PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds and Nix pulled (injury)

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 12:26 AM
anyone have any updates?

reds44
08-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Edmonds strained his oblique, that's the same injury OC has. Definatley a DL trip, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the year.

Nix sprained his ankle. Hopefully he'll be day to day.

My best guess is you see Francisco come up for Edmonds until OC is ready to return.

Brutus
08-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Edmonds strained his oblique, that's the same injury OC has. Definatley a DL trip, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the year.

Nix sprained his ankle. Hopefully he'll be day to day.

My best guess is you see Francisco come up for Edmonds until OC is ready to return.

Out six weeks with a strained oblique? Very doubtful.

He'll be back. It might be later in September, but it's unlikely that will sideline him the rest of the season.

nemesis
08-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Out six weeks with a strained oblique? Very doubtful.

He'll be back. It might be later in September, but it's unlikely that will sideline him the rest of the season.

It's very possible. Depends on how his 40 year old body responds to treatment and the severity of it. Cabrera is at 3+ weeks right now and could be another week.

NDRed
08-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Is anyone operating on anything more than pure speculation or is there real information out there?

OP said "any updates" not what's your opinion.

reds44
08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Is anyone operating on anything more than pure speculation or is there real information out there?

Those were both updates.

Edmonds-strained oblique
Nix-sprained ankle

kaldaniels
08-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Should I start up a "Nix/Edmonds Injured-Opinion" Thread? Are opinions simply forbidden? Please enlighten me on the decorum ND.

Brutus
08-24-2010, 01:06 AM
It's very possible. Depends on how his 40 year old body responds to treatment and the severity of it. Cabrera is at 3+ weeks right now and could be another week.

Cabrera has already said he's pretty much ready to come back. The only reason he's not back is because the Reds can free up another eligible option for the postseason if they wait one more week.

reds44
08-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Fay just tweeted that Nix will be able to PH tomorrow, so he's fine.

He also said the Reds are looking at adding a reliever.

LoganBuck
08-24-2010, 07:29 AM
He also said the Reds are looking at adding a reliever.

You can thank Edinson Volquez for that.

15fan
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Let this be a lesson to all.

Don't. Mess. With. Number. 15.

Phhhl
08-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Brad Hawpe is still out there. I think he becomes eligible to sign today, for whatever can be negotiated. He could do a platoon with Gomes in left, and provide insurance that this offense won't fall off a cliff if Votto misses any more time with the bad back. Texas is supposed to be interested, but it's hard to see him getting a better opportunity among the contenders anywhere else.

11larkin11
08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
If they stick with 4'OFers I could see Wlad up with Springer to 60 day DL

Danny Serafini
08-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Springer is going on the 60 today. He had surgery for a herniated disk and is done for the year.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Juan Francisco and Aaron Harang.. Corky will be the one who takes that 40 man spot to insure the Reds have 3 catchers come September. Just a guess.

dfs
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Brad Hawpe is still out there. I think he becomes eligible to sign today, for whatever can be negotiated. He could do a platoon with Gomes in left, and provide insurance that this offense won't fall off a cliff if Votto misses any more time with the bad back. Texas is supposed to be interested, but it's hard to see him getting a better opportunity among the contenders anywhere else.

this.

very much this.

Mario-Rijo
08-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Juan Francisco and Aaron Harang.. Corky will be the one who takes that 40 man spot to insure the Reds have 3 catchers come September. Just a guess.

Yeah I think this is the most likely scenario.

reds44
08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
If we call up a reliever for "length" instead of Chapman my head will explode.

reds1869
08-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Then I suggest you prepare for a big bang. Walt has said repeatedly that Chapman will be called up sometime after September 1 and I don't see that changing. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

Kc61
08-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, the Reds need the length right at this moment. Leake, Smith, perhaps even Bray are unavailable due to recent long outings. What happens if Wood has an early exit tonight?

Thankfully, September 1 is around the corner and the Reds can add some relievers and then avoid the problem. But for the next couple of days, they will need the length.

I expect Francisco and Harang to come up. Edmonds DL, and one pitcher (maybe Smith) to go down to AAA.

Chip R
08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think the Reds can recall Fisher, can they? Wouldn't another pitcher have to be put on the DL for Fisher to be recalled since it hasn't been 10 days? Maybe it'll be Del Rosario or Maloney.

OesterPoster
08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
IMO, it'll be Harang for insurance against Wood exiting early tonight. Smith down to AAA.
Francisco up, Edmonds to the DL. I guess it could be LeCure or Maloney, but they're each scheduled to start for Louisville today and tomorrow.

Just need Wood to get through 6 innings tonight, then Dusty can use Rhodes, Masset, and Cordero if need be. Tomorrow, all hands on deck with the off day Thursday.

Joseph
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
You have to do what you have to do to win, I understand that. But it'd be a real raw move to option Smith in favor of Harang knowing Smith won't be eligible for the playoffs as a result.

Danny Serafini
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
You have to do what you have to do to win, I understand that. But it'd be a real raw move to option Smith in favor of Harang knowing Smith won't be eligible for the playoffs as a result.

With three pitchers on the 60 day DL and the three extra pitchers the Reds can add to the playoff eligible list because of that it will be real easy to make Smith eligible. There won't be any problem getting anyone they really want onto the playoff roster.

Heath
08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe Volquez goes on the 15 day with a sore neck or shoulder.

;)

mbgrayson
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe Volquez goes on the 15 day with a sore neck or shoulder.

;)

Or a sore E.R.A.....

edabbs44
08-24-2010, 01:29 PM

You'd have to assume that Walt knows how to play this playoff roster game. He's been through this one or twice.

Ghosts of 1990
08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
How do these injuries affect the playing time of Bruce/Gomes/Heisey/Stubbs?

Chip R
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
How do these injuries affect the playing time of Bruce/Gomes/Heisey/Stubbs?

It will increase.

OesterPoster
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Reds face 3 lefties in a row (Sanchez, Bumgarner, Gorzelanny)...so Nix probably wasn't going to be starting for a bit anyway. Gives him time to heal the ankle. We were probably going to see quite a bit of Gomes/Heisey/Stubbs the next few days anyway.

Ghosts of 1990
08-24-2010, 01:51 PM
It will increase.

Great insight here.

I mean against RHP now, who do you want to see starting in the OF? Against LHP? etc.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
It doesn't look like the Reds will be making any moves today. Wladimir Balentien and Juan Francisco are both in Louisville's lineup.

BRM
08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
It doesn't look like the Reds will be making any moves today. Wladimir Balentien and Juan Francisco are both in Louisville's lineup.

You mean the Reds might play short-handed for a while before making a move? I'm shocked. ;)

I guess they are waiting a bit on Edmonds. I thought maybe they are going to call up a pitcher since it won't be Francisco but they already have 12 pitchers on the roster.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Seriously though, it could mean a pitcher is coming up to take Edmonds spot. Assuming he's headed to the DL.

True. I didn't think of that. Kris Negron (SS) and Lee Tabor (LHP) were promoted to Louisville so that could be indication that a player from Louisville is on his way to San Francisco.

BRM
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
True. I didn't think of that. Kris Negron (SS) and Lee Tabor (LHP) were promoted to Louisville so that could be indication that a player from Louisville is on his way to San Francisco.

That gives them 13 pitchers though. Unless someone else is headed down as well.

Tornon
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

What about Yonder? Is he in the lineup?

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Reds face 3 lefties in a row (Sanchez, Bumgarner, Gorzelanny)...so Nix probably wasn't going to be starting for a bit anyway. Gives him time to heal the ankle. We were probably going to see quite a bit of Gomes/Heisey/Stubbs the next few days anyway.

I hope Dusty does not sit Bruce more than once. He's been hot as of late. Gomes is the guy I would rather see sitting.

reds44
08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
That gives them 13 pitchers though. Unless someone else is headed down as well.
Well wouldn't that make sense considering how shot the bullpen has been?

It's not like you need six OFers anyway. Nix can pitch hit tonight, so the Reds still have 5 outfielders.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
What about Yonder? Is he in the lineup?

Yes.

Sam Lecure and Chris Valaika have been called up by the Reds.

http://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats

reds44
08-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes.

OMG.

Kc61
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes.

Reasons?

Valaika because Reds are about to face three southpaws? So lefty bats Francisco and Alonso don't really fit the need. Also, Reds have lots of outfielders, so Valaika rounds out the bench for awhile. And he's already on the forty man roster.

Lecure. Maybe as a long man he is rested and ready to go, as opposed to some others who might not be able to pitch immediately. Just guessing on that one.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I just wish they would call up Chapman already. He is overmatching Triple-A hitters. Forget waiting until September 1st, bring him up now. I can understand bringing up Lecure for now since the Reds need a guy who can eat innings after last night's short outing by Volquez, but they need to find a way to get Chapman up here as soon as possible. I would bring him up no later than this Friday vs the Cubs.

Homer Bailey
08-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Did anyone really think they were going to fly Chapman out to San Francisco for his first two days in the major leagues? I think it's safe to assume he's making his debut in Cincinnati.

BRM
08-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes.

http://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats (http://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats)

Edmonds to the DL obviously. What's the other move?

Homer Bailey
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM

I'm guessing Smith down.

top6
08-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Volquez to the DL?

CTA513
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Valaika being up should allow Janish to get a day off.

Homer Bailey
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Valaika being up should allow Janish to get a day off.

He doesn't need one, and Dusty has implied he's not getting one.

CTA513
08-24-2010, 02:49 PM
He doesn't need one, and Dusty has implied he's not getting one.

Every player needs a day off at some point.

Homer Bailey
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Every player needs a day off at some point.

He's had 4 months to rest, and several off days this month.

top6
08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Surprised they didn't just activate Cabrera, though. I guess he's not ready to play?

If not, they desperately needed an infielder. With Edmonds down, they lost their backup first baseman.

CTA513
08-24-2010, 03:00 PM
He's had 4 months to rest, and several off days this month.

That really doesn't mean much unless we've found a way to save up rest and use it in the future when needed.

lollipopcurve
08-24-2010, 03:04 PM
That really doesn't mean much unless we've found a way to save up rest and use it in the future when needed.

Nice.

Phillips needs a day off here and there too. With a day game Wednesday, it will be interesting to see if Dusty lets Valaika play. Usually the call-ups just sit.

Tornon
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
If not, they desperately needed an infielder. With Edmonds down, they lost their backup first baseman.

Cairo played first until Edmonds got here

Big Klu
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Cairo played first until Edmonds got here

Yeah, but Cairo was also backing up 2B, SS, and 3B. With Edmonds here, he at least didn't have to worry about backing up 1B as well.

Of course, they could always play Ramon at 1B and put Hanigan behind the plate.

Jpup
08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, but Cairo was also backing up 2B, SS, and 3B. With Edmonds here, he at least didn't have to worry about backing up 1B as well.

Of course, they could always play Ramon at 1B and put Hanigan behind the plate.

Valaika can play 1st.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Let this be a lesson to all.

Don't. Mess. With. Number. 15.

Btw...who are you referring to with the number 15? Foster?

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Did anyone really think they were going to fly Chapman out to San Francisco for his first two days in the major leagues? I think it's safe to assume he's making his debut in Cincinnati.

This. They're going to do everything they can to control his debut. No chance he'll start out on the road.

Big Klu
08-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Valaika can play 1st.

I think that was top6's point. Since Edmonds (backup 1B, as well as an OF) went down with an injury, the Reds needed another backup INF. Like him, I figured it would be Cabrera off the DL, but he still must not be ready. So Valaika is the obvious choice.

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Wladimir Balentien had another big night for Louisville as he went 3-for-4 with two HR (#23, 24) and 4 RBI. He got off to an awful start as posted a putrid .466 OPS in 34 atbats in April but after tonight's game he's now hitting .289 with an .897 OPS. I would like to see the Reds add him to the 40-man roster and bring him up in September. I honestly think he could match Gomes' offensive production and he's definitely an upgrade defensively. With his power and defense, I still think Balentien has a chance to develop into a decent major leaguer.

15fan
08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Btw...who are you referring to with the number 15? Foster?

Yes. There is no other.