice on Sundays.

If the Reds did this deal and Manny came in and started launching balls all over GABP got us into deep into a playoffs it would add to Manny's legend.

Brutus
08-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I like the idea of the Reds' current young stars being the focal point of the team. But once Manny came here, all that would fly out the window.

I don't know how to quantify the Reds' team chemistry, but I do think it is contributing to their success. I'm afraid Manny would wreck that, either by distraction or "being Manny". Let's play the cards we've been dealt.

I think those are fair points, but it could have the opposite affect--his attention could actually help the young guys. Having Manny in the lineup would take away a lot of pressure of Votto, Bruce and some of the others. It might serve to give Rolen additional protection that I think he could use down the stretch.

The great thing about Manny is the attention is often about Manny. That could possibly be a good thing for the Reds.

nate
08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Looks (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/white-sox-plan-to-claim-manny-ramirez.html) like the White Sox plan to claim Manny.

The Voice of IH
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
White sox have to hope no NL team claims though, so if the Reds want him, then they can still have him.

The Voice of IH
08-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I think those are fair points, but it could have the opposite affect--his attention could actually help the young guys. Having Manny in the lineup would take away a lot of pressure of Votto, Bruce and some of the others. It might serve to give Rolen additional protection that I think he could use down the stretch.

The great thing about Manny is the attention is often about Manny. That could possibly be a good thing for the Reds.

plus, with TO and Chad in Cincy the pressure would be down on manny aswell.

Chip R
08-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Looks (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/white-sox-plan-to-claim-manny-ramirez.html) like the White Sox plan to claim Manny.

That makes sense. He'd be a good fit there - if healthy.

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

If it were a whole season, I might be more concerned...but we're talking about 5 weeks of regular season play at this point. I don't think he's just going to come into town and change everything.

I(heart)Freel
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Last night's two injuries (although one is less serious) does add an interesting wrinkle to the Man-cinnati possibility.

RichRed
08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Last night's two injuries (although one is less serious) does add an interesting wrinkle to the Man-cinnati possibility.

The Mancinnati Ramireds - I like it. In a this-could-either-be-awesome-or-a-disaster kind of way.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
If it were a whole season, I might be more concerned...but we're talking about 5 weeks of regular season play at this point. I don't think he's just going to come into town and change everything.

And considering how long he's been off and his rapidly increasing age...I don't think he's just going to come into town and change ANYTHING.

But regardless, even for a short period of time, I think he'd be a distraction...especially considering how important this short period of time is.

RedsMan3203
08-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Manny hasn't ever been on a team like the Reds... Rolen, OCab, Jimmy E, Rhodes, Cario.... He wouldn't get away with the crap that has gone on in the past as they wouldn't allow it...

I'd go for it.. 99 out of 100 times...

nemesis
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Jocketty said the Reds would "defiantly not" be interested in Manny.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 07:54 PM

:clap:

Slyder
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM

If the front office believes he's not truely healthy fine. If this is just because of fear of "Manny being Manny" then BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

buckeyenut
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I think it would be great. Manny always steps up in the playoffs.

Brutus
08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
ESPN is reporting that Manny has now been placed on waivers. The claims will be valid until Friday, 2 PM. We know the White Sox will be putting in a claim. I imagine the Giants may still do so, and anyone in the NL would have priority over Chicago.

RFS62
08-25-2010, 06:48 PM
No thanks.

He's potential clubhouse poison.

I know many see no problem with that. I do.

Remember how he left Boston?

blumj
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Wait, did he really say they would defiantly not be interested in Manny or was that supposed to say definitely? Because, "we would defiantly not be interested" in anything is a pretty strange thing to say.

Brutus
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Wait, did he really say they would defiantly not be interested in Manny or was that supposed to say definitely? Because, "we would defiantly not be interested" in anything is a pretty strange thing to say.

I think it was a quote from Fay. You do the math.

;)

KronoRed
08-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Remember how he left Boston?

With two rings? ;)

I think Dusty can keep Manny in check, but Walt will never ever claim him.

RFS62
08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
With two rings? ;)

I think Dusty can keep Manny in check, but Walt will never ever claim him.

Cute. And accurate.

But purposely missing the point, I believe.

I know a guy pretty well who was on that team, and he told me some interesting stories about how it all went down and the effect it had on the team.

You CANNOT discount the human element of all this, no matter how smart you think it makes you look, or how dumb you think I am for giving it weight.

KronoRed
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
You CANNOT discount the human element of all this, no matter how smart you think it makes you look, or how dumb you think I am for giving it weight.

Please RFS, I am far from "smart" and I certainly didn't question your intelligence either.

All I am saying is Manny has been on winnings teams and his bat (if healthy) would make the Reds much more formidable.

RFS62
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Please RFS, I am far from "smart" and I certainly didn't question your intelligence either.

All I am saying is Manny has been on winnings teams and his bat (if healthy) would make the Reds much more formidable.

Hey Krono, I didn't think you questioned my limited intelligence. And I think you are pretty smart, always have.

I'm suggesting there's more to the formula than numbers.

blumj
08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Hearing on the radio, Manny did not clear waivers, Heyman saying he was claimed by more than one team.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

reds44
08-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Hearing on the radio, Manny did not clear waivers, Heyman saying he was claimed by more than one team.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

jaysonst #WhiteSox were the team awarded the claim on Manny, according to MLB source. Strong indications #Rangers & #Rays also claimed him.

blumj
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Disappointing, just because I was hoping for a big surprise mystery team.

Brutus
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
ESPN reporting that the Dodgers will simply not revoke the White Sox' claim of Manny, thus, Manny will be in Chicago the rest of the season.

Amazing that they aren't even going to bother getting something in return.

pedro
08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
ESPN reporting that the Dodgers will simply not revoke the White Sox' claim of Manny, thus, Manny will be in Chicago the rest of the season.

Amazing that they aren't even going to bother getting something in return.

Salary relief and removing him as an influence on other players is quite enough IMO.

Marc D
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I wonder if the stunt he pulled today helped the Dodgers see their way clear to just be done with it?

I'm thinking so.

RedFanAlways1966
08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Manny = unprofessional.

Let Chicago have him.

muddie
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Salary relief and removing him as an influence on other players is quite enough IMO.

Agreed. Why would you want to subject a fairly young club house to this guys traveling circus? Rolen, Edmonds, and Arroyo are the kind of personalties the younger guys need to be around, not some self serving media hound like Manny.

blumj
08-30-2010, 09:16 AM
The White Sox go to Fenway next weekend, although he was already back as a Dodger in June, to a very mixed reaction, a strangely anticlimactic loudly booing standing ovation.

Unassisted
08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the stunt he pulled today helped the Dodgers see their way clear to just be done with it?

I'm thinking so.It should have. Makes me glad that Walt wanted nothing to do with him. Clearly, Manny wasn't in it for his team when he got tossed after 1 pitch.

blumj
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
It should have. Makes me glad that Walt wanted nothing to do with him. Clearly, Manny wasn't in it for his team when he got tossed after 1 pitch.
I know what Manny's capable of, so I wouldn't put it past him to get thrown out on purpose, but the strike call in question was terrible and he didn't do anything that you could see that you'd think he should have been tossed for doing. And I've seen enough umpire overreactions this season to at least question whether he said anything that players don't routinely get away with saying.

Torre defended him, anyway, and it sounds like the umpire might have just been primed to eject the next guy who complained. Manny's maybe the last guy I'd ever expect to have enough awareness to realize that, though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100829&content_id=14072728&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Marc D
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I know what Manny's capable of, so I wouldn't put it past him to get thrown out on purpose, but the strike call in question was terrible and he didn't do anything that you could see that you'd think he should have been tossed for doing. And I've seen enough umpire overreactions this season to at least question whether he said anything that players don't routinely get away with saying.

Torre defended him, anyway, and it sounds like the umpire might have just been primed to eject the next guy who complained. Manny's maybe the last guy I'd ever expect to have enough awareness to realize that, though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100829&content_id=14072728&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100829&content_id=14072728&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

I don't know. I'm actually usually pretty easy on Manny compared to most but he gave that ump no choice and, imo, that pitch wasn't anywhere near bad enough to get tossed over. I don't think the ump would have just walked away like he did if he was looking for trouble. I saw a mildly borderline first pitch that Manny used as an excuse to get tossed. I think he did it to show the Dodgers he's in charge and he wanted to be let go to a playoff contender.

All that said I would still be happy to take Manny if it were possible because he doesn't do stuff like this at the beginning of his time with a new team, it comes at the end. He'll give you the good Manny for a while, especially in the playoffs and if we were to get anything like the playoff Manny of past years to go with Votto and company I'd be happy to deal with Manny's act a couple of years down the road.

Crosley68
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't know. I'm actually usually pretty easy on Manny compared to most but he gave that ump no choice and, imo, that pitch wasn't anywhere near bad enough to get tossed over. I don't think the ump would have just walked away like he did if he was looking for trouble. I saw a mildly borderline first pitch that Manny used as an excuse to get tossed. I think he did it to show the Dodgers he's in charge and he wanted to be let go to a playoff contender.

All that said I would still be happy to take Manny if it were possible because he doesn't do stuff like this at the beginning of his time with a new team, it comes at the end. He'll give you the good Manny for a while, especially in the playoffs and if we were to get anything like the playoff Manny of past years to go with Votto and company I'd be happy to deal with Manny's act a couple of years down the road.

Really? The angle I saw from directly over the plate showed it was at least 6 inches outside. I am usually a Manny basher but darn they might have had to throw me out too.

blumj
08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
I think my problem is that I've become almost as skeptical of most umpires' ability to behave like the adults in these situations as I am of Manny's.

blumj
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Moments before he was to sit in front of an assembled mass, the fluent English speaker informed the White Sox that he would need a translator.

A shocked Joey Cora was summoned and other than one short answer in English, Ramirez conducted his first interview in a White Sox uniform speaking his native Spanish and having Cora do what ended up being a select translation.

The beautiful part of the entire scene was that Ramirezís English is as good, if not better than Coraís.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagowhite-sox/post/_/id/1851/white-sox-manny-at-fork-in-road

Brutus
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagowhite-sox/post/_/id/1851/white-sox-manny-at-fork-in-road

I think that's hilarious, actually.

CTA513
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM

:bowrofl:

sonny
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I know it wasn't going to happen, but for the sake of conversation, thank God Manny didn't get to be Manny in Cincinnati.

His performance since the trade to the White Sox has been crappy to say it lightly.

pahster
09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I know it wasn't going to happen, but for the sake of conversation, thank God Manny didn't get to be Manny in Cincinnati.

His performance since the trade to the White Sox has been crappy to say it lightly.

Zero extra base hits, but his OBP is .463.

Red in Chicago
09-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Manny's on the Sox??!!!:p: